YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

What's the worst environment that you have ever trained in?

STORM SHADOW said:
My company has a wellness center for the employees.

My company has a wellness center too. I am curious if we work for the same company.

Anywho, some of the worst places I have trained have been some of the cleanest, upscale, and over-equipped gyms out there. All that tends to attract the 120lb tards who think that they can swing 5olb dumbells up and down and grunt like they are doing something. I can't stand listening to Mariah Carey while trying to PR on a deadlift. God forbid you bring chalk to one of those places.

The best place I have ever trained is in a buddies cold, smelly, and small but well-equipped home gym. It is in his basement out in the country and nobody bitches about flying chalk dust and the blaring sounds of Mastodon in the background! Give me a rack, bench and a ton of iron and I am a happy lifter!

STORM SHADOW said:
yes..I forgot to mention that... our wellness center (Corporate Gym), also has major ettiquette issues.... I'm glad I'm a mild person. And the wellness center also takes on all the light duty/physical therapy patients of the company too. Working out there will age you.... because 'THEY' are there too... and 'THEY' will turn you.

SS

I'm not a mild person at all and it's a good thing I'm moving across town. I've already had a few confrontations.

I love this thread. Many great examples of difficult situations.

Here is another. Picture a Rezervation with over 90% alcoholism rate. The place is called the "pool"....yes, because there is acually a swimming pool at the 'facility'. The place isn't cleaned well and there is mold in the corners of the showers, in the lockerroom. The mold has to compete with the copenhagen snuff chew stains, but it is visible. Many children use the actual pool, and it isn't often cleaned. More chlorine is occasionally added and there is a slight smell of urine in the air, which you can easily smell in the weight room area.

The 'equipment'...what little there is of it...is rusted and filthy. There is an old multi-station universal with a few broken plate stacks and frayed cables on the lat pulldown station. All upholstery is torn and in shabby condition with the carpet so filthy and stained it is impossible to distinguish the original color.

I would make sure I was all covered up and not because I am shy. I just didn't want any contact with my skin and the surface of anything in the building. Combine that with the stunningly fit clientel...a few grossly fat guys with skinny arms and legs and yet sporting the hanging man boobs! Nice! These guys don't particularily like white guys on their turf, so they spend most of their time scowling at me while I tried to get some sort of lifting done.

There is no squat rack..plus a total of 400lbs in the whole area. The area for weight lifing is about 3 normal sized living rooms, dumbells of various types, all loose and skanky. On the bright side, money was spent on cardio equipment 2 good treadmills and a stair stepper. The last time I showed up only one piece of cardio equipment was functioning. The sad victims of neglect, I am afraid!

There are some good athletes in the area..great basketball players and runners. Weight lifting facilities are sorely lacking!
It didn't take long and I started bying my own weight equipment.

Thanks to all for sharing those stories...I can honestly say now that I should not be complaining compared to some of your worst training environments.

Training incarcerated would have to rank among the worst environments of all.
Training on a navy ship swinging back and forth. Can you imagine? Now there's a potential where every workout could literally end with a good puke (not just on leg day).

Training in the snow mountains of Kosavo in a non-heated tent is also pretty bad.

Trainin' on the farm...I can just picture Phil out on his grandpa's farm...(picture it)

Phil's grandad: "Hey Phil, do you know what happenend to the tire swing?

Phil: "Yeah grandpa, I took it down from the tree again so that I could do my squats...
Now that's some hardcore trainin' Phil.

LiLSaVaGe said:
I spent 6 years in the NAVY, 5 of them on a ship. Try squattin and benching while the ship is pitchin and rolling, one second you feel like He-Man and another second you feel like just givin up training forever, it sucked. Than you have to deal 2,000 Marines where that's all they have to do is eat, lift, and clean their guns.....Damn shoulda went to the Corp.

Big bump! Same sh_t here!

either my basement when i was kid, due to lack of equipment, or apartment gym now for the same reason. :(

BIGKIWI said:
hahah cool :) worst I had stuck prison earlier in year for 2 1/2 months no weights allowed where I was, so had to lift inmates instead :)
So it was a case of "look ma no hands? lol"sorry mate i had too. If you had no weights privy how did you have access to other crimes? sounds like you must have been in remand at rimutaka?

when I first started lifting,my dad only had dumbbells (hand made at his work), a bench, and I found in my basement, a thick ass bamboo stick. I would put gallons of paint on each end and bench it. when my dad saw that, he said "ok this is enough, I'm taking you out to buy real weights before you drop a gallon on paint on your damn head" hahaha loved my dad man.

JW

So here I am ....one more week left in the rougher part of town. My wife and I bought a house in my old neighborhood in the awesome part of town. But with one week left... I'm at the Club and and some maint guys were working on the cable cross overs.. I'm doing back and the bar is locked into the cable. I walk over to them and say "excuse me...but does that bar on the lat pull down machine have to be locked in?" maint guys "yeah, people tend to use the equipment here as weapons" I say "no fucking way" maint "yeah, we locked in the bar when somebody took it off and hurled it across the room to attack somebody and it went right through the wall mirrors and through the wall" I'm like WTF. maint "well it's been awhile...we'll unlock it and put a snap ring on it for now..but if anybody uses it as a weapon again, we'll have to put the bars in the club back into lock down"

SS

Worst ever...

Say what you want but training with the smell of mold, urinals, and old sweat while looking at cob webs, tinted windows and 3 lights out of 20 that work may work for some guys but i want a little more then that....

Blood and guts my ass.... run a vaccum, replace the lightbulbs,clean the bathrooms and drag a rag across the machines to get rid of the spiders...

That was an unpleasent experince that day...never went back, not even for a $150 a year...

Any damn ship I was on in the Navy, they bobbed like a cork. you'd set the bar down on the deck after doing curls and it would roll into your shins if you didn't lock it in with something. Benching while the ship rocks forward and side to side. Squating and taking a 30 degree roll(you walk down the deck with the weight on your back). everything else I've been in has been a big improvement. J.R.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws