Votes: 15 57.7%
  • Lower reps heavy weight?

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • other

Votes: 5 19.2%

• Total voters

Boxhead

Registered
Do you believe in tons of reps, or lower reps heavier weight? How many sets for each muscle group? How about supersets, or dropsets, or do you pyramid?

What has worked best for size for you on arm day?

I don't have an arm day per se. Years of powerlifting routines where arms were irrelevant for appearances. I do do lots of heavy pressing for tris and I will add in high rep band pushdowns for the tris and elbows. I sometimes add in dips as well on a bench/chest day. I usually target higher reps on dips too since its a finisher. But make no mistake all my bench, incline and shoulder press are 6 or lower unless I do a pump rep-out set.
For bis largely the same. I might add something at the end of back day. 6-12 reps of whatever.

You probably want the bodybuilders to come in and comment. And I probably should listen too, could use another inch on the arms for symmetry :eek:

I don't have an arm day per se. Years of powerlifting routines where arms were irrelevant for appearances. I do do lots of heavy pressing for tris and I will add in high rep band pushdowns for the tris and elbows. I sometimes add in dips as well on a bench/chest day. I usually target higher reps on dips too since its a finisher. But make no mistake all my bench, incline and shoulder press are 6 or lower unless I do a pump rep-out set.
For bis largely the same. I might add something at the end of back day. 6-12 reps of whatever.

You probably want the bodybuilders to come in and comment. And I probably should listen too, could use another inch on the arms for symmetry :eek:
I do a workout closer to power lifting I suppose, I used 5x5 for a few years now, and would like to put size on them.

low reps, heavy.

i do arms and chest together...

rope exts and overhead rope exts for tris
either ez bar curl and hammer curls and next arm day rev grip ez bar curls and alt db curls

I do single sets/super set mix w/ - Heavy sets, Volume Sets, Pump sets with bands....

On YouTube Jay and Ronnie do 10-15 reps with moderate weight, looks like they just rest 1 to 1,1/2 mins per set, and sometimes till failure.

Just thinking they pump up their arms for hypertrophy. One of the two most common and visible forms of organ hypertrophy occurs in skeletal muscles in response to strength training (known as muscle hypertrophy). Depending on the type of training, the hypertrophy can occur through increased sarcoplasmic volume or increased contractile proteins.

So again, is volume training and less rest (say 1-2 min) idea for muscle mass?

Theres no “ONE SET” method for growth. Your body is your experiment. Practice low reps with high sets. Practice low reps with low sets. Practice high reps with low sets. Practice high reps with high sets. Practice Drop-sets and Supersets. Pick one style and do it for minimum 5 weeks. If nothing occurs in 5 weeks, move on to the next style. If the next style works for you, STICK TO THAT STYLE! Everyones bodies are different, and we all respond differently to different stimuli.

Doing DC now but before I did usually 3 exercises, 3-4 work sets (sometimes 2), 8-12 reps with good success.

I do my arms with back. 2 different exercises preacher curls and dumbbells. I keep my working sets in the 8 to 10 range. I do them slow concentrating on the negative and the squeeze at the top.

3 work sets reverse pyramid. 6-8-10 bis, 8-10-12 tris, one a week

On YouTube Jay and Ronnie do 10-15 reps with moderate weight, looks like they just rest 1 to 1,1/2 mins per set, and sometimes till failure.

Just thinking they pump up their arms for hypertrophy. One of the two most common and visible forms of organ hypertrophy occurs in skeletal muscles in response to strength training (known as muscle hypertrophy). Depending on the type of training, the hypertrophy can occur through increased sarcoplasmic volume or increased contractile proteins.

So again, is volume training and less rest (say 1-2 min) idea for muscle mass?

The whole idea of FST-7 that Cutler uses is to indeed pump up a muscle, stretching the fascia, and filling it full of nutrient-rich blood (you need a good small meal before working out to get them nutrients) and it is a mass routine, so the simple answer to your question is yes :D

Along with back, arms are my strongest bodypart. If I do anything, a few sets of curls every week or two. Triceps....never.

Tris:

1. Close grip benches
-3 sets with heavy as I can go for around 6 reps

2. Some form of Overhead Extensions like French Presses
-3 sets with heavy as I can go for around 10-12

3. Some type of isolation Exercise
-1 sets for a pump set 20 reps then drop set of another 20 reps

Bis:

1. Barbell Curls
-3 sets with heavy as I can go for around 6 reps

2. Hammer Curls
-3 sets with heavy as I can go for around 10-12

3. Some type of isolation Exercise
-1 sets for a pump set 20 reps then drop set of another 20 reps

or sometimes instead of isolation exercise next workout would do 2 sets of reverse curls for 2 sets of 15 reps

First off i do arms every tuesday and i open up with a 2cc shot of syntherol in the outer bis and a 2cc shot in the top tri.Then i do 6 sets of hammer curls loose form,6 sets of standing db curls very strict,6 sets of machine preachers.Then 6 sets of weighted dips,6 sets of overheads,6 ste of rope pushdowns then 10 sets of bb wrist curls and that keeps my arms around 23" cold at 260.

First off i do arms every tuesday and i open up with a 2cc shot of syntherol in the outer bis and a 2cc shot in the top tri.Then i do 6 sets of hammer curls loose form,6 sets of standing db curls very strict,6 sets of machine preachers.Then 6 sets of weighted dips,6 sets of overheads,6 ste of rope pushdowns then 10 sets of bb wrist curls and that keeps my arms around 23" cold at 260.
GEEZE, that many sets?:eek:

Personally I feel like an Arm-day is really not productive. I typically split my Back days into two days where one day I do Rhomboids and Biceps then 3-4 days later I do Lats/Width of Back with Biceps. No arm day for me.

6-9 sets has improved my Biceps (arms) more than doing 12-25sets. Can't do high volume with Biceps. 30min max with 6-9 sets on top of Back (for biceps) and Triceps on top of Chest or Deltoids...

Biceps (2-3 exercises max)

Preacher Barbell Curls 3 sets 10

Standing Barbell Curls 3 sets 8

does it for me otherwise

Barbell Curls 4 sets of 20 reps

Incline DB Curls 4 sets of 20

Preacher One arm DB Curls 21 methods 7x7x7 4 sets total

Triceps: I'll do 2 exercises

#1) Close-grip bench press 4 sets 6-8

#2) Incline Bench EZ-Barbell or Decline Bench EZ-Barbell Skullcrushers 3 sets 12

Give it a try guys!

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity