YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

What do you guys think is the most “humbling” machine or movement in the gym?

CorgisOnTren

Registered
Newbies
Just curious what others think. A heavy hack or pendulum definitely does it for me. Bonus points if my legs are already fried from movements before…

One of the gyms I visit has a certain plate loaded flat bench press. We actually named it the Humbler.
If you can bench 3 plates for 10 on the normal bench press, your lucky to do 225 for 10 on the humbler.

For me flat bench. Back in 08 I was a fluffy strong 250 on a gram of test. Started 5x5 routine. 225 add 10 lbs a week. Got up to 345 for 5x5 thought I was the man my pec didn't, muscle belly tear. Now even years later I'll tweak it so use machines, db for high reps etc. I'd imagine If I flat barbell bench today it would be sad

I'd also say chins. I'd bet there are alot of big strong guys who would be humbled in a chump or pull-up contest.

Squats, probably.

They just don’t give a shit. You can’t fake or force a squat.

You’re either strong enough, or nah.

And if you cheat on form, it’ll eff your back up as retribution.

The leg press and the seated calf raise. I think almost everyone uses more weight on those exercises than me. It gave me pause and worry. Then I realized on the leg press I'm the only one doing a knees-to-chest ROM with a 4x15 rep scheme. Due to the large amount of weight used on the exercise, the smallest variables make all the difference. Shortening your range and lowering the reps might make a 10% difference on other exercises, but the leg press will be one or more plates per side. Like the 71 year old at my gym who does 10 pps but bends his knees 1/8th of an inch.

I've only seen one other guy other than myself actually perform the negative part of the rep on seated calf raises. Everyone else grabs the 45's and just shimmys their toes.

One of the gyms I visit has a certain plate loaded flat bench press. We actually named it the Humbler.
If you can bench 3 plates for 10 on the normal bench press, your lucky to do 225 for 10 on the humbler.

I think I have the same one. Starts off really deep in the stretch.

stability squats on a half stability ball. I would bet most guys here cant do them. Ive seen one guy do them regularly one legged. He was about 5'6" on a good day so Im sure that helped. Nonetheless, you may be able to squat some poundages and walk away without being able to do even one.

stability squats on a half stability ball. I would bet most guys here cant do them. Ive seen one guy do them regularly one legged. He was about 5'6" on a good day so Im sure that helped. Nonetheless, you may be able to squat some poundages and walk away without being able to do even one.
While I agree they are probably hard, I guess hardly anyone on promuscle cares about doing them.

No way would I even attempt them!!!!! I’d break my hip! I’ll watch in awe on the side instead.

Cage

I guess pull ups would be high up the list. I mean the full dead hang, chin above the bar ones, not crossfit shite ones.
Talking of chins and pullups makes me think about how we define strength. What is stronger or more impressive

A guy who can bench 225 once but do 40 Chinese and even a One handed one.

Or a guy who can bench 400 but can't do 2 strict chinups?

The topic is the most humbling machine or movement in the gym.

True, hardly anyone at promuscle cares about doing them because they wont make you huge. Anyone who has a knee or leg injury will have a PT show them this and they'll be lucky if they are able to do even one or were able to do one prior to an injury. They arent "probably" hard. I'd bet money your average member here or at your gym can barely do one rep if one at all. That is humbling.

While I agree they are probably hard, I guess hardly anyone on promuscle cares about doing them.

Talking of chins and pullups makes me think about how we define strength. What is stronger or more impressive

A guy who can bench 225 once but do 40 Chinese and even a One handed one.

Or a guy who can bench 400 but can't do 2 strict chinups?

Strength to bodyweight ratio.

That is what impresses me.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member