over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

What do you guys think?

Shelby

IFBB PRO / Double Featured Member/Kilo Klub
IFBB PROS
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Based on the training theories of a handful of individuals, I've 'concocted' the following protocol. I'm currently very close to some BBing shows, so I'm not really in a position to give them a very good test.. that will have to wait until the offseason.. but here it is anyways:

I split my body two ways, as follows:

Chest (2-3 sets)
Back (2-3 sets)
Shoulders (2-3 sets)
Triceps (2 sets)

Quads (2-3 sets)
Hams (2-3 sets)
Calves (1-2 sets)
Biceps / Forearms (2-3 sets combined)

In each workout, I alternate exercises, so that the first exercise would maybe be incline smith bench (5-7 reps), then move to seated rows (5-7 reps), then rear pec-dec (6-8 reps) for shoulders, then back to chest with maybe a dumbbell press (8-11 reps), then pull-ups (8-11 reps) then dumbbell laterals (8-12 reps). The last circuit would be different exercises again, maybe flies then db rows, then military press, and again higher reps (11-13). I would then do extreme stretches for chest, shoulders and back, then finish up the workout with two triceps exercises (maybe decline db extensions for 6-8 reps, and then pushdowns for 10-13 reps) and then extreme stretching for triceps. I never go to absolute failure on any of the sets, but maybe work up and hit failure once every 3-4 weeks or so. All workouts are in the 35-40 minute range, which includes the stretching but does not include initial warm-ups (I really only warm-up for the first exercise though, after that I might do one small acclimation set for the next exercise, but it’s very light and just to get a feel for the movement). I will train this way every day, rotating upper body with lower, until I need a day off. Right now I’m going 2-3 days before taking a break, but I’m very close to my contests and my energy and recuperation levels are limited. In the offseason I can probably see going 3-4 days before a break, but I will go by feel rather than a set schedule. I rotate different exercises, but try to stick to more basic compound movements as they give more bang for your buck. I make an effort to lift progressively from workout to workout, but right now I’m not recording much, and again, I don’t lift to absolute failure (maybe a rep or two shy). I think every 6-8 weeks I will take a complete 7-9 days off from the gym, then return with lighter weights / higher reps and gradually ease back into the heavier program. For the lower body day, I start with a squat or leg press and consider that a ‘thigh’ movement rather than either quad or ham. Then I move to a hamstring movement like a SLDL or curl, then to a quad dominant movement like leg extensions or sissy squats on the hacks. Then back to one more ham movement, then a quad movement (higher reps each time) and then extreme stretches for quads and hams. Then on to calves, either one DC set (5 second negative, 15 second stretch) or 2 straight sets, subfailure, followed by extreme stretching for calves on the leg press or donkey calf machine. Then on to biceps forearms, which is maybe hammer curls for 6-8 reps, then reverse curls for 8-10 reps, and maybe finish with cable curls for 12-15 reps.

So good or bad, what are your thoughts?
Thanks

!berserker said:
Based on the training theories of a handful of individuals, I've 'concocted' the following protocol. I'm currently very close to some BBing shows, so I'm not really in a position to give them a very good test.. that will have to wait until the offseason.. but here it is anyways:

I split my body two ways, as follows:

Chest (2-3 sets)
Back (2-3 sets)
Shoulders (2-3 sets)
Triceps (2 sets)

Quads (2-3 sets)
Hams (2-3 sets)
Calves (1-2 sets)
Biceps / Forearms (2-3 sets combined)

In each workout, I alternate exercises, so that the first exercise would maybe be incline smith bench (5-7 reps), then move to seated rows (5-7 reps), then rear pec-dec (6-8 reps) for shoulders, then back to chest with maybe a dumbbell press (8-11 reps), then pull-ups (8-11 reps) then dumbbell laterals (8-12 reps). The last circuit would be different exercises again, maybe flies then db rows, then military press, and again higher reps (11-13). I would then do extreme stretches for chest, shoulders and back, then finish up the workout with two triceps exercises (maybe decline db extensions for 6-8 reps, and then pushdowns for 10-13 reps) and then extreme stretching for triceps. I never go to absolute failure on any of the sets, but maybe work up and hit failure once every 3-4 weeks or so. All workouts are in the 35-40 minute range, which includes the stretching but does not include initial warm-ups (I really only warm-up for the first exercise though, after that I might do one small acclimation set for the next exercise, but it’s very light and just to get a feel for the movement). I will train this way every day, rotating upper body with lower, until I need a day off. Right now I’m going 2-3 days before taking a break, but I’m very close to my contests and my energy and recuperation levels are limited. In the offseason I can probably see going 3-4 days before a break, but I will go by feel rather than a set schedule. I rotate different exercises, but try to stick to more basic compound movements as they give more bang for your buck. I make an effort to lift progressively from workout to workout, but right now I’m not recording much, and again, I don’t lift to absolute failure (maybe a rep or two shy). I think every 6-8 weeks I will take a complete 7-9 days off from the gym, then return with lighter weights / higher reps and gradually ease back into the heavier program. For the lower body day, I start with a squat or leg press and consider that a ‘thigh’ movement rather than either quad or ham. Then I move to a hamstring movement like a SLDL or curl, then to a quad dominant movement like leg extensions or sissy squats on the hacks. Then back to one more ham movement, then a quad movement (higher reps each time) and then extreme stretches for quads and hams. Then on to calves, either one DC set (5 second negative, 15 second stretch) or 2 straight sets, subfailure, followed by extreme stretching for calves on the leg press or donkey calf machine. Then on to biceps forearms, which is maybe hammer curls for 6-8 reps, then reverse curls for 8-10 reps, and maybe finish with cable curls for 12-15 reps.

So good or bad, what are your thoughts?
Thanks

It's good that you've set up a protocol for yourself, something most people fail to do. And it's also good that you're going to commit to what seems like a long period of time.

I would say that you should give this protocol a go for about 6 months and see what happens. My only suggestions for modification would be:

1) I wouldn't take 7 to 9 days off simply to give your body a rest. You should continue to go to the gym, just go alot lighter, or try new exercises and not be so strict with your diet. This way you're giving yourself a mental break without telling your body that you've given up exercising.

2) Using the DC protocol for calves is interesting, but understanding why it works is also important. He's telling you to do this BEFORE doing heavy quad and hamstring sets, not after. You seem to be doing it at the end of your workout which kind of defeats the purpose. As well, you're then isolating forearms, which should be plenty worked from your SLDL's, assuming you're putting enough weight on the bar. I've never been a fan of directly training forearms.

3) What is your diet going to be like on this type of training?

BrooklynBB - thanks for the feedback. Here are my responses to your inquiries, let me know what you think:
1. I was basing this on the "strategic deconditioning phase" of HST. Why do you think that a "cruising" type workout would be better? It seems like a full break would elicit a better response when you return to the weights?
2. What is the reasoning for hitting calves before quads / hams when DC training? I never knew there was a reason for doing it first, other than saving your heavy quad work for last so you could "put your all" into it, then leave the gym. I am also doing dumbbell stiff-leg deadlifts, with wrist straps, and my toes on plates to emphasize the stretch / focus on my hamstrings more than quads. Done this way, I don't think I'm getting much forearm work.
3. My diet in the offseason is fairly high carbohydrate and high protein. I am a Troponin Nutrition client both precontest as well as offseason. Right now I'm 2 weeks out of one show, and 6 weeks out of another, so my calories are restricted. So I can't really assess the program very well until this summer.

Thanks again, I look forward to your input (or anyone else's).

Last edited:
To show what I've got to work with, here are some pics from last Sunday, 20 days out of the first show.

I'm 5'6 1/2", and in these pics I'm about 189lbs.

Attachments

• 4-30 fdb.jpg
    4-30 fdb.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 426
  • 4-30 st.jpg
    4-30 st.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 462
  • 4-30 ant.jpg
    4-30 ant.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 447
  • 4-30 rdb.jpg
    4-30 rdb.jpg