advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

What would be a conservative carb load protocol for peak week?

tacohut69

Newbies
I have been following a keto diet leading into a contest coming up in 2 weeks. Generally when I do a re-feed or cheat meal I tend to put on weigth/water fairly quickly even in the same evening. The coach I am using generally suggests beginning to carb up on Thursday however this seems like for me it could cause me to spill over.

So my question is assuming I am using dyazide could you do just a show-day carb up? If so what would that look like? I am thinking of not carb loading Friday, taking the dyazide that evening at 8 PM and then beginning some carb loading the morning of the show. Has anyone ever done a very short carb load as opposed to 2-3 days? If so how did you use the diuretic?

300% normal intake....

although without a good H2O protocol....its useless.

:cool:

Next Saturday will be my first show ever.

I will be carb loading on Friday, the day before with simply 50 to 75 grams of carbs every two hours and a small amount of protein at each meal, say 20 to 30 grams, and no fiber, no fat. My coach is a WNBF pro and has really dialed people in on the nose. So really, just to be conservative he has people stay more towards 50 grams per meal on Friday and then follow all six carb loading meals with a fatty burger or steak for the last meal of the night.

I will be following a ketogenic diet from Monday through Thursday, with depletion workouts on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday. No cardio, no legs for the week.

Perhaps this helps.

Next Saturday will be my first show ever.

I will be carb loading on Friday, the day before with simply 50 to 75 grams of carbs every two hours and a small amount of protein at each meal, say 20 to 30 grams, and no fiber, no fat. My coach is a WNBF pro and has really dialed people in on the nose. So really, just to be conservative he has people stay more towards 50 grams per meal on Friday and then follow all six carb loading meals with a fatty burger or steak for the last meal of the night.

I will be following a ketogenic diet from Monday through Thursday, with depletion workouts on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday. No cardio, no legs for the week.

Perhaps this helps.

this is feasible......whats your delivery plan...???

what kinda of carbs...??

and whats your "regular" carbs intake...???

this is feasible......whats your delivery plan...???

what kinda of carbs...??

and whats your "regular" carbs intake...???

Likely whatever the heck comes to mind. :)

I plan on something like (and believe me, considering I am currently suffering in the BB sense of the word, I've been dreaming of the day, lol)

Meal 1: egg whites, grits with honey
Meal 2: fat-free Greek yogurt, two bananas, honey
Meal 3: chicken, white rice
Meal 4: chicken, white pasta
Meal 5: chicken, fat free candies or Snackwell's fat free cookies
Meal 6: chicken, pie filling
Meal 7: high-fat steak or burger

There has been no "regular" carb intake for the past five months considering there were seven adjustments to my diet during the course. We started out with typical carb rotation, lowered the carbs and calories as needed, until the past four weeks straight settled in on the following: three low carb days (60 grams, 180 grams protein, rest fat, ~1950 cals for the day) in a row, followed byone medium day (100 grams carbs, 180 grams protein, rest fat, ~2150 cals), and then that four day cycle repeats.

Ketogenic diet for four days will obviously be 65-70% fat, 25-30% protein, with no intended carb intake except for the tiny net carbs in nuts, avocado, some veggies, dairy, etc.

I have been doing 1.5 g protein .5 fat and 50 carbs per day during this prep. I have read Matt Porter's protocol during last week of upping water and sodium significantly and then cutting out the sodium the day before the contest. Then beginning your carb load the day of the contest versus on Thursday/Friday. What are your thoughts on this protocol?

Use Sodium to Look Full, Vascular and Ripped | FLEX Online

i don't know if he wrote that for you.....but,

a good carb up needs to be more consistent meals.
and stay with one or two sources...THATS IT.

you have the honey kinda all over the place.
and a bunch of different complexes all over the place.

the day before meals should be the most strict of the entire
prep....they are the most important....

and i mean setting alarms to get up and eat throughout the nite.

whats the water plan...???

and have you tried this already to see if it actually works..???

I am very carb sensitive. I just feel that if I begin carbing up on Thursday or Friday that I could easily spill over for the show. My thoughts were to either begin carbing up Friday evening and Saturday morning to be on the conservative side.

The water plan would look like this. Friday drink 3.5 gallons water cut at 8 PM. 1/2 dyazide @ 2 PM Friday and @ 9 PM Friday. No added Sodium/low sodium on Friday.

Saturday add back sodium, carb load and no fluids outside of 1/2 cup coffee with first meal and 8 oz water after pre-judging.

I have been doing 1.5 g protein .5 fat and 50 carbs per day during this prep. I have read Matt Porter's protocol during last week of upping water and sodium significantly and then cutting out the sodium the day before the contest. Then beginning your carb load the day of the contest versus on Thursday/Friday. What are your thoughts on this protocol?

Use Sodium to Look Full, Vascular and Ripped | FLEX Online

i think any so called "protocol" that calls for "dropping sodium"
is WRONG....if anything should not be changed, and ADDED the night
before..

ive read that article before....and it appears to be ass backwards to me.

does it work...?? maybe.

it all depends on how you were eating for your prep....
carbs..no carbs...salt..no salt...??? high fat..???no fat..???

ive found the diets that seem "all over the place"....have a much
harder time carbing up...or getting the timing right....

a consistent diet during prep....makes things more predictable.
and easier.

Last edited:
So keep sodium consistent throughout no dropping of that?

Focusing on the carb aspect in general, assuming you've been following a Keto diet for prep throughout obviously there are differences in how much you carb load for peak week. Whether you start Thursday or Friday etc. Just focusing on that aspect beginning your carb load late Friday versus Thursday or all day Friday should that be adequate?

Are you doing this solo? Hire TMT for your last week.

Use carb sources your body is accustomed to. Rice, rice cakes, sweet potatoes. No stupid shit, fig newtons, pop tarts. Unless you know how you'll react if you skip/shit load.

High water all week. High sodium all week.

It all depends on the individual. Your metabolism, degree of depletion before loading, fat and protein intake, the type of carb source(s) employed, your body's ability to produce adequate quantities of the proper digestive enzymes, and several other variables all play a role in determining one's ideal carb intake.

What you eat during that time should be tailored specifically to your needs and your needs alone. There is no single formula that will work for everyone.

Last edited:
I am doing KETO for prep i.e. 50 grams of carbs per day or less. When I have a re-feed or cheat meal typically it has a quick effect thus I am thinking that overdoing carb load could be bad (although I will employ dyazide). So the main question generally for someone who is more carb sensitive and been following a Keto protocol would be when is best to begin the carb load and what types of carbs. Assuming water cut off at 8 PM the day before show.

well i will say.......you have AT LEAST 1 good shot
at trying something.....some kind of protocol before
the big show.....

i suggest you take advantage of this last 2weeks and do
a SIMPLE mock....try to nail it down.

:cool:

I am doing KETO for prep i.e. 50 grams of carbs per day or less. When I have a re-feed or cheat meal typically it has a quick effect thus I am thinking that overdoing carb load could be bad (although I will employ dyazide). So the main question generally for someone who is more carb sensitive and been following a Keto protocol would be when is best to begin the carb load and what types of carbs. Assuming water cut off at 8 PM the day before show.

Yes, you will almost certainly be more sensitive to carbs than someone who has been eating a lot of carbs, BUT...you actually have a reduced possibility of spilling over because your glycogen stores are currently very low.

However, there are a few things helpful things you can do which apply to just about everyone in your situation. Regarding your question about carb sources, I recommend consuming the "same" carb sources to load on as you have been eating all along (someone else mentioned this as well). Changing carb sources at the last minute could easily backfire, as the body's digestive system adapts to the foods we have been eating.

By throwing in a bunch of new foods at the last minute you stand a greater risk of experiencing digestive problems leading to water retention and bloating. Most people, especially at that point in prep, have been relying on carb sources like rice, potatoes (any kind), and oats simply because they are some of the easiest, cheapest, effective, and most well known foods in the American bodybuilder's diet, even though there are 100's other equally effective alternatives.

While I think oats are a great food with a ton of benefits, unless you know you don't have an allergy to them (a decent percentage of people do, but don't know it because there aren't any serious side effects), you may not want to rely on them at this stage in the game because they can cause substantial water retention in those with allergies, making it impossible to get as dry as your body will allow. A safer alternative is white rice and/or potatoes (all kinds). Of course, if you aren't currently eating any of those foods, then I don't recommend switching to them at the last second either.

Those who have been following a low-carb diet for several weeks or more should also be including digestive enzymes (those specific to carbohydrate digestion) during loading (every carb containing meal), as the body decreases production of enzymes involved in carbohydrate digestion during times of carbohydrate restriction. This is especially true in those following keto diets. These enzymes are cheap to purchase, so just about anyone can add them in without significant financial strain.

Opinions vary regarding the optimal length of time to carb-load. While degree of depletion is an obvious factor that needs to be considered, I tend to ascribe to the "get in early and get out early" method of loading. If someone was doing a 3-day load, I normally approach it like this. At 4 days out we will start loading and it will be the highest carb day of the load. Each successive day will contain fewer carbs than the day before it, and the last (4th day) will contain only maintenance amounts of carbs. By doing things like this you are provided with a safety net...because if you over-do you have plenty of time to rectify the situation.

Oh, and don't count on diuretics to remedy the problem if you spill over...because it doesn't work like that. Diuretics will cause you to lose water, but they will cause you to lose water from everywhere, including under the skin AND the muscles. This is because diuretics are non-selective in their actions; they cause water loss from everywhere equally...and you cannot alter the ratio of water loss so that it favors the sub-q region. In other words, the more water you lose from under your skin via diuretic use, the more water you will lose from your muscles. This will cause a decrease in muscle fullness (start to flatten out), which can make you appear less defined and even watery, despite there being very little water under the skin. This is because a flat muscle does not press outward against the skin surface, which is essential for maximizing hardness and definition, as well as the appearance of dryness.

Ideally, you want to get as dry as possible without diuretics via the proper application of diet and pharmacology, as this will allow you to maximize both fullness and condition. Clearly, diuretics can potentially be of benefit in this area...experience has proven that, but the key is to get as dry as possible without diuretics first, and then use them ONLY as a finishing touch (which isn't always necessary depending on the individual) in small quantities over a short period of time. If you have done things properly, you shouldn't need to use diuretics until the night before the show, at best.

You can NOT screw-up in the areas of diet and pharmacology and expect to make up the difference with diuretics. Attempting to do so will only result in the deterioration of your physique. Diuretics are very much a double-edged sword. Used properly they can make a great physique look awesome, but when used improperly (too much for too long) they can make an unconditioned physique look even more out of shape.

Your final "load" on peak week can range all over the place from person to person..

I'd recommend trying a trial to see how your body fills out..

I have some clients that I can load on 300-400g of carbs on wednesday through friday and they will be full on stage..

I have an extreme ecto who competes that when it comes time to carb him up will be intaking 900g of carbs + 200g of fat tues/wed/thurs/ and pulled back to 550g of carbs on friday to bring down the distention..

I'd recommend loading on the same carb sources you've used all prep. Your body's digestive track is used to them and the last thing you need is to disrupt your ability to process nutrients the week coming into a show.

EVERYONE is so different...

Practice makes perfect...

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear