over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Who here still follow the principle "Eat only when hungry"? Phil Hernon

I think it holds some merit for some people, but the trick is in finding the foods that agree with you most. Somethings I could eat within my macros and I wouldn't be hungry many hours later. Other things and I'm hungry within 2-3 hours. I just try to find meals that fall along that line as I feel it means my body processed it better... Or just digestion tolerates it better.

Also if bulking I feel you have to eat as you are basically forcing your body to do something it would not normally do. This principle is more geared for dieting in my opinion.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

i definitely follow it

its the only thing that makes sense. why would you not eat if you were REALLY hungry? don't u think the body is trying to tell you something....?:lightbulb:
its prob trying to tell u it needs nutrients......:st:r-wars
-F2S

To gain any kind of weight for me I have to force feed myself. My metabolism runs way to high... I could lose 5 ta 6 pounds of water easily in a day of hard work on the road. Face it if you want to grow you have to eat and eat and eat. All the gear in the world isn't going to help you without food. That just IMO

^this is exactly why eating when hungry works.
faster metab usually means hungry more often. eat more often recover better and get bigger...
-F2S

Eat when hungry? You mean eat all day? Id be a fat ass in a weeks time.

No its moronic. If I listened to my body Id eat 10,000 call a day, be a fat fuck and never do cardio. I'm always hungry. To achieve high level results you have to do things you may not want too or that your body "doesn't tell you to do"

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

Bang on. At the moment my appitite about right after 6 months of eating shit every day so I'm eating around about 4000 clean cals and recomping nice. I like the theory behind listen to your body but normally my body lies like fuck to me and I eat a lot more than I need. Plus our bodies want to be about 15% at about 170lb or something like that.

Last edited:
Eating when hungry doesn't even work for 150 pound people who are trying to gain weight why would it work for a 250 pound person on hormones.

I pretty much disagree with Phil on almost everything he says tho. Maybe he is just so much generically superior the all of us, because what he does does not work for the normal man.

My body doesn't want to work out, or even stand up, it just wants to eat junk food and be a total pothead. Good thing I don't listen to it.

For me eating when I get hungry doesn't work. I feel that I should not wait for my body to send me that message. I have got much better results by eating by the clock..... Every 3 waking hours I feed .....if I am putting on too much weight I'll dial down my portions. Been eating this way for years with success.

Same, I always have stuck to the old school eating every 3-3.5 hours method. 5 meals a day is usually what I do.

Eating when hungry doesn't even work for 150 pound people who are trying to gain weight why would it work for a 250 pound person on hormones.

I pretty much disagree with Phil on almost everything he says tho. Maybe he is just so much generically superior the all of us, because what he does does not work for the normal man.

x2

Your body doesn't want to be 250 pounds and lean so why listen to it. I understand what he means though... no force feeding etc. Plus the more muscle you carry the faster your metabolism. Moreover if you eat the right foods and maintain healthy digestion your body will be like a furnace so you will always be hungry. On the times your body doesn't want to eat it is telling you something and if you carry on eating it will likely lead to stomach issues etc.

So whilst I understand his way of thinking for most people it doesn't really work. He had the genetics for bb so he probably could have ate or trained many different ways and he still would have looked like he did. Fact is so many things can effect our appetite... from stress, drugs, sickness etc. For most people they still need to maintain a decent amount of calories and regular eating to grow. I am not saying force feeding as that is different.

I eat when I am hungry but if I were trying to grow I would be doing more than my body wanted. Your mind may want to be 260 pounds and 8% but your body certainly doesn't.

Last edited:
I think it's good for some, not good for others. If you followed this principle exactly, what do you do when appetite takes a hit from something like anadrol or ephedrine? You wouldn't be eating much. People like me, who have monster appetites, would get fat if we followed this. Others swear by it, however if they have normal appetites.
Same here. I would be 300lbs in less than a year and obese if I listened to my stomach. Im hungry at almost all times year round even when adding size.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

phil was a good guy i wonder what happend that caused him to go crazy like he did when he got banned:confused:

I usually feel better and look better when I dont force feed myself. My appetite will be shitty for a week or two and someone will always say that I look bigger/better. Shit doesnt make sense sometimes. I will say I can never make any real gains with out force feeding myself. Classic hard gainer.

x2

Your body doesn't want to be 250 pounds and lean so why listen to it. I understand what he means though... no force feeding etc. Plus the more muscle you carry the faster your metabolism. Moreover if you eat the right foods and maintain healthy digestion your body will be like a furnace so you will always be hungry. On the times your body doesn't want to eat it is telling you something and if you carry on eating it will likely lead to stomach issues etc.
So whilst I understand his way of thinking for most people it doesn't really work. He had the genetics for bb so he probably could have ate or trained many different ways and he still would have looked like he did. Fact is so many things can effect our appetite... from stress, drugs, sickness etc. For most people they still need to maintain a decent amount of calories and regular eating to grow. I am not saying force feeding as that is different.

I eat when I am hungry but if I were trying to grow I would be doing more than my body wanted. Your mind may want to be 260 pounds and 8% but your body certainly doesn't.

that is spot on why 'eating when hungry" works.
u can manipulate macros to make u hungrier more often. telling u big E its ideal..... alternate every solid meal with a liquid one and it makes metab even faster.... add drugs and workout and metab goes faster....
-F2S

I help a super heavy with his super sup protocols and routines. he ignored my advice on diet for 4-5 years. I did what I could with drug protocols to help him and we have made a lot of progress. this year he FINALLY listened to me about diet and he is currently eating 5x the carbs he normally would and is easily the leanest he has ever been. we are going for the pro card in a few weeks.
sometimes eating MORE can equate more fat loss. ai know it sounds crazy but ll depends on how macros are and drugs used and etc...
-F2S

When I'm dieting I wont eat until I'm hungry but even then I will push my hunger a little bit before eating my next meal. It's harder for me to follow if I'm trying to gain some weight. I'm the type of person who gets really into work and when I'm focussed on something, my hunger signal doesn't turn on until my mind isn't working as hard. I have an apetite that can put a lot of food away, but my hunger is greatly affected by what I have going on during the day. If I focussed my day around my bodybuilding goals, it might be a perfect way to go, but now I usually stick with every 3-5 hours.

This only works for guys who have a metabolism to match their appetite, but just about everyone, by the time they reach a certain size, will no longer want to eat the quantity of food necessary to continue gaining muscle.

For those with fast metabolisms, unless they have a huge appetite, weight gain will usually be little to none. For those who have already added an appreciable amount of mass, adhering to this guideline would result in lost mass in most cases--potentially a LOT of lost mass.

I would say this guideline only works optimally for the very small minority and in most cases is limited to either beginners with slow-moderate metabolisms, or if the individual has added appreciable mass, for those with very slow metabolisms.

Anyone who has been around this sport for a while will quickly realize that one of the top complaints of advanced bodybuilders, and even intermediate bodybuilders for that matter, is the quantity of food necessary to not only continue gaining mass, but just to maintain mass.

It would be nice if the body's appetite continued to increase in proportion to mass gains indefinitely, but it just doesn't...not for the overwhelming majority. I have spoken with 100's of guys over the years who have told me how sick they were of eating for bodybuilding. It is by far the toughest aspect of this sport and the one that most often keeps guys from achieving their long-term goals. Anyone can take a bunch of drugs, and most people can train hard and consistently if they really like this sport, but even the most dedicated individuals often struggle with maintaining the type of diet necessary to maximize their genetic potential.

In my case, I wouldn't have gained any weight if I had eaten only when I was hungry. When I first started my metabolism was pretty quick and I had to eat quite a bit just to maintain 167 lbs of bodyweight. If I wouldn't have force-fed right from the start, I wouldn't have gained anything. I know, as I tried for years without any success. It was only after I learned the importance of nutrition and began to eat what was "necessary", rather than what I wanted, that I started adding muscle mass. I had to force-feed for every pound of bodyweight I gained...all 105 of them.

Last edited:
This only works for guys who have a metabolism to match their appetite, but just about everyone, by the time they reach a certain size, will no longer want to eat the quantity of food necessary to continue gaining muscle.

For those with fast metabolisms, unless they have a huge appetite, weight gain will usually be little to none. For those who have already added an appreciable amount of mass, adhering to this guideline would result in lost mass in most cases--potentially a LOT of lost mass.

I would say this guideline only works optimally for the very small minority and in most cases is limited to either beginners with slow-moderate metabolisms, or if the individual has added appreciable mass, for those with very slow metabolisms.

Anyone who has been around this sport for a while will quickly realize that one of the top complaints of advanced bodybuilders, and even intermediate bodybuilders for that matter, is the quantity of food necessary to not only continue gaining mass, but just to maintain mass.

It would be nice if the body's appetite continued to increase in proportion to mass gains indefinitely, but it just doesn't...not for the overwhelming majority. I have spoken with 100's of guys over the years who have told me how sick they were of eating for bodybuilding. It is by far the toughest aspect of this sport and the one that most often keeps guys from achieving their long-term goals. Anyone can take a bunch of drugs, and most people can train hard and consistently if they really like this sport, but even the most dedicated individuals often struggle with maintaining the type of diet necessary to maximize their genetic potential.

In my case, I wouldn't have gained any weight if I had eaten only when I was hungry. When I first started my metabolism was pretty quick and I had to eat quite a bit just to maintain 167 lbs of bodyweight. If I wouldn't have force-fed right from the start, I wouldn't have gained anything. I know, as I tried for years without any success. It was only after I learned the importance of nutrition and began to eat what was "necessary", rather than what I wanted, that I started adding muscle mass. I had to forced-feed for every pound of weight I gained...all 105 of them.

Any tips on making sure the body utilizes the amount of food you have to eat as a bodybuilder? Forcefeeding the body seems to create digestion issues even with ample amount of fiber intake; couple it with the fact that your bloated most of the day makes it hell when trying to grow.

I know a number of obese people that eat every time they are hungry, and skinny people that seem to never get hungry.

Phil is probably in the .001 genetic percentile range of being able to grow very easily. Personaly I never listen too much to the genetic elite...i've talked to guys who had sick genetics and the advice they gave never worked for me and I mean never.

Most of them dont know why they are able to get so big they just can...it's like asking Olympic sprinters how they got so fast...they dont know they were born that way.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws