YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

What does 'Progressive Overload' look like for you?

Kauto_star

Registered
Thought this would be a cool thread...

Interested to see how you guys look at progressive overload and would be great to harvest your opinions on what works for you and what you feel has given you best results and progress.

Is it looking to add weight each workout?
Is it looking to add a rep or 2 from the last workout?
Is it about beating the log book from last week?
Is it more TUT?
Drop sets?
Less rest?

Do you go to failure on each set? 1 set? Multiple sets of the same exercise?

Also interested to see how you perform your sets and when you look to up the weight. Do you stay at a certain weight in the gym for a week or 2 to ensure consistency before you increase the weight?

Thanks all.

Add weight or reps each week.

Say it's 20-30 rp, when I get close to 30 up the weight.

If it's 3x12, add weight when I exceed 12 in the first set.

Always to what I call failure. I never understood "leave a few in the tank" rir mentality. Maybe for squats, but if someone thinks they are going to fry their CNS and not be able to progress on biceps because they took their peacher curls to failure I don't know what to say.

Never trained using rir but I can't imagine someone stopping a set of reverse pec deck short of failure because they think a few more reps will overtrain.

In all the plans I write for myself or my clients, I break everything up into 8 week blocks.

Week 1&2- This is your base volume to assess where you are starting at.
Week 3&4- We increase volume these weeks while keeping weight and intensity relatively the same
Week 5&6- We keep weight and volume the same, but we bring up intensity, add things like drop sets, super sets, forced reps, anything to get you beyond failure
Week7&8- Deload. One extra day off these weeks, no sets to failure, reduced volume, reduced intensity, same weights.

The idea is that when you start week 1 again for another base volume, you're now able to move heavier loads and repeat the process.

Unfortunately, we can't just keep adding volume/weight/intensity every single week, if that were the case we would all be benching well over 1klbs by now lol.

I find that this approach works very well for my clients and I, as something is always progressing and there is always a clear method of progressive overload.

Adding weight to main lifts
Adding reps to assistance movements
Adding everything to cardio

Adding a rep to the top set each week till you get to 12 reps then add weight which reduce reps , then start over increasing reps and so on

I just saw Paul Carter post on 50% sets. Do a set to failure, rest a minute, try and then get half the reps on the second set Seems silly to me. On a rest pause set 12-15 breaths your resting 30-45 seconds and I'm guessing most people can get half the reps on the second mini set. Doesn't seem very challenging what Paul proposed.

I just saw Paul Carter post on 50% sets. Do a set to failure, rest a minute, try and then get half the reps on the second set Seems silly to me. On a rest pause set 12-15 breaths your resting 30-45 seconds and I'm guessing most people can get half the reps on the second mini set. Doesn't seem very challenging what Paul proposed.

Idk how anyone listens to anything that guy says.

I've been doing something new. Myo reps but in a much simpler less structured way than I usually see. Say I superset barbell curl and JM press. 3 sets of each. On the final set, say I get 12. Now I just rep it out taking breaks as needed and double the initial number. So I hit 12, now 12 more. I guess similar to a widow maker or "Seth set".

That would only work on certain exercises

Increasing reps each week with X weight, while keeping form as close to perfect as possible. If the reps go up, but form is shit, keep working until its close to perfect.

Once that rep range has exceeded with close to perfect form, add weight next week.

And so on….

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bradyfan127