advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

When your local gym opens...will you go?

While we don’t know how much viral load it takes to infect the average person, have any of you seen the model of what one sneeze or cough does when the virus is instantly vaporized and spread throughout the air? The model they showed online the other day was in a grocery store. One cough. One single cough vaporized and spread the virus in a 200 square-foot radius and three aisles over in a grocery store. Now that doesn’t mean three aisles over there would be enough of the virus to infect the average person because they simply don’t know. But it’s just a scary thought. People are breathing hard at the gym. If anyone in that gym is infected, you’re going to breathe infected air. There’s no way around it.

With that mindset you better wear a mask the rest of your life. 24/7 year round.

With that mindset you better wear a mask the rest of your life. 24/7 year round.
Not me, I was just simply stating facts about how this virus is airborne and vaporizers and the vast area can cover quickly. Me personally? I’m just trying to hold out for a couple more months until they have a solid treatment protocol in place. Not a vaccine as I won’t take any vaccine, but just a viable treatment, and then? I’m going to go out and build some natural immunity to it and catch it. Or just not worry about it. I’m pretty damn healthy so I’d probably be one of the people who gets it and would barely notice, but at least by then there would be a better protocol in place for how they treat it. There’s no escaping this virus, I hope everyone realizes that. Eventually were all going to catch it. That’s just a fact! I feel super bad for fragile older people. It’s like there’s a monster lurking out there and there’s no way for them to escape it unless they stay in their house for literally probably the next several years.

It is very depressing to think about, but I doubt we will ever get back to where we were with the way gyms operate. They will have to limit the number of customers allowed in at any one time. As a result, most gyms will go out of business. Generally speaking, owning a gym is not very lucrative. Most gyms just "get by." Limiting their clients (drastically) will crush them. And it is sad. I met many of my closest friends through the gym. Dated girls, worked in gyms, and gym life has helped define who I am. Here is a related story.

I, too, doubt that things will go back to the way they used to be anytime soon. At least not until there's a vaccine or a treatment that works in 99% of cases. Working out with a mask is going to suck, having to reserve time slots is going to suck, having to limit your time so the next person can come in is going to suck, whatever else they're gonna come up with is going to suck, too, but nothing is going to be as bad as the current situation with no gym at all. Bracing for the announcement of a timetable for reopenings of certain things, including "sports" on May 6 here. I hope that includes gyms and other venues for regular people, not just professional sports.

Not me, I was just simply stating facts about how this virus is airborne and vaporizers and the vast area can cover quickly. Me personally? I’m just trying to hold out for a couple more months until they have a solid treatment protocol in place. Not a vaccine as I won’t take any vaccine, but just a viable treatment, and then? I’m going to go out and build some natural immunity to it and catch it. Or just not worry about it. I’m pretty damn healthy so I’d probably be one of the people who gets it and would barely notice, but at least by then there would be a better protocol in place for how they treat it. There’s no escaping this virus, I hope everyone realizes that. Eventually were all going to catch it. That’s just a fact! I feel super bad for fragile older people. It’s like there’s a monster lurking out there and there’s no way for them to escape it unless they stay in their house for literally probably the next several years.
I don't really think that everyone is going to get the virus. If you look at the seasonal flu, does everyone eventually get that? Probably not. We have many guys on here claiming they never get the flu and don't get a vaccine. I can't speak from personal experience because I always get the vaccine and never get the flu.

Statistical speaking, most never get the flu. From the CDC:

"How Many People Get Sick with Flu Every Year?
A 2018 CDC study published in Clinical Infectious Diseasesexternal icon looked at the percentage of the U.S. population who were sickened by flu using two different methods and compared the findings. Both methods had similar findings, which suggested that on average, about 8% of the U.S. population gets sick from flu each season, with a range of between 3% and 11%, depending on the season."

We don't know the percentage that have Covid, but should know later. It could be higher than that, but its a bit insane to assume that it's 100% when at most the flu is 11%

Not sure i can believe the percentages on the flu. I have had the flu and never go to the doctor. Many of my coworkers do the same. How could anyone get a accurate percentage when lots of people do not go to the doctor. In fact I only use my doctor for my trt needs.

From the CDC :

What methods are used to estimate the number of influenza illnesses and medical visits in the U.S.?
The numbers of influenza illnesses were estimated from hospitalizations based on how many illnesses there are for every hospitalization, which was measured previously (5).

Some people with influenza will seek medical care, while others will not. CDC estimates the number of people who sought medical care for influenza using data from the 2010 Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance Survey, which asked people whether they did or did not seek medical care for an influenza-like illness in the prior influenza season (6).

Every estimation method has a % error, but something like this can't be off by a factor of 10X.

I don't really think that everyone is going to get the virus. If you look at the seasonal flu, does everyone eventually get that? Probably not. We have many guys on here claiming they never get the flu and don't get a vaccine. I can't speak from personal experience because I always get the vaccine and never get the flu.

Statistical speaking, most never get the flu. From the CDC:

"How Many People Get Sick with Flu Every Year?
A 2018 CDC study published in Clinical Infectious Diseasesexternal icon looked at the percentage of the U.S. population who were sickened by flu using two different methods and compared the findings. Both methods had similar findings, which suggested that on average, about 8% of the U.S. population gets sick from flu each season, with a range of between 3% and 11%, depending on the season."

We don't know the percentage that have Covid, but should know later. It could be higher than that, but its a bit insane to assume that it's 100% when at most the flu is 11%
But see here’s the thing that all the experts are saying. This is a new virus strain that will mutate and change from season to season but it’s here to stay like the flu. All of us have had the flu in our lifetime at some point. There’s different strains of it that come around during the season. This is a new virus type. Basically what I’m saying is will have the flu, the common cold, and now this that will circulate the globe each season. So until you have immunity to it, which even that is that question right now, you’re probably going to catch it. Maybe not this year, maybe not next, maybe five years from now, who knows but you’re going to get it. It’s not gonna go away.

Scariest thing about this whole virus to me, is the fact that people seem to not be able to get rid of it. They’re testing positive for 3-4 months later and having a resurgence of symptoms. I mean is this like HIV Were you initially get really sick from it when you first catch it and then it kind of lays dormant for a while in your system while it reproduces and then reeks havoc later? Who knows at this point. All bets are off if when you catch this virus your body is unable to completely deal with it. That’s a scary proposition.

But see here’s the thing that all the experts are saying. This is a new virus strain that will mutate and change from season to season but it’s here to stay like the flu. All of us have had the flu in our lifetime at some point. There’s different strains of it that come around during the season. This is a new virus type. Basically what I’m saying is will have the flu, the common cold, and now this that will circulate the globe each season. So until you have immunity to it, which even that is that question right now, you’re probably going to catch it. Maybe not this year, maybe not next, maybe five years from now, who knows but you’re going to get it. It’s not gonna go away.

Scariest thing about this whole virus to me, is the fact that people seem to not be able to get rid of it. They’re testing positive for 3-4 months later and having a resurgence of symptoms. I mean is this like HIV Were you initially get really sick from it when you first catch it and then it kind of lays dormant for a while in your system while it reproduces and then reeks havoc later? Who knows at this point. All bets are off if when you catch this virus your body is unable to completely deal with it. That’s a scary proposition.

Actually from what I understand, they are not sure if it will mutate like the flu from season to season. They think that due to the structure, it MAY be more difficult to mutate significantly enough from season to season. I don't think they really know conclusively either way yet.

I think gyms where I am may open up late may?, would be nice. I have enjoyed the working out at home and actually see a good use for it, but will be nice to go to gym also. I think for me a blend of both will be good. So yes I will go as long as wife food with it, but not to the same extent as before. Not because of fear of getting the virus, just enjoy the difference of doing body weight stuff and using kids bunk bed and sheet to do stuff. Sounds lame but is true. I don’t really want to work out in plastic gloves and mask though to be honest. Don’t care about making appointment etc, my gym is not that crowded to begin with so that won’t be a problem. Plus it is an older clientele so I have a feeling there may be some who used to go who won’t be showing up as soon as it opens.

Actually from what I understand, they are not sure if it will mutate like the flu from season to season. They think that due to the structure, it MAY be more difficult to mutate significantly enough from season to season. I don't think they really know conclusively either way yet.
Yes, I saw a respected doctor on the news saying that we don't know if it will mutate and that it is believed to be less likely to due to its structure.

Don’t care about making appointment etc, my gym is not that crowded to begin with so that won’t be a problem. Plus it is an older clientele so I have a feeling there may be some who used to go who won’t be showing up as soon as it opens.
You make a good point. I go late morning or early afternoon at mine when all that is there is retired people and the average age is probably about 70 or more. Im thinking a lot of those folks may not come. its never crowded then either. Maybe Ill be able to go back sooner than I thought. Ohio hasn't opened gyms yet though.

Yea again don't think it's a good idea for me. Want to be sure there is a vaccine available. I'm always getting the flu or chronic Bronchitis about every year or so. thing is even if you go during an uncrowded time of the day, handling the equipment is another issue.

For years been wanting to buy my own equipment anyway. too many assholes at my gym.

I will add, I live in a big city with great gyms. But being trapped in my house and only have 1 medicine ball, some resistance bands, and bodyweight exercises is making me think of moving to the burbs where I could have my own basement or garage type gym. The thought of gyms not returning to normal, after idk 6-12 months, is a sad one. Hopefully that is not what happens but we will see.

If gyms don't return to normal relatively quickly, they'll go out of business. They're going to have to cut dues when they reopen given all the limitations on occupancy, time limits, etc., and they'll already have lost memberships in the interim.

Allowing only a certain amount of people in a gym at the same time and gyms won't last.
I, too, doubt that things will go back to the way they used to be anytime soon. At least not until there's a vaccine or a treatment that works in 99% of cases. Working out with a mask is going to suck, having to reserve time slots is going to suck, having to limit your time so the next person can come in is going to suck, whatever else they're gonna come up with is going to suck, too, but nothing is going to be as bad as the current situation with no gym at all. Bracing for the announcement of a timetable for reopenings of certain things, including "sports" on May 6 here. I hope that includes gyms and other venues for regular people, not just professional sports.

Working out with a mask on? No thanks. Come on! Anybody who ACTUALLY works out can't work out with a N-95 on, you'd probably pass out. What you're suggesting just doesn't seem fun at all. Actually, yes, I'd rather have no gym at all. I'd rather just work out at home if that's how things are going to be.

If gyms don't return to normal relatively quickly, they'll go out of business. They're going to have to cut dues when they reopen given all the limitations on occupancy, time limits, etc., and they'll already have lost memberships in the interim.
The one my wife goes to is all group classes only. A bunch of people all in one big room mostly. He is in the middle of building a brand new facility now too, new construction. its going to be hard on him for sure.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
MindMuscle88
NapsGear