over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Which Protein is Better

xcelbeyond

The "Elder" Mod
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
OK, now I'm confused. Mr Magoo passed this link along to me **broken link removed** by Dr Eric Serrano. I'm still under the impression that you want to avoid whey protein concentrate for pre-contest as you'll want to avoid lactose.

Tell me what you think. Here it is:

RR: Well Eric, let's get right to it. I know you've been doing a lot of research into various proteins and have come up with some findings that we have not seen in any of the magazines.
Eric: Yes, Roger and you'll be glad to know that my research has given me further insight into why I have always intuitively recommended one of your protein powders, Muscle Provider. The reason Muscle Provider works is that it is not just one type of protein, but a blend of five different proteins. Each type of protein has a unique amino acid profile. Some proteins cause a greater insulin response than others. Some can be classified as anabolic while others are anti-catabolic. The egg protein, and whey concentrate in Muscle Provider are anabolic proteins, while the whey isolate works as an anti-catabolic one.

Anabolic proteins produce a lower insulin response. They should be used before training, especially if you are trying to lose stored fat. Anti-catabolic proteins should be used after training due to their heightened insulin response. If you are getting ready for a contest and are trying to shed bodyfat it's important that you do not consume a purely ion exchange or whey isolate product. These are what I classify as anti-catabolic proteins. Taken alone, they will have a heightened insulin response and will make it harder for you to lose stored fat.

Here is a list of the various types of proteins classified as either anabolic or anti-catabolic. Anabolic proteins do not cause a large increase in blood insulin levels while anti-catabolic proteins do significantly increase blood insulin:

Anabolic Proteins
Egg Protein
Red Meat
Whey Protein Concentrates
Casein or Milk Proteins
(Interesting to note all of the above proteins are found in
Beverly International's Mass Maker - a true lean weight gainer.)

Anti-Catabolic Proteins
Whey Protein Isolate
Cottage Cheese

xcel

To me that just seems to be another way to pass off a cheaper protein powder blend.
If you want the different proteins because they work differently at different times of the day, then have the 5 different proteins separate and have them individually at the various times throughout the day.
My eyes have been opened tremendously the last year when it comes to protein powders, so all I see in the above statements is passing off a cheap protein blend.

serrano is a pretty trustworthy guy and it does make sense to me that the slower a protein enters ur system the less of an insulin spike ull get hence more fatloss

Big A said:
To me that just seems to be another way to pass off a cheaper protein powder blend.
If you want the different proteins because they work differently at different times of the day, then have the 5 different proteins separate and have them individually at the various times throughout the day.
My eyes have been opened tremendously the last year when it comes to protein powders, so all I see in the above statements is passing off a cheap protein blend.

the reason to combine proteins is bc by combing sources u get a more varied amino acid profile. there is no perfect protein, they all have flaws and diff make ups so by combining them u hope to fill in any flaws

Protein absorbtion times are just another vehicle for supp companies to sell cheaper proteins. Independant real scientific studies, not the ones paid for by supplement companies, show that whey isolate, that is the fastest absorbing protein, has a ridiculously long absorbtion time, something like 10 hours or so (don't quote me on that, I have to recheck). Casein has even WAY longer than that an absorbtion time as do all the other proteins.
In reality, one shouldn't even concern themselves with protein powder absorbtion times as they are ALL 'slow'.

but whey is still absorbed quickest then right? would still make sense to eat variety of proteins to take advantage of each ones specific amino acid profile regardless if they r absorbed slowly

Mr_Magoo said:
but whey is still absorbed quickest then right? would still make sense to eat variety of proteins to take advantage of each ones specific amino acid profile regardless if they r absorbed slowly

Yes, but what I am saying is, if one is to use a variety of proteins, it makes more sense to have them individually, at the various times througout the day when they are needed.

My quick and cheap idea:
Since WPC is high in lactose, use whey isolate (expensive) and to cut the cost mix with something like casein or egg protein-still a high quality inexpensive mix with low/no lactose.

Big A said:

Yes, but what I am saying is, if one is to use a variety of proteins, it makes more sense to have them individually, at the various times througout the day when they are needed.

ill agree with that but can u give me some ideas on food in relation to timing of exercise and what not, for example when would u recomend a steak b eaten, also why not just combine two protein sources with similar absorption rates so ur giving the body the right type of protein it needs when it needs it but with a better amino acid profile?

This is the discussion I was looking for :D

xcel

what about the work of yves boire who basically re wrote the book on protein research which says whey is very fast acting?

I've always liked pro-complex. Reading this makes me like it more. Ingredients : whey protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, egg albumen. So even if all this new info is right at least I'm getting a good mix of these proteins. Sometimes I think there's a point where things can get too technical for they're own good. I mean as long as its a quality protein source, and you eat enough of it, isn't that all that really matters?

for the most part yes, and sometimes we do over complicate things

Maybe we do :)

For me, "lactose" makes my skin thick - so I avoid protein that doesn't have it removed (whey protein concentrate).

xcel

the one i get is so low in lactose , what makes it concentrate not isolate is that it is 80 percent protein instead of 90

Beside some ash and stuff like that, whey protein is either protein, fat or lactose (carb - i.e. milk sugar). What's in the other 20 percent?!?

xcel

I used Pro- complex on my last diet.

I am no expert. I did use Pro-Complex and oatmeal as a sole source of protein, carbs and fat 6times per day on my last diet. I got ripped. Ass striations and the whole thing. [ I am sure I also sacrifice some muscle....] I am also interested in what Big A or any other knowledgable person might recommend that I try.
To be honest I think I look better eating real food. But the protein powder and oats are easy to measure, that's for sure.

I just started using the protein from Animal and I think Im really going to like it I didnt get that really uncomfortable feeling that I get from most powders when making a 60gram shake no bloat either of course theres no taste either but who cares about that

Well my experience here is this. First few diets I used cytodyne technologis protein cyto pro. Tasted great, mixed well, and what not. Used various other proteins, but never found the one. Along comes muscle provider. Taste better than myoplex, mixes better than cytopro, hands down beats everything I've come across. Now I was under the impression that is was whey isolate only. In seeing this recently I've begun a quest for finding again the best whey isolate. As to date everyone that I've talked to seems to love what animal has. I've yet to try it, so I don't know. Just like all the hype that these supp companies use how do you know that your getting 100% pure isolate from one of these on line companies. I've sold Beverly for how long now and just recently seen this, as this been my own fault for not paying more attention. I've seen whey isolate go from $4.75 to $10.75, to me that yells discrepincsy(sp) or rip off.
But as far as the Muscle Provider, it worked great for me and is my favorite so far. I also know tht dpsquat is a huge fan of it also.

is Muscle provider a Beverly Nutrition product and is it just protein ?

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws