YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

When should you stop doing bench presses because of safety concerns?

At 47, I have been benching for over 30 years. At 6'1" and 210lbs I can press 225 20 times. However, the max I lift is 275-285.
Your ability to continue to benefit from "the King" of chest exercises is directly related to muscle balance around the shoulder. I attribute my ability to continue benching to my emphasis on rotator cuff and rear delt balance, as well as antagonist training. I bench 1-2 times per month....5-6 sets, and then move to incline, flys, pullovers etc. I believe you have to keep your upper body balanced as a bodybuilder to continue benching. Unless you develop rotator cuff impingment, osteolysis of the distal clavicle, or have pre-existing shoulder injury/instability, I believe it is a very solid part of maintaining chest mass and development.

Flat bench press is a great exercise. Too many people are trying to join the bandwagon and say otherwise.

Being a past power lifter of 20 years i have had my own share of injury's .
Now my training is cycled ,i might only heavy bench for 3 months then the remaining months to other exercises.......
I like to use the barbell bench press in the middle of my chest routine,that way the ego can go out the door and the gains are better.

bench

I'm 60 years old and still flat barbell bench.I go lighter now and i go heavy by doing dumbell flat.Seems to be working i still look good, people can't believe how old i am

I'm 60 years old and still flat barbell bench.I go lighter now and i go heavy by doing dumbell flat.Seems to be working i still look good, people can't believe how old i am

Pix?

I tore a pec 6 years ago (partial) flat benching, it caused a gap I really regret (sorry ortho I went to said there would be no visible difference). So until about 2 months ago I did only lighter machines, dips and cables. Then a buddy of mine, heavily into RAW natural bench press, via Westside methodolgy, got me back into into it a little. The form they stress takes focus off the pecs and delts, relying on tricep strength.
So I've been trying this out, had a speed day with incline bands last friday, and about the 8th set of 3 fast reps, I felt a light pop, and pain near the last tear, so I racked it. It didnt bruise and swell like last time, but pain, and the gap created from the first tear seems to be larger, and whatever is left in the gap is mushy / detached. Going back to the ortho Thursday to see what happened. Hopefully the old tear broke loose and he can fix it, or make it better some.

Since I hit my thirties, I do not even attempt to drop below 6 reps with flat bench. I tend to pre-exhaust my chest with cable and flyes for 6-8 sets before I move over to incline dumbell and dips. Bench is the end, and I typically do pause on the bottom reps to really get a burn.

Only injuries I have had were when I reversed the order and benched right away. Racking and re-racking the weights caused some impingement issues on my shoulders.

I love bench.

5'6" @ 200lbs I benched 405 for a double raw ... gym reps ... no pause ... but touched my chest.

I agree with a few others who mentioned focusing on balancing. I do my back/chest/delts together and I focus a lot on my lats and traps.

Lately I have been using this instead of the flat bench press and I like it how the handles come close together towards the end of the movement. Definitely makes me feel a better contraction in my pecs. Its the hammer strenght iso lateral bench press.

Attachments

• CS-HSPL_ILBP-hero.jpg
    CS-HSPL_ILBP-hero.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 59

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member