YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Who/What has had the most positive impact in your life?

thethinker48

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
Was it a parent or mentor? or thing (like a book, or habit).

For me it was my dad. Very simple guy, 5'2, 130 lbs, lifetime of chronic illnesses (HF, CKD) but never once complained about anything. No real concept of materialism, or maintaining any sort of social status, would say whatever he thought about to everybody. Never saw the guy hung up about anything, only thing that worried him was providing for our family. Started off as a typewriter at a law firm overseas, and worked there for 45 years, retiring as a partner. Would be interested in what everyone had to say, and nobody that knew him had anything bad to say about him.

Doubt I'll ever live up to that, but it gives a model to work towards in life.

Thought it'd be a decent topic to discuss given the crowd and experience on this forum. Introspection is one of the few benefits of this quarantine.

My dad for sure. Strongest person I know. He was always my super hero. Taught me so much growing up. Building stuff, working on trucks and equipment, and life lessons. He never had much and I’ve never once heard him complain. The definition of a true man in my eyes.

While my parents certainly had a positive impact in providing the model for what a man should be it was/is my children that actually had the greatest impact on becoming the man I am and will be in the future.

My father won state powerlifting meet when he was young and continues to train even to this day at 78+ years old, and trained me when I was middle and high school age, so from a lifting perspective without a doubt him. He is also a wonderful father and husband so he set a great example in many ways. Unfortunately outside of lifting I did not follow his example well.

It was not until answering the call of Christ that I started to become a man. He has renovated every part of my life, I am a better son, husband, father, friend, you name it. I am still nothing special, as I read about many of you I pale in comparison when it comes to accomplishments in and out of the gym, and I do not reflect well my Lord. This is probably my biggest regret and deepest desire, that I would just be well pleasing to Him. And yet as much as I fail, He is like a father who cherishes the stick figure drawings of his children not because the drawings are anything but because they are from his kids. I am thankful that He looks upon me and my humble efforts that way.

I apologize if this breaks rules, moderators remove if necessary.

My grandfather, on my mother's side.

My parents divorced when I was 4. My grandfather assumed the primary father figure role.

He was a classic: WW2 Pacific vet, served on a carrier. Returned to the US and became an educator. Always giving back to the community.

He taught me my values and the importance of hardwork, loyalty, honesty, responsibility, and integrity.

my grandfather and the gym/competing. if you can eat food you dont want to eat and put your body through lifting weights/cardio. i can do anything. the gym taught me time management and whatever you put in is what you get out if it. once you relay that to life things get alot easier

1) My mom and dad
2) hundreds of people from different cultures all over the world showing just how damn good most of us have it in life

Current girlfriend. Made me not hate 100% of women and not want to drug myself to death low key Tbh.

My maternal Granddaddy was my Father figure most of early life.

My "Dad" is my stepdad but raised me and although it started off really rocky he's a huge piece of who I am. My father and I are cool now but he had a lot of his own issues to work through.

My wife though truly changed me. Almost 19 years together in a profession that most marriages end within 5 years. I consider her a blessing from G-D.

For me it was my diagnosis of Type 1 Diabetes. Sounds odd but hear me out.

Growing up I was obese. Very unhealthy. At the age of 18 I had "alarmingly high cholesterol and blood pressure." Following the same path of heart disease as the other men in my family.

When I was diagnosed at the age of 15, at first I didn't get it. I still ate like crap, got even fatter, health got worse.

Like I said, at 18 my doctor was concerned and she prescribed me a statin and BP meds....I thought to myself. "Wow...I am way to young to need meds like this!" "I refuse to live like the other men in my family."

That was when I started looking into losing weight, eating better, and bodybuilding. I lost 80lbs or so that first year. Got my diabetes under control. To the point my A1C was that of a non diabetic.

I remember I had a follow up appointment with my doctor. She goes "Wow! Diabetic or not, I do not see cholesterol levels this good! And you blood pressure looks great! I guess the prescriptions are working as planned."

