YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

What are your calories and macros while dieting?

petegriffin

Registered
I'm currently at about 2300 calories per day and my macros are around 300g of protein, 100-150 carbs ( 1 high carb day) and 50-70g of fat. I try to limit the carbs to before and after workouts. I still drink post workout shakes with whey and waxy maize carbs but only use half a scoop of the carbs.

Pretty similar to myself, maybe a tad higher on the protein and fats.

I used to always think I was a terrible dieter because I'd never really see progress losing weight until I got down to the 2-2.3kcal range, even if I was maintaining weight at 3.5-4kcal before dieting.

Then I started talking more with Jason Theobald and Cliff Wilson and picking their brains on prepping clients for shows. Both of them believe that some people are really metabolically flexible and they can both work their calories up pretty high without gaining a significant amount of weight and need to drastically reduce calories off the bat to see any real loss in body fat. They theorize is that it was a survival trait from when food was more scarce, the metabolically flexible people could maintain their weight on a broad range of calories and be able to maintain it when food was scarce and not lose weight until calories got really low.

Think I tend to be one of those people. Great in a food shortage, but a pain when I want to be shredded :(

I'm currently on

405 protein
270 carbs
100fats

3600 cals

Down 15lbs in 3 week on these macros and a cheatmeal once per week.

Very hungry

Like with all these threads, you're going to have people going with each high, moderate, and low carb/fats. The truth is your genetics will dictate what type of diet you should follow (although it seems EVERYONE should eat high protein). For me, moderate carbs and fats is best.

I know those feels, Allday. I was up to 350/725/95 at the peak of my bulk and the scale was barely budging. I'm now on my 5th week of dieting and down to 300/175/50 in order to continue making progress. It's a double edged sword lol.

A lot of this would depend on your activity level too. If you barely move around much, you probably need less than you think to maintain, and lose. It's the opposite if you're running around all day, and might need to actually eat closer to bulking calories to burn fat.

It's highly variable

I'm currently at about 2300 calories per day and my macros are around 300g of protein, 100-150 carbs ( 1 high carb day) and 50-70g of fat. I try to limit the carbs to before and after workouts. I still drink post workout shakes with whey and waxy maize carbs but only use half a scoop of the carbs.

How much do you weigh?

When I start a "diet" I start off cutting carbs because I feel fine without them.
I typically start at 1.5g protein per pound of body weight and .75g fat per pound , about 30% of my fat comes from coconut oil

So like 425g protein , 215g fat

Last edited:
I always keep protein the highest.
Medium fats
Low carbs

For losing fat and maintaining muscle.

If i want to gain.

I up the carbs, while protein is always highest and moderate fats.

Last edited:
When I start a "diet" I start off cutting carbs because I feel fine without them.
I typically start at 1.5g protein per pound of body weight and .75g fat per pound , about 30% of my fat comes from coconut oil

So like 425g protein , 215g fat

Do you have any high carb days thrown in through the week?

I'm around 400 protein 150-300g of carbs a day and about 30g of fats

Do you have any high carb days thrown in through the week?

What like to do if have a couple normal meals withe the family , generally my son has a couple buddies stay the night Friday nights so we'll grill some burgers and hotdogs of have pizza then I make breakfast Saturday morning which is eggs bacon and either biscuits and gravy or waffles. I don't over indulge on these meals at all or try to "carb up" just try to maintain some normalcy in the family.
I don't take in many carbs in my day to day eating , even when "growing phase" 100g-150g a day is normal for me. I just feel better on a higher fat high protein diet.
As I get closer to a competition I'll have a carb day where I'll replace all my fat calories (and some protein) with carbs from sweet potatoes for a couple meals then white rice and jam for the rest , this helps me get an idea how fast I fill up and spill over leading into a show.

I've tried to diet on higher carbs and lower fat and what I find is I have to have significantly less calories and do cardio to keep the fat coming off , that combined with not feeling as well just doesn't make any sense for me to try to use carbs as a fuel

What like to do if have a couple normal meals withe the family , generally my son has a couple buddies stay the night Friday nights so we'll grill some burgers and hotdogs of have pizza then I make breakfast Saturday morning which is eggs bacon and either biscuits and gravy or waffles. I don't over indulge on these meals at all or try to "carb up" just try to maintain some normalcy in the family.
I don't take in many carbs in my day to day eating , even when "growing phase" 100g-150g a day is normal for me. I just feel better on a higher fat high protein diet.
As I get closer to a competition I'll have a carb day where I'll replace all my fat calories (and some protein) with carbs from sweet potatoes for a couple meals then white rice and jam for the rest , this helps me get an idea how fast I fill up and spill over leading into a show.

I've tried to diet on higher carbs and lower fat and what I find is I have to have significantly less calories and do cardio to keep the fat coming off , that combined with not feeling as well just doesn't make any sense for me to try to use carbs as a fuel

Do you agree that Fat is more satiesting Than Carbs?

I can eat white rice like crazy and not feel full. When i eat 6 whole eggs i feel full for 6 hours.

For me no , I eat 6 whole eggs a cup of whites , 1/4 cup of cheese and 1/4 cup salsa and I'm hungry in 2.5 hrs.
White rice doesn't bother me much but oats and brown rice bloats my gutt for hrs.

I eat ALOT of vegetables with each meal , that helps keep me satiated.

250p/400c/60f
Is about a 1k Cal deficit

Man i can maintain on what seems to be 5x the carbs then what i need to use to cut. I also do like to see progress with my cutting pretty fast though. if the scale isn't moving at least a pound every 2-3 days i get annoyed

Macros = whatever it takes

my TDEE is 2700
1.2 g of Protein
3. to .4 g of Fat
The remaining number of calories left will be filled with carbs

it's quite simple.

when I'm in a huge caloric deficiet I increase my protein intake to 1.5 g

Last edited:
I love pop tarts !!!!

Sorry - my inner rainman comes out at times :eek:

Staff online

• Big A