advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

What approach would Arnold take towards bodybuilding in 2015?

Landmonster

Registered
I was recently watching some classic Arnold videos, and it got me thinking.

Obviously, Arnold had a very high quality, timeless physique. He had a certain look that has been rarely matched. He had more strength and body-mass than most of the competitors of his day, with a higher quality appearance overall.

However, by 2015 standards.... at 6'2", 245, Arnold would be a relatively "small" pro today. If people today criticize Arnold, it's usually due to a lack of mass, or for certain lagging body parts, such as legs, back, or triceps. I've seen a lot of people exclaim things like "Arnold would have to gain 35 pounds to set foot on the Olympia stage today!"

It is true today that pros are much larger...... probably due primarily to advances in drugs, supplements, and nutrition. The obvious trend over the years is that bodybuilders have had to get bigger and bigger to stay competitive.

While today's pros obviously eat more, and probably take more drugs (at least hGH and insulin) if not more steroids, the training does not seem to have significantly advanced. If anything, it may have regressed. The pros today seem to train far less frequently and with far less volume, and only sometimes with heavier weights. I don't know of any single pro today that is in the gym daily for hours and hours like Arnold claimed to be, or who trains their body-parts 3 times a week.

Arnold was able to row 315 for reps, squat 500 for reps, deadlift upto 700, and bench 400 for reps, and curl 225+ for reps. While he did not always train this heavy, he was capable of it. He supposedly trained 30+ sets, upto 3 times a week per bodypart.

In Arnold's defense about size.... there are 3 factors:
1) Arnold said, in more words or less... that after a certain point he never cared about gaining more mass. In other words, he stopped trying to gain weight. He was more interested in chiseling the perfect physique, and dialing in specific details about his look. The only places he wished he had slightly more mass were on his thighs, and triceps... but he retired to pursue acting and other pursuits. After all, even at 245lbs in his prime (28), he was one of the largest professional bodybuilders of his era. He didn't "need" more mass to win titles or gain fame.
2) Arnold did not have access (as far as I know), to hGH, peptides, insulin, and certain other steroids that were invented later. Nor did he have access to creatine, high quality protein powders, or other anabolic supplements that are also helpful. As far as I've heard: hGH and insulin alone are responsible for a lot of the sheer size of today's pros.
3) Arnold did not "eat" specifically for mass.... as he routinely ate 5-6 meals per day with normal portions, according to him. They did not live to routinely gorge themselves with food, nor did it never occurred to them to try to be 300lbs+ as bodybuilders.

This all may be true, I just wonder... "What approach would Arnold take towards bodybuilding in 2015?"

In Arnold's day, where everyone had a level playing field at the time... he was the dominant pro. We can argue about why he was the best, but to me it comes down to his work ethic and/or genetics. They all trained at similar gyms, and had access to the same food and drugs.

We can argue whether he took more drugs than anyone else (maybe, I don't know), or whether he trained MORE than everyone else (most likely), or whether his genetics contributed to his success (probably), or whether he had a better diet than everyone else (unlikely). Whatever he did, yielded him better results than his peers.

I just wonder what approach Arnold would have taken today, if he needed to be 290+ to be a dominant Mr. Olympia? Arnold was known for having a "do whatever it takes" type of mentality.

I am sure that if the sport required him to be 280, or 300lbs, then he would somehow achieve that size... albeit with perhaps a different look.

Obviously.... at the very least, his food intake would have had to increase.

Would he continue to train 3-5 hours a day with high volume?
Would he lower his volume, and aim to lift heavier weights?
How much would insulin and GH have helped a pro of his era, everything else being constant?

This is just meant for insightful discussion, not a bash of him or anyone else.

Last edited:
you should ask him

there is literally no way any of us could answer your question

I have spent years researching Arnold and his methods, from buying magazines dating back to the late 60's to books written by well educated guys from that era. Its very hard to find anything and Arnold was renowned for talking shit and pulling tricks on people.

My ideal physique and end goal is the Arnold / Serge / Ed Corney physique. There is a book called Muscle, smoke and mirrors which goes into some detail about that era in a more broad spectrum and it is quite interesting. Talks about powerlifters and some bbers using up to 250-500mg dbol a day etc.

Only Arnold knows, the only way to emulate it is to try your own things and take photos and see if your going in the right direction or not. I myself hired a good trainer and put my physique in his hands.. We will see if he delivers the goods.

I have spent years researching Arnold and his methods, from buying magazines dating back to the late 60's to books written by well educated guys from that era. Its very hard to find anything and Arnold was renowned for talking shit and pulling tricks on people.

My ideal physique and end goal is the Arnold / Serge / Ed Corney physique. There is a book called Muscle, smoke and mirrors which goes into some detail about that era in a more broad spectrum and it is quite interesting. Talks about powerlifters and some bbers using up to 250-500mg dbol a day etc.

Only Arnold knows, the only way to emulate it is to try your own things and take photos and see if your going in the right direction or not. I myself hired a good trainer and put my physique in his hands.. We will see if he delivers the goods.

The problem is that you are right... Arnold has a reputation for lying and inflating his own image. He is a celebrity after all. We don't even know if what Arnold is saying is the truth, or if he's just inflating his own image to sell books and magazines. After all, it was 40 years ago, and hard to verify. It could all be horseshit.

"Yea, I worked so hard.... you know, 3 to 5 hours a day in the gym, 35 sets per muscle group, 3 times a week.... and that's not counting my 500 situps daily, plus my daily 2-3 mile runs after training... we didn't even count that stuff as working out."

It could all be horseshit info designed to mislead people, or it could be grim reality, indicating that everyone else isn't working hard enough.

I guess I'm wondering, what if working that long and hard really did make the difference? Is 3-5 hours a day, 6 days a week really the ideal protocol?

Was it even real? If so, was that used year-round to gain mass... or just what they did 6 weeks before a contest?

I know most of them did no cardio, and had limited fat burners..... so their "fatloss" plan was to workout more before a contest to lose fat.

Last edited:
Arnold has said that he hates the shape of modern bodybuilders. The bloated stomachs bother him. I tend to agree

Arnold was relatively tall for a bodybuilder, but he probably 6' tall in his BB days.

Terminator made Arnold famous, not bodybuilding. Arnold is one of the most overrated bodybuilders in history. It's almost taboo to criticize him. Yea he had a few stand out body parts...but overall he was wasn't that special.

Arnold new what he had to do and did it, that simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with everything said so far
Except I think training knowledge has advanced
Today we know that training 4 hours a day 7 days a week will actually hinder size gains

Simply put the guy doesn't like to lose. I mean he could have been full of shit as a professional bb, actor and politician, but the bottom line is he wins. I personally prefer the look,symmetry and overall physique back then VS the majority of the guys competing at the highest IFBB levels these days.

As another poster stated and I agree: He would do what it takes to win and not only win, but win with confidence and just like back then some would mistaken his confidence for arrogance.

I am very biased because Arnold is my favorite BB of all-time and my 2nd would be: Gunter Schlierkamp

you should ask him

there is literally no way any of us could answer your question
Seriously...I can't believe people post this stuff since it's all complete fantasy. Landmonster...why do you and Adonis89 (who mods have said have the same ip) always randomly show up after time away from the board? Anyone ever gotten to the bottom of that?

I agree with everything said so far
Except I think training knowledge has advanced
Today we know that training 4 hours a day 7 days a week will actually hinder size gains
Maybe all that over training hinders sheer size, but maybe it builds hard muscle maturity:confused:

I don't think a 58 inch chest and 22+ arms and the word hindered really goes together lol.

LMFAO man I was thinking the same thing :yeahthat:

Seriously...I can't believe people post this stuff since it's all complete fantasy. Landmonster...why do you and Adonis89 (who mods have said have the same ip) always randomly show up after time away from the board? Anyone ever gotten to the bottom of that?

I have to respond since you're basically insulting me and questioning my authenticity.

First, it's not complete fantasy. Arnold was a real bodybuilder, who followed similar protocols to many of the pros of his era. I was asking a theoretical question about how he might train or do things differently today.... it was meant to stimulation discussion or thought. You could phrase the question differently, such as "How might a top bodybuilder of that era do things differently today?"

Obviously I can't ask Arnold directly... that's a smart-ass answer. Obviously, I didn't expect to receive a 100% verifiable answer

Second, I shouldn't have the same IP address as Adonis89, nor have I been away from the board for a long period of time. The reason our IP addresses may have appeared the same has already been resolved... we were using the same IP masking program at one point.

Why do you have to be a dick in every single thread you post in? You mostly just criticize members for asking questions, or you make insulting comments about people that you disagree with. The threads and posts you have to insert negative comments in aren't even targeted at you.

Last edited:
Arnold would take Kai Greene and book them together in a room the night before the contest to help him. After that night he will total mix him up. Kai will come to Vegas so ready, so strong, but after that night Kai will be ready to lose.
The room will be stocked with a grapefruit fruit basket.

Staff online

• Bio
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic