YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

What does your intermittent fasting diet look like for longevity purposes?

These 4, 6, 8 hour eating windows aren't really fasts. If you want to do this sort of diet, I would just do one large meal (so 23.5 hour fast and .5 hour eating window) per day. Maybe a pre-workout shake/snack on training days.

The studys posted on IF bodybuilders from ergo-log on page 9 refer to the 8/16 as intermittent fasting, guess the definition works for me, even if it is a technical one. My stomach growls every late afternoon and night a bit, which is how I can tell I will be loosing additional fat daily, and the electronic RENPHO scale I hop on every morning records the fat loss drop and muscle holding, which is good enough for me. A consistent 1lb of fat a week, sometimes as much as 1.5lb of fat a week, it melts off with keto diet + intermittent fasting + running during the fast for 15 minutes, simply upping the running to 25 minutes or more will cause the nearly 1.5lb of fat a week loss.

danieltx on page 8 said:
Brad Rowe has been doing intermittent fasting lately and just posted on Instagram about it:

Quote:

This is the result of almost 4 months of non traditional bodybuilding approach and still sitting at 240lbs!
Since December I have been fasting 16-18hrs a day at least 5 days a week and following a ketogenic diet with refeeds every 10-14 days. This past week I started a 3 week experiment on Carnivore diet and not going to lie....my digestive system loves it!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvcqzskF1HY/

Obviously his genetics are better than most of us here, but it's possible for really big guys to do intermittent fasting successfully.
Great post danieltx.

NYmuscle said:
I do 1 to 2 meals a day. 250g+ protein and yes protein powder - (make a protein sludge/pudding) with each meal. Im also keto all the time. Super easy to keep size but not ideal to gain a lot of lbm this way.
I've been doing the 230g protein a day (lots of met-rx daily with the food) and keto as well but have 3 meals between 6 and 2:30PM, not only keeping size, but making good strength gains and adding decent size...even able to add a 40g met-rx protein plus at 7pm on workout days during the fast to help muscle gains and it has no effect on daily fat loss as it makes up for the expended calories during the am workout. My weight is 210 at 12%. I also run for 15 or more minutes during the fasting period each day whether I workout that day or not.

The recent studies posted on page 9 with graphs on bodybuilders who used IF added strength to bench press, leg press, arm's etc. that were comparable to those who did not use IF, even exceeding those who did no fasting in many cases!

I found this to be true myself, I've exceeded all my previous strength records during the many months I've used IF with running daily. But do consider that I use TRT/and twice a year 8 week cycles of 525 test a week, and a ton of supplements from 9g HMB daily to 15g bcaa's, 6g CLA and 1500mg arachidonic acid daily on some months, other months just on workout days, perhaps it has something to do with keeping up the strength gains while fasting with running. Not to mention the studies showed no loss of muscle mass when fasting and running together.

To stay sane I eat sugar free jello every night during the fast, I make a box of strawberry banana and let it sit 6 hours in fridge then it is ready for nighttime. A cool keto snack is a bit of cheese melted onto a stack of pepperoni pieces--microwave for 10 seconds--these are called pizza bites and sometimes will add one to my am breakfast of 6 eggs to get my calories up a slight bit for my pre-workout.

I've gone back to keto + IF, but more for satiety and appetite control reasons than anything. I'm at right around maintenance calories or slightly above, so not necessarily looking to lose anymore body fat, even though I'll still lean out a little more. Plus, keto works pretty amazing for my Crohn's and levels out my mood completely.

My calories are exclusively demand driven, but I still eat no more than twice a day. If I have an off day and am not doing much, I either have one meal closer to bed or simply just fast. If I'm very active, my calories come up a bit and I'll have two meals within two or three hours of one another. Before bed, always before bed; my insomnia is awful without it. I've noticed no difference in fat loss or digestive issues eating that close to bed compared to eating first thing in the morning.

I do around 50/45/5 for macro breakdown, protein/fat/carbs. If I want to lean out a little more, fat comes down. Mini cuts can be beneficial, as well, almost a PSMF style but lasting no more than a week or two at a time. Any more than that, and you're asking to lose muscle and possibly trigger a binge response, which is exactly what I'm trying to control. Every so often, I'll do a prolonged fast of 48-72 hours, but no longer than that; I feel there can be a point of diminishing returns if I go longer than 72.

Maybe this is all a little unconventional, but it definitely works for me.

I'm all for eating junk food once or twice a week - we amatuers are doing this "bodybuilding" thing for quality of life, and having some snacks is part of that. But when we are talking about ideal diet, calories from foods like cheese, pepperoni, just don't make any sense to me (especially in enhanced lifters who can't see an increase in Test from such consumption). I don't see dietary fat, especially saturated fat, offering much of any benefits during a fat loss phase. You already have plenty of saturated fat in your system - body fat. Why not burn that for fuel instead of cheese and pepperoni, etc.

You're absolutely right, and why I don't eat the pepperoni bites anymore. I threw that crap in the trash. I stick with just the eggs, even Luis Villasenor said he gets all his fats from the foods he eats. It's nice having a grocery bill that's only a portion of what it used to be.

The whole concept of eating from the moment you wake up till the moment you go to sleep is just flawed, even an ergo-log study on IF showed that if you give the same calories to someone who eats from breakfast to dinner vs. one who eats in an 8 hour windown, the person who eats in the 8 hour window will burn alot of fat during the day, while the other does no such thing.

Keto plus fasting is a match made in Heaven, I remember loosing as much as 3lbs of fat in one week just from the fasting and a meesley 15 minutes of running every day.

When the body is adapted to burning fat all day, there are no ups and downs in energy, and you can go for long periods without feeling hungry.

The only thing I cant do is workout in a fasted state, as I read it will raise cortisol, is this true? I do just fine after a breakfast of eggs and 1 tbspoon flax seed oil and a scoop of met-rx with my supplements.

I dont think I could handle working out with an empty stomach...I lift heavy nearly all the time.

I read JohnJuanb1 gave it a try earlier in this thread.

I’ve put on plenty of fat but I figure that’s necessary to really grow. My body feels less injury prone.

Totally agree. If you are natural, there is no other way to get fat to become strong and create some muscle. Staying lean does not allow you to train hard.

Favorite keto lunch I make after every leg workout day is the following:

"keto tacos" which is simply 80% lean 20% fat ground beef from costco which is placed on pieces of peeled off big lettuce with a little bit of 1-carb shredded 4-cheese mexican on top with a bit of zero calorie taco bell sauce (comes in 7oz bottles for $1 at grocery store)

Lettuce head
taco bell zero calorie mild or hot sauce
255 grams of 80% lean ground beef from costco = 700 calories, 70g protein, 45g fat

Close to no carbs, as no taco shell, the lettuce serves as the "taco shell"

Since I get plenty of fat from the ground beef, on this lunch for example, I would not eat 1/2 of an avacado with it, but save the 1/2 avacado to eat on days that I eat 2 grilled chicken breast. Same with flank steak for lunch, on the days I eat the steak, get around 24g of fat from the steak, so I would not eat 1/2 an avacado on those days either.

The met-rx is always the last meal of the day at 2:30 pm, which is 3 scoops of met-rx protein plus in water and ice with 1 tablespoon of no carb heavy whipping cream = 60g protein, best protein drink ever--just like sugar free ice cream. Best using met-rx since I was in my 20's, contains slow digesting casein, milk protein, egg protein, and whey all in one.

The met-rx is always the last meal of the day at 2:30 pm, which is 3 scoops of met-rx protein plus in water and ice with 1 tablespoon of no carb heavy whipping cream = 60g protein, best protein drink ever--just like sugar free ice cream. Best using met-rx since I was in my 20's, contains slow digesting casein, milk protein, egg protein, and whey all in one.

I do this, too. Whey protein with heavy whipping cream is amazing. I use a base of however much whey I'm going to use, plus a few tablespoons of PB2. I'll add the whipping cream a tablespoon at a time, then start adding water until I get the desired consistency. I then add a little Torani sugar free vanilla or caramel syrup and whip it until smooth-ish pudding. I let it set in the fridge for a little while and it's fucking delicious.

waaaaaayyy back i used to make protien pudding with no flavor whey iso and sugar free jello pudding mix.... that n the zero cal cool whip! omg! lol eat 100g of pro by accident!

protien pancakes too.. wtf did do...
i think grind some oats in the food proccessor, just a lil then ton of that pro, eggs n i think a spoon of apple sauce. maybe a lil milk but dont rememeber and cinnamon!

favoring note on the unflavored, you can use nesquick for the gym, you can still find with regular sugar. cheap choco flavor and carbs:lightbulb:

I've been a Sports Nutritionist for over 20 years. Write tons of diets. One of the most basic rules of Nutrition is that you can not digest more than 50 grams of protein per meal. Unless you follow Bro Science. Maybe absorb up to 60 grams immediately post WO. So eating more than 100grams of protein per meal is a waste. Not my opinion, real science.
BTW, fasting does give your digestive system some time to heal from all the work it normally does.

I've been a Sports Nutritionist for over 20 years. Write tons of diets. One of the most basic rules of Nutrition is that you can not digest more than 50 grams of protein per meal. Unless you follow Bro Science. Maybe absorb up to 60 grams immediately post WO. So eating more than 100grams of protein per meal is a waste. Not my opinion, real science.
BTW, fasting does give your digestive system some time to heal from all the work it normally does.

Do you mind posting the science behind that?

I saw a video by Milos I believe and he explains it pretty thoroughly how the body will use up/absorb a lot more protein than is led to believe, I think he said the science/studies that were done on protein absorption were done on elderly/sedentary people if I remember correctly...

So silly and embarrassing.

Protein absorption:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10867039

- study conducted by scientists the National Human Nutrition Research Center (France) had 16 young women eat 79% of the day’s protein (about 54 grams) in one meal or four meals over the course of 14 days.

Researchers found no difference between the groups in terms of protein metabolism.

Furthermore, if we look at the amount of protein in the high-protein meals relative to the average body weight of the participants, it comes out to about 1.17 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight.

Apply that to a "normal sedentary" man weighing 80 kilograms (176 pounds), and you get about 94 grams of protein in each meal.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

i do 21/3 since months without any break and consume 220g proteins within 1 hour of my 3 hour window.
i guess if your theory was right (which it isnt, ive read to much over the months to believe so :D) then i guess i would have lost an incredible amount of muscle..
and for the guy that asked if you can train hard & fasted:
-absolutely!! i even prefer it to being full and lethargic..
drink 2 black coffee prior to your workout and see if you really lose much intensity (well, maybe when you are doing it for the first time, but your body adapts pretty quick)..
(and please dont kill me because i drink black coffee during my fast. for me im still fasting, idc if some ppl say otherwise..)

i do 21/3 since months without any break and consume 220g proteins within 1 hour of my 3 hour window.

i guess if your theory was right (which it isnt, ive read to much over the months to believe so :D) then i guess i would have lost an incredible amount of muscle..

drink 2 black coffee prior to your workout and see if you really lose much intensity (well, maybe when you are doing it for the first time, but your body adapts pretty quick)..

(and please dont kill me because i drink black coffee during my fast. for me im still fasting, idc if some ppl say otherwise..)
I train fasted anywhere from 16 to 20hrs.

I eat 1 to 2 times a say. 150gms protein per meal is not uncommon for me.

Love it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

i eat a kg o meat at time too bro... lol
shrinking doesnt seem to be a problem here either! lol

I also prefer to train fasted. Arnold used to just eat some light fruits before his workout.

i eat a kg o meat at time too bro... lol
shrinking doesnt seem to be a problem here either! lol

i fucken love my 800g chicken with my low carb teryiaki sauce, mushrooms, brocolli, califlower and conjac noodles (im reverse dieting right now , so do not wonder that there are near to no net carbs.. i get them in my second meal from 500g blueberries and 60g oats)

Im trying new stuff with this . I like the idea of fasting all day and not eating until night before bed. In addition i like the idea of eating protein and fats before bed or even true keto, more fats than protein, like cheese, eggs, avocado, almonds, and not deliberately taking in protein- doing this every so often or now and again.

Some days Ill do in the gym and train on empty , depending on the body parts, esp if I got ate a lot of night before, like getting up in middle of sleep and eating.

If its an off weight training day like I did today I woke up at 10 , went to gym personal trained, after personal training did cardio, came up cooked and ate at 3 before work. worked.... came home ate at 12....woke up at about 3 and ate again.

Tomorrow is chest so Id like to get in a good size breakfast 50 grams protein, 60 grams 10-15 grams fats......then pre training , 25 grams protein and 20 carbs, during training some bcaa's post training 50 grams carbs and 50 protein, hour or later meal...then every three hours after that , so it depends on the day and bodypart.

Last edited:

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members