over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

What Have You Learned ........

I have learned to try different types of eating and give them a fair try.

When I was 22 you couldn't have convinced me that I'd ever be worried about my joints, my cholesterol, or injuries. I was so damn hardheaded that I had to learn lessons the hard way all the time.

Lean- read about and try the eating methods you read about. See how supplements, etc affect your blood work. If you have a brain in your head, later on in life all that stuff will matter to you. Without your health, you can't train.

If I train like a powerlifter as I did for most of the years I have trained, I will get hurt. Even when I feel strong, I don't do heavy singles, doubles and triples anymore. I don't want to tear a pec, ruin a shoulder, get another hernia, or destroy my knees at this point. Some guys can, I cannot.

I have done more powerlifting meets than bodybuilding contests, but in my case the risk isn't worth it. I did sets of 20 reps yesterday on chest and back and guess what? I am still 272 lbs today. Even though I did that pussy workout yesterday. All those RULES I had for myself weren't necessary. EXAMPLE: If I don't squat heavy today I am a pussy even though my back isn't recovered from my deadlift day. Stupid crap like that.

The "rules" I always have followed that I still believe in: 1. Be consistent- in eating, training and resting. 2. Listen to your body. If you think you might be getting hurt-STOP! Don't barrel on and ruin yourself. 3. Learn all you can- throw away the stuff that doesn't work for you. 4. Stay true to yourself- Just because everyone else is jacking themselves to the gills etc. doesn't mean you have to be like that. Make sure your goals are just that YOUR GOALS.

This is a good thread, Iabadman.

When I was 22 you couldn't have convinced me that I'd ever be worried about my joints, my cholesterol, or injuries. I was so damn hardheaded that I had to learn lessons the hard way all the time.

Lean- read about and try the eating methods you read about. See how supplements, etc affect your blood work. If you have a brain in your head, later on in life all that stuff will matter to you. Without your health, you can't train.

If I train like a powerlifter as I did for most of the years I have trained, I will get hurt. Even when I feel strong, I don't do heavy singles, doubles and triples anymore. I don't want to tear a pec, ruin a shoulder, get another hernia, or destroy my knees at this point. Some guys can, I cannot.

I have done more powerlifting meets than bodybuilding contests, but in my case the risk isn't worth it. I did sets of 20 reps yesterday on chest and back and guess what? I am still 272 lbs today. Even though I did that pussy workout yesterday. All those RULES I had for myself weren't necessary. EXAMPLE: If I don't squat heavy today I am a pussy even though my back isn't recovered from my deadlift day. Stupid crap like that.

The "rules" I always have followed that I still believe in: 1. Be consistent- in eating, training and resting. 2. Listen to your body. If you think you might be getting hurt-STOP! Don't barrel on and ruin yourself. 3. Learn all you can- throw away the stuff that doesn't work for you. 4. Stay true to yourself- Just because everyone else is jacking themselves to the gills etc. doesn't mean you have to be like that. Make sure your goals are just that YOUR GOALS.

Took the words right out of my mouth, JT! Injuries suck, and I agree, they hurt a lot more down the road as we age:(

Just a few mythological "rules" to add to your list:

The days of feeling like we had to time our last meal of the night, or wake-up at 2:38am (and 22 second exact) to slam a protein drink, and of course possibly ruin a good nights sleep......because we thought we might be in a catabolic state or lose LBM:D I mean, I have no problem with doing this, but I don't make it a point to do it either...lol.

Thinking we are going to shrink by missing a workout while on vacation, or just on a night where a gathering is involved...lol!

Stressing out and eating healthy on HOLIDAY dinners/meals:confused:

Lack of just taking an all-out vacation altogether for enjoyment....while not even thinking about the gym.

Worrying about white rice vs. brown rice:D

Decline offers to go and do recreational sports, hiking, backpacking, etc....because it might exert energy towards catabolism....since we as BB/PL....<gasp>.....already workout and exert too much energy. Because, 20 years down the line, that extra 0.000005643 of "weight" we helped save really was more important than a day of possible memories with the boys, or the wife and family.

The gym and extra hours will 'make' women like us more....because we are "sexay-er." Imean, why does she like that Abercrombie and bitch fool with 12" arms, when I am 6% and have 19" arms cold??? WTF is she thinking:confused:

LOL....anyway...I was going to make a separate thread, but am too lazy to exert the extra energy to start one, thus putting myself in a catabolic state...felt more compelling to put it in this thread:D :)

BMJ

Last edited:
Wow! This thread is 6 years old and for the most part nothing has changed. If you keep everything simple and focus on the basics, you will grow.

Good post! I feel the same way! I used to laugh and make fun of the "older" guys complaining of aches and pains in the gym. HaHa! Now I know why they would look at me and laugh! :(

I'm in your category! Cannot! Even with pain meds. (good ones too).

PO

Took the words right out of my mouth, JT! Injuries suck, and I agree, they hurt a lot more down the road as we age:(

Just a few mythological "rules" to add to your list:

The days of feeling like we had to time our last meal of the night, or wake-up at 2:38am (and 22 second exact) to slam a protein drink, and of course possibly ruin a good nights sleep......because we thought we might be in a catabolic state or lose LBM:D I mean, I have no problem with doing this, but I don't make it a point to do it either...lol.

Thinking we are going to shrink by missing a workout while on vacation, or just on a night where a gathering is involved...lol!

Stressing out and eating healthy on HOLIDAY dinners/meals:confused:

Lack of just taking an all-out vacation altogether for enjoyment....while not even thinking about the gym.

Worrying about white rice vs. brown rice:D

Decline offers to go and do recreational sports, hiking, backpacking, etc....because it might exert energy towards catabolism....since we as BB/PL....<gasp>.....already workout and exert too much energy. Because, 20 years down the line, that extra 0.000005643 of "weight" we helped save really was more important than a day of possible memories with the boys, or the wife and family.

The gym and extra hours will 'make' women like us more....because we are "sexay-er." Imean, why does she like that Abercrombie and bitch fool with 12" arms, when I am 6% and have 19" arms cold??? WTF is she thinking:confused:

LOL....anyway...I was going to make a separate thread, but am too lazy to exert the extra energy to start one, thus putting myself in a catabolic state...felt more compelling to put it in this thread:D :)

BMJ

O' yeah! another good one!

PO

I've learned alot over the years..but the biggest thing I have learned is that life is to short to be chasing after trophy's all the time...Honeslty, with Sarah and Grace in my life I have the best trophy a guy can get...:D

Ok as for training, and what not...I have learned that I need to listen to my body and not continue to push it hard when it say's to rest...Dont do as many intensity tricks, (forced reps, rest pause, drop sets, ect, ect) As this always leads me to overtraining after a month or so...Unless, im in pre contest mode, and my diet is on point...(for some reason, I never feel tired or beat up during prep)

Diet wise...Always stay on the top of this if you want to continue to improve...But, it is also good once a year (say around holidays, christmas, ect) to give the body and organs a break with all that protein and stuffing yourself (or force feeding)...I normally just eat about 2-3 meals the final 2 weeks in december...to enjoy the holidays, and my family...plus to give my body a much needed break...(no training to)...I might lose a tad bit, but hell it comes back with in a week, once I the new year starts up again....

As for precontest prep, I have learned that keto with a nice heavy carb up on the weekends works great for me...and I can grow on a keto diet...as long as im getting in healthy fats and a good amount of red meat...My strengh is usually at its strongest, within the first 4-6 weeks once I start keto...But I dont do it year around...So the effects of keto work much better once I start (the theory of gotta take something away or do something different to have good effects) my diet....

Gear wise..I believe that we all use to much for the most part...and we can probably all grow on much less if we just tried it out...I have learned that I always seems to grow very well if I do about 600-800mg of test...after that, (once I hit a gram) I do grow better (not going to lie about it) but I have more side effects...I can do 200-300mg of test every 3rd or 4th day, and get some great results...along with feeling good, and healthy...to cycle with test I like a good anabolic, like deca or eq (300-400mg per week) and maybe a good oral to kick the cycle off...(d-bol at 25-50mg ED, or A50 50mg ED)....If you can do that along with a great diet, and some intense balls to the wall training, I think you can grow all you want...HGH, would enhance the cycle (IMO) as it seems for me to just help me recover faster, plus gives me a whole different look to the muscles...Rounder, fuller, and crazy pumps...

ok thats my input for now...might have more later...

Staff online

• Bio
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
HughJass