over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Why is FDA going after NAC?

Idk why everyone is freaking out. It says the FDA has been going after NAC since 2010 in the link I posted

Idk why everyone is freaking out. It says the FDA has been going after NAC since 2010 in the link I posted
hysteria is easily generated when the information that is brought to the masses collectively is a bit concerning and alarming

hysteria is easily generated when the information that is brought to the masses collectively is a bit concerning and alarming
The masses overreact from fear all the time that causes them to misinterpret the facts.

Seems to be on sale at various sites.

They did the same shit with GHB. You could buy it in GNC and other health food stores. Then DEA Called it a date rape drug that had no medical use. Each cap became a felony. A year later, it was a prescription drug for narcolepsy.

They did the same shit with GHB. You could buy it in GNC and other health food stores. Then DEA Called it a date rape drug that had no medical use. Each cap became a felony. A year later, it was a prescription drug for narcolepsy.
Sodium oxybate i

I don’t think you can compare a drug that was classified under the “date - rape drug prohibition act” to NAC. Which has been available for years with no clear safety issues. FDA is going after NAC. Not the DEA

Last edited:
I don’t think you can compare a drug that was classified under the “date - rape drug prohibition act” to NAC. Which has been available for years with no clear safety issues. FDA is going after NAC. Not the DEA
You are correct. It is like comparing apples to oranges, but if something actually works and Big Pharma can make money or even possibly lose money. It will be banned.

Similar thing happened years ago with red yeast rice when people were using it has a cost effective approach as a statin because of Monacolin K. It's similar to the cholesterol lowering Medication Lovastatin.

Apparently that cut into statin profits. After all sickness is a business.

Similar thing happened years ago with red yeast rice when people were using it has a cost effective approach as a statin because of Monacolin K. It's similar to the cholesterol lowering Medication Lovastatin.

Apparently that cut into statin profits. After all sickness is a business.
Red yeast had safety issues ice as rhabdomyolysis, myopathy, & liver toxicity. It had high risk drug interactions with commonly prescribed medications. It was unregulated and some sellers contained high amounts of citrinin which can cause kidney failure, and genetic damage in human cells.

Not saying the ban was right. NAC has no safety issues and was used in USA for decades longer.

You are correct. It is like comparing apples to oranges, but if something actually works and Big Pharma can make money or even possibly lose money. It will be banned.
If that’s the case every time why is fish oil, vitamin k, potassium, etc still sold over the counter. Way more people take those then NAC.

If that’s the case every time why is fish oil, vitamin k, potassium, etc still sold over the counter. Way more people take those then NAC.

those are pretty different then nac.

nac can keep you from getting sick, it can also help you to get better if you are sick, and, if can be used to treat a number of things that otherwise would use drugs. like lung issues, particularly in childeren. the drugs weaken the immune system, nac makes it stronger.

pc can and is ussed for bp but i think the ppl who do that go the rx route not the sup route.

vit k isnt as broad in health terms and pretty sure there is much more possative info on nac.
to me fish oil is liek eh, sometimes it maybe kinda sorta could help but in a small way that prob other stuff can do.

if there is one thing that you can tell a normal person to take to help with health, to me its nac. before a multi before anything, nac is a good bang for buck sup that does a lot.

those are pretty different then nac.

nac can keep you from getting sick, it can also help you to get better if you are sick, and, if can be used to treat a number of things that otherwise would use drugs. like lung issues, particularly in childeren. the drugs weaken the immune system, nac makes it stronger.

pc can and is ussed for bp but i think the ppl who do that go the rx route not the sup route.

vit k isnt as broad in health terms and pretty sure there is much more possative info on nac.
to me fish oil is liek eh, sometimes it maybe kinda sorta could help but in a small way that prob other stuff can do.

if there is one thing that you can tell a normal person to take to help with health, to me its nac. before a multi before anything, nac is a good bang for buck sup that does a lot.
The people fighting to keep it legal would disagree with you. ”NAC is one of the supplements that have dual use as drug and supplement, as do fish oil, niacin, potassium, etc., that also have prescription forms,”

I am well aware of how NAC responds in the human body and it’s uses.

Im also not sure why this board prefers NAC over glutathione. Cost? Easier to get?

Every chemical is different unless it’s in the same class. The only leg the FDA has to stand on is that they classified it as a drug in 1963.

You’ve been on this board for awhile. What happened in 2010 when the FDA started enforcement of banning NAC?

1. NAC is already a prescription drug it's called Muco Mist. It is an inhaled preparation via nebulizer for the treatment of thick tenacious secretions that are hard to clear from the respiratory tract. Its clinical effectiveness is dubious but I have seen great results in some PT's and jack squat in others. It makes the entire room and hallway smell like rotten eggs, it is NOT a patient favorite lol.

2. If it was sold prior to 1994 in the USA as a supplement it would be grandfathered in via the DSHEA act of 1994. This is why we have vitamin d supplements OTC and a prescription version.

3. Amazon will not stand up for any supplement as NO one supplement represents enough revenue to them to fight for it. If you notice they do not sell anything remotely gray area, not that NAC is, but they are overly cautious when it comes to regulations.

4. STOP BUYING FROM AMAZON and support a supplement seller who gives a damn about your rights.

5. Worst case scenario we all start buying "not for human consumption" "research-grade NAC" as even if they passed legislation to officially pull NAC they would not schedule it as a controlled substance.

If this is just about Amazon then I would sweat it too much, just like total said no one supplement or one product in general is worth any trouble to Amazon.

IMO this has nothing to do with them "wanting to keep us sick." Also nothing to do with "pharmaceutical industry losing money." NAC is not a competitor to any drug out there. Not even the Rx NAC preparations because the patients who get it prescribed won't all go purchase non-Rx version. The do what the doctor says.

This is just a "rules and regulations" thing the slavishly follow. What totalrecomp talks about.

1. NAC is already a prescription drug it's called Muco Mist. It is an inhaled preparation via nebulizer for the treatment of thick tenacious secretions that are hard to clear from the respiratory tract. Its clinical effectiveness is dubious but I have seen great results in some PT's and jack squat in others. It makes the entire room and hallway smell like rotten eggs, it is NOT a patient favorite lol.

2. If it was sold prior to 1994 in the USA as a supplement it would be grandfathered in via the DSHEA act of 1994. This is why we have vitamin d supplements OTC and a prescription version.

3. Amazon will not stand up for any supplement as NO one supplement represents enough revenue to them to fight for it. If you notice they do not sell anything remotely gray area, not that NAC is, but they are overly cautious when it comes to regulations.

4. STOP BUYING FROM AMAZON and support a supplement seller who gives a damn about your rights.

5. Worst case scenario we all start buying "not for human consumption" "research-grade NAC" as even if they passed legislation to officially pull NAC they would not schedule it as a controlled substance.
  1. There are actually 3 prescriptions for NAC. Oral, IV, and inhaled. And there is a pending patent with NAC and Cinamomum Cassia for Covid-19 treatment.
  2. I wish it was that simple. The council of responsible nutrition and FDA and still in litigation.
  3. I think there is more to it than just regulations. Amazon is actively trying to get government contracts. I think being in a legal battle with the FDA would be counterproductive as they are already suing the pentagon.
  4. Yes, stop buying from amazon.
  5. I don't see it going that route.
  6. No one in this thread seems to care that the FDA started NAC enforcement in 2010.

Of course they want to pull it...it’s otc & it works. Big Pharma wants you to go to the doctors & get prescription meds so you they can profit. Yes....FK86 & Muay Thai are right because Big Pharma don’t profit off of healthy people, but they do off of sick & unhealthy people.

**EDIT** - DON'T STEER THE THREAD IN THAT DIRECTION!
Same reason we’ll never see a cure for diabetes....just different types of treatment

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • MikeS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads