over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

what do you do different when cutting

TrenSweater

Registered
Lets say your goal is to get very defined , i know that comes with low body fat, but what do you do differently in your workout, the high rep theory seems to be bullshit , do you focus on isolation, do you do heavy compound, what changes

Nothing as far as training. Diet cycle carbs and drugs, Well that's the easy part

I thought of carb cycling maybe 3 low days then a high day , still looking into that will probably use that method to get the last few pounds of fat off

I go a little lighter when I start to dry out

Training stays the same offseason or pre-contest. You change up your training and start going lighter when dieting down you will lose some size and fulness guaranteed. Stick with what got you there, one less variable to worry about. I keep to the same workouts, rep ranges, maybe the last week add in a few drop sets but thats about it.

I thought of carb cycling maybe 3 low days then a high day , still looking into that will probably use that method to get the last few pounds of fat off

You can do that or 5 low 2 high, 4 low 3 high, I prefer 5 low 2 high as it allows for good insulin sensitivity by day 6 of the week when you begin to bring carbs back in.
Experiment with it to find your 'groove'.

Training stays the same offseason or pre-contest. You change up your training and start going lighter when dieting down you will lose some size and fulness guaranteed. Stick with what got you there, one less variable to worry about. I keep to the same workouts, rep ranges, maybe the last week add in a few drop sets but thats about it.

This ! I remember when I first started out and was going for my first contest and I did that light weight pump shit and it really messed me up, I use the same routine, sometimes I down the volume when I know I need to or should. The only time I do high reps is if its part of the plan in order to keep some of the slow twitch muscle fibers there and strong! Definitely learned not to make more then a few exercises in a high rep range, only very seldom do I switch up the rep ranges like high reps on the heavy compounds is just a rare switch up to make things interesting.

Diet stays constant that way I know what to eat and how much , I tried carb cycling and I didn't really like the ups and downs , I prefer just to feel somewhat decent during the whole thing and I didn't notice any difference at all physique wise when carb cycling or going low carb , Its just hitting the EFA's / Protein, and start the carbs as high as I can get them and lower them every 2 -3 weeks depending on how much cardio I feel like doing.

One other aspect you have to adapt to or try to , is to tell your brain that your there to kick ass and improve , granted you will more then likely lose SOME muscle and maybe SOME strength ( depending on how lean you want to get), but if you can have a good mind set its very possible to beat PR's , at a certain point around 2-4 weeks out this becomes really hard but you still need to have the mindset. I have seen and experienced for myself just be like no need to worry about losing strength / muscle im cutting its going to happen, once you get that attitude its not very hard to continue with it, stay strong, both physically and mentally.

Training wise I drop volume and focus on 1 or 2 sets of all out intensity hit my numbers no matter what. All I'm worried about is preserving muscle, i focus on fat loss on non training days

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

This. I've been dieting and switched to higher volume n slower reps with the thought process that il be getting weaker anyway. while my mind muscle connection is better and can stimulate the muscle with a lot less weight my strength is embarrassing and I feel I would have held more muscle with less volume short intense workouts.

It seems heavy weight is the key to preserve muscle, but do you incorporate exercises like side laterals or just stick with heavy compound, do isolation really shape the muscle or another myth

It seems heavy weight is the key to preserve muscle, but do you incorporate exercises like side laterals or just stick with heavy compound, do isolation really shape the muscle or another myth

I mainly do big stuff, nothing fancy, no flys, no leg extensions. I don't do much isolation anyway as I'm still working on overall mass but even less when dieting. Last cut I got really lean while cruising and all I did for legs was 2 sets of leg press once a week and one set of leg curls as my hamstrings are naturally very over powered anyway. My legs actually grew about half an inch in 8 weeks if hard dieting and lossing about 15 lb if not more. Every set was fucking intense beyond belive

DIET is the main thing for cutting. I just lower carbs and increase proteins. The only thing i do different for training is adding Cardio.

Heavy weight is not the key to preserve muscle at all.:naughty: I don't know where you came up with that but you might want to do a little more research.You will get more muscle growth the more your muscle has time under tension. Time under tension and volume training to failure the maximum amount of blood you can pump into a muscle determine how big it is. By pumping the maximum amount of blood into muscle you are allowing your fascia to expand with means more space for muscle to grow.You want to incoroporate higher volume with lighter weight and heavy weights for low volume.Also you and to do slow controlled movements as well as explosive ones.Isolation movements are very important for shaping muscles. You want to concentrate and hit every muscle and break down as much as possible.

Heavy weight is not the key to preserve muscle at all.:naughty: I don't know where you came up with that but you might want to do a little more research.You will get more muscle growth the more your muscle has time under tension. Time under tension and volume training to failure the maximum amount of blood you can pump into a muscle determine how big it is. By pumping the maximum amount of blood into muscle you are allowing your fascia to expand with means more space for muscle to grow.You want to incoroporate higher volume with lighter weight and heavy weights for low volume.Also you and to do slow controlled movements as well as explosive ones.Isolation movements are very important for shaping muscles. You want to concentrate and hit every muscle and break down as much as possible.

Some very good points but individual response is key too. Of all the methods I've tried low volume heavy has been by far the best at preventing muscle loss for me personally. Probably because I know I've got too match last week's numbers and do it no matter what. If my diet and training isn't bang on I lose muscle quite quick when cutting. I've pretty much got it down to a tee now, but just purely through trial and error and what works for me. It's like the age old volume vs hit vs whatever, chose one you like and give it 100%. I love training heavy which is probably why it works so well for me, I really do give it 110%. You know what your on about for sure, I just think there's many roads to the same destination and some of us are better suited to different ones than others

Last edited:
Some very good points but individual response is key too. Of all the methods I've tried low volume heavy has been by far the best at preventing muscle loss for me personally. Probably because I know I've got too match last week's numbers and do it no matter what. If my diet and training isn't bang on I lose muscle quite quick when cutting. I've pretty much got it down to a tee now, but just purely through trial and error and what works for me. It's like the age old volume vs hit vs whatever, chose one you like and give it 100%. I love training heavy which is probably why it works so well for me, I really do give it 110%. You know what your on about for sure, I just think there's many roads to the same destination and some of us are better suited to different ones than others

Good point different methods work better for different people. I lift heavy but normally it is a minimum of 10 reps for me. All depends on the day. I keep a little higher volume normally and try to take everything to failure.I think muscle preservation all boils down to your nutrition plan plain and simple.

Good point different methods work better for different people. I lift heavy but normally it is a minimum of 10 reps for me. All depends on the day. I keep a little higher volume normally and try to take everything to failure.I think muscle preservation all boils down to your nutrition plan plain and simple.

Took me about 2 years to find the right diet for me. Intimitant fasting and plenty of carbs was key for me against everything I've ever read or been told. Was determined to learn how to diet naturally before relying on gear too much. Low carb diets just destroy my muscle

So big guy , are you saying you recommend a higher rep workout to preserve muscle.?

Eat bland food, learn to love Splenda cinnamon trader joes pink Himalayan sea salt mustard, do cardio, and be miserable.

Eat bland food, learn to love Splenda cinnamon trader joes pink Himalayan sea salt mustard, do cardio, and be miserable.

That doesn't sound like fun at all:mad:

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420