over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

What do you guys do for Mobility?

thethinker48

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
I recently picked up BJJ lightly on the side, and have realized a level of stiffness that my body has that I had no idea existed before.

I would stretch, and sprint around (occasionally) okay, but I literally have to take my leg and place it physically in places where guys are wrapping them with ease.

Do you guys do anything for mobility? Anybody play other sports where they see this?

One of coaches on the mat came up to me and said: "Man I didn't know crossfit guys are so stiff"...The crossfit comment stung more than being stiff lol

yeah bodybuilders are notorious for being stiff. some guys I see at the gym when they hold their phone and text between sets its cringeworthy they look so stiff and awkward just the way they hold the phone and send a text message, they look like their about to take a number 2 or are in pain. I hope I don't look like that lol. I do HIIT 1x a week I really should do more for mobility. the problem is we are so susceptible to injury, while your doing that kind of stuff to get to be more noble, something can pop or tear. recently hurt my knee doin sprints.

I recently picked up BJJ lightly on the side, and have realized a level of stiffness that my body has that I had no idea existed before.

I would stretch, and sprint around (occasionally) okay, but I literally have to take my leg and place it physically in places where guys are wrapping them with ease.

Do you guys do anything for mobility? Anybody play other sports where they see this?

One of coaches on the mat came up to me and said: "Man I didn't know crossfit guys are so stiff"...The crossfit comment stung more than being stiff lol
As a side note re BJJ most mobility comes from being in proper angles/positions, a lot of even high level guys have hyper mobility and get away with shitty technique and don’t know how to teach you what to do. An easy example, if your on your back(guard, half, side etc) you should never be flat on your back but rather on your side of your body always, there you will find much better mobility.

Also strength is always seen as a negative in many BJJ people, while as hyper mobility as ‘’technique’’....That is wrong imo at least, you can always add strength behind technique but never mobility behind technique.

Sex cardio....not even joking it’s a legit workout!

I do some physio stuff as activation before moving into banded work. After that I do some "athletic" type training which either looks to increase speed, coordination, or a specific movement pattern.

So for example this will be my next squat day

1) RPR Reset Activation
2) With a band; thoracic extension, glute extension & hip hinge, toe touches, hip IR/ER, cross squats, and ankle IR/ER
3) Overhead lunge till cardio vascular failure

Sounds like a lot but it's only 10 minutes of work.

Also getting yourself out of shit posture does more than any mobility program could ever dream.

Bikram Yoga helps my joints and lowered my blood pressure. Obviously not the most time efficient mobility workout, but it is good on off days to help recovery. I don't think it burns as many calories as they claim, but it does give a mild cardio effect.

Been doing BJJ Off and On for 22 years. Im 49 yrs old now so just roll easy but its a great add on besides weight training

As far as true joint mobility, the Functional Range Conditioning system is at the top of the game.

Look for the Parisi Warm-up. Using that allowed my hips to feel the best they've ever felt. I still get people asking me for that, and it's probably 20 years old almost. You can also look into Defranco's Agile 8 warmup. I've never done it, just have heard praise regarding it.

IronLion2 basically hits the outline for a good warmup.

Sex cardio....not even joking it’s a legit workout!
2 inch sprints really doesn't hep me with greater mobility. And shallow breathing and holding my breath will put me in oxygen debt but probably doesn't really take the place of cardio. But I will keep trying to improve my technique.

To be honest massages help with my stiffness after massage I feel So much better at the gym.

I'm 52 and after years of pounding weight it has limited my mobility. A few months ago I changed my warm up. I do cardio for 15 minutes then full body foam roller and full body stretches. Completely changed my mobility.

You just need time. Continue the BJJ, they do plenty of stretching and warm up.

2 inch sprints really doesn't hep me with greater mobility. And shallow breathing and holding my breath will put me in oxygen debt but probably doesn't really take the place of cardio. But I will keep trying to improve my technique.

Haha I really wasn’t joking about it, gotta get a little freaky tho....!

Lookup anything from mike boyle and eric cressey. Train like a track athlete and you will be more mobile and less injury prone than almost anyone

For me its very simple and extremely effective. Always do a 16 minute power walk on treadmill for 16 minutes with 4.7 MPH speed set and make sure you lance your arms explosively back and forth while power walking (to loosen up those back and shoulder muscles) and then always do a good 20 minute intensive full body stretch..stretching every single part of your body and holding it real good for at least 75 seconds each with maximum effort.
Always do this before your workout and on non workout days as well.
Then add in extra cardio after your workout to target your fat burning goals.
Do this everyday because the body has a way of losing its flexibility in a very quick amount of time.
I also find that if you do super heavy weights with low reps..it murders your flexibility in a very stupid way. If you can...add in a 20 rep total failure set after doing your warm up sets for each exercise. Higher reps=Maximum flexibility. Lower reps=compromising your flexibility (In my experience and personal opinion). For me..I may experience joy and elation to go super heavy for 5-6 reps..but then my neck..lower back..suffers for it..and its not worth it.

Personally, one of my favorite things is a static medicine ball and general good stretching exercises. And my chiropractor.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear