over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

who uses fruit as a main carb source?

To answer GS....

For a direct answer GS, I would say it also depends on your macro's... eat the watermelon, but within your macro per meal. Like C2- I too remember spending summer days working construction every summer between semester's... can REALLY sap your appetite.

Fruit ONLY- Fruit and glycerine have been my ONLY carb source for 6 months.... LOVE IT (was SO afraid at first... but it works, lost ALOT of fat)... just recently I added ONE day of grains only (and LBA), typically brown rice.

Fructose fear: go to Nutrition facts, calories in food, labels, nutritional information and analysis – NutritionData.com select a couple different fruits and then select the detailed section which gives you a drop down of each specific sugar in that food... there isn't as much fructose as you would think.

I try to have a mixture in my diet. Variety is important to me. But fruit is great. The majority of my carbs are from fruit (most of the time). I may have some oats in the morning. Possibily some rice or pasta with dinner. Sweet pototes are my new fav. I also like multiseed bread. But I would say just over 50% of my carbs come from fruit. My favs are grapefruit, pineapple, apples, blueberries, passion fruit... ok basically every fruit there is.

Some people may want to start replacing most of their carbs with fruit. I completely recommend this. But just like any diet change please give it sufficient time to gauge how it works for you. Trying it for a few weeks is not good enough. Some may encounter minor negative sides in the first few weeks but they should go away... this can also be helped by introducing more fruit gradually into your diets.

I eat quite a bit of fruit . love watermelon in the hot season as it seems to stimulate my appetite. Dieting my fruit intake is very limited and shifts more towards veggies. I remember talking to Porter Cotrell parents years ago
about his food intake.They said he ate a large amount of fresh fruit year round. I know he always looked good.

Maybe I'm just out of date with my nutrition, but man -- fruit + fat in the same meal sends shivers up my spine.

I always try to do [protein + carbs] or [fats + protein] for my meals. If I ever mix [fat + carbs] together liberally, at least on my body, I seem to find it as fat on my body very quickly... Possible that I can start relaxing this way of eating?

i know a few pro bb's that do eat fresh fruit but its mainly an offseason thing. keep in mind fruit stores into liver stores. not muscle. sure u can use fruit as a good preworkout cb source but id rather be eating potatoes and rice myself. also some of u may be all about the low and hi gi levels of food. watermelon is on the higher end of the gi scale. just food for thought

THIS IS NOT TRUE

I can empathize...

Maybe I'm just out of date with my nutrition, but man -- fruit + fat in the same meal sends shivers up my spine.

I always try to do [protein + carbs] or [fats + protein] for my meals. If I ever mix [fat + carbs] together liberally, at least on my body, I seem to find it as fat on my body very quickly... Possible that I can start relaxing this way of eating?

I can TOTALLY relate Silencer... for the past several years whenever I would get serious about my diet I did the same thing- protein/fats, protein/carbs.

BUT, the key word you used was "liberally"... if your macro's are kept "reasonable" or "right" for you, then it should be OK (granted, everyone's different, blah-blah-blah and all that too :D)

i know a few pro bb's that do eat fresh fruit but its mainly an offseason thing. keep in mind fruit stores into liver stores. not muscle. sure u can use fruit as a good preworkout cb source but id rather be eating potatoes and rice myself. also some of u may be all about the low and hi gi levels of food. watermelon is on the higher end of the gi scale. just food for thought

Ya total bs.... some bodybuilding law that has been proliferated throughout the ages... i heard this and looked into it... if I remember correctly fructose has an affinity for replacing liver glycogen faster than glucose but any extra fructose acts (for glycogen replenishment) exactly like glucose.... and fruit has a combination of fructose and glucose...

Oh SNAP!! LMFAO!!

Ya total bs.... some bodybuilding law that has been proliferated throughout the ages... i heard this and looked into it... if I remember correctly fructose has an affinity for replacing liver glycogen faster than glucose but any extra fructose acts (for glycogen replenishment) exactly like glucose.... and fruit has a combination of fructose and glucose...

Yeah, this myth that it does not replace muscle gycogen is crazy. What do people think it will do.........just keep fiiling the liver till it pops?

Yeah, this myth that it does not replace muscle gycogen is crazy. What do people think it will do.........just keep fiiling the liver till it pops?

Amazon Doll -- I think this partly stems from Keto diets, where Lyle McDonald wrote that when you are carbing up (from a completely depleted state) and are trying to reach supercompensation of carbs in your muscles, that fructose preferentially refills liver stores first.

So your first 100-200 grams of carbs on your carb-up would not go towards the supercomp if you are eating a lot of fructose; sucrose and glucose are better for this purpose. If you are carbing up an entire weekend, it doesn't matter, but if you have a limited window, then it might.

But note the very, very specific situation this "liver-fill" applies to...

THIS IS NOT TRUE

Ummmmm which part? the muscle glycogen thing? came out wrong. meant it stores more readily into liver stores. im not knocking itm just not MY preference. isnt that what these boards are for? posting up how things work for u and to see how others respond.

Last edited:
Many people relate fruit to fructose... While this is true to a certain extent, many fruits only contain a small amount of fructose...

ok...

You mean on a calorie surplus? If yes, is this a bad thing? What about a calorie deficient diet? Is this a bad thing? Someone who lifts heavy weights also? Someone on HRT also? Every calorie of the fruit and all fruits?

Ummmmm which part? the muscle glycogen thing? came out wrong. meant it stores more readily into liver stores. im not knocking itm just not MY preference. isnt that what these boards are for? posting up how things work for u and to see how others respond.

We need a Biochemist/nutritionist to speak up... I keep hearing this "fructose stores only in liver as glycogen or converted into a triglycerols, but starches are more readily absorbed as muscle glycogen" If that were to be true why is the actual enzyme fuctioning in the liver Glucokinase work with glucose not fructose.. now I know both isomers can be converted to one another. But why is this this thinking that fructose found in fruit bad? If fruit has a lower glycemic index then starches and other carbohydrates, which means a lessened insulin response and less of a chance to be converted to a triglycerol then why is it such a bad food item?

Most of the glucokinase in a mammal is found in the liver, and glucokinase provides approximately 95% of the hexokinase activity in hepatocytes. Phosphorylation of glucose to glucose-6-phosphate (G6P) by glucokinase is the first step of both glycogen synthesis and glycolysis in the liver.

When ample glucose is available, glycogen synthesis proceeds at the periphery of the hepatocytes until the cells are replete with glycogen. Excess glucose is then increasingly converted into triglycerides for export and storage in adipose tissue. Glucokinase activity in the cytoplasm rises and falls with available glucose.

G6P, the product of glucokinase, is the principal substrate of glycogen synthesis, and glucokinase has a close functional and regulatory association with glycogen synthesis. When maximally active, GK and glycogen synthase appears to be located in the same peripheral areas of hepatocyte cytoplasm in which glycogen synthesis occurs. The supply of G6P affects the rate of glycogen synthesis not only as the primary substrate, but by direct stimulation of glycogen synthase and inhibition of glycogen phosphorylase.

Glucokinase activity can be rapidly amplified or damped in response to changes in the glucose supply, typically resulting from eating and fasting. Regulation occurs at several levels and speeds, and is influenced by many factors which mainly affect two general mechanisms:

Glucokinase activity can be amplified or reduced in minutes by actions of the glucokinase regulatory protein (GKRP). The actions of this protein are influenced by small molecules such as glucose and fructose.
The amount of glucokinase can be increased by synthesis of new protein. Insulin is the principal signal for increased transcription, operating mainly by way of a transcription factor called sterol regulatory element binding protein-1c (SREBP1c). This occurs within an hour after a rise in insulin levels, as after a carbohydrate meal.

Fructose has the lowest Glycaemic Index (G.I. = 19) of all the natural sugars and may be used in moderation by Diabetics. It is recommended that a maximum intake of 25g - 40g per day is adopted, provided that this is counted towards the daily calory count. In comparison, ordinary table sugar (Sucrose) has a GI of 65 and Honey has a GI of 55. Fruit Sugar has the advantage for Diabetics that, being nearly twice as sweet as ordinary sugar if not heat-processed, the daily allowance can be stretched by using less for most applications. Many artificial sweeteners are not suitable for home-baking, but, with a little adjustment, many traditional recipes can be prepared using fructose.

Gooey

Last edited:
Holy shit Gooey , I have a brain cramp now !!

So fruit with a lower GI is best to use as a carb source right?

Currently I'm eating a few apples a day or some strawberries (mellons not ripe yet) with my mid day meals

Oats with breakfast and sweet potatos or brown rice with dinner.
total carbs for the day is about 300 with maybe half of tha comming from fruit.

Holy shit Gooey , I have a brain cramp now !!

So fruit with a lower GI is best to use as a carb source right?

Currently I'm eating a few apples a day or some strawberries (mellons not ripe yet) with my mid day meals

Oats with breakfast and sweet potatos or brown rice with dinner.
total carbs for the day is about 300 with maybe half of tha comming from fruit.

Just wanted to say that your routine looks great to me. Obviously everyone has different goals etc. But your carbs choices are excellent and the way you eat them... I do the same. Although I try to get more variety with my fruit for a number of reasons (mainly enjoyment). I am a fan of all the berries and pineapple is a great food choice imo.

I recently started experimenting with eating fruit and white potatoes as my carb sources. I personally feel better on it. I don't have that gassy bloated feeling I did when eating brown rice and oats all the time. But of course I also try and keep my carbs pretty low all the time.

For just over two weeks now I have been trying to use fruits and vegetables as my only carb source. I have cheated a few times, but for the most part my carbs have been apples, mango, pineapples, berries, or any kind of greens like broccoli and kale.
My energy levels have increased, I feel ready to go after a meal instead of lugged down. When I eat other carbs like potatoes I want to lie down for a while after a big meal. Not so with fruits and veggies.
I am doing it mainly for overall health, but I am sure it will help me burn some fat as well.

I have found that fruit , honey and sweet potatoes are my best sources of carbs , I do thow in some beans from time to time to change it up and they seem to do ok , i also found that white rice digest pretty easy for me so post workout im gonna start eating a cup of white rice with a couple tablespoons of natural fruit jelly or some honey

I've been using fruit as my primary carb source for some time now. Thanks Phil!! I feel better, and it is easier to pack a buch of bananas, apples, pears etc in the cooler with my eggs, beef and chicken!
Now if my bank would put out fresh fruit instead of fresh baked chocolate chip cookies I'd be able to say that's all I ate for carbs! I find a reason to go to the bank almost everyday :D

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131