advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Where do most people fail at when trying to put on the maximum amount of muscle?

Biggest by far: Far to great a reliance on drugs.

Also, little or no recovery time. Remember you grow and get stronger outside the gym, not in it.

Bigheinz said once that "motivation can be your worst enemy".

I agree with that. People are so overly motivated that they push themselves right into overtraining, injuries, drugs, and the fall flat on their face and cry the blues when they can't train for 6 months dues to hamstring tear of a torn bicep. Motivation is great but your motivation can exceed your body's limitations - know what that point is.

Great reading these posts in this thread. I find myself making some of these mistakes. I definitely need more rest and massages, etc... downtime.

don't forget LACK of motivation. everybody 'wants' to have a certain body, but many are unwilling to do what it takes to get there. society is geared towards instant gratification. building slabs of muscle takes years. the of a lack of motivation to train and eat properly also promotes what ouch said about too much reliance on drugs. people think you can pop a few pills and be instant arnold

I was talking to my youger brother about exactly this today. We both felt a little burned out. Been training hard, diet for a long time, and summer is almost over.

I think it's 90% mental. Main thing is to stay interested and focused.

That being said:

1. losing site of your goals.

2. Losing interest in attaining those goals.

3. Not making goals, short and long term. In order to succeed at your plan, you must have one first.

Once you reach one goal, set another. Keep track of progress, whether it's with photos or training logs for poundages.

Of course everything else as mentioned previously as in diet, and different training methods, etc. have to be in place.

A lot of my success in everything I do, not just training I owe to meditation and prayer (sorry if that's politically incorrect)

JMO

DB

Last edited:
don't forget LACK of motivation. everybody 'wants' to have a certain body, but many are unwilling to do what it takes to get there. society is geared towards instant gratification. building slabs of muscle takes years. the of a lack of motivation to train and eat properly also promotes what ouch said about too much reliance on drugs. people think you can pop a few pills and be instant arnold
Well I'm not talking about those guys. When I talk to you folks I assume you are as I am. Motivated, dedicated, etc. Too much motivation can be a bad thing. Like you said, slabs of muscle takes time. Motivating yourself beyond your physical ability (anyone's physical ability) is dangerous.

It's a given that any lack of motivation will mean you're going nowhere here.

Biggest by far: Far to great a reliance on drugs.

Also, little or no recovery time. Remember you grow and get stronger outside the gym, not in it.

Bigheinz said once that "motivation can be your worst enemy".

I agree with that. People are so overly motivated that they push themselves right into overtraining, injuries, drugs, and the fall flat on their face and cry the blues when they can't train for 6 months dues to hamstring tear of a torn bicep. Motivation is great but your motivation can exceed your body's limitations - know what that point is.

Great reading these posts in this thread. I find myself making some of these mistakes. I definitely need more rest and massages, etc... downtime.

OTH i think your post is right on.

I believe most fail NOT doing anything right after a contest...This being the PRIME time for gaining mass as your body is READY to grow like a weed. I have seen MANY guys not lift for 3-4 weeks post contest. I made my abolute BEST gains ever the first month after winning the open welter's last year... Gained nearly 30 lbs in 8 weeks and kept my abs :D

I've been thinking about this lately as I am trying to put on the most amount of muscle in the shortest time and thought I would get u guys opinion on where people fail the most at when trying to accomplish this.

If your even 1 calorie short on any given day, of what yur body needs to grow....you will not grow. Bottom line. Pound the Food, bang the iron, get plenty of sleep.

I could give my two cents... but I prefer to quote Dante
Because bodybuilders have obsessive compulsive personalities and can never think in the following terms:

a)Dieting down could never be as simple as keeping a semblance of what made that muscle mass (protein wise) in the diet and thinking "green" (replacing carbohydrates at key times with with spinach, asparagus, broccolli) and filling up hunger pangs with leafage/salads......all the while increasing energy expenditure thru cardio and supplements

Nope, Joe Bodybuilder goes to hell in a handbasket and chucks everything that made him that actual muscle mass and starts dieting on a tuna fish and rice cake diet, disengrates, loses gobs of precious muscle mass, falls off the wagon and cheats......and pretty much destroys what he made in the offseason.

b) Training couldnt be as simple as the thought process of "ok what have the most massive bodybuilders of the last 20 years done to develop that muscle mass?" "What was a common theme?" If you remove the Ultra genetically elite from the equation who could grow off of lifting a garbage can and whose genetics are 10x more than the average bodybuilder (Dillett, Wheeler)......Hmmmm it seems the ultra massive were all extremely powerful (Yates, Coleman, Francois, Kovacs, Dennis James, Chris Cormier) and they accomplished that thru the years. We all know they didnt start out inclining 405lbs so they were all progressive in their training.....using heavier and heavier poundages (safely) over the years.....thats it "progression X time"

Nope not for Joe Bodybuilder-----there has got to be a secret. There must be some kind of hidden holy grail training that is going to transfer them into superstar status within 6 months.....they just got to find out what it is. So they jump from training routine to training routine (sometimes monthly) buying into the latest big words a bodybuilder author who has never made it over 172lbs can throw at them from his thesaurus. Supersets, Drop sets, Giant sets, psycho training, Wild Monkey Balls training, East Hungarian Ballistic pre World War II training....there has got to be a secret! Maybe if I train for 8 hours! Maybe if i start out with a regular weight and keep doing 85 drop sets until im lifting with the pink 2.5 lb dumbells before dropping them, that will be the key! Whats Flex magazine say this month, I'll switch from what I was doing from Flex magazine LAST month!

c) Drugs, It couldnt be as simple as everyone else out there who starts out using drugs....the slow journey from 400mg testosterone and 200mg of some anabolic compound a week with small jumps upward when you hit plateaus. How many pro bodybuilders have good buddies they trained with during their development of physique years? Buddies doing the exact same drugs as themselves. Maybe that buddy was even getting the drugs for that pro and knew exactly what he was doing. How come all those friends of pro bodybuilders got dwarfed in a short time period? How come all those friends of pro bodybuilders who were doing the same stuff never got their pro cards, never even won their state show, never even won a small show and maybe werent even in the top 5 biggest guys in that gym? Could it have been bodybuilding genetics, genetic response to drugs and training and not some magical drug stack?

Nope Joe Bodybuilder cant have that. Its not fair for him to think himself as a lesser mortal than others. He cannot deal with the fact that MOM and POP robbed him of incredible genetics that can do a set of halfass barbell curls and grow 1/2 inch. He has to make it right in his head. And he does that by going by the notion that every single pro bodybuilder (or hell anyone who is bigger than him) is "loaded to the gills", and is using magical compounds he doesnt know about. If only he too could get ahold of those magical compounds, then he would reap the glory of massiveness!

****Dante: When as an example I train a gigantic offseason pro a couple years back and he is 335lbs...and he confides in me "Dante I only use 750mg of test a week, and even that makes me break out so I never go over that...I hate breaking out! Went to 1000 once and it was awful so I stay at 750" "I am not loaded with money, things are tight so I use 400mg of deca in the offseason with it, I have never used GH, cant afford it...like I said things are really tight financially"

and then I see guys on these boards with these mega volume stacks of 10 different compounds including IGF, MGF, insulin, GH, and some rare testosterone blend from Portugal (its got to be the secret!).....all the while weighing 208 lbs

you kind of get a different perspective on things.

d) Gaining weight could never be as easy as finding a healthy productive diet that works for you (bodybuilders always fall into modes when eating....if you give them a couple rules to abide by, within a couple weeks they will be eating the same things usually monday thru friday (workdays) and a little bit differently on weekends. But mark it down bodybuilders are creatures of habit and will probably be eating the same things every single day. So to keep it simple to make them gain weight you just add where things need to be added. Two tablespoons of all natural peanut butter here, 1 tablespoon of olive oil there, one more scoop of waxy maize or protein powder there. It really doesnt take much to get a guy gaining again when he plateaus....just a little addition here and there is all it takes especially at key meals.

Nope Joe Bodybuilder wont have that. Whats his thoughts? "I am obsessive compulsive and im chucking my regular offseason diet (which could be made golden with just a few tweaks) and I'll eat 8000-10,000 calories instead!!!!" So Joe bodybuilder instead of using deductive reasoning and using a little scotch tape to fix problems, takes a sledgehammer to it and tries to put it back together with superglue, dirt and spit. Eight months later Joe bodybuilder is obese, gained 5lbs of fat to every 1/2lb of muscle he put on and is miserable. In which he comes out on a message board and blames not only the diet (no he wont say "Im an idiot" he will blame the diet) but also say its because he isnt on the magical stack the pro's are on.....otherwise it would of worked.

And last but not least....

I could write 8 pages on this right now.....but in simpliest terms IMO

a) you should never do anything drastic to a diet that has worked for you....slight adjustments is all that is needed (see below)

b) you should be weighing in on the same scale with nothing but your underwear on, right out of bed at the same time, on the same day, every 2 weeks or once a month......and that will let you decide those adjustments

c) the exact diet that got you from 200 to 220 is not going to get you to 250 (amount wise) but vice versa if your 220 and eat like someone who is 300 with no cardio done, no fat burning supplements done, and no carb cycling....welcome to a fat 250

d) you always want to look at yourself first thing in the morning after that nighttime fast so the details of "bloated", stomach full from eating, etc etc are minute at best....and it can give you a generalized idea of what you are looking like. Alot of my trainees I have helped look like a million bucks upon arising and salt loaded waterlogged, full stomached, bodybuilders the rest of the day....but what they look like upon arising is truly them (the rest of the day is just methodology to the madness of trying to get them larger)

e) sometimes the road to 250 from 230 is as simple as 2 tablespoons of all natural peanut butter here, an extra scoop of protein powder there, and another pack oatmeal postworkout and continued adjustments like that, yet bodybuilders get that (obsessive compulsive crazyness) going again and throw what they are currently doing in the toilet....and replace that with some 8500 calorie bulk diet they read about. I dont think there is an endeavor on earth that is overanalyzed until you are absolutely bass ackwards as much as this one

Dr Scott Connely was interviewed recently and asked what is the SINGLE biggest mistake bodybuilders make that keeps them from growing.
Remember, this guy has probably researched what makes muscle grow more than just about anyone in the medical and sports science field. He also sold MetRx for enough that he probably never has to work again.
He said that in his research studies bodybuilders GROSSLY underestimate the amount of protein they are consuming. He researched bodybuilders and kept track of everything including what they claimed they were consuming daily. When the exact foods were written down he found that a HUGE percentage of them were way under what they claimed for total protein consumption. Guys claiming 400 grams a day were actually closer to 200 grams:eek: And this was in something like 90% of the cases??? When the diet was corrected to 200 grams food protein and 200 grams potein shakes the growth started again at a rapid pace.

you got to love the writings of Dante.
"Nope Joe Bodybuilder wont have that. Whats his thoughts? "I am obsessive compulsive and im chucking my regular offseason diet (which could be made golden with just a few tweaks) and I'll eat 8000-10,000 calories instead!!!!"

I read that 3 times and im still chuckling to myself.:D

not addressing the proper training and nutrition for your outside lifestyle.. if you work at a manual job 40 hours a week and then try and do training that is not suited for the stress you body has already been through at your job, followed by lack of food or calories ect.. fail.. one has to be honest about what is going on in your life and adjust you goals/training to that.. one must train at a style that allows one to be consistant and progress.. not train at alevel that is not coherant for the life outside of bodybuilding.. adjust training and nutrition to work for you based on outside stimulus..
i had guys at my gyn who worked manual labor jobs in the hot sun 50 hours a week and then would come in and train for two hours and can not understand why it is not working.. " well, everyone else gains on it.. why not me?".. well, do the math.. if you had a desk job that allowed for eating when scheduled, not stressing the body with lifting outside training, and was able to sit and relax a bit, then thattraining may work for you.. but, if you are burning excessive calories on your job and not replacing them , not eating properly and are tired from you work schedule then you are not going to make good gains on the "avwerage" routine.. once i convinced them tio train every other day, do very low volume and train heavy and get the hell out and eat, the progressed quickly even with hard jobs.. make it work for you not against you.. know your limitations and work wth them..:cool:

I work Construction here in the Hearland, and I cant agree with you more. I have to take extra meals with me all the time....and make the workouts short sweet and to the point.

I've been thinking about this lately as I am trying to put on the most amount of muscle in the shortest time and thought I would get u guys opinion on where people fail the most at when trying to accomplish this.

Not listening to the feedback their body gives them

Well I'm not talking about those guys. When I talk to you folks I assume you are as I am. Motivated, dedicated, etc. Too much motivation can be a bad thing. Like you said, slabs of muscle takes time. Motivating yourself beyond your physical ability (anyone's physical ability) is dangerous.

It's a given that any lack of motivation will mean you're going nowhere here.

If you are over motivated you will soon become unmotivated because you don't see progress fast enough

bump - good thread

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Deecrume