over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Whey Protein raises Hematocrit

It's been well established that acute bouts of aerobic exercise alters hematological values, thus increasing RBC and indices.

No different than this weak study by pulling blood samples immediately after these bouts of exercise.

Sadly people buy into nonsense like this.

Nothuman, read that text I sent you hours before this thread was generated.

Here's the text I sent:

Humm. I don't see that happening, hematologically it wouldn't.

The issue arises with misinterpretations when accessing blood values, such as HH for example, there's such a wide variable that shift the osmotic value.

If you had a hemocue meter to check your hemoglobin levels, and you checked it under normal breathing conditions. It would give you "x" reading. If you could check your carboxyhemoglobin and deoxyhemoglobin levels, it would give you "y" reading.

Now, hyperventilate for 15 minutes, basically mimicking a HIIT session. Check it again within 5 minutes or so and I promise you'll see a large variance in all 3 readings.

This is just one of many examples.

Variables, variables, variables.

I just don't buy into it.

Try it and find out :)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...EBiIQFggqMAA&usg=AOvVaw2ZbNXXpbsx3XitK15vNAXn

Doctors take every chance to blame health supps for all your illnesses or blood test abnormalities in my experience.

No shit!

Doctors will tell you too stay away from Whole eggs, quality beef.

Best protein source, so nutriious.

The sickness show up when you eat food devoid of nutrition. Soda,Grains,Bread,pasta,Fruit juice. Shitty food.

Load up on whole eggs daily, beef, salmon, Eat fruits and vegetables daily and drink water. Forcefeed whole eggs hardboiled.

No shit!

Doctors will tell you too stay away from Whole eggs, quality beef.

Best protein source, so nutriious.

The sickness show up when you eat food devoid of nutrition. Soda,Grains,Bread,pasta,Fruit juice. Shitty food.

Load up on whole eggs daily, beef, salmon, Eat fruits and vegetables daily and drink water. Forcefeed whole eggs hardboiled.
I had a doc tell me eating eggs daily will kill you... quack quack quack quack!! :D

I had a doc tell me eating eggs daily will kill you... quack quack quack quack!! :D

A hematologist told me the other day that I need to come off testosterone or I will have problems later in life. I laughed in his face and told him he should do more research. I just wasn't in the mood for ignorance that day.

My HCT stays around 47 / 48 with regular blood donations.

Most recently it jumped in seven weeks from 47 to 55, (at 56 they won’t take it), while using whey isolate.

Totally surprised me and we started talking about what had changed in my diet. She mentioned whey protein and to look for its iron %. It’s 0% RDA iron, but I can’t think of anything else.

A quick Google shows that although it’s not the iron content, it will raise the count. I’ll go back in a month and see what it’s dropped to.

Anyone want a good deal on a partially used tub of isolate,.....lol.

I was able to get the phlebotomist to check my hematocrit today. Four weeks later with no change in diet it’s down from 55 to 53. The only change was to drop the isolate and vitamin C. Apparently C, while not itself raising iron levels itself, does aid in the absorption of iron.

The protein is Optimum isolate which shows zero % iron content. Maybe I’ve got some type of freak disposition where my system reacts to whey in an unusual way, who knows.

Once my crit drops back to 47 - 48, I’ll start the whey again to double check and see how the RBC’s react.

I was able to get the phlebotomist to check my hematocrit today. Four weeks later with no change in diet it’s down from 55 to 53. The only change was to drop the isolate and vitamin C. Apparently C, while not itself raising iron levels itself, does aid in the absorption of iron.

The protein is Optimum isolate which shows zero % iron content. Maybe I’ve got some type of freak disposition where my system reacts to whey in an unusual way, who knows.

Once my crit drops back to 47 - 48, I’ll start the whey again to double check and see how the RBC’s react.
I'm guessing it's the vitamin c. It can aid your body in absorption of iron from your diet, whether or not it was taken directly with a source of iron. Food takes a while to digest, so even if you ate some red meat an hour or so prior, then took vitamin c, it would still increase absorption to some extent.

It's been well established that acute bouts of aerobic exercise alters hematological values, thus increasing RBC and indices.

No different than this weak study by pulling blood samples immediately after these bouts of exercise.

Sadly people buy into nonsense like this.

Nothuman, read that text I sent you hours before this thread was generated.

Here's the text I sent:

Humm. I don't see that happening, hematologically it wouldn't.

The issue arises with misinterpretations when accessing blood values, such as HH for example, there's such a wide variable that shift the osmotic value.

If you had a hemocue meter to check your hemoglobin levels, and you checked it under normal breathing conditions. It would give you "x" reading. If you could check your carboxyhemoglobin and deoxyhemoglobin levels, it would give you "y" reading.

Now, hyperventilate for 15 minutes, basically mimicking a HIIT session. Check it again within 5 minutes or so and I promise you'll see a large variance in all 3 readings.

This is just one of many examples.

Variables, variables, variables.

I just don't buy into it.

Try it and find out :)

It is a bit funny to me, but I remember reading and article back in 1987 that was in Muscle and Fitness. It talked about a study of people living in the Andes Mountains and how their hemoglobin was so high. I started thinking about endurance athletes and figured they probably have higher too. I was a junior in high school. My second year of Biology the teacher had us do a big project.

My project I decided would be studying hematocrit on athletes vs non athletes. I tested a bunch of swimmers, track and field, and basketball players as the athletes. I then tested kids that didn't do any athletics or exercise much at all. I did a measurement of their energy output on the bicycle too, max output in watts. I used an APPLE IIE to analyze it. I wasn't able to do a VO2 max of course because this was just a high school class. I used that max output to help classify how fit they were. I pricked their fingers and counted the red cells on the microscope using a grid. I was able to calculate the hematocrit that way. Funny because nowadays there is no way they would let kids handle other persons' blood like that. Things were so much more free back then!

I did all the data collecting then analyzed it by hand calculating with Chi Square and standard deviation etc. I found a significant difference in the hematocrit levels between the two groups. My hypothesis was true. I was pretty excited!

Talking about how things were more free back then, one of my friends tested the effects of testosterone on rat muscle. The teacher had bottles of what looked like test base in them. I think the student ended up putting it in water and making a sort of suspension. Not sure how he did it, but he used it. Forget his results. Just thinking though that no science teacher today is going to have testosterone sitting around for students to use. I taught biology and chem at a high school back in the late 90s and our school even had a fetus in the storage room we could show the class. I wonder if it is still there!?

Last edited:
It is a bit funny to me, but I remember reading and article back in 1987 that was in Muscle and Fitness. It talked about a study of people living in the Andes Mountains and how their hemoglobin was so high. I started thinking about endurance athletes and figured they probably have higher too. I was a junior in high school. My second year of Biology the teacher had us do a big project.

My project I decided would be studying hematocrit on athletes vs non athletes. I tested a bunch of swimmers, track and field, and basketball players as the athletes. I then tested kids that didn't do any athletics or exercise much at all. I did a measurement of their energy output on the bicycle too, max output in watts. I used an APPLE IIE to analyze it. I wasn't able to do a VO2 max of course because this was just a high school class. I used that max output to help classify how fit they were. I pricked their fingers and counted the red cells on the microscope using a grid. I was able to calculate the hematocrit that way. Funny because nowadays there is no way they would let kids handle other persons' blood like that. Things were so much more free back then!

I did all the data collecting then analyzed it by hand calculating with Chi Square and standard deviation etc. I found a significant difference in the hematocrit levels between the two groups. My hypothesis was true. I was pretty excited!

Talking about how things were more free back then, one of my friends tested the effects of testosterone on rat muscle. The teacher had bottles of what looked like test base in them. I think the student ended up putting it in water and making a sort of suspension. Not sure how he did it, but he used it. Forget his results. Just thinking though that no science teacher today is going to have testosterone sitting around for students to use. I taught biology and chem at a high school back in the late 90s and our school even had a fetus in the storage room we could show the class. I wonder if it is still there!?
Very cool stuff, Maldorf! Thanks for sharing.

I teach science and you're right, they certainly don't let us practice this types of experiments in our current curriculum. Things are so controlled by the district that there's relatively no more freedom in our planning. Still, it's a job I love, so I can't complain :).

Wait so the fitter ones had a higher hematocrit? I would expect the opposite

Very cool stuff, Maldorf! Thanks for sharing.

I teach science and you're right, they certainly don't let us practice this types of experiments in our current curriculum. Things are so controlled by the district that there's relatively no more freedom in our planning. Still, it's a job I love, so I can't complain :).

Yeah, so much now seems to be run by the schools curriculum and all the teachers in a department seem to have the same damn lessons. It is sad. I am glad I am out of teaching. More power to you if you like it now. Keep up the hard work, we need good teachers. I'm just an old dog and don't want to learn any new tricks!;)

Wait so the fitter ones had a higher hematocrit? I would expect the opposite

Yeah, in my study they did. I don't think that is necessarily the case for everyone though. My sample size wasn't very big, but the P value came out as significant in the stats.

Another study I just found online:

"We can also examine the data in another way: does endurance training alter an individual’s Hct? Looking at two subsets of the subjects will give insight into this question. We have a group of 6 very sedentary individuals, whose mean voluntary physical activity in the year preceding testing was 1.4 hours/week (and this includes activities such as gardening), and whose mean VO2max was 36 ml/min/kg. We also have a group of six well-trained (but not elite) cyclists, whose mean VO2max was 61 ml/min/kg (these are the sort of riders who are capable of winning 3rd-cat road races and local open time trials). None of the cyclists was altitude trained, and I consider them most unlikely to have had access to, or the desire to use, blood doping or boosting techniques. If training alters Hct, we might expect the cyclist group to have different values to the sedentaries. In fact, there was no difference between Hct in the two groups (p = .335). So chronic endurance training has not given the cyclist group a different Hct to the sedentary group. Their greater oxygen transport capacity is attributable primarily to a larger cardiac output – in other words, their hearts can pump more blood per unit time."

So that study found no difference. I would have to look at more studies. I really don't know for sure. Altitude though will affect it, that is proven.
Haematocrit: data from an exercise physiology lab and what they mean for our sport | Association of British Cycling Coaches

My HCT stays around 47 / 48 with regular blood donations.

Most recently it jumped in seven weeks from 47 to 55, (at 56 they won’t take it), while using whey isolate.

Totally surprised me and we started talking about what had changed in my diet. She mentioned whey protein and to look for its iron %. It’s 0% RDA iron, but I can’t think of anything else.

A quick Google shows that although it’s not the iron content, it will raise the count. I’ll go back in a month and see what it’s dropped to.

Anyone want a good deal on a partially used tub of isolate,.....lol.

HCT is now down to 50 with no changes other than ditching the whey and the “C”.

Last edited:
so when u drink lots of milk or eat cheese and yogurt and any/every dairy product containg whey protein, cottage cheese etc....
is that gonna give u lots more blood cells too?
what about casein?
what about....never mind. i got better things to do than read dumb shit.

so when u drink lots of milk or eat cheese and yogurt and any/every dairy product containg whey protein, cottage cheese etc....
is that gonna give u lots more blood cells too?
what about casein?
what about....never mind. i got better things to do than read dumb shit.
What?? No whey!

HCT is now down to 50 with no changes other than ditching the whey and the “C”.

I refuse to believe that whey will raise MY crit, I also wander did you eat any red meat around the C supplementation?

I've always loved whey and I do think the benefits far outweight the cons(even if there are any)

Last edited:
I refuse to believe that whey will raise MY crit, I also wander did you eat any red meat around the C supplementation?

I've always loved whey and I do think the benefits far outweight the cons(even if there are any)

Well, practically speaking, if it did significantly raise HCT then there would be a pharmaceutical company that would come out with a product using some form of it. Nothing there from what I know.

My wife's brother in law has been in the business now for about 25 years and where he works now they a whole department where people just look at old drugs and try to find new ways to use them, subtle changes to make so they can patent it and make money. Sometimes something as simple as looking at new populations to use the drugs on, like children. Just changing a drug from cis to trans can be enough sometimes. I bet those folks look at everything under the sun, trying to find ways to increase earnings. Right now one big thing they are working on is taking a proton pump inhibitor already in use and making it a dissolving tablet that you swallow and instead of going into the stomach it coats the esophagus to treat eosinophilic esophagitis.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws