advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Which tricep & bicep exercises puts less strain on your tricep tendons?

headtrainer

Registered
Which tricep and bicep exercises help prevent you from getting tricep tendonitis? Which exercises are the worst?

For me:
Worst Bicep is preachers, but also thinking a bicep exercise is a power exercise and using too much weight
Best Bicep is hammer curls keeping your elbows back

Worst tricep is lying tricep extensions with a bar. I can make it better by lowering it to my forehead and a slight pause
Best tricep is close grip bench but don't bring the bar to the chest, stop a couple inches above the chest.

For me:
Worst Bicep is preachers, but also thinking a bicep exercise is a power exercise and using too much weight

Worst tricep is lying tricep extensions with a bar. I can make it better by lowering it to my forehead and a slight pause
Best tricep is close grip bench but don't bring the bar to the chest, stop a couple inches above the chest.
Preacher curls also hurt my elbows. If I do them I don’t get close to full extension. Instead I do partials and higher reps with less weight to increase time under tension.

Skull crushers is an exercise I can no longer perform. The decline hammer strength decline presses also hurts my elbows due to the angle of push.

Hammer curls kill my elbows unless I keep my elbows back back as you suggested. Close grip presses can cause my right shoulder hurt.

For me:

Agreed on the skill crushers. They kill my elbows

Preacher curls also hurt my elbows. If I do them I don’t get close to full extension. Instead I do partials and higher reps with less weight to increase time under tension.

Skull crushers is an exercise I can no longer perform. The decline hammer strength decline presses also hurts my elbows due to the angle of push.

Hammer curls kill my elbows unless I keep my elbows back back as you suggested. Close grip presses can cause my right shoulder hurt.
You sound like me. Everything fucking hurts to a degree lol.

Other than the big movements I'd say seated bicep dumbell concentration curls with elbow inside the knee and tricep push downs. Instead of lying skull crushers, maybe try standing dumbell extensions. All slow and controlled. We also have a machine with a pad to assist chins and dips but the only thing I use it for is to push the pad down hands flat can really feel the tricep inner and outer.

Maybe rather than a specific exercise just lighten up, work on form, no swinging or momentum reps. Just slow controlled movement where you really feel the muscle working inside a natural RoM. That's how my PT had me work after I had my shoulders done and it really helped me. Just having someone right there watching my movements helped also.

Try lowering the weight. Really concentrate on the contractions and also the negatives. Add in rest pause exercises too. Leave the ego at the door and really destroy em!

Cage

Easy on the tendons . . .

Reverse grip lying triceps extensions. Your elbows should be past perpendicular.

Rope cable curls; elbows out, body drag, rope stoppers always touching.

Which tricep and bicep exercises help prevent you from getting tricep tendonitis? Which exercises are the worst?
Probably the movements that don’t hurt! Everyone is unique. Learn how to move and keep the tension on the muscle and not the joint. Mike Van Wyck does a great job illustrating this in his videos.

I'd probably approach it from the standpoint of proximal distance from shoulder to elbow. Starting with movements that are in the shortened position(shoulder extended) and moving toward lengthened(overhead).
Additionally, if your shoulder external rotation is inhibited then you'd want to stay away from any kind lying barbell extension or any movement that requires effort to rotate elbows towards the body. Essentially, making sure the carrying angle is as close to a straight line from muscle to whatever you're moving.

If you want to eliminate bicep tendon pain do spider curls or just grab a straight Olympic bar bend over and curl...dumbbell kickbacks do not stress the tricep tendon...

Probably the movements that don’t hurt! Everyone is unique. Learn how to move and keep the tension on the muscle and not the joint. Mike Van Wyck does a great job illustrating this in his videos.

I’ve watched his videos. I love most of them and agree with what he says but I disagree with Mike about fully extending the arms on a bicep preacher curl machine. That can give you elbow pain and bicep tendon pain ( even with lighter weight) because of the angle of pull. Same goes for chin ups, rows and pull downs. When targeting the lats you have to learn open them up without fully locking on the elbows. If not, golfers elbow will usually occur. Also, allowing the hands to travel too high during tricep push downs can cause elbow pain.

If you want to eliminate bicep tendon pain do spider curls or just grab a straight Olympic bar bend over and curl...dumbbell kickbacks do not stress the tricep tendon...
I like cable tricep kick backs for working the long head without putting a lot stress on the tricep tendon. But I believe over head rope tricep extensions build more mass. Too bad they are hard on the elbows.

Easy on the tendons . . .

Reverse grip lying triceps extensions. Your elbows should be past perpendicular.

Rope cable curls; elbows out, body drag, rope stoppers always touching.
The only exercise out of those I’d have trouble with is reverse grip lying tricep extensions. They make my wrist hurt. I’ve had carpal tunnel surgery on both wrist.

The only exercise out of those I’d have trouble with is reverse grip lying tricep extensions. They make my wrist hurt. I’ve had carpal tunnel surgery on both wrist.

I can very easily see an issue if you have carpel tunnel issues. Good call.

I like you including db kickbacks for a pain free triceps exercise. (I forgot to include it.) The only problem I see with people performing this exercise is 1, they use way too much weight. 2, too much momentum. 3, the elbow should be behind midline of your torso and should remain there throughout the exercise to assure complete contraction.

Other than the big movements I'd say seated bicep dumbell concentration curls with elbow inside the knee and tricep push downs. Instead of lying skull crushers, maybe try standing dumbell extensions. All slow and controlled. We also have a machine with a pad to assist chins and dips but the only thing I use it for is to push the pad down hands flat can really feel the tricep inner and outer.

Maybe rather than a specific exercise just lighten up, work on form, no swinging or momentum reps. Just slow controlled movement where you really feel the muscle working inside a natural RoM. That's how my PT had me work after I had my shoulders done and it really helped me. Just having someone right there watching my movements helped also.
You’re right about the concentration curls. Standing overhead tricep ext also hurt my elbows. We also have an assisted dip/pull up machine at our gym with a pad. If it doesn’t hurt my right shoulder ( had 3 surgeries on it) I might be able to push the pad down behind my back and use it as a modified form of a bench dip to work the triceps. But strict tricep push downs as you suggested are the best exercise to keep tricep tendons healthy.

Try lowering the weight. Really concentrate on the contractions and also the negatives. Add in rest pause exercises too. Leave the ego at the door and really destroy em!

Cage
I already use perfect form in every exercise. I’ve learned to work the muscles instead of the weights. But years of lifting and contact sports have caught up with me. I’m pushing 60 years old.

Triceps pain used to prevent me from all direct triceps training.

I discovered a healing technique from the Westside literature.

Basically get a mini band and do sets of 50 to 70 extensions (4 to 6 sets). As they describe it, you're trying to fatigue the muscle without damaging it, which thus gets a flood of blood into the tendon. Use all angles.

Well, been doing this regularly, and now I can hit skill crushers, JM presses, dirty 30s, close grips etc and the elbow pain is 85% gone. Quite amazing.

Worst tricep for me is skull crushers
Worst bicep for me is straight barbell curls or dumbell curls where the wrist is over rotating

Honestly Amy time either flair up it's generally from heavy chest training or heavy back training.
Barbell rows flair up bicep tendonitis nearly instantly

Anything Behind the head DB exercises

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
systemfiles1
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner