over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

what do you think?

joeshow5

Banned
the following was sent to me by a family member that I always preach drinking more water to.

Bottled water has become the fastest growing commercial beverage sold in the United States. In 2005, Americans spent nearly $10 billion on bottled water. And now we are seeing ads for bottled water containing several added (and unneeded) vitamins.

This got me thinking about the origin of the oft-cited notion that we need to drink at least eight glasses of water — presumably in eight-ounce glasses — a day. I can understand taking a bottle of water along on a long hike or 20-mile bicycle ride. But it's hard for me to keep a straight face when I see grown adults sucking on bottles of water in the course of ordinary activities.

Do all these water-bottle-toting folks know something we don't about the benefits of guzzling large amounts of H2O? Or is this another trendy accessory to help us feel better about ourselves, not founded on medical fact?

Several years ago, a report from the Institute of Medicine set the record straight about how much water we should be drinking. It didn't state the number of glasses of water we should drink; rather, it recommended a total daily intake of about 91 ounces of water for women and a total of 125 ounces of water for men.

About 80 percent of this total water can come from beverages like milk, fruit juices, coffee, tea, and beer, not just from drinking water. The remaining 20 percent can come from soups and the water contained in fruits and vegetables.

Should we be counting water consumption like calories? No. According to the IOM report, thirst is an adequate guide for almost all healthy people for meeting their daily needs. The report set no upper limit on fluid intake, but noted that excessive amounts can be dangerous.

Aggressive advertising by the bottled water industry, urging us to drink more water to ensure good health, may help to maintain the "eight glasses of water a day" myth. Surely these ads partly explain why so many otherwise-sensible people find it necessary to carry a bottle of water while attending business meetings or walking down the street.

OK, perhaps they're thinking that bottled water is better than tap water. But is it really? The International Bottled Water Association (IBWA) created the policies regulating the industry and claims that bottled water is subject to more aggressive quality standards than tap water. The IBWA, however, isn't quite an unbiased source of safety information for the industry.

To date, no independent investigation has shown that bottled water passes more safety and health checks than tap water. In fact, the National Resources Defense Council (NRDC) tested 103 brands of bottled water and concluded there was no assurance that water out of a bottle is cleaner or safer than water from the tap. Another of their conclusions didn't surprise me either: They estimated that 25 percent or more of bottled water is nothing more than tap water.

Given the lack of objective research or evidence to favor bottled water over tap water, the decision on which to drink comes down to an individual choice. However, two things we know for certain: bottled water is more convenient and more expensive than tap water.

The NRDC reported that a five-year supply of bottled water cost over $1,000 compared with $1.65 for the same amount of tap water. Not to mention the environmental impact of the many discarded plastic water bottles that are not recycled.

If you feel the convenience is worth the cost, by all means choose bottled water; but don't feel compelled to drink a lot of it to maintain good health

I agree, the "8 glasses a day" figure is a myth. Or that water from milk, coffee, soft drinks etc don't count. Of course, a bb consuming a lot of protein should drink more than that, but that figure (for everyone) is a myth.

Caffine and alcohol both dehydrate you, so how is coffee and beer a good source of water?
Well, caffeine has mild diuretic effects but the diuresis doesn't equal the water you get from the coffee or soft drinks containing caffeine IMO. In fact, there was a study showing coffee being effective for rehydrating after exercise, as effective as the same amount of pure water.

Most people arn't healthy to begin with! Exercise is a requirement for good health and more exercise means more water consumption! The average american these days are overweight and under active! Just like the person who sent me this article!

Well, caffeine has mild diuretic effects but the diuresis doesn't equal the water you get from the coffee or soft drinks containing caffeine IMO. In fact, there was a study showing coffee being effective for rehydrating after exercise, as effective as the same amount of pure water.

That must be some weak ass coffee then. I know the coffee I drink dehydrates the fuck outta me. I'm peein' like every 10 minutes. Soft drinks, yes, but they don't contain nearly as much caffeine as coffee. And, beer for hydration? What a joke.

As for the question of hydration.......85-90% of the population walk around dehydrated all of the time. people just do not drink enough water. wether it's from the tap or from a bottle they just do not drink enough!! Beer for hydration huh??? That's funny. When I really want something to drink I do not reach for coffee, beer or soft drinks........it's water and lots of it. I drink on average 8-9liters a day. I have no problems with hydration or water retension.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131