over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

When doing seated dumbell curls...

Jake LaMotta

Registered
When doing seated dumbbell curls...

Why do some people start in a hammer curl position and than twist up into a regular curl position (supination)? Wouldn't it be better just to start in a regular curl position and just curl up from there? What is the point of the 'twist' (supinating)? Is there a difference between the two? Which one is better for targeting the biceps?

Last edited:
Let me take chance at this

Every exercise is not going to be precise, sometimes you have to modify certain exercise to feel the muscle actually contracting.. If you want max isolation on your peak, then keep it in a curl position or do some spider curls.. The reason why it is necessary to start of in a hammer curl position is because you want to stimulate your brachii which is located on the outside of your biceps between your peak and triceps, this muscle could increase your overall width and possibly heighten your peak.
click on this link to see what I'm talking about, kewl visual
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
So you're saying that NOT supinating the wrists when doing seated dumbbell curls will actually build your bicep 'peak' more?

Last edited:
Yes!!

Well you need to experiment on your self, when you go threw the motion what muscle contract the most.. I'm sure the bicep lengthens when you bring down the weight, so when your bringing it up, what contracts the most? the peak of your bicep right .. what is your aim? what are you trying to target?

Very quick anatomy lesson here. Part of the main function of the biceps is to pronate and supinate the wrist! If you dont believe me try this with your arm not quite at 90 degrees pronate and then supinate your wrist look at your biceps while doing this. Hence the reasone for supinating at the mid range portion of the curl. It fulfills all of the biceps functions. Lifting and supinating, thus stimulating the maximum amount of muscle at one time. The supinated position at the top of the curl and a squeeze provide maximum peak contraction. Biceps 101 concluded.

Jake LaMotta said:
I would like to know which one builds a better peak.
BTW wicked peaks on biceps are genetics. No amount of curling will change this. it all has to do with the length and insertion points of the biceps muscles them selves!!

supinating your wrist also involves the brachioradialis which is the large muscle at the upper-dorsal part of your forearm, doing curls the way you described would also put it into action.
Personally, I stick to the paradigm of straight forward movements and building strength at those movements as a means of building arms size.

Exactly, either you are blessed with a "bi" cep or your not. There are a few guys at my gym that have outstanding seperation of the inner and outter. I am sort of in the middle.

Hammer curls

I thought Hammer curls (thumbs up throughout excercise) was the way to broaden and build outter bicep head. And peak work was done palms up. By twisting on contraction, you're saying you can accomplish both?
I always do hammers solo, then straight or E-Z bar curls for peak.
This would save time if it really works.

It's based on the false logic that you can train the brachii and brachialis effectively in one and the same movement. Same reason why curl bar curls suck too

Either do your curls supinated for the brachii or with a hammer grip for the brachialis, no 'in-betweens'

Moen said:
It's based on the false logic that you can train the brachii and brachialis effectively in one and the same movement. Same reason why curl bar curls suck too

Either do your curls supinated for the brachii or with a hammer grip for the brachialis, no 'in-betweens'

I share the same oppinion.

oldfella said:
BTW wicked peaks on biceps are genetics. No amount of curling will change this. it all has to do with the length and insertion points of the biceps muscles them selves!!

BINGO

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Spinaltap88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity