advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

will heavy deadlifts make my hips and waist wider?

db006

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
i want to start adding deads back into my back day, but will they make waist and hips wider? i havent done them in a while because i was getting ready for a show, but im curious if im missing out on the benefits. ive pulled 600 @ 190 pounds, so im not new to doing them, i just dont need to get wider at the waist. should i just incorporate a few sets of 10-12 at the end of my back workout, every other week? something like 225x12, 315x10, 405x8.

thanks
db

Go ahead and do them. My waist looks the same as it did when I started, and I'm not going to stop. I'll tell you what look different though, my thick ass spinal erectors and glutes and hams.

I would say the widening of the waist/hips is another crock of shit myth.

yes

it does build the muscles in the glutes,obliques abs alot dependin on your genetics...i do believe losing muscle in the area of the obliques is a good thing imo....but im a powerlifter and a bodybuilder to so i always do them.what i do change is i do high reps like 10 n up from aprril through november then heavy the rest of the year....cause in the summer months im competin in bodybuildin so i dont like the overall trunk size i gain from the heavy deads

heres why i ask......

are my ass and hamstrings too thick? :confused:

Last edited:
They could stand to lose some fat, but not too big. If u use a blet it should help keep the obliques from getting thicker. Its no myth, they are muscles too and will grow if forced to work.

Hell no they won't make your waist and hips wider..
Thats an excuse made up by people that don't want to deadlift, like people who don't wanna squat say its bad for your knees and lower back,
waist and hips is genetics and diet...

hips no, but ur obliques, yes it will. They grow when stressed just like any other muscle. Like i said, a belt will minimize this. but there is definatly a difference in my waist from when i stopped squatting and deadlifting for a year. The obliques began to atrophy and taper looked better. Of course i routinly squatted over 600 for reps without a belt.

that was last year, i was much better conditioned a couple weeks ago. and i am definitely not scared to deadlift, or squat for that matter, my body is kinda built for those two lifts. but i dont need any more width in the middle. i guess i will just add them back every other week, and do light to mod weights for reps.

big byrd you know tony succorrate by any chance?

I do rack deadlifts so they wont affect my seperate leg workout, and hit back only with my back workouts. Dont want to overtrain legs because I squat hard too.

I pulled 7 plates Monday, personal record at age 46YO 200lbs.

Last edited:
No sorry bro, dont know him. where is he from?

mikes, where are u pulling from in the racks? above the knee, at the knee cap, or below the knee?

I do racks too... just below the knee, about 3-4" below ..but I'm 6'2 so you gotta judge for yourself and where the pins are on your rack.. Keep tha bar as close to your legs as possible (without scraping skin)

I pull from just about at the bottom of the kneecap.
Thats just where the power rack poles setup.

Tony may hold a world record with some federation, there are so many of them these days its hard to keep up. But the ALL-TIME WR Bench for 198 is 685 held by Scot Rabine. I remebr reading about ironsport gym. it sounds pretty cool. ill check the site in a minute.

MikeS, thats a good place to pull from as it hits ur normal range better. Try pulling from the top of the knees every few weeks, u can go hella heavy and it will really work traps, lumbars, and upper back.

ive always been worried about squats and deadlifts making my waist wider cause I already have a thick waist, but Im not going to stop deadlifting and squating, I just try and make my legs as big as possible, and my lats and shoulders wider to offset the wide waist, the wider the shoulders and lats the more of a V-taper you will have.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
HughJass
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity