advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Whats a decent off season weight for a heavyweight?

I saw a guy from this board bring the concepts of this thread to muscular development and i have to comment.

He stated his opinions according to the look he personally likes offseason and i believe he was 6 foot and 210.....

no shit.

Im not talking about walking around in a club, walking around at the beach looking ripped for the hotties, walking around in a slinky t-shirt 4 sizes too small.

Im talking success in the sport of bodybuilding, not your own personal preference on how you like to look.

Theres a gigantic difference between you looking ripped at 210 and getting up onstage with other 6 footers and getting extremely embarassed by being outmassed by 30-50 pounds. (the old "staple posing trunks onto a broomstick" effect in full force)

Id love to wave a magic wand and say "hey yes you can walk around ripped year round at 198 and compete at that too!!!! and when you want to go into the heavies just go to 225 and walk around ripped at 225 and compete at that too!!! Youll love it!"

Sorry it really isnt that easy.....and you need to take your personal preferences out of the equation when it comes to bodybuilding.

Now in my opinion Delarosa would have had a much better look above at 198 in the lightheavies being 4 pounds away and Jason Wojo should have went into the lightheavies also because he was shredded in that show but just didnt have the muscle mass to hang. I am about going in at the bodyweight you look best also IF YOU HAVE THE MUSCLE MASS TO HANG WITH THE GUYS IN THAT CLASS.....and thats not always the case. If Delarosa was absolutely shredded at lets say 209 lbs ABSOLUTELY he should go in at 209....but he wasnt at 202. Either way he has the muscle mass to hang...Wojo doesnt...he needs to get alot larger to hang with the heavies

The question was whats a good offseason bodyweight for a heavyweight. My whole deal is this....to the best of your ability go in IF YOU CAN as one of the absolute biggest boys in your class so you dont have to hear "well you didnt have enough size, you were outsized, you need to gain 12 pounds etc etc etc"......remove that from the judges mouths and let symmetry, and physique and condition decide the class.....thats my deal.

So with that said.....and you can see this with so many bodybuilders its unfathomable to count, 1000's upon thousands over many years.....most guy start their preps about 35 to 45 pounds over their onstage weight.....If a superheavyweight comes in at 242, take it to the bank he weighed at least 280 to 290 in the offseason.....if you allready have gigantic size like alot of these pro's do that really dont have to get much bigger.....then that above equation gets thrown into the wastebasket....but for people trying to get bigger and amateurs....I would say it is on the money for 90% of the people. Are some over that yea, some under...yea....but 40-45 pounds is pretty on the mark and would probably come out as the average if you put all those 1000's of bodybuilders together. Some go way over that mark (Kai Green for example).......

So if you take personal preference out of the equation of what you want to look like in the offseason going to clubs and put this into a "need to be bigger bodybuilding sense" and the objective is getting down to 230 and then getting into the heavyweights absolutely shredded at 225.....unless you have been gaining muscle mass like its going out of style.....and it just accumalates on you very easily (doubt it).....you better get up to 265, hold it, make it dense viable muscle tissue TIME = DENSITY that wont come off in the dieting process (huge mistake alot of people do)......and you will be able to accomplish that. I can pretty much guarentee you 238 offseason fully loaded isnt going to equal 225 fully loaded in a show unless you are someone with very special genetics walking around shredded year round.

Last edited:
I saw a guy from this board bring the concepts of this thread to muscular development and i have to comment.

He stated his opinions according to the look he personally likes offseason and i believe he was 6 foot and 210.....

no shit.

Im not talking about walking around in a club, walking around at the beach looking ripped for the hotties, walking around in a slinky t-shirt 4 sizes too small.

Im talking success in the sport of bodybuilding, not your own personal preference on how you like to look.

Theres a gigantic difference between you looking ripped at 210 and getting up onstage with other 6 footers and getting extremely embarassed by being outmassed by 30-50 pounds. (the old "staple posing trunks onto a broomstick" effect in full force)

Id love to wave a magic wand and say "hey yes you can walk around ripped year round at 198 and compete at that too!!!! and when you want to go into the heavies just go to 225 and walk around ripped at 225 and compete at that too!!! Youll love it!"

Sorry it really isnt that easy.....and you need to take your personal preferences out of the equation when it comes to bodybuilding.

Now in my opinion Delarosa would have had a much better look above at 198 in the lightheavies being 4 pounds away and Jason Wojo should have went into the lightheavies also because he was shredded in that show but just didnt have the muscle mass to hang. I am about going in at the bodyweight you look best also IF YOU HAVE THE MUSCLE MASS TO HANG WITH THE GUYS IN THAT CLASS.....and thats not always the case. If Delarosa was absolutely shredded at lets say 209 lbs ABSOLUTELY he should go in at 209....but he wasnt at 202. Either way he has the muscle mass to hang...Wojo doesnt...he needs to get alot larger to hang with the heavies

The question was whats a good offseason bodyweight for a heavyweight. My whole deal is this....to the best of your ability go in IF YOU CAN as one of the absolute biggest boys in your class so you dont have to hear "well you didnt have enough size, you were outsized, you need to gain 12 pounds etc etc etc"......remove that from the judges mouths and let symmetry, and physique and condition decide the class.....thats my deal.

So with that said.....and you can see this with so many bodybuilders its unfathomable to count, 1000's upon thousands over many years.....most guy start their preps about 35 to 45 pounds over their onstage weight.....If a superheavyweight comes in at 242, take it to the bank he weighed at least 280 to 290 in the offseason.....if you allready have gigantic size like alot of these pro's do that really dont have to get much bigger.....then that above equation gets thrown into the wastebasket....but for people trying to get bigger and amateurs....I would say it is on the money for 90% of the people. Are some over that yea, some under...yea....but 40-45 pounds is pretty on the mark and would probably come out as the average if you put all those 1000's of bodybuilders together. Some go way over that mark (Kai Green for example).......

So if you take personal preference out of the equation of what you want to look like in the offseason going to clubs and put this into a "need to be bigger bodybuilding sense" and the objective is getting down to 230 and then getting into the heavyweights absolutely shredded at 225.....unless you have been gaining muscle mass like its going out of style.....and it just accumalates on you very easily (doubt it).....you better get up to 265, hold it, make it dense viable muscle tissue TIME = DENSITY that wont come off in the dieting process (huge mistake alot of people do)......and you will be able to accomplish that. I can pretty much guarentee you 238 offseason fully loaded isnt going to equal 225 fully loaded in a show unless you are someone with very special genetics walking around shredded year round.

Great post. Some make it sound as if anyone can begin a contest prep and gain muscle going into it...the few that can, are the exception to the rule. Sure it pans out on paper but in reality most cant do that. Phil did it, but look at pics of him, a young phil not a guy in his late 20's to early 30's, he had the ability to do that....most of us mortals dont. So do what works for you and most not for what works for others.

Last edited:
Hey Dante, I'm sure you've stated this is other threads numerous times, but what would you consider an acceptable bf% for offseason?

Hey Dante, I'm sure you've stated this is other threads numerous times, but what would you consider an acceptable bf% for offseason?

somewhere between 12 - 15%... at least a visible outline of the ab plate. I;m pretty sure thats his and most other prep guys preference.

Staff online

• Bio
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner