advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Who doesnt shoulder press ; or does little shoulder pressing?!?

Started doing bb press beginning of chest routine but think it hampers my chestwo so will be stopping and just concentrating on raises and might throw lite db presses toasted end of routine

i personly never train shoulders and there probably my best bodypart since im always asked about them at my gym

i just do incline presses on chest day, wid pull ups and rows on back day

all i do is wide grip upright rows for my lateral heads

wen i first started bodybuilding i use to train shoulders but wen i hit 405 on seated bb press and 150 and 170 dumbells i felt all i was doing was risking injury,
especialy wen i needed 2 peoples assistance to help me get the 170s into position

Last edited:
Interesting replies; I have been a firm believer in front barbell presses, behind the neck, seated dumbell presses, arnold presses, clean and presses etc. but I always felt that the Bench press is what created my shoulder problems. I now start my shoulder training with multiple sets of lateral raises (front, back and rear) and then move to a pressing movement for 15 to 20 reps per set.

no pressing movements for me on shoulder days....just made the switch to only raises as of a couple months ago.

I already have a terrible shoulder (2 labrum surgeries) and have very limited lack of mobility (cant reach the bar while squatting) AND was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in that same shoulder a couple years ago.....

im only 24 and dont want to be out the game any sooner than i want to. The docs told me if i kept playing ball, i would need a shoulder replacement by 26

Use to go heavy on Barbell Presses up to 3 plates back in the day for football. Was one of my stronger exercises. Hurt shoulder somehow wrestling and now just do them high reps light weight after laterals, reverse pec deck . They haven't shrunk with all the laterals I do. I try to hit that upper part of the back lower traps with face pulls now, which the presses always see to also hit.

I train chest/shoulders together so very rarely do I do shoulder press...maybe once a month with dumbbells and not very heavy since front delts get crushed with chest work (bench, dips, incline pushups, etc). Maybe one other time a month I'll do handstand pushups, one other time some barbell clean and press but not very heavy - maybe 135 lbs.
So probably 3 shoulder workouts a month (of 5-6) have NO shoulder presses of any sort in them. I don't feel they are necessary....I don't like upright row either as I get a LOT of bicep pump that way. Variations of laterals does plenty for me...

I never liked BB shoulder press. DBs always seemed to allow a much more natural, full motion. I agree with others...as I upped the weights, I felt more at risk of injury getting them into place or offloading.

I too have switched to Phil's recommendations, which does not include shoulder press for me...and I've probably made my best gains in my shoulders over the past month. (Thanks Phil!!)

I split my delts workouts.

On chest day, I do a pressing movement, either Push Press or Alternating db press with a Hammer grip. My shoulders have never felt better or larger. I do all my shoulder pressing, standing up. I also do front raises.

On back day, I hit the back and side delts and I will sometimes do Hang Cleans or Power Cleans. Lateral raises..etc.

IF your exercise selection, training frequency and volume are chosen correctly, there is no need for any type of overhead press. Laterals are all you need. lateral raises provide plenty of delt stimulation with minimal risk of injury.

Side laterals, with arms straight.
Reverse machine laterals on the pec-flye for rear delts.

Sometimes I pre-fatigue the upper range of the movement, then go heavier for as full a range of motion from the bottom as I can. I have to do more sets for shoulders than any other bodypart. Maybe 8 sets of 10-12, last 2-3 sets to failure.

I've switched back and forth between overhead presses and side laterals several times over the years, and with presses, I always look worse...

My form must really suck on laterals because I dropped pressing movements for close to a year from all the talk on here, and hiring Phil. I felt like I could watch my delts shrink in that time. The last couple months I have been doing Yates style training with a couple warm ups and one work set, with three to four exercises per body part mostly.
Delts I have been hitting with seated hammer strength press or seated DB press(alternating from week to week). I've worked up to 100 lb DBs, which is WAY heavier than I've gotten before. Then I would do seated lateral raises, and standing cable laterals. My shoulders have blown up bigger and hurt less than they ever have.
I've also been doing rear delts on back day and have noticed a good improvement in my rear delts.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

I don't do any presses.
I'm training under Phil Hernon & it does not have any presses involve.
No presses for shoulders. Just laterals.

interesting feedback make sense. laterals done properly can be enough with minimal risk . but i do shoulder press everyweek as a staple not heavy thouh maybe 80kgs.

ifbb pro timms

i always do shoulder presses because to the shoulder they are like declines for the chest..best overall mass builder for cannonball delts when you go strict and feel lateral..n..front.haeds contract..most people mess up by going too heavy.

and why would phil not use them? i am sure he used them when he was in his prime competing..all pros do dont they?

I know it can be bad but I personally love shoulder pressing. Although I tend to only go heavy on the seated hammer strength machine (plates used). When using free weight exercises I tend to use very high reps (mainly seated or standing db presses). My main shoulder exercise are lateral raises and they are performed every shoulder day (different angles etc). Others exercises I use are shrugs and upright rows.

Im actually suprised by the high amount of folks that dont do shoulder presses. My shoulders have always been one of my strong points, and I live by heavy pressing movements, alternating BB and DB week to week. That being said, I just had shoulder surgery last sept on my right shoulder. I just got back to the heavy weights in the last few months. Now my left shoulder is bothering me, feels like impingement. Maybe its time for a change in my thought process for longevity....I aint gettting any younger (43 later this month).

i personly never train shoulders and there probably my best bodypart since im always asked about them at my gym

i just do incline presses on chest day, wid pull ups and rows on back day

all i do is wide grip upright rows for my lateral heads

wen i first started bodybuilding i use to train shoulders but wen i hit 405 on seated bb press and 150 and 170 dumbells i felt all i was doing was risking injury,
especialy wen i needed 2 peoples assistance to help me get the 170s into position

That's some serious pressing strength. What do you press for chest?

Opinions of overhead pressing on shoulder health seem to vary among strength coaches, although I can only remember of Poliquin saying you actually need to OH press for shoulder health. It's probably best to take the opposite advice in that case LOL (OH pressing is bad for shoulder health)

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Itisisaysme510
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws