advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

What's the verdict on keeping protein high on keto?

nothuman

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
What's the story here? Do you guys stay in ketosis when you pee on the sticks despite high protein amounts? Lowering protein is extremely difficult for me without radically changing my eating habits but I want to do keto to see how I feel on it.

As you know, everyone is different. Some can take in higher protein amounts and stay in ketosis while others cannot due to gluconeogenesis. If I were going to try, I'd keep protein intake where you currently have it and do the high fat/no carbs, then test. If not in ketosis, drop protein, and re-test.

Supposedly only 20% of calories should come from protein on keto. I don’t necessarily buy the exact figures of that as well as the 20 or less impact carbs as there’s no way a normal person versus a bodybuilder can have the same impact carbs for ketosis. If your average Joe can get into ketosis with 20 or less impact carbs then I’m sure a bodybuilder on anabolic‘s with Metformin and rapid metabolism can use significantly higher carbs and still get into ketosis.

Last edited:
Supposedly only 20% of calories should come from protein on keto. I don’t necessarily buy the exact figures of that as well as the 20 or less impact carbs as there’s no way a normal person versus a bodybuilder can have the same impact carbs for ketosis. If your average Joe can get into ketosis with 20 or less impact carbs then I’m sure a bodybuilder on anabolic‘s with Metformin and rapid metabolism can use significantly higher carbs and still get into ketosis.

False.

Go back and look at Porters experiment with Keto.

Unless you are so fat adapted that you've been doing it for months. Your body is going to convert everything into glucose and push you out of ketosis. The whole point of keto.

If you want some good listens check out Bpaks podcasts. Has lots of Dr.'s on as he's keto now.

Imo, keto 100% has its time and place in bodybuilding, but only for pulses.

It doesnt matter how many GDA's you take, consuming carbs will be converted and that's game over.

Am experimenting with this now. Used to run typical keto protein as in 20%-150g, now upping more to Palumbo levels 45%-250g to see what happens. Carbs net 25g throughout and fats the variable. Total cals have been the same throughout just altering fats/protein ratio.

[/B]

False.

On training days while doing keto I’ve taken in 80g carbs around workouts and still been in keto when testing with my meter in the evening.

Wouldn’t ever go past 40 or so trace carbs total on non training days.

Keto is great for short dieting bursts. Sheds the water off nicely to give you a bit of motivation after being a glutton

It’s really shit dating or having a normal social life while doing it though.

I prefer the palumbo keto-bodybuilding keto. Higher protein.

Don’t use the pee sticks. Get the keto strips for the glucose meter.

Last edited:
My protein intake on keto was between 250-300g per day along with fat at about 100-120g and carbs less than 50g.

I did this for four weeks before beginning to cycle in and out and by day 10 or so I was showing moderate to large on the color scale with the pee sticks and cravings were basically non existent.

I used to have the biggest sweet tooth, needed a daily fix of chocolate/biscuits, on keto it knocked them out completely. I can happily watch the kids eat their rubbish or look past it in the cupboard with zero craving. Worth it just for that.

Unless you are so fat adapted that you've been doing it for months. Your body is going to convert everything into glucose and push you out of ketosis. The whole point of keto.

If you want some good listens check out Bpaks podcasts. Has lots of Dr.'s on as he's keto now.

Imo, keto 100% has its time and place in bodybuilding, but only for pulses.

It doesnt matter how many GDA's you take, consuming carbs will be converted and that's game over.

On Joe Rogan podcast he’s had doctors and athletes etc talk about it and I believe there was one that said there’s some athletes who are so Keto adapted that even 200g of carbs didn’t take them out of ketosis... Pretty sure I heard it on there...

Either way, I think the amount of protein allowed can be raised significantly from 20% with great success and would bet majority are above it..

Also, has anyone looked into Carnivore diet? Like Keto, but no greens or veggies..

How is it possible to only get 20% protein and be effective at what we’re trying to do? That’s like 60g of protein a day and like 265g fat for someone eating 3k calories... Am I supposed to eat a chicken breast and just chug olive oil the rest of the day? Lol I don’t know. Sounds weird to me.. I’m sure some of these athletes get more than that on one steak/elk meal...

I’ve heard/read for cancer treatment/prevention that it needs to be crazy like that 80-95% fat or something. But for us? I’d love to learn more..:

Last edited:
On Joe Rogan podcast he’s had doctors and athletes etc talk about it and I believe there was one that said there’s some athletes who are so Keto adapted that even 200g of carbs didn’t take them out of ketosis... Pretty sure I heard it on there...

Either way, I think the amount of protein allowed can be raised significantly from 20% with great success and would bet majority are above it..

Also, has anyone looked into Carnivore diet? Like Keto, but no greens or veggies..

How is it possible to only get 20% protein and be effective at what we’re trying to do? That’s like 60g of protein a day and like 265g fat for someone eating 3k calories... Am I supposed to eat a chicken breast and just chug olive oil the rest of the day? Lol I don’t know. Sounds weird to me.. I’m sure some of these athletes get more than that on one steak/elk meal...

I’ve heard/read for cancer treatment/prevention that it needs to be crazy like that 80-95% fat or something. But for us? I’d love to learn more..:

Yup the carnivore diet is really what I'm doing + eggs and still doing whey protein. Just ordered some keto sticks so I can see if I can still be in ketosis

I'm doing a carnivore diet right now. Im not counting calories atm just eating when hungry. I usually eat 4 meals a day. I used my fitnesspal for a couple random days here and there to see what I was consuming(340-400 grams protein and 170-200 grams fat). Not losing strength, weights around 220 down from 230...mainly water, and I'm not fatigued.

I'm a fan of keto I just find myself constantly trying to cheat the system.... Like making carbless bread or drinking sugar free all day long just to feel like I'm consuming sugar, never filling the void and constantly hungry lol.

I would never get too obsessed with using things like keto strips. Just dial things back to a manageable amount where you can move towards your gold without being miserable. Of course if your bodybuilding then being miserable will be part of the process at some point.

Sent from my S2_PRO using Tapatalk

Yep. I believe it. Like i said if your body is fat adapted for months on end it knows what to do. If youve been keto for 23 days...no. I think MPA would have sushi refeeds and still wake up in ketosis.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Pdx236
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws