advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

why is Selegiline (aka deprenyl) sold as a research chem on websites for meatheads?

kidstuff

Registered
guys,

quick question.

ok, we all know of these websites that sell liquid research chemicals for us bodybuilders to do uh.. research. obviously things like liquid nolva, and a-dex, and clen, and other stuff neccessary to the bodybuilders arsenal...

but why.....

why do i keep seeing this research chem come up on several sites designed for bodybuilding research..

deprenyl aka Selegiline....

aparantly it is an MAO-B inhibitor, basically as i understand it the body makes MAO-B breaks down dopamine and phenylethylamine (sp?) in the body, so an inhibitor would obviously make it so that there are higher levels of these chemicals floating around... ok, ok... big deal, so this thing is basically an anti-depressent.....so what?

so why do research websites sell it? why don't they sell research prozac or zoloft or other typical anti-depressents if its relevant for meathead research?

anyone get me?

if this is for any reason inappropraite, sorry in advance to the mods and admin.

thanks all.

Last edited:
Selegiline, aka deprenyl is unique among MAO inhibitors in that it selectively inhibits MAO-B (up to a certain dosage). MAO-A is responsible for breaking down tyramine, an amino acid which is found in high amounts in certain smoked meats, fermented cheese, and red wine and can cause hypertension if levels get too high. In other non-selective MAOI's, this negative side effect is called "the cheese reaction". By selectively inhibitng MAO-B, selegiline is proven to increase synaptic dopamine and PEA (phenethylamine) levels, without causing the negative reaction from high tyramine levels. It is touted as an anti-aging drug with neuroprotective and slight cognitive enhancement properties and can improve mood. It is also used concomitantly with L-Dopa therapy in the treatment of Parkinson's disease.

Good question and an even better answer the first time around.
Great job guys, to both of you!

Definitely something I didnt know.

AND it metabolizes into methadrine and so gives a speedy high without most of the amphetamine sides.

ANGEL

This is an excellent post / answer. 6.8SPC what is your background?

Boo

Selegiline, aka deprenyl is unique among MAO inhibitors in that it selectively inhibits MAO-B (up to a certain dosage). MAO-A is responsible for breaking down tyramine, an amino acid which is found in high amounts in certain smoked meats, fermented cheese, and red wine and can cause hypertension if levels get too high. In other non-selective MAOI's, this negative side effect is called "the cheese reaction". By selectively inhibitng MAO-B, selegiline is proven to increase synaptic dopamine and PEA (phenethylamine) levels, without causing the negative reaction from high tyramine levels. It is touted as an anti-aging drug with neuroprotective and slight cognitive enhancement properties and can improve mood. It is also used concomitantly with L-Dopa therapy in the treatment of Parkinson's disease.

This is an excellent post / answer. 6.8SPC what is your background?

Boo

Thank you, Boo and Jerkyboy, for the kind words. My father had Parkinson's disease. Around 2005 it progressed to the point of him not being able to work anymore and he was hospitalized for several weeks. I felt he was getting mediocre medical care (the standard knee-jerk L-Dopa therapy) and that there were newer more effective treatments. I began researching other drugs which could potentially help his symptoms and selegiline was one that showed much promise. It actually reduced the shaking, improved his balance allowing him to walk without a walker, and lessened his dependence on L-dopa. I did everything I could to help him but unforunatley he passed away in his sleep in June of 2006. :( I now take 1mg per day of selegiline (three months on, one off) as a preventitive due to the high occurrence of neurological disorders in my family.

It is being used these days not only for it's cognitive benefits, but also to suppress prolactin levels. People are taking it with tren and other progestins to ward off puffy nipples. This may also elevate sex drive for some users, varies.

The negative in using it is that it can sometimes show up as amphetamine on some drug screens.

BMJ

It is being used these days not only for it's cognitive benefits, but also to suppress prolactin levels. People are taking it with tren and other progestins to ward off puffy nipples. This may also elevate sex drive for some users, varies.

The negative in using it is that it can sometimes show up as amphetamine on some drug screens.

BMJ

You are correct about false positives as it does convert to amphetamine and methampetamine(see abstract below), but I think you're confusing selegiline (deprenyl, eldepryl) with cabergoline (dostinex). To my knowledge seleg. does not directly or effectively inhibit prolactin.

(From: selegiline.com)

Yasar S, Goldberg JP, Goldberg SR
Department of Anesthesiology
and Critical Care Medicine,
Johns Hopkins University,
Medical School,
Baltimore, MD, USA.
J Neural Transm Suppl 1996; 48:61-7

ABSTRACT
A frequent topic of controversy has been whether metabolism of l-deprenyl (selegiline) to active metabolites is a detriment to clinical use. This paper reviews possible roles of the metabolites of l-deprenyl in producing unwanted adverse side effects or in augmenting or mediating its clinically useful actions. Levels of l-amphetamine and l-methamphetamine likely to be reached, even with excessive intake of l-deprenyl, would be unlikely to produce neurotoxicity and there is no preclinical or clinical evidence of abuse liability of l-deprenyl. In contrast, there is evidence that l-amphetamine and l-methamphetamine have some qualitatively different actions than their d-isomer counterparts on EEG and cognitive functioning which might result in beneficial clinical effects and complement beneficial clinical actions of l-deprenyl itself.

guys,

thank you for the discourse. however, i feel that my question has not really been answered. we know what deprynl is and what it is used for, however it is still not clear why it is marketed to bodybuilders on sites that sell ancillery's like anti-estrogens and fat loss drugs. unless what was said about it also inhibiting prolactin is true... which i sounds like it may have some validity considering that dopamine and prolactin both bind to the same receptors, so if more dopamine is occuyping the receptor less prolactin can bind. i'm just speaking from a laymans perspective and may be way off base.

last thing, i know this is a sensative issue, but i believe that some may be stacking this with things like PEA that are marketed as brain supps. because PEA is quickly metabolized by mao-b, deprynl may act as something that allows PEA to perform its function better. this may be consider as recreational use, if indeed PEA causes euphoric feelings like the science claims. i personally never tried it, but i have read reviews on supplement sites with buys claiming this effect.

personally, i love the use of nootropics (like phenibut which i highly reccommend). they never produce a "high" or dependence but you definetly feel something going on... feeling of well being, more sociable, less anxiety, mental sharpness.

i would consider giving PEA and deprynl a go around just to see how it affects me. again i'm not looking for a high here... just responsible usage of whats available.

You are correct about false positives as it does convert to amphetamine and methampetamine(see abstract below), but I think you're confusing selegiline (deprenyl, eldepryl) with cabergoline (dostinex). To my knowledge seleg. does not directly or effectively inhibit prolactin.

(From: selegiline.com)

Yasar S, Goldberg JP, Goldberg SR
Department of Anesthesiology
and Critical Care Medicine,
Johns Hopkins University,
Medical School,
Baltimore, MD, USA.
J Neural Transm Suppl 1996; 48:61-7

ABSTRACT
A frequent topic of controversy has been whether metabolism of l-deprenyl (selegiline) to active metabolites is a detriment to clinical use. This paper reviews possible roles of the metabolites of l-deprenyl in producing unwanted adverse side effects or in augmenting or mediating its clinically useful actions. Levels of l-amphetamine and l-methamphetamine likely to be reached, even with excessive intake of l-deprenyl, would be unlikely to produce neurotoxicity and there is no preclinical or clinical evidence of abuse liability of l-deprenyl. In contrast, there is evidence that l-amphetamine and l-methamphetamine have some qualitatively different actions than their d-isomer counterparts on EEG and cognitive functioning which might result in beneficial clinical effects and complement beneficial clinical actions of l-deprenyl itself.

No definately talking about Selegiline. Through its maoi-b inhibition, it increases the level of dopamine in the brain (which suppresses prolactin).

Here are 2 studies I just quickly pulled up, but there are others:

Clin Neuropharmacol. 2003 Jul-Aug;26(4):193-5. Links
Selegiline in the treatment of sexual dysfunction in schizophrenic patients maintained on neuroleptics: a pilot study.Kodesh A, Weizman A, Aizenberg D, Hermesh H, Gelkopf M, Zemishlany Z.
Lev Hasharon Mental Health Medical Center, Pardessiya, Israel.

A double-blind, placebo-controlled crossover study was undertaken in 10 neuroleptic-treated male schizophrenic outpatients to assess the effect of coadministration of selegiline 15 mg/day for 3 weeks on their sexual dysfunction. Selegiline was not found to be effective in improving any domain of sexual functioning despite a significant decrease in prolactin levels (P < 0.05). This study emphasizes the complex nature of sexual dysfunction in schizophrenic-treated patients and the need for placebo-controlled trials for this condition.

Pharmacopsychiatria. 1983 Sep;16(5):143-6. Links
An early phase II trial with L-deprenyl for the treatment of neuroleptic-induced parkinsonism.Perenyi A, Bagdy G, Arato M.

The effect of L-deprenyl on neuroleptic-induced parkinsonism was evaluated in eleven patients. No significant improvement was observed during the treatment with L-deprenyl in the overall assessment. Four patients, however, were considered responders as their total scores on the modified version of Neurological Rating Scale decreased by at least 50%. No somatic or mental complications were observed during the study. The pretreatment platelet monoamine oxidase activity of the responders was slightly but not significantly higher than that of the non-responders. The plasma prolactin (PRL) levels of the patients with high pretreatment levels decreased significantly during the administration of L-deprenyl.

BMJ

I Learn Something New

Everyday! I stand corrected on this one. Good one BMJ.

I did PEA and Selig together and it was
just like any strong speed. It was more hyper than amphetamines. No fun. I don't reccomend. There is OD potential here. Be careful with your animal. You don't want to kill it!

ANGEL

thank you for the discourse. however, i feel that my question has not really been answered. we know what deprynl is and what it is used for, however it is still not clear why it is marketed to bodybuilders on sites that sell ancillery's like anti-estrogens and fat loss drugs. unless what was said about it also inhibiting prolactin is true... which i sounds like it may have some validity considering that dopamine and prolactin both bind to the same receptors, so if more dopamine is occuyping the receptor less prolactin can bind. i'm just speaking from a laymans perspective and may be way off base.

personally, i love the use of nootropics (like phenibut which i highly reccommend). they never produce a "high" or dependence but you definetly feel something going on... feeling of well being, more sociable, less anxiety, mental sharpness.
Yes that's the reason it's sold to bodybuilders. Personally I wouldn't use the dopaminergics for gyno, especially not as a preventative measure.

Phenibut definitely causes physical dependence. Very quickly too, IMO, if used daily.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Itisisaysme510
NapsGear