over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

What are you reading now?

hawkmoon

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
With some people spending more time indoors I'm curious what our little community is reading.

I am just finishing up Steven Pinker's "The Better Angels of our Nature". I am a big fan of Pinker's work.

In The Better Angels of Our Nature, published in 2011, Pinker argues that violence, including tribal warfare, homicide, cruel punishments, child abuse, animal cruelty, domestic violence, lynching, pogroms, and international and civil wars, has decreased over multiple scales of time and magnitude. Pinker considers it unlikely that human nature has changed. In his view, it is more likely that human nature comprises inclinations toward violence and those that counteract them, the "better angels of our nature". He outlines six 'major historical declines of violence' that all have their own socio/cultural/economic causes.

The book detailing the adventures of the 90’s Cowboy team and a book about attracting women through honesty lol

I have not been reading many books lately because I am rebuilding my website, editing
literally thousands and thousands of images, and going blind in the process But . . .
when I do find the time to read, I read a wide variety of books, about 2 a week (not that
many really) minus science fiction (with the exception of the Time Enough for Love,
a science fiction novel by Robert A. Heinlein, and one of my favorite books).

Usually I read a couple of books a week (my library card is the most precious card in my
wallet). When I am not reading books I just love reading magazines, subscribe to;
The Economist, The New Yorker, Harpers, The Atlantic, The New York Review of Books,
and The London Review of Books. I am so far behind reading these, I have an 8 inch
stack of them on my bedside table. And the stack is growing.

I usually have about 4 books going on at the same time, now I have just 2; Radical
Acceptance, Embracing Your Life With The Heart of a Buddha
by Tara Brach and Ego is
Your Enemy
by Ryan Holiday. So far, so good . . .

Hawkmoon; The Better Angels of our Nature looks promising and his premise sounds
and is interesting. Thank you. I will look forward to reading it if and when our library
reopens :(

Have cut back on Amazon Prime / Netflix, as i seem to be internalizing the stress of all this, and its affecting sleep, so less screen time, especially at night. Mainly brain candy stuff, currently reading the latest Jack Ryan book, just finished Deep State (very interesting), as well as a few others, like the latest Grey Man, Marc Cameron, Robert Ludlum, and a few others. Find reading makes cardio go by faster

Neither Here, Nor There by Bill Bryson. Very very fun to read! I'm about done. I'll start on some Paul Bowles next (re-reading him).

Maybe fiction is better these days all things considered...
I'll probably re-read the Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons next.
GREAT books if you like hard sci-fi.

Fiction has always been a healthy "escape" from reality. Also, sometimes fiction can be more true than reality.

A very interesting non-fiction is Empire of the Summer Moon, about the Comanche, they were brutal bad asses. Really really good historically accurate fiction is the series on Caesar and Genghis Khan, by Conn Iggluden, were fascinating to me.

Enemy at the Gates: The battle for Stalingrad. Kindle Unlimited is great if you enjoy reading.

At this precise moment, I just read the posts for this thread. :p

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William L Shirer

The Hour Between Dog and Wolf: Risk Taking, Gut Feelings and the Biology of Boom and Bust by John Coates

With some people spending more time indoors I'm curious what our little community is reading.

I am just finishing up Steven Pinker's "The Better Angels of our Nature". I am a big fan of Pinker's work.

In The Better Angels of Our Nature, published in 2011, Pinker argues that violence, including tribal warfare, homicide, cruel punishments, child abuse, animal cruelty, domestic violence, lynching, pogroms, and international and civil wars, has decreased over multiple scales of time and magnitude. Pinker considers it unlikely that human nature has changed. In his view, it is more likely that human nature comprises inclinations toward violence and those that counteract them, the "better angels of our nature". He outlines six 'major historical declines of violence' that all have their own socio/cultural/economic causes.

I'm a big Pinker fan Hawkmoon and have been meaning to give this a read. A colleague at work read it and said how fascinating it is.
Definitely gonna grab it now. I'm a big non-fiction guy.

2 I just finished were Shoe Dog by Phil Knight (read it like 2 years ago, and just reread it)
AND The Ride of a Lifetime by Robert Iger (best book I've read in a long time).

The Iger book is 1/2 memoir, 1/2 detailed leadership book. I dig that shit and read it in 3 days.
I also have Jordan Peterson's 12 Rules For Life sitting on my desk and I SHOULD read it.

I'm on book 3 of The Dark Tower series by Stephen King.
-F2S

I nerd'ed out a few years ago and started keeping track. I've been reading at least 52 per year for the last couple of years. Here's what I've finished so far in 2020 (with my rating too):

1The First Commandment (Scot Harvath #6) by Brad Thor (7.5/10)
2Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson (8/10)
3The One Man by Andrew Gross (8/10)
4The Last Patriot (Scot Harvath #7) by Brad Thor (6/10)
5Invisible by James Patterson (5/10)
6The Apostle (Scot Harvath #8) by Brad Thor (9/10)
7The Second Life Of Nick Mason (Nick Mason #1) by Steve Hamilton (6/10)
8The Strenuous Life by Ryan Swanson (5/10)
9The Institute by Stephen King (8/10)
10Walk of Ages by Jim Reisler (4/10)
11Wild at Heart by John Eldridge (9/10)
12The Book Thief by Markus Zusack (6/10)

I'm currently reading The Phoenix Project which is really a book that teaches business principles (mostly geared for the IT industry) but done as a novel about an inefficient IT department that learns to work more intelligently and effectively. I'm an engineer not involved in the IT industry, but I have learned a few things that should make me better at my job. If you like fiction and action, the Scot Harvath series (see my books #1, 4, and 6 above) is good . . . as is Mitch Rapp and Jack Reacher.

"You Are Worth It" Kyle Carpenter- Marine MOH recipient autobiographical/inspirational story (very humble takes his recovery perspective and applies it to anyones struggle)
"Call Sign Chaos" James Mattis- Leadership lessons and military career of Gen Mattis (I served under and spoke w Gen Mattis via phone after getting out. A hero of mine)
"You Are a Badass" Jen Sincero- Excellent self help/prospective (very very helpful. read multiple times)
"Gates of Fire" Steven Pressfield- Battle of Thermopylae/Spartan life (very interesting. loved this book and the history of Sparta)
"Killer Angels" Michael Shaara- The Battle of Gettysburg. Book the 90s movie was based on (Love the romance of the era. Watched the. movie a dozen times. Read the book many times before.)
"Starship Troopers"- Robert Heinlein SciFi military (not into SciFi. read it because it's a classic. Just ok imo)
"1984" George Orwell- Classic. Prediction of futuristic society controlled by government. (couldn't get into it)

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131