advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Why the sudden hate for overhead pressing?

I think it varies by how ur built

If u stand 2 guys sideways in mirror, I have seen significant variance in WHERE the center of shoulder socket sits.

Some bros have shoulders toward the chest, with resultant back-dominant build and comparitive narrow area for pecs. These guys are ripping their arms out of the socket to lift behind the neck presses and I first noticed it when I kept seeing a good friend of mine (built this way) hitting bak of his head on up-presses.

Im built the reverse: shoulder joints towards rear, large area for pecs, smaller back. In my case, behind the neck presses are way more natural, and I DONT smack th back of my head on up-press. Its a more natural lift for me, so I like overhead presses, and even prefer them behind the neck.

I think it could be in how we are each built... jmho, GND

military press is the only way to get gigantic shoulders. lateral raises only put the finishing wax on the car.... If your shoulders hurt, Fuck it! keep hittin it until you have no more shoulder left, have surgery, and get back to it!

Only way to get big shoulders, that dense looking delt

Shoulder presses seemed to be the only thing that helped my lacking shoulders. Lateral raises never seemed to do too much for me. I'm tall with narrow shoulders anyway. My shoulder presses have seemed to get pretty strong the past 3 months with the juggernaut program I been doing. Incline bench seemed to work really well for my shoulders too.

I have always believed that overhead pressing be it bar or dumbell is responsible for the majority of shoulder mass.

If you look back to the 50's all they did was military press in various forms and were all barn door wide.

It seems lately people just now see it as a shoulder wrecker and the only safe movement is lateral raises

Can you guys really say that your getting cannonball delta from laterals alone??

Thoughts??

Its been a staple in my training for many years and will always continue to be. I have NEVER had any shoulder injuries ever. I use a strict controlled form and love these for shoulder size and shoulders are by far my best bodypart(s)

i have a frame that delts are my most responsive bodypart. no reason to train them directly (which is what a delt press does imo). they get worked enough in chest presses. so laterals and some upright row with pseudo wide grip gets it done. biggest they ever been and most symmetrical was when i abandoned delt presses of any kind.
(i also consider incline bench press a delt press with chest the secondary muscle group to do the lifting. again this is based on my skeleton and 80% or more of people i have helped:))
-JS

It's fine IMO when you're younger, but it will eventually wear down on your joints to the point where there is too much damage and doing them is not feasible. I still do them but also rotate with incline bench which still hits the delts, yet it's easier on my shoulders. Also, you get a lot of front delt work with pressing movements on chest day, so high volume/work for overhead pressing is not necessary IMO. I usually only do 5 working sets of overhead pressing on shoulder day and it's plenty for me. Then again I'm very shoulder dominant and they are far bigger than my chest.

well said

Two reasons I think most people don't do it:
1. It's friggin hard
2. People can't do a ton of weight (humbling)

If you want to be strong and have good looking shoulders, suck it the fuck up and put weights over your head in what ever fashion you can. It should be as much of a staple in your routine as squats, deadlifts, or benching. Quite literally I bet if you did nothing but squats, deads, ohp, bench, and rows you would be strong as fuck and look awesome.
that's exactly what it is IMO. Also if you don't use more weight that what your body can handle and use proper form then it's not logical to assume it will tear your joints up.

My opinion on the matter...

Last edited:
You are a pussy bodybuilder if you dont do behind neck presses all the way down until the bar touches your traps NOT :eek:

I'd be willing to bet money that the guys who do mainly laterals for their delt development have bigger/rounder delts than the guys who do heavy overhead presses. Not just because one is superior to the other. But guys who have a better mind/muscle connection tend to gravitate this direction and never turn back.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws