YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Who else can’t do incline presses without experiencing shoulder pain?

over head pressing is said to correct some shoulders issues.
I’m able to do overhead presses as long as I keep my elbows pointed forward. For me, the best exercise to reduce shoulder pain has been reverse cable flyes. They are a must do for me.

try retracting your scapula with chest exposed and shoulders back. Also the kabuki Cadillac or titan version of neutral bar make a huge difference as does what I previously mentioned. Assuming you're not doing that already. Also try keeping joints stacked as in now a wide grip, wrists horizontal.
I’ve tried the neutral bar with various inclines and it did help a little. But not enough to were I can continue doing them.

They make a bench block that has different slots to put the bar in and each slot limits the ROM when you lower the bar to a different degree
Limiting the range of motion helps. But it still hurts a lot. And there’s only so far you can limit the range of motion before you’re no longer working chest.

You probably know a lot of this already, but take a look at a few Mike Van Wyck videos. As long as you don't have ADHD like some members on this board that want their magical answer in 30 seconds, if you watch these videos, I'm sure you will find a copule angles and tips on how to take the load off your shoulders and engage your chest more instead. I used to get tons of shoulder pain on a standard seated Incline Hammer Press and after watching all the videos, I don't have anymore shoulder pain and I actually feel my chest working throughout the movement.

I gave up on bar presses back in the 90's for the most part. To hard on my shoulders. I did continue with using the smith for some time. I found weighted dips and dumbbells did more for my chest then anything. But stopped any heavy dips long ago as the shoulders didn't care for them either. After having surgeries on both shoulders i just rotate to what doesn't hurt. Cable machine presses seem to work the best. But cables in general seem to be what my frail old body prefers these days.

I haven't been able to do inclines for over a decade.. at least nothing over 10 degrees or so.. any motion no matter how light above that angle causes alot of pain.. that being said my upper chest isn't lacking nor has it diminished because of lack of incline work.. incline for upper pec is overrated.. many ways to hit the upper pecs
Which other way other then incline can you hit upper chest if it’s lagging ?
The upper pec is going to contract regardless of the pec movement.. studies have even shown high pec minor involvement in decline presses. But other movements are dip shrugs. Frontlateral raises. . Reverse grip bench.. even db floor presses work the upper pecs hard.

I haven't been able to do inclines for over a decade.. at least nothing over 10 degrees or so.. any motion no matter how light above that angle causes alot of pain.. that being said my upper chest isn't lacking nor has it diminished because of lack of incline work.. incline for upper pec is overrated.. many ways to hit the upper pecs
The upper pec is going to contract regardless of the pec movement.. studies have even shown high pec minor involvement in decline presses. But other movements are dip shrugs. Frontlateral raises. . Reverse grip bench.. even db floor presses work the upper pecs hard.
I agree! When I perform a flat press it works the entire chest. For most people their upper pecs aren’t as big as their mid to lower pecs. For those who have a genetically gifted upper chest, they will get a big upper chest doing only flat presses or declines. I believe inclines focus on the upper pecs a little more than flat and decline presses, but it’s a very small percentage. It all boils down to a persons genetics as to how big their upper pecs can get, not whether they do inclines or not.

You probably know a lot of this already, but take a look at a few Mike Van Wyck videos. As long as you don't have ADHD like some members on this board that want their magical answer in 30 seconds, if you watch these videos, I'm sure you will find a copule angles and tips on how to take the load off your shoulders and engage your chest more instead. I used to get tons of shoulder pain on a standard seated Incline Hammer Press and after watching all the videos, I don't have anymore shoulder pain and I actually feel my chest working throughout the movement.

I’ve watched about all his videos. He’s right about using proper form to engage the targeted muscle. I noticed there’s some exercises Mike can no longer do either because of one of his bad shoulder.

I have a partially torn labrum I'll tweak it every now and then doing them. Key imo is more pulling than pushing work the rear delts rotator cuff with bands, stability stuff etc
I’ve had parts of my labrum removed along with articular cartilage. My orthopedic surgeon did an MRI and said it’s the lack of articular cartilage that’s causing most of my pain. He’s ranked as one of the top 22 shoulder surgeons in the U.S. He said I’m going to be a candidate for total shoulder replacement soon. He wants to avoid the reverse shoulder replacement because I’d lose a lot of strength from him removing my 4 rotator cuff muscles and attaching everything to the anterior, medial and posterior muscles of my deltoids.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131