YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Which muscle hold the sholders in place?

Jimbo

FOUNDING Member
Registered
Since over devloping the front deltoids, they have been pulling my sholders down in a hunched position and its causing back pain. Can someone tell me the muscle that I would have to tighter/strenghten to pull them back into place?

I will stop training the front delts since they are very well overdeveloped.

train your back and rear delts --less chest and front shoulder exercises

Your rounded shoulder appearance is generally caused by an
imbalance between three muscle groups; Serratus anterior, pecs (in the front) and Rhomboids in the rear. You need to strengthen the Rhomboids ( they pull the scapula closer to the spine.) To isolate this muscle, lie down (face down) on a bench, let your arms hang down, externally rotate your hands (turn the thumb up, palms forward) and raise out to the side. This is an isolation ex. All rowing exercises will use the Rhomboids as well, but in a compound way. Either way it's important because round shoulders close off the space under the Acromion and will eventually lead to shoulder impingment and fraying of the tendons and sub-acromial bursa. Hope it helps.

Last edited:

had the same problem caused my super spinatus to swell hurt like hell for 6 months. I did a lot of rotator cuff exercises. then really focused on my rear delts worked like a charm no more problems.

over develpment of the Peck (major) can cause the same problem. there are alot of different muscles that tie in to and have insertion
points in that area. But like said by colombony, you need to strengthen the posterior muscles. mainly the Rhomboids. but I'd probley go with the heavy compound movements like rows myself. isolation movement are good. but heavy compound movements are where your going to see your strength start to form. I'd also lay off the front delt for awile. you can put blood into it, but don't get crazy. you'll get enough stress from your chest workout to maintain what you've already got.
good luck and be safe.....

bigger....

I don't know if you are doing front raises but if you are I would stop it.

I believe MOST people get plenty of front shoulder work from benching and dont' need to do seperate front shoulder work.

That said, a lot of people neglect their rear delts a lot of the time! i find i dont have to do as much front delts at all, but as soon as i started hitting the rear delts hard, my overall body shape felt 10/10!

bigDave said:
That said, a lot of people neglect their rear delts a lot of the time! i find i dont have to do as much front delts at all, but as soon as i started hitting the rear delts hard, my overall body shape felt 10/10!

agreed, this is an old thread that I started and I was bombing my read delts on my last cycle and I do fell alot better, still got a ways to go back better then was!

Another exercise

I echo the comments r.e. strenthening the read delts and rhomboids. Also, the inferior (middle & lower) traps retract the shoulder girdle, so work can be done there.

A good exercise to isolate the rhomboids was suggested. I would also suggest doing "shrugs" in a horizontal plane, i.e., by pulling you shoulders straight back (arms pointing straight ahead at 90? with your torso). You can do these on a seated row (Hammer makes some good ones) or a T-bar row with chest support. (They can be done w/o chest support, but its more difficult to have a focused controlled movement.) Keeping you arms straight (slight bend at elbows - not locked out), simply pull your shoulder blades back and together. In your case, I would not try to have an extreme stretch in the movement (you are already unbalanced in that direction), but try to do the repetitions with a very short controlled mvmt. near the fully retracted (fully contracted) position.

Good luck. Oh, yeah - lay of the front delt work, too. 8^)

-Randy

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420