advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Who has developed nice shoulders without doing OHP?

My shoulders don't get nice and plump eithout them

Ok, here's my experience. Back was I was a scrawnny(I know spelling is wrong) ass teenager, back in the day at Gold's gym, everyone was bigger than me. I was totally natural, just a skinny fuck. I worked in the lower rep ranges, but for delts, one day, I decided to start doing side laterals and I went over that rep range that you can't build muscle on(anything over 10 reps, lmao). My shoulders blew up, I had to quit training them. They made my arms look small. Looking back, they were small! haha
I think I just had the genetics for shoulders, so for shoulders I do the occasional side laterals and yes, of course I have done heavy OHP, but it wasn't necessary. I've had my share of neck and upper back pains, so I avoid behind the neck presses like the plague.

Who argues this lol

me LOL
i never really did over head presses. i grew the most from 28-35 and i never did em once.
delts are prob my best bodypart tho....
-F2S

I always thought military presses were the backbone of any shoulder routine. Ill use dumbells and a bar but find me a hammer strength machine and im on it.... Although I will do upright rows as my main exercise sometimes. I always did lateral or front raises as my finishing moves. I always did shrugs as part of my shoulder routine but found out traps are part of your back not shoulders...who fucking new, lol :cool:
After reading this thread I might have to reevaluate my way of thinking but my shoulders have never been a problem for me. Actually I couldn't imagine not doing OHP

I started putting them back in lately... Listened to a lot of people say not needed.... Idk, I feel like as soon as I put them back in they got rounder with the heavier weights... What I have been doing is setting up a bench in a power rack that I can put the stops where the bar only comes down to my face level.... I also do them for my last exercise w delts, and thats after chest and tris as well so the poundages are much less

Side laterals are the number one movement for me, however, I have always done OHP with it and add cables laterals as well.

To each his own as they say, whatever works for you;

I had a discussion with Samir Bannout about this. In his opinion they are unnecessary and he recommends not to do them. He claims volume raises are the way to go for overall delt development. I countered his point quoting kevin levrone who said that OHP was the best movement for overall delt development. Samir said something like Kevin had some of the best delts in history no doubt but the OHP only hits the front delt and the other development Kevin had he concluded had to be from raises...

Personally I am more on Kevin's side of the opinion. I do heavy OHP, as well as lateral raises and rear delt raises. I actually cut the OHP out of my program for quite a long time and my delt development suffered big time IMO. Just brought them back in a few weeks ago, we'll see :)

I started putting them back in lately... Listened to a lot of people say not needed.... Idk, I feel like as soon as I put them back in they got rounder with the heavier weights... What I have been doing is setting up a bench in a power rack that I can put the stops where the bar only comes down to my face level.... I also do them for my last exercise w delts, and thats after chest and tris as well so the poundages are much less
I use to do this as well add OHP to my chest routine. Go from a flat press to inclines to an OHP or the other way around just to change things up and start with an OHP and work my way down since there all push movements. My question doing triceps and delts also all in the same session don't you find this to be to taxing?? I had to eventually give shoulders there own day. I couldn't handle it. It was fucking grueling almost like leg day. How do you fit all that in there?? Also I felt like I was not giving everything my full attention. Your thoughts??

Someone who started training a little later in life, and was taken under the wings of someone with the knowledge.

I think his name is Al..........lol

AI ?? Who is that. sorry but u cant make a fictional character. i need name, dob, national insurance no, gym membership number, 20 witnesses from the persons gym stating he has never done OHP lol

AI ?? Who is that. sorry but u cant make a fictional character. i need name, dob, national insurance no, gym membership number, 20 witnesses from the persons gym stating he has never done OHP lol

I would but he's a secret agent and I'm sworn to keep his secret.....well except his shoulder workout! ;)

I agree with all that and feel same way. I recently added em back in cuz my shoulders have been stiffening up on me and tbh its hard just to be in the overhead press position. I exhaust delts with laterals and usually superset overhead dumb presses with them.
-F2S

i sometimes wonder if delts are like calves. u eiither got em or u dont.
i see cats with side delts rounded out to here and some, like me, who just dont. maybe the shape of yr clavicles...delts on rounded shoulders wont pop out as much.

i sometimes wonder if delts are like calves. u eiither got em or u dont.
i see cats with side delts rounded out to here and some, like me, who just dont. maybe the shape of yr clavicles...delts on rounded shoulders wont pop out as much.

I agree with this. I have naturally broad shoulders and they are commented on a lot but after umpteen years of doing lots of different things it's a struggle to get that round shape. Now at age 52 it's starting to happen a little. I do mostly lots of side and rear lateral, but I also do Smith Machine OH raises like in that video, with my head under the bar. Still do some behind the neck, that pumps me the most.

I use to do this as well add OHP to my chest routine. Go from a flat press to inclines to an OHP or the other way around just to change things up and start with an OHP and work my way down since there all push movements. My question doing triceps and delts also all in the same session don't you find this to be to taxing?? I had to eventually give shoulders there own day. I couldn't handle it. It was fucking grueling almost like leg day. How do you fit all that in there?? Also I felt like I was not giving everything my full attention. Your thoughts??

it is hard and taxing, but every one of my training sessions is taxing lol...my back and bi day, or my leg days are def harder.... i hit everything ~AROUND twice every 5 days, but keep my volume lower per muscle per session... some days i will focus more on strength with like 2 working sets per exercise in the 6-10 range, maybe 3 exercises.... some days i may go up in rep range to like 12-25 and do a few more sets.... or sometimes mix the 2 in the same session... tuesday i did-

(more power based day)-
-Slight incline DB press (3-4 warm ups) 2 work sets (got upto 150s x 8 with a 1 second pause at the bottom, new PR :)
-Decline Hammer strength (1 warm up) 2 work sets
-Incline Hammer strength press (1 warm up) 2 work sets
- i did a few sets of cable crosses to push blood at the end

-HS dip machine, (2 warm ups), 2 work sets
-Skull crushers on incline bench, 1 warm up, 2 work sets
- superset- EZ bar push down, triangle push ups

-BB Upright row (1 warm up) 2 work sets
-Rear delt meadows swings (1 warm up) 2 work sets + 1 lightweight hi rep set
-power rack Mil press from stops (1 warm up), 2 work sets

about 90 minutes in training
i also eat a lot of carbs in the peri window (~75 pre meal, 150-200ish intra, ~75-100 post)

Split right now is
Legs
Chest/tri/delt
back/bis

... what i have been doing lately is training 2 days, taking one off.... so basically hitting every muscle every 5 days

Last edited:
it is hard and taxing, but every one of my training sessions is taxing lol...my back and bi day, or my leg days are def harder.... i hit everything ~AROUND twice every 5 days, but keep my volume lower per muscle per session... some days i will focus more on strength with like 2 working sets per exercise in the 6-10 range, maybe 3 exercises.... some days i may go up in rep range to like 12-25 and do a few more sets.... or sometimes mix the 2 in the same session... tuesday i did-

(more power based day)-
-Slight incline DB press (3-4 warm ups) 2 work sets (got upto 150s x 8 with a 1 second pause at the bottom, new PR :)
-Decline Hammer strength (1 warm up) 2 work sets
-Incline Hammer strength press (1 warm up) 2 work sets
- i did a few sets of cable crosses to push blood at the end

-HS dip machine, (2 warm ups), 2 work sets
-Skull crushers on incline bench, 1 warm up, 2 work sets
- superset- EZ bar push down, triangle push ups

-BB Upright row (1 warm up) 2 work sets
-Rear delt meadows swings (1 warm up) 2 work sets + 1 lightweight hi rep set
-power rack Mil press from stops (1 warm up), 2 work sets

about 90 minutes in training
i also eat a lot of carbs in the peri window (~75 pre meal, 150-200ish intra, ~75-100 post)

Split right now is
Legs
Chest/tri/delt
back/bis

... what i have been doing lately is training 2 days, taking one off.... so basically hitting every muscle every 5 days

Damn that's a lot. I was getting wore out reading it. Ive watched you get bigger over time so it must be working for you. I'm basically doing the same exercises as you. I like the hammer strength machines.. skullcrushers are my favorite tricep exercise..Cable crossovers too for chest... My tempo and sets are slightly different just feel like my results have slowed down a bit. It's hard to pin point what your doing wrong when your not growing. I guess what works for you necessarily may not work for me..I guess it could be only be 3 things my diet, my training or my gear.
I just totally changed my training routine and I'm in the process of making changes in my diet. So we see if can break out of this rut .

Thanks for the reply

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity