advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Who else can’t do incline presses without experiencing shoulder pain?

headtrainer

Registered
Due to arthritis in my shoulders, I can no longer do incline presses of any kind without experiencing significant shoulder pain. Inclines cause way too too much shoulder impingement for me these days. Also, I’ve never got a lot of upper chest development from inclines. Neck presses on a flat bench worked better for me when I was able to do them without experiencing shoulder pain. Inclines are mostly a from delt exercise for me anyways regardless of how I perform them. Inclines make my front delts sorer than overhead shoulder presses for some unknown reason. That said, some people I know can’t do flat bench presses due to experiencing shoulder pain but they can do incline presses without pain.

I just started having this issue about 6 months ago. This weekend it was pretty bad so I guess I'm throwing that out the window too.

Due to arthritis in my shoulders, I can no longer do incline presses of any kind without experiencing significant shoulder pain. Inclines cause way too too much shoulder impingement for me these days. Also, I’ve never got a lot of upper chest development from inclines. Neck presses on a flat bench worked better for me when I was able to do them without experiencing shoulder pain. Inclines are mostly a from delt exercise for me anyways regardless of how I perform them. Inclines make my front delts sorer than overhead shoulder presses for some unknown reason. That said, some people I know can’t do flat bench presses due to experiencing shoulder pain but they can do incline presses without pain.
Are you touching the bar to your chest? If so, don't. Many guys don't have the structure for it. John Meadows, Dusty, Steve Kuclo, Chris Cormier etc all stop a few inches above the chest. Going further takes tension off the chest and puts the shoulders in a bad position. Some people can do it, some people can't. Grip width and grip type can also be factors.

Great suggestions above with using a pad on the bar and/or stopping a bit short of touching your chest.

For some time now I've been dealing with adhesive capsulitis (frozen shoulder) in my right shoulder which limits my range of motion/causes pain. I've both narrowed my grip a bit and started NOT touching my chest on incline smith machine presses which has allowed me to keep the movement in my routine and make progress. I also stick to low incline, preferably 15-20 degrees depending on the bench, but going over 30 degrees seems to just stress and fatigue my shoulders more than anything.

Are you touching the bar to your chest? If so, don't. Many guys don't have the structure for it. John Meadows, Dusty, Steve Kuclo, Chris Cormier etc all stop a few inches above the chest. Going further takes tension off the chest and puts the shoulders in a bad position. Some people can do it, some people can't. Grip width and grip type can also be factors.
No, I stopped touching the bar to my chest 25 years ago. Grip width and type makes no difference. My shoulders hurt regardless of how I do inclines. Elbow positioning also doesn’t make much of a difference. I’ve tried everything!

Me, thats why years ago I stopped doing all straight bar inclines and switched to dumbbell press and then light flys.

I have a partially torn labrum I'll tweak it every now and then doing them. Key imo is more pulling than pushing work the rear delts rotator cuff with bands, stability stuff etc

Me, thats why years ago I stopped doing all straight bar inclines and switched to dumbbell press and then light flys.
Incline flyes hurt my shoulder more than incline presses. I’m doing flat and decline cable presses now. I also do a few sets on the flye machine with light weight and higher reps.

I have a partially torn labrum I'll tweak it every now and then doing them. Key imo is more pulling than pushing work the rear delts rotator cuff with bands, stability stuff etc
My rear delts and upper back are very strong. But I agree that this helps me. I have bone spurs and only a little articular carriage left in my shoulders. Inclines are out because they create more impingement.

Machines bro…. We all get to a point in life when free weights no longer conducive to our well being. With technology today and the amount of brands you can grow and get sick pumps with machines. Give up the barbells and dumbbells…

Yes cable are awesome too, I have found myself, once I have up on powerlifting dreams, using cables for most of my chest work other than flat bench.

I mean, you're speaking of "incline presses" as if there's only one angle. Have you tried them all?

For example, 30deg has *never* felt good on my shoulders, 15-20 feels great, 55-60 feels great, everything else is iffy.

Not to mention variation in implements, grip angles, etc. etc.

Have you tried pre-exhaust? I have the same issue with many pressing movements simply due to age (59) and lifting for 45 years. That has taken a toll on my shoulders/RC's bigtime. If I START my routine with any barbell or db presses, be it flat or inclines, my shoulders kill me from jump. However, if I start with a movement like pec deck flyes, or even a light/medium-weight machine type press, and do a few sets of higher reps, say 15-20, I can then go to a db or bb press afterwards and have no or minimal pain. It could be bcoz of getting alot of blood in the pec/shoulder region first, or it could be that the weights used on the db/bb press will be significantly less due to being pre exhausted, OR both. If you haven't tried this out, give 'er a shot and holla back. Good luck.

I mean, you're speaking of "incline presses" as if there's only one angle. Have you tried them all?

For example, 30deg has *never* felt good on my shoulders, 15-20 feels great, 55-60 feels great, everything else is iffy.

Not to mention variation in implements, grip angles, etc. etc.
Yes, I’ve tried everything. I’ve been training for 50 years. It’s taken a toll on my shoulders.

Have you tried pre-exhaust? I have the same issue with many pressing movements simply due to age (59) and lifting for 45 years. That has taken a toll on my shoulders/RC's bigtime. If I START my routine with any barbell or db presses, be it flat or inclines, my shoulders kill me from jump. However, if I start with a movement like pec deck flyes, or even a light/medium-weight machine type press, and do a few sets of higher reps, say 15-20, I can then go to a db or bb press afterwards and have no or minimal pain. It could be bcoz of getting alot of blood in the pec/shoulder region first, or it could be that the weights used on the db/bb press will be significantly less due to being pre exhausted, OR both. If you haven't tried this out, give 'er a shot and holla back. Good luck.
Yes, I usually start my workout with a few sets of high reps on flye machine. Then go to decline cable presses and finish with flat bench cable presses. I have found this beneficial. I have almost always performed inclines at the end of my workout to get fully warmed up. But I’ve hit the point my shoulders can’t handle inclines anymore.

Machines bro…. We all get to a point in life when free weights no longer conducive to our well being. With technology today and the amount of brands you can grow and get sick pumps with machines. Give up the barbells and dumbbells…
I gave up free weights back in my 40’s. I’m 60 now. I use only cables and machines.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
BL
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws