over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

when are you ready to step on stage?

engbulldog

Registered
Well just been thinking about doing my first show and there are days I feel like I'm ready and others not so much ,I know I'm lacking in some areas like hamstrings and quad sweep, but every year I say I'm gonna do a show and I puss out and find a reason to bail out,
Now I'm 38 yrs old and in ok shape from what I can see and everyone tells me I'm huge and call me Mr Muscles @work, which is funny to me, but I really dont know how to tell if I'm really ready???
I dont post alot of pics on here or the net , I dont workout in a gym its all at home with a P.O.S weight set, cant afford to hire Shelby,or Phil to whip me into shape.. what is a guy to do??? I never go into anything half ass and I will not just do a show to see how it goes

thanks for your time and sorry for the long read

engbulldog

TBH some pics would more than likely entice others to chime in with some advice.. You are your worst critic, so it's good to get an outside perspective

1) Don't get stuck trying to meet a weight requirment , that will never end well as it'll cause you to not get lean enough cause you want to compete heavier or it'll cause you to diet and cardio off to much muscle trying to sneak into a lower class , get as lean as possible and try to keep as much muscle as possible.

2) Set a show date and stick to it 100% if at 2 weeks out you are not where some of the guys here think you should be then pick a later show.

You can get a shit load of great dieting into and guidance just from reading here and using the objective eye of some of the competing members here.

Their was some pics here of a guy that dieted into a show and was in fantastic shape just following one of Shelby's books

You never know if you are ready until after your first one. the first one is a learning experience. Go through all the crap, make all the mistakes and your next show is the one where you determine your strengths and weaknesses going in.

For your first show, being ready has almost nothing to do with your physique.

It's things like, uneven tan application.
Bad or wrong posing oil.
Poor posing.
choking up during a routine.
Being thrown off by the blinding lights and not being able to see the judges and audience.
Dealing with assholes backstage.
Being a nervous wreck beyond all recognition.
Forgetting to eat during the day, eating too much.
Leaving your gym bag at home on the way to the show

etc etc etc

Get the experience under your belt. There are other things to worry about during a show than just your body fat.

I can tell you that entering a show was one of the best things I had ever done for this hobby.. It allows you to pinpoint a date, and to commit to being your very best on one day. Since I started competing, I have made better gains in two years than I had in 5. Yes, you will probably get out of your comfort zone, but getting out of this zone, will allow you to grow both mentally and physically!

Best to you.

Half the people I see do shows aren't ready to do them but they do them.

I think the better question is can I be competitive enough to compete. Anyone can compete if they want to.

Just diet down get ripped and do one. Then you'll know!

Pick a show then go search for last years results. By seeing who placed last year and won the overall it'll give you a better idea if you'll be competitive or the best.

After you buy your pink thong.

pick a show, make a commitment. start your diet farther out then you think you need. and diet down till you are in contest shape. don't pick a weight or a weight class as that may not be where you are really at.

I think the better question is can I be competitive enough to compete. Anyone can compete if they want to.

What He Said!!!!:headbang:

it is not about being competative always. It has a lot to do with setting a date and meeting goals. It is a huge learning experience. Rarely does anyone do great their first show! jump in!

It is expensive to do a show. entry fees, tanning, supplements, food, you need good cardio equipement for sure unless you plan on walking outside every day rain or shine.

Best advice EVER!!

Thanks guys for the advice, I guess I'll have to post some picks and let the madness start, and as for a show ,does anyone know of a small local show in or around ft.wayne Indiana?

You will never be ready. Just do it.

My thoughts exactly!!!!!

Nobody ever believes there ready, truth is you just gotta do it, get on with it and learn from your mistakes!

Read Big A`s guide on dieting for a show and follow that - works like a charm!

http://www.professionalmuscle.com/forums/articles-forum/1157-dieting-getting-ready-competition.html

Start a log in the members forum, it gives you the motivation to continue.

Weekly photos so you can see your progress. Dont weigh yourself more than once week, always the same time and under the same circumstances!

As somebody has stated, if the show date comes round and your not ready, postpone, then post pics, the guys here will be more than happy to tell you your right/wrong!

Alot of us have been there, my 1st show i trained at a gym where the owner would quite happily let you compete under the gyms name but when it came down to it he was an old boy and really didnt give a shit/give you any help at all:banghead:

Just do it, cuz youl never know how good you are till your in condition, and even if it comes to nothing, book a holiday for after the show, at least youl look your best ever round the pool ;)

this thread just got me motivated to prep for a comp.. Thanks BULLDOG for starting this:headbang:

Just do what I did find a show and pay for it. That will lock you in. Then set your wallpaper on your computer phone and ect as an NPC trophy.

I only made the mistake of starting my prep just over 11 weeks out. If i would have done 16 weeks i would have came in shredded. I still one the show, but it was a pretty small show 114 people I think total and more of them physique and girls. I had 5 guys in my group.

The show is a blast and going into the show puts you that much a head, because when you look at your pics, videos and ect. You realize what you need to work on so next year you will be that much better. Because you really dont know what you REALLY need to work on until you diet down.

That and the entire show was a blast talking to kai green and flex wheeler. ProM here helped me the entire show, guys on the board helped me. I bugged Gunsmith allot and read through all his threads (great info). I bought shelbys books now and going to read them to further educate my self. I am also going to start reading more nutritional books to full understand what everything does.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
MindMuscle88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws