over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Who here makes their own sauerkraut?

Sauerkraut is one of those things that for all of the time it takes you might as well buy it from the store, it's all the same.

Wow, brings back the memories of cabbage buns, sauerbraten, potato glace, compote...

Its absolutely not the same. Sauerkraut from the store is pickled with vinegar and contains no live or active cultures. Homemade is pickled through lacto-fermentation and is great for you. And for the guy who asked above how to make it....essentially you salt it and let it sit in a crock at room temperature for several days to a few weeks.

Anyone here tried Kimchi?

I posted a pic in the food were eating thread a few months back of a couple big tubs of kimchi i made. Its super tasty. Great with fried rice

I posted a pic in the food were eating thread a few months back of a couple big tubs of kimchi i made. Its super tasty. Great with fried rice

Hi heavyhitter...did you post a picture and "how to " ? Thank you in advance.
Take care.
MS

Emeric's a big advocate of Sauerkraut for digestive purposes. Why I started adding it to my diet. Whole Foods here carries about 6-7 different brands. Most are nothing more than organic cabbage, water, sea salt and lactic acid. $5 bucks for a big ass jar. I doubt I could make it for that price.

Its absolutely not the same. Sauerkraut from the store is pickled with vinegar and contains no live or active cultures. Homemade is pickled through lacto-fermentation and is great for you. And for the guy who asked above how to make it....essentially you salt it and let it sit in a crock at room temperature for several days to a few weeks.

Do you add water? From what I understand is it should at some point be below liquid. Is the liquid water or cabbage juice.

How do you make kimchi?

Do you add water? From what I understand is it should at some point be below liquid. Is the liquid water or cabbage juice.

How do you make kimchi?

You do not add water. Salting the cabbage draws out all the water that is naturally in it. When you stuff it into the croc or jar....the water will come out. You press down on the cabbage until it rises to the level that it overs the cabbage. You might occasionally have to add a touch of water to cover.

If theres any interest ill post the recipe I use but basically its this.... You wash all the cabbage after splitting the heads into fours. You salt everything and let sit for a few hours. You then rinse it all off and coat it in a spice mixture that you've made. You then pack it all into jars or a large crock along with some greens onions, a little garlic, and an Asian pear that you've sliced and cover and let sit in a cool area(pantry, basement) for a couple days to a few weeks to achieve the level of fermentation that you like. then you pop it in the refrigerator and its good for months.

heres what it should look like

Attachments

• kimchi.jpg
    kimchi.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 88
another

Attachments

• kimchi2.jpg
    kimchi2.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 85
Thanks for the recipe. I appreciate it.

I added a bunch of water to my first batch of sauerkraut and then the top got moldy and I tossed it.

I saved a huge jar and am going to try another attempt soon. I was eating pickles for a month to get this huge jar...

Heavy. When I tired to make it last week the top of the Jar appeared to get a little moldy so I threw out the whole batch as I was afraid I messed up. This was after about sitting out for 5 days

Heavy. When I tired to make it last week the top of the Jar appeared to get a little moldy so I threw out the whole batch as I was afraid I messed up. This was after about sitting out for 5 days

You need to place like a heavy ceramic plate or something on the top of the cabbage so that it stays submerged. You dont really want any of it above the level of the water. I smash it back down every couple of days too. Mold is definitely a bad thing though. Any idea what the temperature was in the area you let it sit? And are you sure It was mold....or was it just kind of milky looking? Milky isn't bad....fuzzy or thick white or starting to turn blue is bad

in china,we eat kimchi mostly,and the taste is really good,but also lots of ppl don' like it.

My mom try to homemade it once,just put the material and all the seasonings into it,and seal for a while,but the taste is different with what i imaged:naughty: so we buy it and never homemade it again,lol

How long do you guys ferment yours for?

I usually go a week to ten days depending on when it smells right and then put it in the fridge. It'll still ferment in the fridge....just much more slowly

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws