over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

When do you use Knee Wraps

dragonfire101

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Just wondering when you use your knee wraps. I use to only use them when I was on last 2 sets with maybe 5 plates. I was just wondering if anyone uses them right from the beginning. I feel like a wuss needing to using them with only 3 plates. Being over 30 now and after 2 knee surgeries I feel like I need them the entire time squatting to do squats.

Last edited:
I am in my mid 20s and I always wrap my knees from start to finish with squats, no matter the weight. The reason is because I want to have good knees when im in my 30s,40s etc. I notice a difference the next day if I did not wrap my knees and not in a good way... my legs get the same workout just my knees feel like shit

Also I work security so I am standing for hours on end on boots and they make my knees pretty tired.

I started using wraps this year because I have persistant pain in my right knee. When squatting I warm up doing a sets of 10-15 reps going up 1 plate at a time, and wrap when I get to 405 and above. Usually at 405 the knee pain subsides.
The wraps have made a huge difference for me, giving me more onfidence. I am squating better then ever now

Screw what anyone else thinks.

Don't feel like a wussy. If your shit hurts when you don't use them, use them.

I start out with the 45's on each side and although I don't wrap tight, I wrap them.

That's just me though and you know what? No one in the gym says shit about it.

Meredith bought me some of those knee sleves. Now I use those instead.

Usually only use them when going over 500lbs or if my knees have been feeling a bit bad I'll start using them when going over 400lbs. My knees would be absolutely dead when I'm doing 515lbs for 10 reps if I didn't wear them.

I wrap them when I hit 405 and above unless they ache prior... I have tendonitis in my right knee so I listen to my body and adjust as needed! I could care less what anyone else thinks... I think me and my TP are the only ones in my gym that squat without the Smith machine anyways!!!

I played baseball and was a catcher for years...For a while I still did squats and lunges etc. Now, my knees are def. bad/hurt...I even broke a tibia. My glutes are big enough...I only train legs every so often and light but, I should be using wraps...I mean, everything helps, right?!:eek:

I'm like you Dragon. I tend to use my wraps as I get heavy, not before. But after 30+ years of lifting hard and being 57, sometimes I feel I need I need to wrap my whole damn body. :eek:

me usually anything over 405 and if I go really heavy leg presses or hacks, or if my knees are bothering me that day

my workout partner goes with wraps at anything over 405. I dont wrap. 500 is what I am trying to crack for five, so I think I will start wrapping after that. Better safe than sorry.

I copy what I've seen those with great legs do. Ronnie Coleman, at least in his training vids, wraps anything above 405. Tom Platz did the same. Monkey see monkey do, haha.

However, I'm beginning to wonder if wrapping even when using lower weights would be wise for long-term joint preservation...

My answer is never. Never straps or wraps. Belt on heavy ass squats when I hit triples. Been squattin for 27 years. I think they take away from the lift unless you have some sort of degenerative meniscal issue or an accident of course. I say go as heavy and hard without the supportive gear. Hence ya got a week grip for pulldowns or rows or deads work on the weakest link your radialus and brachioradialus. Got weak knees? blast the insertion points of the quads and hams. But again if you have an abnormality or degeneration I allow my athletes to use em. But gloves- a big no no in my place. They walk in with em I say "I hope those are your driving gloves!"

I never use gloves but my girl complains;) Guess I'm doing things wrong lol

My answer is never. Never straps or wraps. Belt on heavy ass squats when I hit triples. Been squattin for 27 years. I think they take away from the lift unless you have some sort of degenerative meniscal issue or an accident of course. I say go as heavy and hard without the supportive gear. Hence ya got a week grip for pulldowns or rows or deads work on the weakest link your radialus and brachioradialus. Got weak knees? blast the insertion points of the quads and hams. But again if you have an abnormality or degeneration I allow my athletes to use em. But gloves- a big no no in my place. They walk in with em I say "I hope those are your driving gloves!"

I have very little meniscus left in my knees. Had two knee surgeries. Whats best exercises to blast the insertion points of the quads and hams for the knees.

I started using wraps this year because I have persistant pain in my right knee. When squatting I warm up doing a sets of 10-15 reps going up 1 plate at a time, and wrap when I get to 405 and above. Usually at 405 the knee pain subsides.
The wraps have made a huge difference for me, giving me more onfidence. I am squating better then ever now

I do the same thing as this....Heavy set only.

Only on the heaviest of sets for squats.
I'll warm up with 135/315/405/495, then start wrapping.

Only on the heaviest of sets for squats.
I'll warm up with 135/315/405/495, then start wrapping.

You start wraps after 495? Holy crap man! And I thought I was strong for my size. I've always enjoyed your posts, but now I just feel bad for me. :eek:

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws