over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Why you should not take statins.

my take on statins

I have zero axes to grind on statins. To be transparent, I have been on them
and am now off them now post coronary calcium scan, which I scored zero,
stainless steel tubing :) . That was the agreement we made. If my scan results
were good, my doc felt it safe to get off them. Now, on the other hand, my
cardiologist, who I just saw, after seeing my elevated cholesterol, and my
asking if I he would put me on a statin, he unequivocally said yes. But . . . now
here is the rub . . . my cholesterol was climbing over time which in retrospect
was due, we now believe, to a medication I was on at the time, a side effect
being elevated cholesterol. (I told them, not vice versa, be your own best
health advocate.) Am off that med now for that very reason. I will get checked
out again in 6 months with my ‘lifestyle’ on-point, as always, and go from there.
It will be interesting.

So many things / factors go into prescribing statins. I don’t think a blanket
statement that they are bad for you is necessarily correct and a safe thing
to say. I believe they have saved more lives than they have destroyed.

If prescribed by your doc, for valid and verifiable reasons, then I would
take them. I think the good they can possibly do outweighs the possible
risks / side effects.

BTW . . . “The statins that reduce cholesterol have a habit of sending liver tests
awry.” This is from a book I just read and highly recommend, Adventures in Human
Being by Gavin Francis, MD. Just a wonderful, informative and not boring book
on the human body (parts). Check it out.

I am only one person but the 10 years I have been on pravastatin my liver levels have not been high once, never. I get them checked 3-4 times a year. just throwing it out there

Statins work by preventing the liver from making cholesterol. As a result, liver returns the sugar to our bloodstream, which raises our blood sugar levels. These drugs rob our body of certain valuable nutrients, which can also impact our blood sugar levels.

Statins work by preventing the liver from making cholesterol. As a result, liver returns the sugar to our bloodstream, which raises our blood sugar levels. These drugs rob our body of certain valuable nutrients, which can also impact our blood sugar levels.

Really? My doctor prescribed me pravastatin and i am type 1 diabetic so i doubt your post is true.

Really? My doctor prescribed me pravastatin and i am type 1 diabetic so i doubt your post is true.

Actually some do by means of limiting the biosynthesis of cholesterol via HMG-CoA reductase.

The following isn't directed towards you, get it in :)

As for statin induced myopathy (rhabdomyolysis), not everyone is inflicted with this, as it's relative too the individuals variant of a gene called SLCO1B1 and the trait(s) they carry.

Personally if I was on a statin, I would pay close attention to my microbiota/microbiome. In other words, don't eat a bunch of garbage that can influence how effectively one's statin works.

Last edited:
Actually some do by means of limiting the biosynthesis of cholesterol via HMG-CoA reductase.

The following isn't directed towards you, get it in :)

As for statin induced myopathy (rhabdomyolysis), not everyone is inflicted with this, as it's relative too the individuals variant of a gene called SLCO1B1 and the trait(s) they carry.

Personally if I was on a statin, I would pay close attention to my microbiota/microbiome. In other words, don't eat a bunch of garbage that can influence how effectively one's statin works.

uhh isnt the whole point of being on a statin so you can still eat a bunch of garbage and still have awesome total cholesterol levels... sure have two donuts your on a statin! :rolleyes:

Omg this thread is full of crap. Statins don't just lower cholesterol, they cleanse your arteries of plaque which leads to cardiovascular disease. As far as total cholesterol numbers go, anything above 200 is indicative of plaque build up.

For some reason statins receive such disdain that they don't deserve. They are so safe they should be put in the waster along with fluoride.

Yes, working out, eating healthy fats, nuts, taking garlic, turmeric and hawthorn will also help reduce plaque but some people genetically are predisposed to heart condition.

Let's just try and be responsible before we start talking people off of statins that truly need them.

Yes big pharma is evil. But pick your spots. Unless you can talk your 65 yr old dad onto trt and a Keto diet, statins are going to be his only choice.

Everybody knows the fountain of youth is working out and eating healthy but very few choose to listen. Just go to Walmart and take a look around. Shit, go to your doctors office. Every nurse is probably over weight.

Face it, medications become a necessary evil when people can't even go for a 30 minute walk everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brand new non-statin here, Praluent. I feel like a big pharma lab rat.

My doc has had me on Praluent for 11 months now, my lipids look great as a result but I have experienced what I feel is localized bodyfat increase at the injection site and have had some itching skin rash issues at different places on my body since August. Also seem to have more brain fog than usual. He also has me on Carvadilol, Lisinopril and Brilinta. Maybe Stewie and gotgame can chime in here?

My doc has had me on Praluent for 11 months now, my lipids look great as a result but I have experienced what I feel is localized bodyfat increase at the injection site and have had some itching skin rash issues at different places on my body since August. Also seem to have more brain fog than usual. He also has me on Carvadilol, Lisinopril and Brilinta. Maybe Stewie and gotgame can chime in here?
Cognitive decline can be a concern with anything that significantly lowers cholesterol. I have not really seen it, paranoid about it though. I second guess anytime I forget something or can't recall. I'm on the lower 75mg dose.

The body fat thing sounds unlikely to me. We're talking about 2 injections a month around the belly button. This is a fat prone area anyway. I've seen zero mention of a side like this in any of the literature. But localized injection site irritation is mentioned and possible albeit transient. Overall I've been pleased...as long as I don't get liver tumors in 10 years, lol. Shit is so new it makes me nervous.

I don't want to say your doctor is doing it wrong, but the indications for praluent are "adjunct to diet and maximally tolerated statin therapy for the treatment of adults with heterozygous familial hypercholesterolemia or clinical atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease who require additional lowering of LDL."

This comes directly from the clinical data. It's not recommended as first-line treatment. It's supposed to be when statins aren't enough, or when statins are unable to be tolerated.

So the question you need to ask yourself / your doc is: why aren't you on a statin at max dose?

How long ago were you put on the carvedilol? Has your dosage been upped recently? This stands out to me as the drug most likely to be giving you brain fog.

Edit: the skin rashes indicated hypersensitivity, which you're supposed to be monitored for. Have you talked to your doc about these? It's not a common effect. Injection site irritation is. Rashes? No.

Last edited:
I'm curious why all of you guys need statins? Is it because of high cholesterol readings? Or have your artieries already been confirmed to have significant plague build up?

Do statins actually get rid of plague that is already built up?

Last edited:
I'm curious why all of you guys need statins? Is it because of high cholesterol readings? Or have your artieries already been confirmed to have significant plague build up?

Do statins actually get rid of plague that is already built up?

Statins transform plaques into a stable type. Think of it as like boiling a raw egg...if you break the shell it wont leak out.

Statins can prevent the accumulation of new plaques and by doing that if you have a good diet and cardio etc with a good HDL over time your body can reverse the plaques that have deposited. Most ppl dont do the latter though although i have seen in done.

Statins can also decrease endothelial inflammation which has multiple benefits. That is what one study is looking at but on paper i believe it to be good therefore I am taking a statin.

Steroids trash your lipids and greatly increase endothelial inflammation and increase plaque accumulation. This is bad.. but taking something that can hopefully prevent some of this is automatically a bad thing for some ppl for reasons I dont know why.

Ppl will believe what they want. And honestly i am perfectly ok with that.. as long as its an informed decision. I am honestly ok if someone chooses not to get a vaccine IF they truely understand how the immune system works, how a vaccine works, are able to independently interpret the study data,understand epidemiology and some basic biostats. They dont need to know all of medicine but if they can make an truely informed educated opinion then by all means i support your decision even if i dont agree with it.

This is the problem i have with the internet gurus as times... they only get 5% of the puzzle but they dont understand its only 5%.. meaning they know too little to even know how little they know.

For someone to have an informed opinion on statins they should know the basic biochemistry behind cholesterol synthesis., different types of cholesterol and how they are made and the functions they play, how plaque is formed and the risks associated with plaque formation. VERY basic stuff. From there one needs to understand what steroids do to plaque formation and effect androgens have on endothelium.

All basic level stuff. From there you look at how statins work and what effects that would have on the above referenced areas. Look at the published data in terms of benefits on morbidity and mortality and look at the side effects and what may cause them.

Form there it is simple risk of cardiovascular disease in a patient population vs risk from statins. If your risk is low from cardiovascular disease due to diet, lifestyle risk factors etc then NO you shouldnt take a statin. if the risk is high then it should be considered.

Many ppl who talk about statins cannot do the basics above and copy paste or read an op ed piece from someone who also cant do the above but throws out a few facts therefore ppl assume they are an expert.

At end of day just be informed and make an educated opinion. Thats all i ask for. Dont parrot other ppls ill informed opinions and make your own to the best of your ability.

Last edited:
no no no they will kill you, I am surprised I am alive. statins are poison:rolleyes: lucky I don't always listen to members on a muscle board

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131