over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

What the hell is going on with my iron?

Knight9

Featured Member / Verified Customer / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
I do bloodwork approx 3-4x yearly. This time around, my hematocrit and hemoglobin are basically the same as they usually are. (51.9 hematocrit and 18.1 hemoglobin).
RBC is within range...(5.77).

However, my iron count has jumped to 190 when the ref range is 38-169.
My last 4 iron readings in the last 18 mos were 106,57,131,67.

My e2 is out of whack too so I'll increase my ai...not sure if this can increase iron? Also been on low dose accutane for 5 months and have just under a month left.

Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

If it continues to rise ask to be checked for hemochromatosis .. there's a DNA test that can be done to detect a mutation in the hfe gene

^^^ all of the above and additionally were you well hydrated, have you started taking extra C, and what is the dose of androgens you are on, heavy red meat diet spinach etc?

iron is fine, watch that H&H though, are you donating blood, staying hydrated?

Your Fe levels can have diurnal shifts <+/-> day-to-day, as well, hour by hour. Several things can change your Fe levels.

An anemia panel would give you a better picture of your body Fe status.

Truthfully I wouldn't put too much emphasis on worrying about your serum Fe in isolation. There's not enough information to base a diagnostic criteria to go by.

^^^ all of the above and additionally were you well hydrated, have you started taking extra C, and what is the dose of androgens you are on, heavy red meat diet spinach etc?
Yes....well hydrated. It was a fasted test but drank 32oz water prior to bed and 20oz upon waking half an hour before the test.

No extra c....no supps at all except b-complex, super bio curcumin, ashwagandha, and baby aspirin.

400mg test (watson) e8d, .5mg arimidex sat and weds. Proviron 50mg/daily

I love red meat but I wouldn't say heavy. More like consistently consumed.

Yes....well hydrated. It was a fasted test but drank 32oz water prior to bed and 20oz upon waking half an hour before the test.

No extra c....no supps at all except b-complex, super bio curcumin, ashwagandha, and baby aspirin.

400mg test (watson) e8d, .5mg arimidex sat and weds. Proviron 50mg/daily

I love red meat but I wouldn't say heavy. More like consistently consumed.

Lower your test injections and take some IP-6.

Lower your test injections and take some IP-6.
I know how to hit the kill switch. What I'm more interested in is finding out exactly why it has suddenly happened with little to no change.

Only factors that I can identify are...
Proviron 50mg daily
Accutane 20mg daily
E2 levels @117

Vitamin C and A increase iron absorption. Guess which vitamin Accutane is a form of.

If it continues to rise ask to be checked for hemochromatosis .. there's a DNA test that can be done to detect a mutation in the hfe gene

To the OP--This right here. Just do the test, you'll be glad you did. You do NOT want hemochromatosis. Your hematocrit, hemoglobin, and iron results point to it depending on how long the readings have been like this although the iron reading is not super high.

There are three genes that they test, and if you test positive for 2 out of 3, you have it, but normally, your iron really goes out of whack fast if you do. If you test positive for one out of the 3, you're called a carrier, and most who are carriers don't get the disease, however, there are about 2% who do get it even with one bad gene. I happened to be in that "lucky" 2%, and I have one bad gene. My iron tested at about 400. The only remedy to get rid of excess iron is to have blood taken out. Iron doesn't build up really fast for me since I only have the one gene, but I still have to go in about every 3 months or so to be tested and have a phlebotomy--in fact I am scheduled for a phlebotomy next week (yay--not!).

You'll want to know if you have the bad gene(s) or not because this disease affects every gland and organ in your body, and they simply just don't work the way they are supposed to. I have had thyroid go down then back up, parathyroid went berserk for a period of time, I've had low GH, cortisol up and down, gallbladder stopped working and had to have it removed, the list goes on IF you don't take care of it. I had no idea that was what it was at first. Suffered for years until a smart doc put all of the symptoms together and checked my iron. So if you don't have the bad genes, count yourself very lucky. All you have to do then is donate blood and all those numbers will go down, and you can say that it's likely caused by whatever combo of AAS you have been on.

His Fe isn't constant, as well serum iron (Fe) is a poor diagnostic for hemochromatosis. Transferrin saturation in conjunction with either homozygosity or heterozygosity H63D/C282Y mutations would be ideal.

Knight, any chance that you can remember, did you have any alcohol and or a viral or bacterial infection around the time you had these labs drawn?

Sure, you could look into having some genetic testing done for HFE. Although with your ethnic background I'd say it's pretty rare.

His Fe isn't constant, as well serum iron (Fe) is a poor diagnostic for hemochromatosis. Transferrin saturation in conjunction with either homozygosity or heterozygosity H63D/C282Y mutations would be ideal.

Knight, any chance that you can remember, did you have any alcohol and or a viral or bacterial infection around the time you had these labs drawn?

Sure, you could look into having some genetic testing done for HFE. Although with your ethnic background I'd say it's pretty rare.
I didn't have alcohol the night before but I've been having a few drinks most nights lately. (The past few weeks)

And remember also on accutane..

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner