advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

What Would be the Best Way to Do Cardio??

Bobby_Dole

Banned
I'm doing a couple shows this year and right now I get up, eat some oats and protein and head to the gym. There I do 30 minutes of cardio and then workout.

Then I do some additional cardio in the PM.

I'm not so concerned with the amount of cardio I'm doing but rather if I'm making the most of my time.

Should I just roll out of bed and do cardio at home, eat my oats and protein, and then head to the gym or just do what I'm doing now?

Just seeing what would be most beneficial to me and burning fat.

Thanks!

Do cardio after work out or better still am fasted on non training days

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I'm doing a couple shows this year and right now I get up, eat some oats and protein and head to the gym. There I do 30 minutes of cardio and then workout.

I'm not so concerned with the amount of cardio I'm doing but rather if I'm making the most of my time.

Should I just roll out of bed and do cardio at home, eat my oats and protein, and then head to the gym or just do what I'm doing now?

Just seeing what would be most beneficial to me and burning fat.

Thanks!

Get the most out of your cardio by doing HIIT (high intensity interval training.) Using a light to moderate weight for continuous movement, burn more fat and help build muscle at the same time. ie. Once a week for cardio I perform 100 cleans at 135# and time myself and always try and beat it. Great cardio. Or do some combos, get 95# on a barbell, and do 7 reps of each without stopping, deadlift/bentover row/curl/hangclean/shoulder press/overhead squat/ ab roll out/ start over. Or just make up your own.
Try it and tell me its not better cardio than walking/jogging on a treadmill or biking.

That sounds like an injury just waiting to happen when I'm this close to shows.

Maybe in the future I will look into something like that. Thanks for the info .

Either do the cardio after you weight train as your body will already be in the fat burning mode or do the cardio first thing in the am on an empty stomach and weight train later in the day after you have been eating.

I would never do cardio immediately before a weight training session. NEVER.

Best way to do cardio, is in the morning on an empty stomach. This creates instant fat loss.

Then...in the evening...I would hit the weights...and THEN do cardio. Cardio always comes AFTER the weights. There is no sense in consuming a big portion of your stored glycogen, by doing cardio FIRST....and then having very little reserves left over for the weight session. Talk about cutting your intensity strength and power by about 25%

Thanks for all the input, I train at 7am so that is what I'm working with as far as what time I can hit the weights.

Cardio right away in AM in empty stomach or cardio right after workout would be my two options for the morning.

Then cardio at night is no problem.

So with that in mind, what you think?

My HIIT cardio routine is as follows:

15 minutes total
30 seconds all out (elliptical)
60 seconds slow to moderate
repeat

Burns fat (on me) like crazy.

I would never do cardio immediately before a weight training session. NEVER.

Best way to do cardio, is in the morning on an empty stomach. This creates instant fat loss.

best results ive seen are cardio first thing waking up on an empty stomach. hard to get energy or see drastic improvements cardio wise but the fat loss is good

Thanks for all the input.

I'm 5.5 weeks out and I've lost over 50 pounds so far, just trying to shred off the rest.

Doing another show 5 weeks later as well.

Been a member of bolex, meso, and some old boards but all those seem dead. You'll be seeing more of me, I should have changed my screen name to match the others :)

The best fat loss for me is first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. I will sip on some BCAA's and Glutamine on the way to the gym and during cardio, so I technically am not in a fasted state, but also trying to preserve muscle. Also, when your doing cardio, be aware of your heart range, you don't want to burn up muscle either by going too hard for too long..

Best to you in your upcoming shows!

I'm 5 weeks out from my first show and I've been doing my cardio rig
PHP:
ht after weight traingfor 20mins. I'll pwerwalk for 3mins and sprint for 1min and alternate. The fat is melting off. On my non training days I do the same but first thing in the AM on empty stomach. My diet has been on point which makes all the difference. But I'm sure you have that covered being 5 weeks out also. Good luck!

I've used a similar approach to what some of the guys have already mentioned. fasted AM cardio seems to work best for me for fat loss. I prefer doing HIIT versus LISS simply for the sake of time and I don't feel like I am wasting muscle. Additionally, HIIT first thing in the AM seems to give me a little more energy throughout the day, and when dieting for a contest, any extra energy is a godsend.

In the offseason, I just do my cardio on off days in the evening, still HIIT, but not so focused on the fat loss, but you'll still see the EPOC benefit from HIIT no matter when you do it.

I've used a similar approach to what some of the guys have already mentioned. fasted AM cardio seems to work best for me for fat loss. I prefer doing HIIT versus LISS simply for the sake of time and I don't feel like I am wasting muscle. Additionally, HIIT first thing in the AM seems to give me a little more energy throughout the day, and when dieting for a contest, any extra energy is a godsend.

In the offseason, I just do my cardio on off days in the evening, still HIIT, but not so focused on the fat loss, but you'll still see the EPOC benefit from HIIT no matter when you do it.

What do you guys do for HIIT?

My son (RB) needs to start his offseason conditioning. I am considering running sprints with him (holy shit my knees and hips hurt just thinking of it :D ). What do you guys think of that?

J
ust seeing what would be most beneficial to me and burning fat.

Thanks!

Get up earlier and get out and do your 30mins of moderate cardio first thing in am, drink some green tea before. Get a heart rate monitor. Moderate cardio 120 -130 bpm, moderate to hard 130-150 bpm.
Then eat and go to the gym, train and do 15 mins moderate to hard cardio (HIIT would be good here). Then you could do some more in the evening if you feel you need it closer to the show.

My son (RB) needs to start his offseason conditioning. I am considering running sprints with him (holy shit my knees and hips hurt just thinking of it :D ). What do you guys think of that?

I think my knees hurt too!!!

Always warm up with a brisk jog for atleast 5-7 minutes before all-out sprinting and you should be fine brother.

Like mentioned before, am first thing in the morning on a empty stomach then if you do cardio again at night, i would aim for 2-3hours after a meal do some more cardio.

Always warm up with a brisk jog for atleast 5-7 minutes before all-out sprinting and you should be fine brother.

Yeah, I get my HR up a little and break a sweat before I start the HIIT.

I've done sprints outside before and they work great, but the impact seems to reduce recovery ability if leg days are right around the corner. As a RB, if you can get your hands on a prowler and do prowler sprints he'd get some crazy explosiveness. Another good option is hill sprints, sprint to the top and walk/jog down and keep going for a given number of minutes.

Indoors, the elliptical is good and easy on your knees (I use this) or an upright bike or airdyne (sp?) bike also work great. I've found it difficult to use a treadmill because on having to adjust the spreed when in a full spint, plus I tend to get shin splints.

I don't agree with HIIT cardio for the bodybuilder. HIIT cardio is for increasing your anaerobic threshold, something the bodybuilder doesn't need, as anaerobic weight training already does this. Also, HIIT cardio is good for increasing Hematocrit, the bodybuilder wants the exact opposite, increased blood volume, which is better achieved through moderate intensity, sustained cardio.

Definitely don't do your cardio before your workout, if anything, do it after. In your case, I would recommend just training in the AM, and doing all your cardio in the PM. OR, ideally, do your cardio in the AM, fasted, then do your training in the evening, with extra cardio- if needed- after the training.

I don't agree with HIIT cardio for the bodybuilder. HIIT cardio is for increasing your anaerobic threshold, something the bodybuilder doesn't need, as anaerobic weight training already does this. Also, HIIT cardio is good for increasing Hematocrit, the bodybuilder wants the exact opposite, increased blood volume, which is better achieved through moderate intensity, sustained cardio.

Definitely don't do your cardio before your workout, if anything, do it after. In your case, I would recommend just training in the AM, and doing all your cardio in the PM. OR, ideally, do your cardio in the AM, fasted, then do your training in the evening, with extra cardio- if needed- after the training.

Wow didn't know it raised hematocrit. I used to do HIIT when I was natural and I felt it made me lose a lot of muscle (which could have been counteractacted with more food but I didn't know better)

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131