over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

What I have learned over the years !!!

chris250

Featured Member/ Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Ok Guys and Gals,

This thread is what you have learned in bodybuilding or otherwise that you can share with everyone here on PM...So I will start !!!

Training - I have learned that If I do to much volume or to much HIT stuff (Forced reps, negatives, RP) I will overtrain in a few weeks...So my best way for ME to train is to go to positive failure and thats it...I might be able to get away with a forced rep or two, but I cant do much more than that...As for how many sets I can do, around 10-12 on bigger bodyparts and 8-10 on smaller bodyparts...Sometimes I can get away with a few more sets if I feel good, but if I do it to many days in a row, my CNS gets fried...As for what rep range is best for me, I believe that for legs I should go around 15-25 reps (quads), for my best quad growth, for hams around 15, calfs and abs around 20-25 reps, everything else is good with 10-15 reps...I might go a tad lower on upperbody movements, but if I do, I usually dont feel it as well...

Nutrition (precontest) - For diet I have learned that almost every type of diet (higher carbs, low carbs, higher fat, ect,ect) will work for my body...But, I cant go more than 2 or 3 days on lower carbs (below 100 grams) before I start to flaten out and lose muscle...I feel my best bet with diet is to rotate carbs (2-3 days low or moderate) then bring them back up for a day or two (250-500 grams)...As for fats, I my body responseds well to a diet with some healthy fats and I can get learner with them in my diet more so than not having them...Even if Im going moderate carbs I believe my body will still need them for health reasons along with burning fat...So fats should be for ME around 50-100 grams per day, depending on my carb intake...As for protein, as long as im around 350-400 grams a day, and Im using good sources of protein then im good to go...I dont feel adding in more is going to help me grow any better, and I actully believe if you have to much protein in your diet, than you wont be able to lose fat as well if you carb intake is to high...

Cardio - I believe cardio for me is the key to getting ripped, I really believe that you should do some cardio when you dieting down for a show...and it should be low intensity for long duration...I believe in the Palumbo way for cardio...If you do high intense cardio, I believe you could lose muscle or flatten yourself out...The best way to ME is to do long duration (45 mins) and at a very low intensity...I also believe you should do it first thing in the morning, before you eat ANYTHING...Just take your thermo's and drink water let them kick in and go...Dont eat anything until your done.. I dont believe you will lose muscle in that 45-60 mins if you dont eat before cardio...I really believe you wil actully burn more fat, and get leaner much faster this way...

(EDIT) I'll add things in when I think of them...

Last week prep - Last week prep should be easy if your ready to go...I think this should be an easy week, the less you do the better...I dont believe in depleting, carbing up, water managment, ect, ect...Honestly, the best method is the KISS princiable...If you try to many things your only going to mess up and look worse...

Gear (offseason) - First off, I believe you can gain alot of muscle using moderate to lower doses...I also, believe that staying on longer with lower doses, is better than higher dose, shorter cycles...I also, believe that you can make some serious gains with just one compound (test) and not have to stack if you dont want to...A dose of 500-750mg (depending on age and time in the gym) is good enough for the newer guys....If you do stack, use just one compound such as Deca or EQ is good enough...I dont believe in using 4-6 different products, that it will bring in better results..I believe you will only confuse your body, and not grow as well...Use an Anti- E only if you have to...they could hinder your gains, because you need some estrogen to help with the growth process...I got more, but let me think about it

Bulking up - I dont think bulking up (over 30lbs contest) is for me..I have learned over the years, that I lose muscle very fast once my metabolism kicks into high gear...Plus, I cant lean up as well when I bulk up over 25-30 lbs over my contest weight...I think if you have to diet for more than 12-15 weeks, than you got to fat in the offseason..For the last few years I only have needed about 6-8 weeks to get into great shape, and then only about 2-3 weeks to fine tune it...so a total of about 10 weeks is all I need to get into contest shape...I also have learned that I grow much better when I stay leaner in the offseason...

taking time off from the gym - After you have trained for more than 10 years, and have built a conserable amount of muscle, I believe for ME, I can take a month or two off to help my body recover better...I did this for the last few years, and I never really lose much muscle at all...Maybe 10lbs or so...But when I start to train again, I gain it all back plus some...I really gain almost better, because of muscle memory...It also, helps my CNS recover, because by the time im ready to take time off, my CNS is fired from all the dieting and thermo's products...

Ok I'll do some other subjects later but for now that is it...

chris

Last edited:
Good thread.

I have to agree with you with regard to cardio. I have trouble getting ripped without it, although I suspect that my love for eating might have something to do with this.

Just curious, what do you consider to be low intensity cardio? For example if you were running on a treadmill (or maybe not running at all) what speed would be low intensity for you? Do you just measure it by heart rate?

I agree with you on having to do cardio to get ripped but I've found for me that post workout cardio works far better. I seem to lean up faster and keep more muscle. I also can get away with only doing 30min sessions. I've gone as high as 45 though but 30 seems to do it.

I am with you on the cardio Chris! I think it is a requirement.

As far as lifting, i have learned (since my complete pec tear) that if you feel completely uncomfortable in a particular exercise(for me bench press), there really isn't a need to do it as there are other probably just as effective mass builders out there.

I have so much to learn about my body but heres what I've taken notice of;

Sugar and pasta add fat to my frame extremely fast!! I also get extremely bloated and distended from these. Waxy Maize doesnt seem to have this affect on me....

Rice/Bread/limited White Potatoes...fill me out really well. I dont get that sugar distention but I look my best on these. + they dont add fat to my body as fast as the other types.

Sweet Potatoe/Brown Rice....dont fill me out as-well, but I feel my bodys temperature raise after eating these for a period of time.

Red Meat/Chicken/Eggs... I definitely look my best while sticking to these, keeping protein shakes to a minimum.

Fish... Unless Im doing a no carb diet, its best for me to stay away from high fat foods. I had weight so fast, but if im not careful I could end up looking like a Pillsbury dough boy in no time.

Water...The more I consume the better I look.

Training.... Volume just dont work for me. Training high frequency high intensity, with big weights seems to be working well so far!!

Correct me if I'm wrong but cardio post and or in the morning go by the same theory that your body will tap into fat reserves because the stored glycogen will have been depleted, and therefore having to find and alternative (body fat).

I have had my best results with eating high carbs in the morning and then trying to eat lower carbs as the day goes on. My workouts would generally be late afternoon/early evening. If I lifted that day then cardio after lifting, or sometimes it would be a pure cardio day taking place during the same time the lifting otherwise would.

While this got me more lean than anything else I have tried, I suspect that the fact that I was the most consistent during this time (I was in college) was the real key. Now that I am in law school my workouts and cardio are sporadic at best. :(

Ok Guys and Gals,

This thread is what you have learned in bodybuilding or otherwise that you can share with everyone here on PM...So I will start !!!

Training - I have learned that If I do to much volume or to much HIT stuff (Forced reps, negatives, RP) I will overtrain in a few weeks...So my best way for ME to train is to go to positive failure and thats it...I might be able to get away with a forced rep or two, but I cant do much more than that...As for how many sets I can do, around 10-12 on bigger bodyparts and 8-10 on smaller bodyparts...Sometimes I can get away with a few more sets if I feel good, but if I do it to many days in a row, my CNS gets fried...As for what rep range is best for me, I believe that for legs I should go around 15-25 reps (quads), for my best quad growth, for hams around 15, calfs and abs around 20-25 reps, everything else is good with 10-15 reps...I might go a tad lower on upperbody movements, but if I do, I usually dont feel it as well...

Nutrition (precontest) - For diet I have learned that almost every type of diet (higher carbs, low carbs, higher fat, ect,ect) will work for my body...But, I cant go more than 2 or 3 days on lower carbs (below 100 grams) before I start to flaten out and lose muscle...I feel my best bet with diet is to rotate carbs (2-3 days low or moderate) then bring them back up for a day or two (250-500 grams)...As for fats, I my body responseds well to a diet with some healthy fats and I can get learner with them in my diet more so than not having them...Even if Im going moderate carbs I believe my body will still need them for health reasons along with burning fat...So fats should be for ME around 50-100 grams per day, depending on my carb intake...As for protein, as long as im around 350-400 grams a day, and Im using good sources of protein then im good to go...I dont feel adding in more is going to help me grow any better, and I actully believe if you have to much protein in your diet, than you wont be able to lose fat as well if you carb intake is to high...

Cardio - I believe cardio for me is the key to getting ripped, I really believe that you should do some cardio when you dieting down for a show...and it should be low intensity for long duration...I believe in the Palumbo way for cardio...If you do high intense cardio, I believe you could lose muscle or flatten yourself out...The best way to ME is to do long duration (45 mins) and at a very low intensity...I also believe you should do it first thing in the morning, before you eat ANYTHING...Just take your thermo's and drink water let them kick in and go...Dont eat anything until your done.. I dont believe you will lose muscle in that 45-60 mins if you dont eat before cardio...I really believe you wil actully burn more fat, and get leaner much faster this way...

Ok I'll do some other subjects later but for now that is it...

chris

This was yesterday but at the moment you are exploring a new way, aren´t you.
Try and decide - live and learn.

This was yesterday but at the moment you are exploring a new way, aren´t you.
Try and decide - live and learn.

Yeah KTT,

Phil is training me and Im learning to eat only when im hungry, and my training is different now to...I like Phils way for training cause Im only going to positive failure now...Plus, I like the 3 day split...

Offseason:

I've learned how to keep my training volume within my ability to recover, for the most part. Trial and error. Body talks, I listen. It fluctuates to a degree based on lifestyle variables.

Carbs are timed around meal 1 and pre/post training in the offseason, with occasional cheats. One red meat meal per day. Cardio for active recovery, aesthetic, and general health purposes.

Big lesson that took time to learn: DON'T STRESS ABOUT BODYBUILDING. :) Just do what you got to do if you want the results. Put in the time and effort.

Prep:

Hire someone you trust. Follow the plan. Stay motivated.

Yeah KTT,

Phil is training me and Im learning to eat only when im hungry, and my training is different now to...I like Phils way for training cause Im only going to positive failure now...Plus, I like the 3 day split...

Thanks for the post Chris

How does only eating when you're hungry work when the appetite drops off for whatever reason (stress, illness, personal problems) making it impossible to get the necessary protein needed to grow?

Not disputing, just curious in the theory:)

Thanks for the post Chris

How does only eating when you're hungry work when the appetite drops off for whatever reason (stress, illness, personal problems) making it impossible to get the necessary protein needed to grow?

Not disputing, just curious in the theory:)

Striated One,

So far Im lucky that hasnt happened yet...So I guess I will ask Phil what to do when that happens..But my meals look like this...Im eating 3-4, food meals, 2-3 pepto pro shakes, and LBA's 4-5 times a day...

chris

Your going to laugh but its about 2.0 mph's...LOL !!! that is the fastest I will go...

whenever i did the palumbo diet i was walking at about 2.6-2.8 mph at 2-3% incline to stay just below 120bpm. But with your way chris 2mph you ight spare more muscle actually.
Also something else i noticed, i like to sleep 9-10 hrs a night when i can for recovery but when dieting i set my alarm for 8hrs and get up to do my cardio. otherwise im too hungary when i wake up to do cardio before i eat, later in the day ill take a small nap between meals.
Something else that ive learned from guys around me using slin if you use oats as your carb source instead of simple carbs you can keep your carbs lower, to stay lean while growing. Im afraid of slin but some guys i have seen really grow while staying lean or even getting a bit leaner in the process.

Hey Chris I sent you a PM like forever ago, dude...get back to me or I'll come hunt you down...oh and great post btw. Really good insight.

Last edited:
Hey Chris I sent you a PM like forever ago, dude...get back to me or I'll come hunt you down...oh and great post btw. Really good insight.

Hey Luke,

I thought I sent it back to you...??? Oh well, I'll PM you my number...what gym are you training at, what time ???

chris

Are you taking any carbs/fats with your pepto pro to balance it out like your meals?

Are you taking any carbs/fats with your pepto pro to balance it out like your meals?

Yes, I will add in some fats (olive oil, flax) and some fruits...I do this with the LBA's to...

chris

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner