YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Which guad exercises work best for chronic patellar tendinitis?

headtrainer

Registered
For those of you with chronic patellar tendinitis of the knees, which exercises have you found work best to prevent pain? I damaged my knees doing contact sports in my youth and I can no longer do certain leg movements (e.g., leg extensions) without experiencing a lot of pain & swelling. I also can’t train near failure on any leg movements or do below 12-15 reps or it will force me to take a 6 week lay off before training legs again. The meniscus in both of my knees looks great but my patellar tendons are very thick from having been partially torn so many times. I have advanced jumpers knee in both legs. I’ve read that having surgery to correct this problem is often not successful. Maybe someone on this forum can tell me otherwise. I’m sure I’m not the only one over the age of 50 fighting this battle. Any helpful advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

If it's just thick tight patellar tendon I would think that some ART and deep stretching would help loosen it up.

Before I let anyone cut on my anymore I get a second and third opinion from Dr that I have researched heavily.
Luckily we have an orthopedic local that always wants to try therapy of some sort before resulting to surgery.

Do it the right way if you have not already. I tore my right quad tendon 8 weeks ago. Rehab is a bitch!
Go see an orthopedic surgeon, not saying for surgery, but let him examine you and write some scripts for MRI and whatever he sees fit. Also he can refer you for serious Physical Therapists that can really help.
Go for pro help, like I said if you haven't already.

Straight leg raises and knee extension negatives. Stretch before and after.

Do it the right way if you have not already. I tore my right quad tendon 8 weeks ago. Rehab is a bitch!
Go see an orthopedic surgeon, not saying for surgery, but let him examine you and write some scripts for MRI and whatever he sees fit. Also he can refer you for serious Physical Therapists that can really help.
Go for pro help, like I said if you haven't already.
How did you tear your right quad tendon?

Try voodoo flossing your knees. Works wonders

How did you tear your right quad tendon?
I slipped on black ice in front of my friends house and fell down a flight of concrete stairs. Very hard trauma. My quads rolled up under my skin like a window shade. I also tore my left rotator cuff, 3 ribs, and badly, badly sprained both ankles. Should have been one day surgery, was in hospital 6 days. My right leg was like a marionette's that some one cut the strings. No fun, almost 9 weeks now. My Ortho says 100 recovery because he's the best LOL!

I slipped on black ice in front of my friends house and fell down a flight of concrete stairs. Very hard trauma. My quads rolled up under my skin like a window shade. I also tore my left rotator cuff, 3 ribs, and badly, badly sprained both ankles. Should have been one day surgery, was in hospital 6 days. My right leg was like a marionette's that some one cut the strings. No fun, almost 9 weeks now. My Ortho says 100 recovery because he's the best LOL!
Wow. Scary. Its crazy how things are fine one minute and then the next you feel as if you're fighting for your life. Glad you didn't suffer any neck or head injuries.

Your incident brings visions of that scene from the end of The Exorcist, where the priest falls down the long flight of concrete steps. We were talking about that scene on a thread here recently and the movie was on Showime last night.

PM me, I’m working with knees over toes guy (YouTube phenom)

For those of you with chronic patellar tendinitis of the knees, which exercises have you found work best to prevent pain? I damaged my knees doing contact sports in my youth and I can no longer do certain leg movements (e.g., leg extensions) without experiencing a lot of pain & swelling. I also can’t train near failure on any leg movements or do below 12-15 reps or it will force me to take a 6 week lay off before training legs again. The meniscus in both of my knees looks great but my patellar tendons are very thick from having been partially torn so many times. I have advanced jumpers knee in both legs. I’ve read that having surgery to correct this problem is often not successful. Maybe someone on this forum can tell me otherwise. I’m sure I’m not the only one over the age of 50 fighting this battle. Any helpful advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Look up "kneesovertoesguys" on instagram and youtube. Don't expect it to be a quick fix. It's a long rabbit hole to go down as far as prehab/rehab, but it's been well worth it for me. Basically he wants you to strengthen the position where your knees are in front of your toes, which culminates in a gradual progression to the "Atg split squat". If you can develop the positional strength and mobility to do this, ATG barbell squats will feel like nothing on your knees.

This is probably a good place to start learning:

SquatUniversity on youtube/instagram is a less in depth/exhaustive resource but has quality advice on knee rehab/training around knee injuries in a productive way.

if you have someone that does dry needling near you, they can help work on that also, and may know the impingements in the leg that may be causing the issue. i tweaked my quad tendon on warm up sets on a cybex hack a few months ago. got a few sessions in and took 2 weeks off. good to go. also daily stretches for the area wouldn't hurt.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131