YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

What's your other big hobby or interest?

Absolutely. I will get a picture of the ones in the shadowbox this evening. When I visit my sister this month I will get picts of one of the displays. My sister told me she also found a few more boxes last week in an old trunk we had. Also found a letter from my father to the father of a friend in February 1945 just after my father was in the Battle of the Bulge I believe. It seems there was a special stationary you had to write on and then get the letter cleared to send. They then shrunk it and put it in a small envelope and sent it on its way. It is amazing to realize I am holding what he wrote as a 19 year old in that horrific setting in my hands.

PWood

You certainly have a very interesting history.

Let me know when you are ready to go and I will get what I have
(very little compared to you I suspect) photographed.

I think I am going to very impressed.

And the Battle of the Bulge. More history, and more to be impressed with.

Thank you for taking the time to do this.

You certainly have a very interesting history.

Let me know when you are ready to go and I will get what I have
(very little compared to you I suspect) photographed.

I think I am going to very impressed.

And the Battle of the Bulge. More history, and more to be impressed with.

Thank you for taking the time to do this.

Alfresco

I am attempting to attach the display box I have in my house. My sister is pulling together the others as well as some pieces of tools, a head of clay doll I believe, and a vase.

It is remarkable how little interest I put in the history of my home since I always lived there. One building my high school owned was a mansion built in the mid 1800's after the Cherokee were forced out. It served as both the headquarters of a Union General (boo, hiss) as well as a field hospital. One of my classmates resided there for a short time with his family and under a rug by an upstairs window there were still blood stains inthe hardwood by a window. The room was used for amputations and a wagon placed below to catch the limbs. I literally was surrounded by this history for 18 years and ignored it. I believe Forrest said it first, "I am not a smart man". One of the Cherokee minor chiefs from the 1800's is buried on or near one of my relatives land.

I liken my view of my area with its' rich Indian and War of Northern Agression heritage to the way my girlfriend of 19 years' family in Italy consider the things they grew up around in Rome. Her fathers jewlry shop was two blocks from the Spainish steps down Via Condotti. He literally rode by the Coliseum on the way to and from work for decades. I would be in the car just amazed that the other folks in the car aren't staring in amazement of everthing around them, the Coliseum, the Forum, etc that you can see on our daily drive. Often when I visit a place in Rome with her nephews or siblings, it is often the first time they have ever visited the site as well, even having lived there all their lives. I remember going with her father when he was alive to the Umbria region to get a Prosciutto in the fall. We are walking in the town of Assisi on a non descript day and I am staring a several hundred year old castle. Out of nowhere his name is called and man approaches us. He knew my girlfriends father from many years earlier. He invited us into his home for a drink and lo and behold we are led into the castle I was staring at. I am sitting in one of the kitchens of the castle drinking homemade Limoncello watching a little girl play with her cat. She has no idea how remarkable we from America think her several hundred year old castle is. To her it was just home, plain and simple. It was almost like I was in the twilight zone and that was before the Limoncello.

At the "vineyard" property just outside of Rome that we spend weekends at when we are over there, I can literally see multiple Acqua Duct ruins across the street about 200 meters away. No one even notices, while I sit there and stare dumbfounded at the engineering, the history, wealth, etc of that time. Hell it is only a couple kilometers from the old Appian Way which you can still ride on sections of and bike on most today.

I will post more when my sister sends them.

PWood

Attachments

• IMG_2418 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_2418 - Copy.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2417 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_2417 - Copy.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 8
Alfresco

I am attempting to attach the display box I have in my house. My sister is pulling together the others as well as some pieces of tools, a head of clay doll I believe, and a vase.

It is remarkable how little interest I put in the history of my home since I always lived there. One building my high school owned was a mansion built in the mid 1800's after the Cherokee were forced out. It served as both the headquarters of a Union General (boo, hiss) as well as a field hospital. One of my classmates resided there for a short time with his family and under a rug by an upstairs window there were still blood stains inthe hardwood by a window. The room was used for amputations and a wagon placed below to catch the limbs. I literally was surrounded by this history for 18 years and ignored it. I believe Forrest said it first, "I am not a smart man". One of the Cherokee minor chiefs from the 1800's is buried on or near one of my relatives land.

I liken my view of my area with its' rich Indian and War of Northern Agression heritage to the way my girlfriend of 19 years' family in Italy consider the things they grew up around in Rome. Her fathers jewlry shop was two blocks from the Spainish steps down Via Condotti. He literally rode by the Coliseum on the way to and from work for decades. I would be in the car just amazed that the other folks in the car aren't staring in amazement of everthing around them, the Coliseum, the Forum, etc that you can see on our daily drive. Often when I visit a place in Rome with her nephews or siblings, it is often the first time they have ever visited the site as well, even having lived there all their lives. I remember going with her father when he was alive to the Umbria region to get a Prosciutto in the fall. We are walking in the town of Assisi on a non descript day and I am staring a several hundred year old castle. Out of nowhere his name is called and man approaches us. He knew my girlfriends father from many years earlier. He invited us into his home for a drink and lo and behold we are led into the castle I was staring at. I am sitting in one of the kitchens of the castle drinking homemade Limoncello watching a little girl play with her cat. She has no idea how remarkable we from America think her several hundred year old castle is. To her it was just home, plain and simple. It was almost like I was in the twilight zone and that was before the Limoncello.

At the "vineyard" property just outside of Rome that we spend weekends at when we are over there, I can literally see multiple Acqua Duct ruins across the street about 200 meters away. No one even notices, while I sit there and stare dumbfounded at the engineering, the history, wealth, etc of that time. Hell it is only a couple kilometers from the old Appian Way which you can still ride on sections of and bike on most today.

I will post more when my sister sends them.

PWood

Great post. You appreciation for history and place is very evident and I can tell you
have a love for life and all that it entails.

Your Indian points are wonderful and well displayed. My wife has often encouraged
me to do what you have done so perhaps your fotos will encourage me to do so.

Do you know what kind of material they are made of? Flint, obsidian or chert?
Mine are all obsidian as near as I can tell.

I will post up some fotos ASAP. And looking forward to more of yours. Thank you.

Great post. You appreciation for history and place is very evident and I can tell you

Your Indian points are wonderful and well displayed. My wife has often encouraged

I will post up some fotos ASAP. And looking forward to more of yours. Thank you.

The vast majority are flint, but I know we have at least four other kinds, I will have to ask my sister if she has my mothers notes stored. There is a reddish one that is pretty rare for my area, I will try to find it. I am sending you a PM.

Collecting knives
Boxing- never wanted to be pro or amateur just always was fascinated by it when I went to first lesson at 8. My uncle was golden glove back in the day........I just always wanted to be able to defend myself if needed
Basketball- but to old and bulky to play anymore

Here are two more boxed versions that belong to my sister and deceased little brother. Also a spread out collection of the contents of one box. In the upper right corner of the horizontal pict you can see some parts of tools. We do not yet know the provenance of vase.

On a side note, I found today some initial "takeoffs" of Yogi Bear and Fred Flintstone cartoons. They are crude storyboard type sketches done on paper that is now almost the color of a paper supermarket bag. They are framed and came in an estate where I bought the house, truck, and all contents of a fellow who passed.

I hope you guys enjoy these, the sweat of my wasted childhood is soaked into every piece.

PWood

Attachments

• IMG_2451 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_2451 - Copy.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2450 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_2450 - Copy.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2449 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_2449 - Copy.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2448 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_2448 - Copy.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2447 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_2447 - Copy.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 5
(y)

Very impressed.

Makes me embarrassed to show mine. They pale by comparison both in size (number)
and presentation to mine.

Problem is . . . went into my attic over the garage and could not find them. Went to our
storage locker and could not find them. They have to be in the attic somewhere, tomorrow
in the cool of the morning I will do a more thorough search.

And what also went missing, and is probably in the same place, is what remains of my knife
collection (some interesting ones). When all this materializes I will post them up.

The only bright side of this morning is I yhat ran across my old Kyokushinkai karate gi.
A friend of mine bought it for me when he went to Japan with my Sensei to visit Mas Oyama.
I was asked to go but I don't think I had the money or was in school at the time.
Another one of the thousand regrets in my life.

Attachments

• gi.jpg
    gi.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 5
  • label.jpg
    label.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 5
I used to be into watches but when i started working from home in March i stopped wearing them. When i put one on about a week ago it was pretty awkward, so i'll probably never wear one again, weird.

I learned how to play happy birthday on the piano because my wife said it would be romantic, that was back at the beginning of September...I've since forgotten, and piano is much more difficult than i had imagined it would be. i really thought i would be playing November Rain in a week LOL.

(y)

Very impressed.

Makes me embarrassed to show mine. They pale by comparison both in size (number)
and presentation to mine.

Problem is . . . went into my attic over the garage and could not find them. Went to our
storage locker and could not find them. They have to be in the attic somewhere, tomorrow
in the cool of the morning I will do a more thorough search.

And what also went missing, and is probably in the same place, is what remains of my knife
collection (some interesting ones). When all this materializes I will post them up.

The only bright side of this morning is I yhat ran across my old Kyokushinkai karate gi.
A friend of mine bought it for me when he went to Japan with my Sensei to visit Mas Oyama.
I was asked to go but I don't think I had the money or was in school at the time.
Another one of the thousand regrets in my life.

Very neat. I sure it brings up good memories. Most of the time I go down memory lane, left to my own devices, I take rough roads. This thread has certainly led me down more pleasant ones, I need to do a better job traveling these roads when my mind gets started!

I can take very little credit for the things I literally stumbled on. It was a forced march. Only now later in life do I appreciate what she may have been doing. We grew up in a pretty poor area, it still is, and had little material things. She new that exploring those turned up fields and finding these pieces would take on a thought trip of wonderment and adventure that we could afford since it only costs our time and a few dirty knees and fingernails. Contemplating the work that went into the objects, how they came to be where we found them, the utility they may have brought to the lives of the owners. These were not bought at the Walmart, these were very intentional possessions that could provide food, security, and be used as currency. We are left with many unanswered questions but the foremost of these may be "100mg once a week or 10mg Sq every Day?"

PWood

(y) Well said.

I found my arrowhead collection. Let's start wit the biggest ones and I will graduate
down to the smallest, most delicate ones. One was so small and delicate that
I carried it under my tongue.

To this day I cannot fathom the skill and patience that went into crafting something
that you said "could provide food, security, and be used as currency."

Posted here are two large digging or scraping implements I found side by side in a
field directly in front of my house. I am assuming at their use as there was nothing
large enough from then to be 'used on' as spear point excepting the bear that
roamed freely back in the day.

Attachments

• IMG_0088.jpg
    IMG_0088.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 9
By the way, just happened upon this gorgeous little guy

Looks like a beautiful ratttlesnake.

Seems to have pink hue. I have heard of these (color) but don't remember any details.

Do you know what kind?

When? Where? And how long?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20201010_103913.jpg
    20201010_103913.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 4
(y) Well said.

I found my arrowhead collection. Let's start wit the biggest ones and I will graduate
down to the smallest, most delicate ones. One was so small and delicate that
I carried it under my tongue.

To this day I cannot fathom the skill and patience that went into crafting something
that you said "could provide food, security, and be used as currency."

Posted here are two large digging or scraping implements I found side by side in a
field directly in front of my house. I am assuming at their use as there was nothing
large enough from then to be 'used on' as spear point excepting the bear that
roamed freely back in the day.
Obsidian? Beautiful looking. Any idea how old those might be?

More arrowheads. A few are clear as glass and so delicate that I carried them back
under my tongue to avoid breaking them.

Interesting history . . .

These I found up near Mount Lassen, headwater of Mill Creek, the stomping grounds of Ishi.
Ishi ( c. 1861 – March 25, 1916) was the last known member of the Native American Yahi tribe.
He was found, starving near a slaughterhouse near Oroville in N. California, far away from his
'home' and I believe, prior of that, what remained of his tribe was hunted down and murdered.
(Don't you just love the human race.) His 'capture' came to the attention of a Berkeley anthro-
pologist named Thomas Waterman. He was taken into protection and moved to live at the
Berkeley University museum, where their ability to communicate gradually improved with a
book by about him, with fotos (film too?) of him hunting and living in the wild called
Ishi in Two Worlds by Theodoro Kroeber. (One of my favorite books.) For five years, Ishi lived
at the Berkeley Museum. He and Waterman became close friends, and he spent his days
describing his tribal customs and demonstrating his wilderness skills in archery, woodcraft,
and other traditional techniques. He learned to understand and survive in the white world,
and enjoyed wandering the Bay area communities and riding on the trolley cars. Eventually he
contracted tuberculosis. He died on March 25, 1916, at an estimated age of 56. His body
was cremated according to the customs of his people.

Alfred Louis Kroeber was also the first professor appointed to the Department of Anthropology
at UCB. He played an integral role in the early days of its Museum of Anthropology, where he
served as director from 1909 through 1947. Kroeber provided detailed information about Ishi,
the last surviving member of the Yahi people whom he studied over a period of years.

I think as I mentioned I tried to donated this arrowheads to the museum and while they appreciated
the gesture and loved the arrow points. they served no real value (other than their beauty) as with
most things archeologically their exact and me not knowing it, was told to keep them safe.

Attachments

• IMG_0094.jpg
    IMG_0094.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0098.jpg
    IMG_0098.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0101.jpg
    IMG_0101.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 5
More arrowheads. A few are clear as glass and so delicate that I carried them back
under my tongue to avoid breaking them.

Interesting history . . .

These I found up near Mount Lassen, headwater of Mill Creek, the stomping grounds of Ishi.
Ishi ( c. 1861 – March 25, 1916) was the last known member of the Native American Yahi tribe.
He was found, starving near a slaughterhouse near Oroville in N. California, far away from his
'home' and I believe, prior of that, what remained of his tribe was hunted down and murdered.
(Don't you just love the human race.) His 'capture' came to the attention of a Berkeley anthro-
pologist named Thomas Waterman. He was taken into protection and moved to live at the
Berkeley University museum, where their ability to communicate gradually improved with a
book by about him, with fotos (film too?) of him hunting and living in the wild called
Ishi in Two Worlds by Theodoro Kroeber. (One of my favorite books.) For five years, Ishi lived
at the Berkeley Museum. He and Waterman became close friends, and he spent his days
describing his tribal customs and demonstrating his wilderness skills in archery, woodcraft,
and other traditional techniques. He learned to understand and survive in the white world,
and enjoyed wandering the Bay area communities and riding on the trolley cars. Eventually he
contracted tuberculosis. He died on March 25, 1916, at an estimated age of 56. His body
was cremated according to the customs of his people.

Alfred Louis Kroeber was also the first professor appointed to the Department of Anthropology
at UCB. He played an integral role in the early days of its Museum of Anthropology, where he
served as director from 1909 through 1947. Kroeber provided detailed information about Ishi,
the last surviving member of the Yahi people whom he studied over a period of years.

I think as I mentioned I tried to donated this arrowheads to the museum and while they appreciated
the gesture and loved the arrow points. they served no real value (other than their beauty) as with
most things archeologically their exact and me not knowing it, was told to keep them safe.
Simply amazing that anything that small an intricate was made by hand. They look very precise too.

Looks like a beautiful ratttlesnake.

Seems to have pink hue. I have heard of these (color) but don't remember any details.

Do you know what kind?

When? Where? And how long?

Thanks.

It's a Southern Copperhead. Fairly small guy, very non defensive, really. He struck a pose, then fucked off into the bushes. First he tried to flatten out and look bigger. If there's such a thing, if you were to be bitten by a venomous snake, that's the one you wanna get bitten by. They're all over the place and people get bitten all the time. If you're healthy, about a week in the hospital for monitoring, that's about it. They still kill people, but usually elderly or young.

Yes, hue can be locality or just genetics. He was a very striking dude.

It's a Southern Copperhead. Fairly small guy, very non defensive, really. He struck a pose, then fucked off into the bushes. First he tried to flatten out and look bigger. If there's such a thing, if you were to be bitten by a venomous snake, that's the one you wanna get bitten by. They're all over the place and people get bitten all the time. If you're healthy, about a week in the hospital for monitoring, that's about it. They still kill people, but usually elderly or young.

Beautiful snake. And yes, hue can be due to locality (think color / camouflage).

Another one of my many regrets is that I did not venture out of Sonoma County
to capture other types of rattlesnakes. Guess I still could but I have too many
competing interests at the moment.

Yes. correct on who they typically kill. Further, there are more lies and misconceptions
about rattlesnakes than perhaps another creature on God's green earth . . . like they
are immune to their own bites, smaller ones (babies?) more venous than larger ones,
etc. All and more not true.

And some rattlesnakes are more 'venomous' than others if memory serves as are certain
species more aggressive (this is true).

All animals 'telegraph' there intent if you know what to look for . . . elephants by their ears,
a rattlesnake by their tongue, etc. . . . having been on the receiving end of those two and
others. I remember once in Yosemite NP (yes, in the park) coming across a rattlesnake
and I promptly showed my wife that I could tell her exactly when it was going to strike.
(When my wife was hiking the PCT, she came across one on the snow at a higher elevation.)
It is easy once you know what to look for. Like I said, all animals do this, as do human
beings.

Will post up shortly some very interesting rattlesnake fotos of a man in his younger days
you might recognize. It's a quiz ;)

What most people now, or even then, never suspected that something, anything like
the ‘snake business’ even existed but was in fact a rather large business in this country
for more than half a century.

He (pictured) worked in 'carnies' handling snakes, later imported them by literally the
ten's of thousands as rattlers are nervous creatures and when being handled regularly
had a 'shelf life' of about 2 weeks which almost guaranteed him an almost unlimited
supply of customers. And when bitten, not if bitten, he even went so far as to devise
a way to hook up a hose, as a suction devise, to the intake manifold of his car to suck
the venom out.

Attachments

• ajs1.jpg
    ajs1.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 3
  • ajs2.jpg
    ajs2.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 3
  • ajs3.jpg
    ajs3.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 3
  • ajs4.jpg
    ajs4.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 3
  • ajs5.jpg
    ajs5.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 3
Nerd stuff... Star Wars, Transformers, Masters of the Universe...

Attachments

• 4556D303-4A5A-434C-BF66-9DE604839D24.jpeg
    4556D303-4A5A-434C-BF66-9DE604839D24.jpeg
    186.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 5D0C6E97-8527-42FE-A9E8-A48B4C811A18.jpeg
    5D0C6E97-8527-42FE-A9E8-A48B4C811A18.jpeg
    196.7 KB · Views: 7
  • E12E373D-B407-4D04-8B23-6899A641A1B3.jpeg
    E12E373D-B407-4D04-8B23-6899A641A1B3.jpeg
    100.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 1890676C-B170-47B0-956C-918A819313B6.jpeg
    1890676C-B170-47B0-956C-918A819313B6.jpeg