over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

What happened to the upright row??

comedycentral

Registered
when i first started training everyone did this movement.

you never hear of it anymore...anyone still use it??

any results from it

Still use it, still love it

Almost every shoulder workout. Good for overall development, and warms up my traps before doing shrugs

i still do it every shoulder day. but i change my hand grips to diff positions

Dorian Yates thinks is a useless exercise. What are they for? shoulders, traps, some biceps? lol thats what he said, I tend to agree kinda.

love/ hate.. i love the wide grip version for medial delts.. but hate what it did to my elbows.. did them for years.. decided one day a few months ago to go a bit heavier.. very strict but went for a lower rep range.. 8's.. last set felt a pain in my elbow.. went in and iced it.. took some anti imflams.. thought everything would be fine.. well two months later.. no workouts and doc says elbow is a mess..

if you are still going to do them use a little wider than shoulder width grip and pull until elbows are just level.. no higher.. use a higher rep range and go smoothly.. no "branch warren" type movements..;)

I use them sometimes, though my shoulder joints and bicep tendons are not particularly fond of them. I find a wide grip hits the medial delts quite nicely. As Lats said, use a smooth movement and don't try to force the bar up too high.

Been doing them a long time. Had to switch to a wider grip eventually. When I started them years ago I did a very close grip. After a few months my shoulders and elbows felt like dog shit, and I attributed it to the close grip. After widening it out some, the pain eventually subsided. I think it's a great exercise though, definitely a staple in my shoulder workouts. Its rare to see guys in the gym doing these with a lot of weight on the bar, I like to be one of those few.

PS - I also used to pull all the way up to my chin. Now I stop around my collar bone, and I feel that is a better range of motion in terms of avoiding potential injury.

ITS BAD

not good at all for your rotators guys, I learned the hard way and then read about it in a book about shoulders. Haven't done it in years and don't miss it, just overhead presses and side laterals, and I get compliments on my delts regularly, they are probably my best bodypart.

Dorian Yates thinks is a useless exercise. What are they for? shoulders, traps, some biceps? lol thats what he said, I tend to agree kinda.

Sounds like an efficient exercise to me. Kill 3 birds with one stone. lol.

Rack Pulls might be a better alternative though.

Yes

It's the only direct shoulder exercise I do now. Shoulder width grip.

Don't extend all the way down (can overextend bicep) and don't take it all the way up (can injure shoulder joint).

On the upward movement, don't break your wrists (keep hand and forearm in same plane. If you break your wrist, you are going too far up and might feel a pinched nerve pain in shoulder as weight of movement gets directed anterior and medial away from middle delt and towards the joint.

I'll see if I can find a video.

Kind of a dorky video, but this is how I do them. No pain ever and I feel the middle delt burning the entire range of motion, except I don't go down as far as he was going down.

YouTube - The Upright Row

yes.. he does them right in the video.. where i screwed up was letting my wrists break.. here is what i did.. by letting my wrists it put a goodly amount of stress on the wrist and in turn f'ed my elbows.. if one link in the chain goes they all go.. this caused some soft tissue damage in my elbow which is impinging my nerve in my elbow and wrist.. doc says (ortho) the irritated nerve can take months to recover.. i still feel the effects today and this happened on the 4th of nov.. still not training.. waiting for elbow to feel better.. at my age cant afford to be brave/stupid lol.. theres a fine line..

not good at all for your rotators guys, I learned the hard way and then read about it in a book about shoulders. Haven't done it in years and don't miss it, just overhead presses and side laterals, and I get compliments on my delts regularly, they are probably my best bodypart.

x2. upright rows are terrible on my rotator cuff. i stick to shoulder presses and laterals.... more than enough for beast delts.

I no longer perform this exercise since I had both shoulders cut on....the Dr. that did the surgery said this is probably one of the worst movements for shoulders so is this true or not. :)

I still do them and love them.Have problems with my wrists sometimes but those are permanent war wounds. It's still one of my all time favs

Rope/cable variation

As a physiologist, I do not agree with those who state it is bad for the rotator cuff. Too vague of a statement with too many variables like muscle imbalances, posture, form, hand/grip position, range of motion performed, ect. I absolutely love the results I have gotten from supersetting db side laterals with cable upright rows in a pre-exaust fashion(using a tricep pushdown rope and only performing the top 3/4 of the movement in a constant tension type movement). This has really helped me over the years put some serious muscle on the delts after having shoulder surgery and a full physical therapy rehab.

Best trap isolator period. I do once a week. I really like on low cable close grip. Isolates like no other.

rarely do them.....

but IF i do.....

its on the smith......wide grip

:cool:

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner