advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Where has conditioning gone in contests????

kscowboy

Kilo Klub Member / Board Supporter
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Board Supporter
I have spent the evening looking at contest photos on various sites at photos from every contest from the Jr Nats to the Lone Star Classic, and it seems like the RIPPED TO SHREADS look has gone to the way side. Compare the contestants of the late 80's and especially the 90's, to the contestants today. I will state this.......I AM PERSONALLY NO WHERE NEAR AS GOOD AS THE LAST PLACE GUY......this is solely an observation statement. But gone are the striated glutes of JJ Marsh, the abs of Flex, the chest striations of Dennis Newman, the guitar string hams of Levrone............On and On.

Also proportion and symmetry is so far forgotten its a shame. You can tell the guy that hates the stair climber, dieting until you go insane, and especially LEG DAY!!!!!!!!

THIS IS NOT WHAT FUCKING BODY BUILDING IS!!!!!!!!! BODYBUILDING MAKES YOU SHIT YOUR PANTS WHEN YOU SEE IT. Most of todays pics make me shake my head (Once again i am no better than the last place guy...Observation only!!

I will say that none of this applies to Shelby or Bboy. Their pics are about the only ones i looked at that reminded me of the good old days!!

Ks approved

I guess I kinda disagree with you. Bodybuilding to me is not about striated glutes and hammies. That is a dieting contest that you are talking about. A bodybuilder should be full, and large with MUSCLE. Yes conditioning is important, but to me should come after size shape and symmetry.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I beleive a healthy balance is what kscowboy is talking about, after all what is striated muscle without size and fullness?

I have spent the evening looking at contest photos on various sites at photos from every contest from the Jr Nats to the Lone Star Classic, and it seems like the RIPPED TO SHREADS look has gone to the way side. Compare the contestants of the late 80's and especially the 90's, to the contestants today. I will state this.......I AM PERSONALLY NO WHERE NEAR AS GOOD AS THE LAST PLACE GUY......this is solely an observation statement. But gone are the striated glutes of JJ Marsh, the abs of Flex, the chest striations of Dennis Newman, the guitar string hams of Levrone............On and On.

Also proportion and symmetry is so far forgotten its a shame. You can tell the guy that hates the stair climber, dieting until you go insane, and especially LEG DAY!!!!!!!!

THIS IS NOT WHAT FUCKING BODY BUILDING IS!!!!!!!!! BODYBUILDING MAKES YOU SHIT YOUR PANTS WHEN YOU SEE IT. Most of todays pics make me shake my head (Once again i am no better than the last place guy...Observation only!!

I will say that none of this applies to Shelby or Bboy. Their pics are about the only ones i looked at that reminded me of the good old days!!

Ks approved

"Where has conditioning gone in contests????"....Straight down the shitter

Insulin in, conditioning out

Im not a body builder, but isn't it acutely dangerous to take the drugs necessary to reach that shredded look? I thought after Andre Munzor (spelling?) basically killed himself the rules of the game were changed for safety?

Last edited:
I went to a comp a few weeks back and 3/4 of the show had chicken legs and no back. I guess the show was judged on chest shoulders and abs lol. I decided if that's the "competition" then I'm going to get busy and compete next year.:D

You'd have to show me an example. everyone who makes it to Jr Nat is pretty exceptional IMO

Sent from my Eris ADR6200 using Tapatalk

Take a look at Kevin Jordan, the JR NATS overall winner, that too me is bodybuilding and he will only get better when he does become pro! I have seen people who have minimal muscle who are conditioned...you need muscle, symmetry, conditioning, and shape while balancing this all out! Or at least creating that illusion onstage.

Take a look at Kevin Jordan, the JR NATS overall winner, that too me is bodybuilding and he will only get better when he does become pro! I have seen people who have minimal muscle who are conditioned...you need muscle, symmetry, conditioning, and shape while balancing this all out! Or at least creating that illusion onstage.

exactly.

and each class is different but they are ALL looking for a healthy balance of great conditioning with awesome shape, lines and muscle. Jordan had all of those.

it sucks because most competitors feel like they have to choos: look like a holocaust victim or look full

look over at the NABBA guys, they don't look to shaby for 40 year olds! the pro's look ok as well.........
**broken link removed**

OK, let's discuss a few things..

First of all, there is a big differerence between being SHREDDED and DEHYDRATED. Modern bodybuilders are LESS LEAN but more DEHYDRATED than ever before. I don't give a shit if you have striated glutes, if you have no size, symmertry, or proportion..

Having said that, Shelby Starnes is a prime example. Shelby has NO BICEPS--literally--just flat. He also has very small triceps and pecs. He does have a great lower body, and his conditioning is A+, but he doesn't have the overall balance of size, symmetry, and proportion that should win bodybuilding shows..

wow you guys are calling him "future pro" already??? damn who did he beat?? at least last years winner stood up there and beat a freakazoid dusty hanshaw, and i didn't hear anyone calling him "future pro"....LOL holy shit!! :eek: lets let the guy get his feet wet in some pro qualifiers then lets give him nicknames and titles ;)

By European standards those guys are out of shape. Does it mean they are better? Hell no.

You wanna know dirty little secret? Dozens of European competitors retired due to kidney problems. This doesn't seem the problem anymore in USA from what I see on the boards. Everyone is concerned with blood pressure, lipids and so on but I do not see people bitching about how close they were to kidney failure during last prep which is so fucking common here it amazes me.

wow you guys are calling him "future pro" already??? damn who did he beat?? at least last years winner stood up there and beat a freakazoid dusty hanshaw, and i didn't hear anyone calling him "future pro"....LOL holy shit!! :eek: lets let the guy get his feet wet in some pro qualifiers then lets give him nicknames and titles ;)

Brad, when I talked to Kevin face to face years ago at the Mayhem, you could see something about his physique, just like we see the pro physique in yours and Dusty has what it takes too, but you are right he has to prove it first in some pro qualifiers, so without a doubt this was a stepping stone. He knows that, I know that, but with his focus I could see that happening. Just like with your focus and Dusty's I can see that happening, becoming a pro that is:headbang:

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
mp18201
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131