I told her "Actually, I never filled the prescription. I lost weight, exercised, and studied nutrition. I found a way to eat to keep my sugars good and everything else health wise followed."

So...My diabetes...While it can be seen as a negative and something I will be dealing with for the rest of my life. I see it as a blessing in disguise. If I were never diagnosed, I never would have adopted a healthy lifestyle and found bodybuilding. I would be 300+ pounds, on my way to or have had a heart attack by now. This goes even deeper...the emotional and depression side. But if it wasn't for diabetes, I would be where I am today.

Attachments

• transform.jpg
    transform.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 40
For me it was my diagnosis of Type 1 Diabetes. Sounds odd but hear me out.

Growing up I was obese. Very unhealthy. At the age of 18 I had "alarmingly high cholesterol and blood pressure." Following the same path of heart disease as the other men in my family.

When I was diagnosed at the age of 15, at first I didn't get it. I still ate like crap, got even fatter, health got worse.

Like I said, at 18 my doctor was concerned and she prescribed me a statin and BP meds....I thought to myself. "Wow...I am way to young to need meds like this!" "I refuse to live like the other men in my family."

That was when I started looking into losing weight, eating better, and bodybuilding. I lost 80lbs or so that first year. Got my diabetes under control. To the point my A1C was that of a non diabetic.

I remember I had a follow up appointment with my doctor. She goes "Wow! Diabetic or not, I do not see cholesterol levels this good! And you blood pressure looks great! I guess the prescriptions are working as planned."

I told her "Actually, I never filled the prescription. I lost weight, exercised, and studied nutrition. I found a way to eat to keep my sugars good and everything else health wise followed."

So...My diabetes...While it can be seen as a negative and something I will be dealing with for the rest of my life. I see it as a blessing in disguise. If I were never diagnosed, I never would have adopted a healthy lifestyle and found bodybuilding. I would be 300+ pounds, on my way to or have had a heart attack by now. This goes even deeper...the emotional and depression side. But if it wasn't for diabetes, I would be where I am today.
Great transformation! Do you have much excess skin anywhere? In the last photo everything looks really tight. Maybe the excess skin is only a problem when you get older and have been heavy a long time? Ive lost a lot of muscle because of my heart attack and now my arms have lose skin, that sucks. Its not really bad but I know its there.

Parents obviously.

But then, 2 football coaches that figured out the ultimate motivation for me. As well as a former boss of mine, my mentor.
Those 3 guys were able to bring something out of my work/sports that no one could. Profound impact on my life and how i view hard work and success.

That is such a tough question for me to answer without writing a lengthy essay.

There are so many people, places, books and activities that have had a positive,
influential impact on me it would take me very long time to think of them all,
let alone acknowledge them. But for sure, I must start with my parents. Then
there were a few teachers in grammar and high school (nobody comes to mind
in college). Most of the people I ‘hung’ out when I was maturing were much much
older than me; my contemporaries bored me, not enough life experience. And
certainly my Sensei and Arthur Jones, both of which I spent lot of time with.
Books (some I reread) and magazines; no particular one comes to mind, there
were so many over such a long period of time but they did a lot to open my mind
and give me some perspective as did great art and music which still influence me
to this day. Travel, spending time in other cultures certainly had a huge impact on
me, especially the time I spent in East Africa. Weight training, martial arts, rock
climbing, photography, meditation and many whole host of other things I have
done in my life out of curiosity I think have given me discipline, focus, and allowed
me to be a bit creative and find some semblance of peace and tolerance as fleeting
as it is.

Knowing when to stop is something I am still trying to learn ;)

Grand daddy, Loved to take me surf fishing Ocean City Maryland. Assateague Island.

Grand daddy, Loved to take me surf fishing Ocean City Maryland. Assateague Island.
I loved mine too. Don't you wish that you could somehow travel back in time as an adult like you are now and be with your Grand daddy. I called mine that too. He was awesome but died when I was really young.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear