over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

What is the best post workout carb?

Ahhh, the great POST WORKOUT SHAKE...the biggest MYTH in bodybuilding nutrition. GOTTA LOVE IT!! :banghead:

Ahhh, the great POST WORKOUT SHAKE...the biggest MYTH in bodybuilding nutrition. GOTTA LOVE IT!! :banghead:

Ross, what if one doesn't have an appetite for food tho? I can't eat after I lift. I've tried, just can't do it. I can have an apple/banana/pineapple and shake, but can't eat food (lol, fruit is a food but you know what I mean)

I for some reason just can't eat a lot of food. A little bit of fruit and a shake is about it. what would you recommend?

Ross, what if one doesn't have an appetite for food tho? I can't eat after I lift. I've tried, just can't do it. I can have an apple/banana/pineapple and shake, but can't eat food (lol, fruit is a food but you know what I mean)

I for some reason just can't eat a lot of food. A little bit of fruit and a shake is about it. what would you recommend?

ARNOLD discusses this in his book..

First and foremost, you should wait at LEAST 20 minutes after your workout before you start eating a meal, so that blood will be available...

If you have no appetite from hard training, he suggests(as do I) to make YOUR OWN PROTEIN SHAKE from REAL FOODS such as RAW EGGS, MILK, BANANAS, AND YEAST. The recipe I use is:

1 cup of milk(whole or skim, depending on goals)
1 cup of pasteurized liquid egg whites
2 Raw OMEGA Eggs
1 banana
1 Scoop YEAST

**INTERESTING Side-Note:

Scientists at the University of Texas medical branch in Galveston found that drinking whole milk after lifting weights boosted muscle protein synthesis—an indicator of muscle growth—2.8 times more than drinking skim did.

Can you enlighten me on the benefits of adding yeast? Is it for digestion?

Chocolate milk if you feel you must . . .

Inexpensive, easily available, and very effective. Plus, it tastes good and is good for you.
I know, I know, you are a bodybuilder and are different ;)

Chocolate Milk: The New Sports Drink?

**broken link removed**

Can you enlighten me on the benefits of adding yeast? Is it for digestion?

Oh man, that's a very LONG discussion! :)

I will let Vince Gironda explain:

It should be evident from all the test results that Liver & Yeast is the ideal supplement for the bodybuilder and athlete. No other supplement combines so many vital factors necessary for bodybuilding progress and endurance and stamina for any type athletics.

The number of tablets one should consume per day is an individual thing and varies with what goals the individual has in mind. A small, inactive person who only wants to supplement his diet might suffice with five a day, the amount in the natural energy pack. Anyone reaching out for better than average endurance and energy should take not less than a half-dozen, three times a day. Hard training bodybuilders make fantastic progress when their intake reaches 50 to 75 a day. In fact, some of the world's top bodybuilder-athletes consume such prodigious amounts it staggers the imagination!

Jack LaLanne, the world's number one endurance athlete, takes 200 tablets daily! At Jack's 57th birthday party in 1971, he mentioned that he still has a $5,000 standing offer to anyone who can follow him through a workout. He's had many men take him up on it, but no one has come close to finishing. Jack attributes much of his endurance and vitality to the large amount of liver and yeast he has consumed for so many years. Incidentally, Jack's measurements on that date were: chest 47"; waist 27"; arm 17"; and the muscular definition of a man in his twenties!

The daily intake of Liver & Yeast of some of the Mr. American and Mr. Universe winners even surpass that of LaLanne. This is the main reason they are able to build a physique of over 200 pounds and still maintain a tiny waistline. Consumption of concentrated food such as Liver & Yeast will allow the bodybuilder to put enormous quantities of the beneficial elements into his system without all the carbohydrates and calories that would be taken in if he were to try to get all these vital factors from food alone. Therefore the digestive system is not clogged with large amounts of food, which would place a burden on the digestive, assimilative and eliminative systems of the body. This allows the system to utilize its energy on more constructive jobs such as maintenance and repair, and combating stress and fatigue.

If you're searching for lasting energy and raw-bone power for workouts that produce results, the solution, without the slightest doubt, is LIVER & YEAST!

LIVER & YEAST & B-COMPLEX

Most of the B vitamins are found largely in liver and in yeast. All B vitamins work together; this being known as the synergistic action of the B vitamins. Taking of one B vitamin individually increases the need for and creates a deficiency in all the other B vitamins not being taken. This condition is caused by individuals taking isolated B vitamins by themselves such as: B-1, B-2, or B-12; or in taking so-called B-complex tablets.

Nearly all B-complex tablets or capsules are synthetic and are heavy in the easily-obtainable and inexpensive B vitamins and totally deficient (or nearly so) in the expensive and hard-to-obtain B vitamins. This creates a greater deficiency in the latter and brings about the very condition the user tried to prevent, a B vitamin deficiency! So stay away from the so-called "B-complex". They should be used in only extreme conditions of vitamin therapy and regarded as "medication."

For all practical purposes, yeast is the cheapest and best source of the B vitamins for a person not under stress. In fact, more nutrients are more concentrated in yeast than in any other known food. The use of yeast along could correct the majority of the world's problems: the proteinless meals of India and China; the B-vitamin needs in the Orient and the Tropics; the iron starvation of women the world over; and the trace mineral deficiencies of both sexes of all ages of every nationality.

Yeast contains almost no fat, starch, or sugar; its excellent protein sticks to your ribs; satisfies your appetite, increases your basal metabolism, and gives you pep to work off unwanted pounds. If any food could be said to be "reducing," yeast is that food.

Yeast has been found to contain 17 different vitamins, including all of the B family; 16 amino acids; and 4 minerals, including the "trace" minerals, held to be essential. It also contains 36 per cent protein (sirloin steak, not counting the bone, contains only 23 per cent protein). Yeast contains only 1 per cent fat whereas sirloin steak contains 22 per cent. Naturally, all the different vitamins and minerals are necessary, but especially the vitamins of the B family. The food that gives you the least number of calories with most of the B vitamins is yeast. The more yeast you consume the better you feel, and the more active you become. No more sluggishness and disinclination to move a muscle. With yeast you can regain energy for normal activities and the sheer joy of being alive!

First and foremost, you should wait at LEAST 20 minutes after your workout before you start eating a meal, so that blood will be available...

If you have no appetite from hard training, he suggests(as do I) to make YOUR OWN PROTEIN SHAKE from REAL FOODS such as RAW EGGS, MILK, BANANAS, AND YEAST. The recipe I use is:

1 cup of milk(whole or skim, depending on goals)
1 cup of pasteurized liquid egg whites
2 Raw OMEGA Eggs
1 banana
1 Scoop YEAST

Soooo...the post workout shake really isnt a myth after all?

1 cup of milk(whole or skim, depending on goals)1 cup of pasteurized liquid egg whites
2 Raw OMEGA Eggs
1 banana
1 Scoop YEAST

**INTERESTING Side-Note:

Scientists at the University of Texas medical branch in Galveston found that drinking whole milk after lifting weights boosted muscle protein synthesis—an indicator of muscle growth—2.8 times more than drinking skim did.

Awesome Ross, thanks.

I have a question for the area I bolded and the second quote. I know that one would use skim if looking to "cut". BUT, if the protein synthesis with whole milk is 2.8 times that of skim milk post workout, shouldn't one use whole milk regardless of goals? In this instance (post workout) that is

It should be evident from all the test results that Liver & Yeast is the ideal supplement for the bodybuilder and athlete. No other supplement combines so many vital factors necessary for bodybuilding progress and endurance and stamina for any type athletics.

The number of tablets one should consume per day is an individual thing and varies with what goals the individual has in mind. A small, inactive person who only wants to supplement his diet might suffice with five a day, the amount in the natural energy pack. Anyone reaching out for better than average endurance and energy should take not less than a half-dozen, three times a day. Hard training bodybuilders make fantastic progress when their intake reaches 50 to 75 a day. In fact, some of the world's top bodybuilder-athletes consume such prodigious amounts it staggers the imagination!

Jack LaLanne, the world's number one endurance athlete, takes 200 tablets daily! At Jack's 57th birthday party in 1971, he mentioned that he still has a $5,000 standing offer to anyone who can follow him through a workout. He's had many men take him up on it, but no one has come close to finishing. Jack attributes much of his endurance and vitality to the large amount of liver and yeast he has consumed for so many years. Incidentally, Jack's measurements on that date were: chest 47"; waist 27"; arm 17"; and the muscular definition of a man in his twenties!

The daily intake of Liver & Yeast of some of the Mr. American and Mr. Universe winners even surpass that of LaLanne. This is the main reason they are able to build a physique of over 200 pounds and still maintain a tiny waistline. Consumption of concentrated food such as Liver & Yeast will allow the bodybuilder to put enormous quantities of the beneficial elements into his system without all the carbohydrates and calories that would be taken in if he were to try to get all these vital factors from food alone. Therefore the digestive system is not clogged with large amounts of food, which would place a burden on the digestive, assimilative and eliminative systems of the body. This allows the system to utilize its energy on more constructive jobs such as maintenance and repair, and combating stress and fatigue.

If you're searching for lasting energy and raw-bone power for workouts that produce results, the solution, without the slightest doubt, is LIVER & YEAST!

Most of the B vitamins are found largely in liver and in yeast. All B vitamins work together; this being known as the synergistic action of the B vitamins. Taking of one B vitamin individually increases the need for and creates a deficiency in all the other B vitamins not being taken. This condition is caused by individuals taking isolated B vitamins by themselves such as: B-1, B-2, or B-12; or in taking so-called B-complex tablets.

Nearly all B-complex tablets or capsules are synthetic and are heavy in the easily-obtainable and inexpensive B vitamins and totally deficient (or nearly so) in the expensive and hard-to-obtain B vitamins. This creates a greater deficiency in the latter and brings about the very condition the user tried to prevent, a B vitamin deficiency! So stay away from the so-called "B-complex". They should be used in only extreme conditions of vitamin therapy and regarded as "medication."

For all practical purposes, yeast is the cheapest and best source of the B vitamins for a person not under stress. In fact, more nutrients are more concentrated in yeast than in any other known food. The use of yeast along could correct the majority of the world's problems: the proteinless meals of India and China; the B-vitamin needs in the Orient and the Tropics; the iron starvation of women the world over; and the trace mineral deficiencies of both sexes of all ages of every nationality.

Yeast contains almost no fat, starch, or sugar; its excellent protein sticks to your ribs; satisfies your appetite, increases your basal metabolism, and gives you pep to work off unwanted pounds. If any food could be said to be "reducing," yeast is that food.

Yeast has been found to contain 17 different vitamins, including all of the B family; 16 amino acids; and 4 minerals, including the "trace" minerals, held to be essential. It also contains 36 per cent protein (sirloin steak, not counting the bone, contains only 23 per cent protein). Yeast contains only 1 per cent fat whereas sirloin steak contains 22 per cent. Naturally, all the different vitamins and minerals are necessary, but especially the vitamins of the B family. The food that gives you the least number of calories with most of the B vitamins is yeast. The more yeast you consume the better you feel, and the more active you become. No more sluggishness and disinclination to move a muscle. With yeast you can regain energy for normal activities and the sheer joy of being alive!

Much appreciated! All these years and this is my FIRST introduction to yeast as a beneficial supplement.

Soooo...the post workout shake really isnt a myth after all?

A meal containing steak, eggs and milk would be ideal, but If you don't have an appetite then this liquid protein drink will suffice.

My point was that a "post workout shake" is not necessary, and under no circumstances do I use protein powders.

Last edited:
A meal containing steak, eggs and milk would be ideal, but If you don't have an appetite then this liquid protein drink will suffice.

My point was that a "post workout shake" is not necessary, and under no circumstances do I use protein powders.

But...wouldnt it make more sense to have one of these shakes pwo-instead of a meal? It seems to me that you could then eat the meal you spoke of within an hour or so after consuming the pwo shake-thus enabling you to take in more nutirents than just having the meal and waiting another couple hours after that to eat!

Your thoughts?

Yeast,
What is the suggest minimum a body builder should take?
And is there a max?

Thanks!

None... I avoid carbs as long as I can post workout... I go with protein, protein and more protein, until I have trouble sleeping, then maybe more protein with an apple...

Since training blunts my hunger for a while, I train, and whenever I start feeling hungry (30-60 min later), i'll eat a regular meal.

I've been doing this for not so long (1-2 months), but let's just say that i'm at my best right now. I can pretty easily see that the role of the PWO SHAKE does not account for much in term of progress.

It's important to stay focused on the 95% and forget the last 5% that makes your life so much more complicated without really adding any significant benefit to it.

Bodybuilding is a hobby that is already complicated enough that you should leave alone the little details that tend to turn it into an obsession.

im prepping with alex right now and he recommends some lean red meat and some rice........ he said cut the dextrose. i guess it's just im prepping but rice and lean red meat!

Yeah, but won't all the yeast give you a yeast infection? Ah, I'm kidding... Very interesting, I think I'll give this a try... I've been trying to train for boxing again and that's what my problem has always been; no endurance... None whatsoever... I have everything else to be a great fighter... I also notice that I get pains in my liver after a while, when I get really exhausted and even feel a lot of shortness of breath and almost symptoms of a heart attack, if I keep pushing past the point of exhaustion... Good post, I'll give it a shot thanks.

I like that shake above. Done the same but with oats instead of yeast (not post workout).

I like vitargo post workout... when I can afford it.

Add 40 grams of sugar to your protien shake and you are good to go . TRUST ME. Any carb drink specially vitargo, is too thick on your stomach , basically this is how much fluids you're taking:

A pre workout in water

Intra workout

Post work out protien AND another carbs?

Your body won't know what to do , it'll just shit it out, ur stomach and intestines LOVE to work and hate ready shit.

Staff online

• A50#
    Old School Moderator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws