over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Winded as a mofo!?

drgoodbody

FOUNDING Member
Registered
I got off a long cycle back in mid-Jan and have been AAS clean since. Started using clen (125mcg/day), kyno (2cc/day), B12 (1cc EOD), L-carnitine (1cc EOD) and yohimbe (twinlab 3 caps/day) about 2 weeks ago. I plan on cycling the clen with ephedra every 2 weeks (even tho large doses fuck with my prostate, small ones don't) for the next 2 months or so to dump some of the fat I gain on cycle. I've never used the clen, kyno, yohimbe combo before - typically only the clen.

The last few workouts I have notice that I get winded very quickly when lifting. Today was leg day and I was only able to get 7-8 reps out squating before I was breathing so hard I thought I'd pass out (typically I can get 12-14 reps at the weight I was using). WTF happened to my aerobic capacity!? Anybody experience this before!? Is it the combo of these supplements?! I've never had this with kyno alone or clen alone before...:confused:

Any thoughts?

DrG

i think that's one of the long term affects of clen, it decreases exercise capacity.... i didnt think it would happen that fast though

how long has you used clen???

are you taking all of then before you workout. i think its the yohimbine. i have always found if i add yohimbine to anything espcially before a workout i had trouble with rest between sets and breathing hard.

Yes, I've used clen on several occassions before and never experienced this winded effect.

No, I don't take all that crap just before working out. The yohimbe is split up throughout the day, the injections are done first thing in the AM. I workout in the late afternoon/early evening. Although I do take one yohimbe capsule about 1hr before working out typically.... hmm might be something to that.

it is the Yoh

Does the same thing to me. I am only using 2 of the Twin Labb caps a day and I have the same effect. I will taake 100mcg of clen in the early am before cardio and feel great. I do the Yoh after cardio for this very reason. It still messes me up for lifting in the afternoon but it does help with stubborn fot deposits. Worth using when preparing for a contest.
KnuckleHed

Thanks guys - I will avoid the yohimbe pre-workout and take post and see if that makes a difference.

DrG

Rhodiola Rosea

Throughout the years, many have pondered Rhodiola rosea’s ability to enhance physical performance. Many have demonstrated Rhodiola rosea’s anabolic effects, including the capacity to increase body weight by improving the muscle-fat ratio, and increase hemoglobin and erythrocyte levels. Muscle proteins and glutamic acid also are enhanced with Rhodiola rosea. All these factors indicate that Rhodiola rosea promotes anabolism, the building of body tissues and muscle tissue. Rhodiola rosea will, by positively changing the protein balance in athletes, increase the mass of contractile muscle fibers as a result of increased workloads.

An abundance of scientific research on Rhodiola rosea is directed towards the extract’s abilities to enhance physical performance. Based on these studies, scientists and trainers increasingly are recommending Rhodiola rosea for improving speed and strength abilities and enhancing the recovery process.

Using 112 athletes, researchers discovered that 89% of those supplementing with Rhodiola rosea showed a more rapid improvement in performance in sports such as track and field, swimming, speed skating and ski racing. Speed and strength qualities of the tested individuals improved in comparison to the control group. Researchers also revealed that out of those supplementing with Rhodiola rosea, 69% displayed accelerated adaptation to climatic and social conditions, and 86% demonstrated improved appetite. An improvement in general condition and functional parameters such as pulse, arterial pressure, vital capacity of the lungs, strength of the back muscles, endurance of the hand under static tension, coordination of movements, shortening of the recovery period, time of normalization of the heart rate and the arterial pressure, were observed by the end of the study in subjects who had taken Rhodiola rosea extract. Thus, for example, at the 10th minute of the recovery period, the pulse slowed by a factor of 2.5 under the influence of Rhodiola rosea extract (to 67 beats per minute), while in the control group, it slowed only by a factor of 1.9 (to 86 beats per minute). Judging by the time course of the pulse pressure, prescribing Rhodiola rosea promoted an improvement in the respondent reaction of the blood circulatory apparatus to the physical load. Side effects such as palpitations, sleep disturbances, loss of appetite, etc., we not observed (Saratikov and Krasnov 1987).

In 52 individuals, aged 18 to 24 years, a preparation including Rhodiola rosea proved to enhance the duration of physical performance by 12%. Amazingly, work performance increased to 28% after the test subjects were initially fatigued and then asked to perform the test (Seifulla 1999).

The influence of a preparation of adaptogens, including Rhodiola rosea, on work capacity and functional state of the cardiovascular system of healthy individuals during intense and prolonged physical loads in low temperatures was investigated. The study employed highly qualified skiers during training races and during a biathlon that required the athletes to ski for 12 miles while carrying a rifle and shooting at halts.

The subjects, 42 individuals 20 to 25 years of age, took the relevant preparation (10 drops equal to 100 mg. of Rhodiola rosea extract and 2 ml of Siberian ginseng extract) or a similar dose of placebo solution 30 to 60 minutes before the star of the test.

The athletes who received Rhodiola rosea and Siberian ginseng extracts had better technical results by comparison with the control group, and a statistically significant greater number of strikes on target during shooting at halts in the biathlon. The arms of athlete’s who took the Rhodiola rosea and Siberian ginseng preparation were subject to a lesser degree of tremor than those of individuals in the control group, evidently as a result of less pronounced fatigue and better preservation of coordination after traveling the distance before shooting.

Thirty minutes after completing the competition, the heart rates in both the group which received Rhodiola rosea and Siberian ginseng and the control group were recorded. In the Rhodiola rosea group, heart rate was 104 to 106% that of baseline. In the control group, the average heart rate was 128.7%.

Functional tests were carried out immediately thereafter: 30 minutes, 1 and 2 hours and a day after the end of competitions. The Letunov method of combined trial tests was used, which includes the performance of three loads - 20 squats in 30 seconds, a 15 second run of maximal intensity, and a 3 minute run at a rate of 180 steps per minute. A positive influence of Rhodiola rosea and Siberian Ginsing was identified, both in relation to work capacity levels and the time course of the recovery of pulse rate and arterial pressure. Judging by the results of the functional tests, the preparations in question positively affected the normalization of the hemodynamic indices in the recovery period.

Rhodiola rosea
Stimulates production of ATP and creatine phosphate
According to the Russian researcher, Nikolai Yakovlev, the best way of increasing the body’s energy status is through daily training. Daily exercise increases the consumption of energy and consequently would force our bodies to produce more energy containing molecules called adenosine triphosphate (ATP) and creatine phosphate: two major sources of energy in living organisms.
ATP - the universal source of energy - is generated by the oxidation of carbohydrates, fat and proteins. ATP, often called high-energy phosphate compound, serves as an immediate donor of free energy. The turnover of ATP is extremely high. Each synthesized molecule is burned within a minute of its formation. A resting human burns about 88 pounds of ATP molecules in 24 hours. During high muscle workload, the rate of utilization of ATP may be as high as 1.1 lb per minute. Biosynthesis of ATP can occur only if ATP is continuously regenerated from its precursor called adenosine diphosphate (ADP) (Stayer 1995).

Creatine phosphate is a reservoir of high-energy phosphoryl groups that can be efficiently transferred to ADP and eventually accumulates as ATP. Therefore, high levels of Creatine phosphate could maintain high levels of ATP during intensive muscular workload.

It is important to note that the rate of energy recovery, ATP and creatine phosphate re-synthesis will be affected by the nature of the compound used in mitochondria to generate energy.

Normally, glucose is used by the mitochondria to produce energy. However, carbohydrates are a relatively poor source of energy, although glucose is considered the easiest and fastest source of energy. Fatty acids, though, are the richest source of energy, and use of those compounds in energy production increases the energy status of organisms. Fatty acids play a greater role in supporting the energy demands of the body during long-term exercise than glucose alone. Rhodiola rosea has been shown to increase the levels of fatty acids found in the blood, and this may partly explain how Rhodiola rosea enhances performance and increases endurance.

Fatty acids are activated by L-carnitine before they enter into the mitochondria where these rich-in-energy compounds are metabolized. This liberated energy is eventually used in the production of ATP and Creatine phosphate. Rhodiola rosea has been shown to increase muscle ATP and creatine phosphate levels.

These results clearly show that Rhodiola rosea stimulates production of ATP and creatine phosphate in muscle tissue, which thereby increases our energy status. Improvement in eyesight and motor coordination was also an additional benefit noted in these studies (Sal’nik 1979).

Adaptogens provide the basis through which people can build up an energy reserve to be tapped when the body needs it most: Under extreme physical tension and during recovery from fatigue. Test subjects administered adaptogenic extracts rapidly displayed improved indicators for energy and endurance, and athletes were able to improve the results of their athletic endeavors.

Observations were also conducted on weightlifters, wrestlers and gymnasts. Based on the data obtained, it was concluded that Rhodiola rosea extract increased physical work capacity, decreased fatigue and improved the general mental and physical state of the test subjects.

Through extensive experiments on swimmers, skiers and other athletes, scientists around the world have reliably demonstrated the value of adaptogens for increasing stamina and accelerating recovery processes after physical exertion.

There were no side effects noted in any of the mentioned studies. Moreover, no negative influences were noted on the functions of either the adrenal cortex or the endocrine glands. Additionally, a comparison experiment was conducted with commonly known anabolic steroids. Rhodiola rosea’s effect was comparable to that of the steroid compounds, yet Rhodiola rosea had none of the negative affects on the function of the adrenal cortex. The androgenic effects of anabolic steroids and their accompanying side effects were not revealed in the Rhodiola rosea extract (Seifulla 1999).

Based on in-depth studies by Russian scientists, researchers and trainers have recommended Rhodiola rosea in many areas of athletics for improving speed and strength abilities, as well as for enhancing the muscular density. Since it actively influences the metabolic processes in the organs and tissues, Rhodiola rosea extract is effective for preventing and eliminating the myocardial over-tension associated with physical exercise. This greatly contributes to the recovery processes after physical work.

Many laboratory studies have shown the anabolic affects of Rhodiola rosea, including the capacity to increase body weight by improving the muscle-fat ratio, and increase hemoglobin and erythrocyte levels. Rhodiola rosea also has been shown to raise the total level of protein content in the blood, and to reduce the build-up of uric acid. The proven net result of this herbal nutrient is that the body’s muscle building processes outpace the muscle breakdown processes, leading to greater endurance and performance levels.

All of the above factors indicate that Rhodiola rosea extract will, by positively changing the protein balance in athletes, increase the mass of contraceptive muscle fibers as the result of increased work loads. This greatly helps competitive athletic performance by supporting the level of physical training even during the periods of lower activity, which precede competitions.

Rhodiola rosea seems to be a powerful supplement that could enhance performance in today’s top athletes. Rhodiola rosea can produce equally effective results in males and females of all walks of life.

Rhodiola rosea: final remarks
Neither addiction nor psychological habituation to the preparation has been detected during clinical trials of Rhodiola rosea extract.

Rhodiola rosea was effective as a stimulant in cases of fatigue in apparently healthy individuals and patients with stress and depression states.
Rhodiola rosea was proven to be effective for apparently healthy individuals with a tendency to “quick changes in mood.”

Rhodiola rosea helps to restore work capacity during performance and after prolonged intensive physical loads.

Rhodiola rosea was effective in the prevention of sexual disturbances with a tendency towards impotence.

Rhodiola rosea activates the hormone sensitive enzyme lipase which thereby removes fat from its storage place-fat tissue.

Rhodiola rosea stimulates weight reduction in healthy and obese people.

Epilogue

As shown herein, and has been the case with many other leading health supplements during the last three decades, science finally, reluctantly proves the efficacy of what it once not only ignored but openly denigrated. Yet what is profoundly fascinating is how often and how accurately the lore and legends of folk medicine prove to be clinically accurate.

When we delve deeper into the fast-growing, impressive body of new research, in many cases we find the active compound(s) identified and responsible for an herb or food's traditional health benefits have been somehow empirically understood and used for the appropriate purpose in some form by many of our ancestors well into the past. Often such use occurred for thousands of years, in a variety of different cultures, spread over many continents. Although the folklore may have been local, taken as a whole the use of these natural medicines were regional, if not actually global.

Ironically, modern researchers appear to be learning once again about the complex relationships between our bodies and these traditional food and medicine plants in a somewhat backward fashion.

If researchers took a more humble and open-minded approach to the potential wisdom of traditional medicines like Rhododendron caucasicum, Blueberry leaves extract, Georgian pomegranate and Rhodiola rosea, they might accelerate their understanding and serve the mass acceptance and use of these very real "cultural treasures.” Genuine scientific enthusiasm for this task would help set better industry-wide standards for product formulation, consumer education, and public regulations, which, in turn, could help alleviate and even prevent the suffering of millions of people around the world from major chronic and oftentimes horribly debilitating and life-ending diseases.

The last verifiable statistics from the Republic of Georgia show that there are almost 23,000 Georgians over the age of 100, and that's based on a population of only 3.2 million people. These numbers are a statistical fact based on past census surveys; the numbers are even higher now.

“May you have the good health and long life of a Georgian.”
- Traditional Russian toast
Reference List

AACE (American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists) 2001. World leaders in endocrinology call for new diabetes guidelines. The Media Resource Room: Press Releases. **broken link removed**

Abidoff M. 1997. Stimulative effect of Rhodiola rosea and Rhododendron caucasicum extract on fatty acid release in healthy volunteers. Clinical study for Russian Ministry of Health. Press release of clinical study. Moscow. P. 12.

Abidoff M. 1999. Evaluation of glucose lowering properties of blueberry leaves extract. Part 1: Double blind placebo controlled study for the Russian Ministry for National Defense Industries. Part 2. Effect of blueberry leaves extract on plasma glucose level in Type II diabetics. February 1999 - December 1999.

Abidoff M. 1999. Identification of major phenolic constituents in blueberry leaves extract (Vaccinium arctostaphylos L) and its effect on human glucose: Double-blind placebo controlled clinical study. Russian Center for Modern Medicine. 1999.

Abraham S. K., Sarma L., Kesavan P. C. 1993. Protective effects of chlorogenic acid, curcumin and beta- carotene against gamma-radiation-induced in vivo chromosomal damage. Mutation Research. 303 (3): 109-12.

ACS (American Cancer Society). 2001. Cervical cancer overview. Cancer Resource Center.www.cancer.org.

ADA (American Diabetes Association.). 2001. Facts and figures. www.diabetes.org.

AF (Arthritis Foundation). 2001. www.arthritis.org.

AHA (American Heart Association). 2001. www.americanheart.org.

Ahlborg G., Felig P., Hagenfeldt L., Hendler R., Wahren J. 1974. Substrate turnover during prolonged exercise in man. Splanchnic and leg metabolism of glucose, free fatty acids, and amino acids. The Journal of Clinical Investigation. 53:1080-90.

Ahmed S., Rahman A., Saleem M., Athar M., Sultana S. 1999. Ellagic acid ameliorates nickel induced biochemical alterations: diminution of oxidative stress. Human and Experimental Toxicology. Nov.; 18 (11):691-8.

Ahn D., Putt D., Kresty L., Stoner G. D., Fromm D., Hollenberg P. F. 1996. The effects of dietary ellagic acid on rat hepatic and esophageal mucosal cytochromes P450 and phase II enzymes. Carcinogenesis. 17(4):821-8.

Akagi K., Hirose M., Hoshiya T., Mizoguchi, Y., Ito N., Shirai T. 1995. Modulating effects of ellagic acid, vanillin and quercetin in a rat medium term multi-organ carcinogenesis model. Cancer Letters. 94(1):113-21.

Amakura Y., Okada M., Tsuji S., Tonogai Y. 2000. High-performance liquid chromatographic determination with photodiode array detection of ellagic acid in fresh and processed fruits. Journal of Chromatography A. Oct.27; 896 (1-2):87-93.

Anding J. 2000. Nutri-facts. Texas Agricultural Extension Service; The Texas A & M University System. Jan; Issue 3.

Andriambeloson E., Magnier C., Haan-Archipoff G., Lobstein A., Anton R, Beretz A., Stoclet J. C., Andriantsitohaina R. 1998. Natural dietary polyphenolic compounds cause endothelium-dependent vasorelaxation in rat thoracic aorta. The Journal of Nutrition. 128(12):2324-33.

Anton Susan. 2001. Telephone interview by co-author, Shaffer Fox. September 7.

Arion W. J., Canfield W. K., Ramos F. C., Schindler P. W., Burger H. J., Hemmerle H., Schubert G., Below P., Herling A. W. 1997. Chlorogenic acid and hydroxynitrobenzaldehyde: new inhibitors of hepatic glucose 6-phosphatase. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics. 15; 339 (2):315-22.

Arion W. J., Canfield W. K., Ramos F. C., Su M. L., Burger H. J., Hemmerle H., Schubert G., Below P., Herling A. W. 1998. Chlorogenic acid analogue S 3483: a potent competitive inhibitor of the hepatic and renal glucose-6-phosphatase systems. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics. 15; 351 (2): 279-85.

Arner P. 1988. Role of antilipolytic mechanisms in adipose tissue distribution and function in man. Acta Medica Scandinavica. 723:147-52.

Arner P., Bolinder J., Engfeldt P., Hellmer J., Ostman J. 1984. Influence of obesity on the antilipolytic effect of insulin in isolated human fat cells obtained before and after glucose ingestion. The Journal of Clinical Investigation. 73:673-80.

Arner P., Kriegholm E., Engfeldt P., Bolinder J. 1990. Adrenergic regulation of lipolysis in situ at rest and during exercise. The Journal of Clinical Investigation. 85:893-98.

Arner P., Hellstrom L., Wahrenberg H., Bronnegard M. 1990. Beta-adrenoceptor expression in human fat cells from different regions. The Journal of Clinical Investigation. 86:1595-600.

ATP III (Adult Treatment Panel III). 2001. Executive summary of the third report of the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) expert panel on detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood cholesterol in adults (adult treatment panel III). Journal of the American Medical Association. May 16;16285:19;2487-93.

ATSDR (Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry). 2001. Public health statement for nickel. **broken link removed**

ATSDR (Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry). 2001. ToxFAQs for Carbon Tetrachloride. **broken link removed**

ATSN (American Technicon Society News). 2000. Why pomegranates are better than red wine. American Society for Technicon - Israel Institute of Technology. May 4.

ATSN (American Technicon Society News). 1999. Pomegranates may be better for you than wine, say Israeli researchers. American Society for Technicon - Israel Institute of Technology. October 29.

Austin M., McKnight B., Edwards K., Bradley C., McNeely M., Psaty B., Brunzell J., Motulsky A. 2000. Cardiovascular disease mortality in familial forms of hypertriglyceridemia: a 20-year prospective study. Circulation. 101:2777-2782.

Aviram M. 1999. Cholesterol oxidation, macrophage foam cells and atherosclerosis: importance of antioxidants and paraoxonase. Harefuah. 15;136(8): 620-6.

Aviram M., Hayek T., Fuhrman B. 1997. Red wine consumption inhibits LDL oxidation and aggregation in humans and in atherosclerotic mice. BioFactors. 6(4):415-9.

Aviram M., Billecke S., Sorenson R., Bisgaier C., Newton R., Rosenblat M., Erogul J., Hsu Dunlop C., La Du B. 1998. Paraoxonase active site required for protection against LDL oxidation involves its free sulfhydryl group and is different from that required for its arylesterase/paraoxonase activities: selective action of human paraoxonase allozymes Q and R. Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology. 18(10):1617-24.

Aviram M., Rosenblat M., Bisgaier C. L., Newton R. S., Primo-Parmo S. L., La Du B. N. 1998. Paraoxonase inhibits high-density lipoprotein oxidation and preserves its functions. A possible peroxidative role for paraoxonase. The Journal of Clinical Investigation. 15;101(8):1581-90.

Aviram M. and Fuhrman B. 1998. Polyphenolic flavonoids inhibit macrophage-mediated oxidation of LDL and attenuate atherogenesis. Atherosclerosis. 137 Suppl:S45-50.

Aviram M., Rosenblat M., Billecke S., Erogul J., Sorenson R., Bisgaier C. L., Newton R. S., La Du B. 1999. Human serum paraoxonase (PON 1) is inactivated by oxidized low density lipoprotein and preserved by antioxidants. Free Radical Biology and Medicine. 26(7-8):892-904.

Aviram M., Hardak E., Vaya J., Mahmood S., Milo S., Hoffman A., Billicke S., Draganov D., Rosenblat M. 2000. Human serum paraoxonases (PON1) Q and R selectively decrease lipid peroxides in human coronary and carotid atherosclerotic lesions: PON1 esterase and peroxidase-like activities. Circulation. May 30;101(21):2510-7.

Aviram M. and Dornfeld L. 2001. Pomegranate juice consumption inhibits serum angiotensin converting enzyme activity and reduces systolic blood pressure. Atheriosclerosis. Sep;158(1):195-8.

Azuma K., Ippoushi K., Nakayama M., Ito H., Higashio H., Terao J. 2000. Absorption of Chlorogenic Acid and Caffeic Acid in Rats after Oral Administration. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 20;48(11):5496-5500.

Bailey G. S., Scanlan R. A., Selivonchick D. P., Williams D. E. 1991. Food toxicology. Encyclopedia of Human Biology, ed. R. Dulbecco, Vol. 3: Pp. 671-681. New York.: Academic Press.

Bailey G. S. and Williams D. E. 1993. A scientific status summary by the Institute of Food Technologists’; Expert panel on food safety & nutrition. Food Technology. February;47(2):105-118.

Barch D. and Iannaccone P. 1986. Role of zinc deficiency in carcinogenesis. Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology. 206:517-27.
Barch D. and Fox C. 1987. Dietary zinc deficiency increases the methylbenzylnitrosamine-induced formation of 06-methylguanine in the esophageal DNA of the rat. Carcinogenesis. Oct;8(10):1461-4.

Barch D. and Rundhaugen L 1994. Ellagic acid induces NAD (P) H: quinone reductase through activation of the antioxidant responsive element of the rat NAD (P)H: quinone reductase gene. Carcinogenesis. 15(9):2065-8.

Barch D. H., Rundhaugen L. M., Stoner G. D., Pillay N. S, Rosche W. A. 1996. Structure-function relationships of the dietary anticarcinogen ellagic acid. Carcinogenesis. 17(2):265-9.

Baskys B., Klein F., Lever W. F. 1963. Lipases of blood and tissue. III. Purification and
properties of pancreatic lipase. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics. 102:201-9.
Basso L. V., Havel R. J. 1970. Hepatic metabolism of free fatty acids in normal and diabetic dogs. The Journal of Clinical Investigation. 49:537-47.

Ben Nasr C., Ayed N., Metche M. 1996. Quantitative determination of the polyphenolic content of pomegranate peel. Zeitschrift fur Lebensmittel-untersuchung und - forchung. 203(4):374-8.

Benet Sula. 1976. In How to live to be 100. The lifestyle of the people of the Caucasus. New York: The Dial Press.

Bhuiyan J. and Seccombe D. 1996. The effects of 3-hydroxy-3methylglutaryl-CoA reductase inhibition on tissue levels of carnitine and carnitine acyltransferase activity in the rabbit. Lipids. 31(8):867-70.

Biziagos E., Crance J. M., Passagot J., Deloince R. 1987. Effect of antiviral substances on hepatitis A virus replication in vitro. Journal of Medical Virology. 22:157-66.

Bocharova O. A., Matveev B. P., Baryshnikov A., Figurin K. M., Serebriakova R. V., Bodrova N. B. 1995. The effect of a Rhodiola rosea extract on the incidence of recurrence of a superficial bladder cancer. Urologiia i Nefrologiia. 2:46-47.

Bolchakova I. V., Lozoskaya E. L., Sapezhinski I. I. 1996. Antioxidant properties of a series of extracts from medicinal plants. Biophysics. 42:1480-1485.

Bongaerts G. and Severijnen R. 2001. The beneficial, antimicrobial effect of probiotics. Medical Hypotheses. 56(2):174-177.

Bonner J., and Dunnett B. 1998. Scientists track spred of antibiotic-resistant bacteria in 12 New York City hospitals. Grant from Bristol-Myers Squibb Foundation funds study showing efficacy of a molecular surveillance network. News from The Rockefeller University. (15 July).

Borgstrom B., and Erlanson-Albertsson C. 1984. Pancreatic colipase. In Lipases, ed. Borgstrom, B., Brockman, H. L. Pp. 152-83. Amsterdam. Elsevier.

Borovskaya T. G., Fomina T. I., Iaremenko K. V. 1988. A decrease in the toxic action of rubomycin on the small intestine of mice with a transplantable tumor through the use of a Rhodiola extract. Antibiotics and Chemotherapy. 33:615-617.

Bostanashvili B. S., and Kemertelidze E. P. 1956. Effect of Rhododendron caucasicum Ungern extract on the regulation of blood pressure. Proceedings of Pharmaceutical Institute of the Georgian Academy of Sciences. 8:25-26.

Bronfenbrenner U. 1972. Two worlds of childhood U. S. and U. S. S. R. New York. Touchstone edition. Simon and Schuster.

Bronner C., and Landry Y. 1985. Kinetics of the inhibitory effect of flavonoids on histamine secretion from mast cells. Agents Actions. April;16(3-4):147-51.

Burke T. R. Jr., Fesen M. R., Mazumder A., Wang J., Carothers A. M., Grunberger D., Driscoll J., Kohn K., Pommier Y. 1995. Hydroxylated aromatic inhibitors of HIV-1 integrase. Journal of Medical Chemistry. 38 (21):4171-8.

Burns G. 1997. Heart, animal. The Grolier Multimedia Encylopedia. Grolier Interactive, Inc.

Butland B. K., Fehily A. M., Elwood P. C. 2000. Diet, lung function, and lung function decline in a cohort of 2512 middle aged men. Thorax. 55(2):102-108.

Butler L. G. 1992. Antinutritional effects of condensed and hydrolyzable tannins. Basic Life Sciences. 59:693-698.

Cai L., and Wu C. D. 1996. Compounds from Syzygium aromaticum possessing growth inhibitory activity against oral pathogens. Journal of Natural Products. 59(10):987-90.

Campbell M., Dunn D., Donald J., Morgan J., Golub M., Zeise L., Alexeeff G. 2000. Evidence on developmental and reproductive toxicity of sodium nitrite. Draft document for the Reproductive and Cancer Hazard Assessment Section, Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment, California Environmental Protection Agency.

Carey M. C., and Hernell O. 1992. Digestion and absorption of fat. Seminars in Gastrointestinal Disease. 3:189-208.

Carriere F., Barrowman J. A., Verger R., Laugier R. 1993. Secretion and contribution to lipolysis of gastric and pancreatic lipases during a test meal in humans. Gastroenterology. 105:876-88.

Cassens, R. 1997. Composition and safety of cured meats in the U. S. A. Food Chemistry. 59:561-566.

Cechinel-Filho V., Vaz Z. R., Zunino L., Calixto J. B., Yunes R. A. 2000. Antinociceptive and anti-oedematogenic properties of astilbin, taxifolin and some related compounds. Arzneimittel-Forschung. 50(3):281-5.

CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) 2001. Diabetes: A serious public health problem at a glance 2001. **broken link removed**

CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) 2001. Genital H. P. V. infection. S. T. D. prevention. Division of sexually transmitted diseases. . www.cdc.gov/nchstp/dstd/Fact_Sheets/FactsHPV.htm.

Chaillan C., Kerfelec B., Foglizzo E., Chapus C. 1992. Direct involvement of the C-terminal extremity of pancreatic lipase (403-499) in colipase binding. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications. 84:206-11.

Chang R. L., Hjang M. T., Wood A.W., Wong C. Q., Newmark H. L., Yagi H., Sayer J. M., Conney A. H. 1985. Effect of ellagic acid and hydroxylated flavonoids on the tumorigenicity of benzo(a)pyrene and (")-78ß,8a-dihydroxy-9a,10a-epoxy-7,8,9,10 tetrahydrobenzo(a) pyrene on mouse skin and in the newborn mouse. Carcinogenesis. 6:1127-1133.

Chang W. S., Chang Y. H., Lu F. J., Chiang H. C. 1994. Inhibitory effects of phenolics on xanthine oxidase. Anticancer Research. 14(2A):501-6.

Chang W. S., Wen P. C., Chiang H. C. 1995. Structure-activity relationship of caffeic acid analogues on xanthine oxidase inhibition. Anticancer Research. 15(3):703-7.

Chapus C., Rovery M., Sarda L., Verger R. 1988. Minireview of pancreatic lipase and colipase. Biochimie. 70:1223-34.

Chen L., Lee M. J., Li H., Yang C. S. 1997. Absorption, distribution, elimination of tea polyphenols in rats. Drug Metabolism and Disposition: The Biological Fate of Chemicals. 25(9):1045-1050.

Cheng J. T., and Liu I. M. 2000. Stimulatory effect of caffeic acid on alpha1A-adrenoceptors to increase glucose uptake into cultured C2C12 cells. Naunyn-Schmiedebergs Archives of Pharmacology. 362 (2): 122-7.

Cheng X.. J., Di L.., Wu Y., Zhao Q. C., Du G. Z., Liu Y. Q. 1993. Studies on the hypoglycemic effect of Rhodiola sachalinensis A. Bor. Polysaccharides. Academy of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Materia Medica of Jilin Province, Changchun. Chung Kuo Chung Yao Tsa Chih. 18(9):557-559.

Cherdinzev S. 1971. Doctoral Thesis. Uzbekistan Academy of Sciences. Tashkent, U. S. S. R.

Cho J. Y., Moon J. H., Seong K. Y., Park K. H. 1998. Antimicrobial activity of 4-hydroxybenzoic acid and trans 4-hydroxycinnamic acid isolated and identified from rice hull. Bioscience, Biotechnology, and Biochemistry. 62(11):2273-6.

Cignarella A., Nastasi M., Cavalli E., Puglisi L. 1996. Novel lipid-lowering properties of Vaccinium myrtillus L. leaves, a traditional antidiabetic treatment, in several models of rat dyslipidaemia: a comparison with ciprofibrate. Thrombosis Research. December1;84(5):311-22.

Closa D., Torres M., Hotter G., Bioque G., León OS., Gelpí E., Rósello-Catafau J. 1997. Prostanoids and free radicals in Cl4C-induced hepatotoxicity in rats: effect of astilbin. Prostaglandins, Leukotrienes, and Essential Fatty Acids. 56(4):331-334.

Constantinou A., Stoner G. D., Mehta R., Rao K., Runyan C., Moon R. 1995. The dietary anticancer agent ellagic acid is a potent inhibitor of DNA topoisomerases in vitro. Nutrition and Cancer. 23(2): 121-30.

Cooper K. 1994. Antioxidant Revolution. Nashville. Thomas Nelson, Inc. P.19.

Cornicelli J. A., and Trivedi B. K. 1999. 15-lipoxygenase and its inhibition: A novel therapeutic target for vascular disease. Current Pharmaceutical Design. 5:11-12.

Costantino L., Albasini A., Rastelli G., Benvenuti S. 1992. Activity of polyphenolic crude extracts as scavengers of superoxide radicals and inhibitors of xanthine oxidase. Planta Medica. 58(4):342-4.

Coviello F. and Fuegel L. 2001. Telephone interviews of Linda Fuegel consulting with Frank Coviello, by co-author, Shaffer Fox, followed by written correspondence. September.

Cozzi R., Ricordy R., Bartolini F., Ramadori L., Perticone P., De Salvia R. 1995. Taurine and ellagic acid: two differently acting natural antioxidants. Environmental and Molecular Mutagenesis. 26(3):248-54.

Crenshaw D. G., and Hsieh T. 1993. Function of the hydrophilic carboxyl terminus of type II DNA topoisomerase from Drosophila melanogaster. II. In vivo studies. The Journal of Biological Chemistry. 28:21335-43.

Daniel E. and Stoner G. 1991. The effects of ellagic acid and 13-cis-retinoic acid on N-nitrosobenzylmethylamine-induced esophagal tumorigenesis in rats. Cancer Letters. 56:117-124.

Darbinyan V., Kteyan A., Panossian A., Gabriellian E., Wikman G., Wagner H. 2000. Rhodiola rosea in stress induced fatigue - a double blind cross-over study of a standardized extract SHR-5 with a repeated low-dose regimen on the mental performance of healthy physicians during night duty. Phytomedicine. 7(5):365-371.

DeCaro A., Figarella C., Amic J., Michel R., Guy O. 1977. Human pancreatic lipase: a glycoprotein. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta. 490:411-19.

Dementieva L. A., Yaremenko K. V. 1983. The study of the influence of Rhodiola rosea extract on the growth of tumors in experiment. Proceedings of Siberian Department of the USSR Academy of Science. 6:70-77.

Dementieva L. A., and Yaremenko K. V. 1987. Effect of Rhodiola extract on the tumor process in an experiment. Oncological Problems. 33:57-60.

Derewenda U., Brzozowski A. M., Lawson D. M., Derewenda Z. S. 1992. Catalysis at the
interface: the anatomy of a conformational change in a triglyceride lipase. Biochemistry. 31:1532-41.

Dhar K., and Rosazza J. P. 2000. Purification and characterization of streptomyces griseus catechol O-methyltransferase. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 66(11):4877-82.
Dombrowicz E, Zadernowski R., Swiatek L. 1991. Phenolic acids in leaves of Arctostaphylos uva ursi L., Vaccinium vitis idaea L. and Vaccinium myrtillus L. Pharmazie. 46(9):680-681.

Draper A. 2001. Case study #5: Disenfection of drinking water. Chem 360, Advanced Environmental Chemistry. **broken link removed**

Durmishidze S. B., Shalashvili A. G., Mjavanadze V. V., Tziklauri G. C. 1981. Flavonoids in several plants of the Georgian Republic. P. 194 Tbilisi, Republic of Georgia. Georgia Press.

Egger K. 1962. Myricitin-5-methylather in Rhododendron Bluten. Zeitschrift für Naturforschung. 17: 489.

Elmer G. 2001. Probiotics: “Living drugs.” American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy. June 15;58(12):1101-9.

Feinmark S. J., and Cornicelli J. A. 1997. Is there a role for 15-lipoxygenase in atherogenesis? Biochemical Pharmacology. November1;54(9):953-9.

Fernández M. A., García M. D., Sáenz M. T. 1996. Antibacterial activity of the phenolic acids fractions of Scrophularia frutescens and Scrophularia sambucifolia. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 53(1):11-4.

Fischer J. 1972. Two worlds of childhood U. S. and U. S. S. R. by Urie Bronfenbrenner. Cover commentary. New York. Touchstone edition. Simon and Schuster.

Fisher, I. 1998. Hospitals forge and alliance to fight antibiotic-resistant bacteria. New York Times. June 28.

Folkers K., Langsjoen P., Willis R., Richardson P., Xia L. J., Ye C. Q., Tamagawa H. 1990. Lovastatin decreases coenzyme Q levels in humans. Proceeding of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 87(22):8931-4.

Fraisse D., Carnat A., Lamaison J. L. 1996. Polyphenolic composition of the leaf of bilberry. Annales de Pharmaceutiques Francaises. 54(6): 280-3.

Frazier O. 1997. Heart, human. The Grolier Multimedia Encylopedia. Grolier Interactive, Inc.

Frolova G. I., Prosandeeva G. F., Larionova L. V., Maslennikova G. V. 1981. Use of a Golden root (Rhodiola rosea) tincture in training periodontosis. Stomatology. 60:81-82.
GA. 2000. Republic of Georgia: Policy framework paper, 1996-1998. Prepared by Georgian authorities in collaboration with the staffs of the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank. 3. Education; 53. February 9.

Gedevanishvili D. M., and Tzereteli M. P. 1955. Specific physiological effect of Rhododendron. Proceedings of Georgian Pharmaceutical Institute. 2:22.

Gedevanishvili D. M., and Tzereteli M. P. 1956. Pharmacology of Rhododendron Caucasicum Ungern. Proceedings of Georgian Pharmaceutical Institute. Pp. 85-90.

Gedevanishvili D. M., and Tzereteli M. P. 1960. Pharmacological effect of glycosides of Rhododendron Caucasicum Ungern. Proceedings of Georgian Pharmaceutical Institute. Pp. 17-27.

Ghiselli A., D'Amicis A., Giacosa A. 1997. The antioxidant potential of the Mediterranean diet. The European Journal of Cancer Prevention. 6 Supp.1:S15-S19.

Gill M., Tomas-Barberan F., Hess-Pierce B., Holcroft D., Kader A. 2000. Antioxidant activity of pomegranate juice and its relationship with phenolic composition and processing. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. Oct;48(10):4581-9.

Gill H., Cross M., Rutherfurd K., Gopal P. 2001. Dietary probiotic supplementation to enhance cellular immunity in the elderly. British Journal of Biomedical Science. 58(2):94-6

GRF (Glaucoma Research Foundation). 2001. About glaucoma. Glaucoma Statistics. 7/25. http://www.glaucoma.org/fs-glaucoma-stats.html

Grauer W. O., Moss A. A., Cann C. E., Goldberg H. I. 1984. Quantification of body fat distribution in the abdomen using computed tomography. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 39:631-37.

Griffiths D. W. 1986. The inhibition of digestive enzymes by polyphenolic compounds. Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology. 199:509-516.

Gugliotta. 2000. Out of africa, an early migration. Eurasian skulls point to human forebears on go. Washington Post. May 12;page A03.

Gupta M. B., Bhalla T. N., Gupta G. P., Mitra C. R., Bhargava K. P. 1971. Antiinflammatory activity of taxifolin. Japanese Journal of Pharmacology. June 21(3):377-82.

Gutnisky A., Rizzo N., Castro M. E., Garbossa G. 1992. The inhibitory action of chlorogenic acid on the intestinal iron absorption in rats. Acta Physiologica, Pharmacologia et Therapeutica Latinoamericana. 42(3):139-46.

Gvishiani, G. C., Litanishvili V. B. 1955. Rhodogern extract of Rhododendron in treatments of high blood pressure. International Congress on pathology of cardiovascular systems. Pavlov Institute of Physiology, Leningrad, U. S. S. R.

Haller C. and Benowitz N. 2000. Adverse cardiovascular and central nervous system events associated with dietary supplements containing ephedra alkaloids. New England Journal of Medicine. Dec 21;343(25):1886-7.

Han L. K., Ninomiya H., Taniguchi M., Baba K., Kimura Y., Okuda H. 1998. Norepinephrine-augmenting lipolytic effectors from Astilbe thunbergii rhizomes. Journal of Natural Products. 61:8 1006-11.

Han L. K., Takaku T., Li J., Kimura Y., Okuda H. 1999. Antiobesity action of oolong tea. International Journal of Obesity and Related Metabolic Disorders: Journal of the International Association for the Study of Obesity. 23(1):98-105.

Haraguchi H., Mochida Y., Sakai S., Masuda H., Tamura Y., Mizutani K., Tanaka O., Chou W. H. 1996. Protection against oxidative damage by dihydroflavonols in Engelhardtia chrysolepis. Bioscience, Biotechnology, and Biochemistry. 60(6): 945-948.

Haraguchi H., Ohmi I., Masuda H., Tamura Y., Mizutani K., Tanaka O., Chou W. H. 1996. Inhibition of aldose reductase by dihydroflavonols in Engelhardtia chrysolepis and effects on other enzymes. Experientia. 52(6):564-7.

Haraguchi H., Ohmi I., Fukuda A., Tamura Y., Mizutani K., Tanaka O., Chou W. H. 1997. Inhibition of aldose reductase and sorbitol accumulation by astilbin and taxifolin dihydroflavonols in Engelhardtia chrysolepis. Bioscience, Biotechnology, and Biochemistry. (4):651-4.

Harborne J. B., and Williams C. A. 1971. Leaf survey of flavonoids and simple phenols in the genus Rhododendron. Phytochemistry. 10:2733.

Hecht S. S., and Hoffman D. 1988. Tobacco-specific nitrosamines, an important group of carcinogens in tobacco and tobacco smoke. Carcinogenesis. 9:875-884.

Hellmer J., Marcus C., Sonnenfeld T., Arner P. 1992. Mechanisms for differences in lipolysis between human subcutaneous and omental fat cells. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 75:15-20.

Hemmerle H., Burger H. J., Below P., Schubert G. 1997. Chlorogenic acid and synthetic chlorogenic acid derivatives: novel inhibitors of hepatic glucose-6-phosphate translocase. The Journal of Medical Chemistry. January17;40(2):137-145.

Henkel J. 1998. Parkinson’s disease: new treatments slow onslaught of symptoms. F. D. A. Consumer magazine. July-August 1998.

Hennes M. M., Shrago E., Kissebah A. H. 1990. Receptor and postreceptor effects of free fatty acids (FFA) on hepatocyte insulin dynamics. International Journal of Obesity and Related Metabolic Disorders. 14:831-41.

Herling A., Burger H., Schubert G., Hemmerle H., Schaefer H., Kramer W. 1999. Alterations of carbohydrate and lipid intermediary metabolism during inhibition of glucose-6-phosphatase in rats. European Journal of Pharmacology. December 10;386(1):75-82.

Herrero R., Hildesheim A., Concepcion B., Sherman M., Hutchinson M., Morales J., Balmaceda I., Greenberg M., Alfaro M., Burk R., Wacholder S., Plummer M., Schiffman M. 2001. Population-based study of human papillomavirus infection and cervical neoplasia in rural Costa Rica. Journal of the National Cancer Institute. 92(6):464-474.

Hertog M. G. L, Feskens E. I. M., Holiman P. C. H., Katan M. B., Krombout D. 1993. Dietary antioxidant flavonoids and risk of coronary heart disease: the Zutphen Elderly Study. Lancet. 342:1007-1011.

HIN (Heart Information Network). 1997. Mitral valve prolapse: The most common heart valve abnormality. **broken link removed**

HN (Health News 2000). 2000. Ephedra dangers documented. Health News. Dec;6(12):6.

Hollman P. C., and Katan M. B. 1998. Bioavailability and health effects of dietary flavonols in man. Archives of Toxicology. Supplement. 20:237-248.

Holmes T. and Rahe R. 1967. The social readjustment rating scale. Journal of Psychosomatic Research. Aug; 11(2): 213-8.

Hotchkiss J. H. 1989. Relative exposure to nitrite, nitrate, and N-nitroso compounds from endogenous and exogenous sources. In Food Toxicology, A Perspective on the Relative Risks, ed. S. L. Taylor and R. A. Scanlan. Pp. 57-100. New York. Marcel Dekker, Inc.

Hsu F. L., Chen Y. C., Cheng J. T. 2000. Caffeic acid as active principle from the fruit of Xanthium strumarium to lower plasma glucose in diabetic rats. Planta Medica. 66(3):228-30.

Huang M. T., Smart R. C., Wong C. Q., Conney A. H. 1988. Inhibitory effect of chlorogenic acid, caffeic acid, and ferulic acid on tumor promotion in mouse skin by 12-O-tetradecanoylphorbol-13-acetate. Cancer Research. 48:5941-5946.

Human J. A., Ubbink J. B., Jerling J. J., Delport R., Vermaak W. J., Vorster H. H., Lagendijk J., Potgieter H. C. 1997. The effect of Simvastatin on the plasma antioxidant concentrations in patients with hypercholesterolaemia. Clinical Chimica Acta; International Journal of Clinical Chemistry. July 4; 263(1):67-77.

Humphreys L., and Stodulski A. 1985. Detection of Andromedotoxins for the diagnosis of Rhododendron poisoning in animals. Pathology Department, The Royal Veterinary College, Royal College, London NW1 OUT, UK.

Iakovleva L., Ivakhnenko A., Buniatian N. 1998. The protective action of ellagic acid in experimental myocarditis. Eksperimentalnaia Klinicheskaia Farmakologiia. May-June;61(3):32-4.

Iakubovskii M., Pentiuk A., Khmelnitskii O., Oleinik V. 1997. The activity of the lipid peroxidation processes in the mucosa of the rat small intestine and its morphofunctional state under acute irradiation and the administration of combined preparations created on a base of highly dispersed silica. Radiatsionnaia Biologiia, Radioecologiia/ Rossiiskaia Akademiia Nauk. May-June;37(3):366-71.

IARC (International Agency for Research on Cancer). 1987. IARC monographs on the evaluation of carcinogenic risks to humans. Lyon, France. World Health Organization. Suppl. 7.

Igarashi K., Uchida Y., Murakami N., Mizutani K., Masuda H. 1996. Effect of astilbin in tea processed from leaves of Engelhardtia chrysolepis on the serum and liver lipid concentrations and on the erythrocyte and liver antioxidative enzyme activities of rats. Bioscience, Biotechnology, and Biochemistry. 60(3): 513-5.

Isolauri E. 2001. Probiotics in human disease. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. June; 73(6):1142S.
Iwahashi H., Negoro Y., Ikeda A., Morishita H., Kido R. 1986. Inhibition by chlorogenic acid of haematin-catalysed retinoic acid 5,6- epoxidation. The Biochemical Journal. November1;239(3):641-6.

Jacobsson B., and Smith U. 1972. Effect of cell size on lipolysis and antilipolytic action of insulin in human fat cells. Journal of Lipid Research. 13:651-56.

Jansson P. A., Smith U., Lonnroth P. 1990. Interstitial glycerol concentration measured by microdialysis in two subcutaneous regions in humans. American Journal of Physiology. 258:E918-22.

Jensen M. D. 1991. Regulation of forearm lipolysis in different types of obesity. In vivo evidence for adipocyte heterogeneity. The Journal of Clinical Investigation. 87:187-93.

Jensen M. D., Haymond M. W., Rizza R. A., Cryer P. E., Miles J. M. 1989. Influence of body fat distribution on free fatty acid metabolism in obesity. The Journal of Clinical Investigation. 83:1168-73.

Jensen M. D., and Johnson C. M. 1996. Contribution of leg and splanchnic free fatty acid (FFA) kinetics to postabsorptive FFA flux in men and women. Metabolism: Clinical and Experimental. 45:662-66.

Jensen M. D., Cryer P. E., Johnson C. M., Murray M. J. 1996. Effects of epinephrine on regional free fatty acid and energy metabolism in men and women. American Journal of Physiology. 33: E259-64.

Kaliko I. and Tarosova A. 1965. Effect of natural stimulants of the central nervous system. Proceedings of the 3rd Scientific Conference of Pyhsiologists, Biochemists and Pharmacists. Tomsk; Tomsk Medical Sciences University. Pp.302-303.

Kaliko I. and Tarasova N. 1966. Effect of extracts of Leuzea and Golden Root on the dynamic characteristics of the central nervous system. Tomsk: Tomsk Medical Sciences University. 1:115-120.

Kang S., Zhang J., Lu Y., Lu D. 1992. Chemical constituents of Rhodiola kirilowii (Reg.) Reg. Institute of Qinghai High Altitude Medical Scientific Research, Xining. Chung Kuo Chung Yao Tsa Chih. February;17(2):100-1, 127.

Kaplan M., Hayek T., Raz A., Coleman R., Dornfeld L., Faya J., Aviram M. 2001. Pomegranate juice supplementation to atherosclerotic mice reduces macrophage lipid peroxidation, cellular cholesterol accumulation and development of atherosclerosis. Journal of Nutrition. Aug;131(8):2082-2089.

Kasai H., Fukada S., Yamaizumi Z., Sugie S., Mori H. 2000. Action of chlorogenic acid in vegetables and fruits as an inhibitor of 8-hydroxydeoxyguanosine formation in vitro and in a rat carcinogenesis model. Food and Chemical Toxicology. 38(5):467-471.

Kather H., Bieger W., Michel G., Aktories K., Jakobs K. H. 1985. Human fat cell lipolysis is primarily regulated by inhibitory modulators acting through distinct mechanisms. The Journal of Clinical Investigation. 76:1559-65.

Kaul A., and Khanduja K. L. 1998. Polyphenols inhibit promotional phase of tumorigenesis: relevance of superoxide radicals. Nutrition and Cancer. 32(2):81-5.

Kelley D. E., Mokan M., Simoneau J. A., Mandarino L. J. 1993. Interaction between glucose and free fatty acid metabolism in human skeletal muscle. The Journal of Clinical Investigation. 92:91-98..

Kerry N., and Rice-Ewans C. 1999. Inhibition of peroxynitrite-mediated oxidation of Dopamine by flavonoid and phenolic antioxidants and their structural relationships. The Journal of Neuroscience. July;73(1):247-253.

Khanduja K. L., Gandhi R. K., Pathania V., Syal N. 1999. Prevention of N-nitrosodiethylamine-induced lung tumorigenesis by ellagic acid and quercetin in mice. Food and Chemical Toxicology. 37(4):313-8.

Khnykina L. A., and Zotova M. I. 1966. To the pharmacognostic study of Rhodiola rosea. Apthech. Delo. 15:34-38.

Kim S. R., and Kim Y. C. 2000. Neuroprotective phenylpropanoid esters of rhamnose isolated from roots of Scrophularia buergeriana. Phytochemistry. 54(5):503-9.

Kim Y. K., Hwang M. Y., Woo J. S., Jung J. S., Lee S. H. 2000. Effect of arachidonic acid metabolic inhibitors on hypoxia/reoxygenation-induced renal cell injury. Renal Failure. 22(2):143-57.

King A., and Young G. 1999. Characteristics and occurrence of phenolic phytochemicals. Journal of the American Dietetic Association. 99 (2):213-8.

King W., Dodds L., Allen A. 2000. Relation between stillbirth and specific chlorination by-products in public water supplies. Environmental Health Perspectives. Sep;108(9):883-6.

Kissebah A.H., Alfarsi S., Adams P. W., Wynn V. 1976. Role of insulin resistance in adipose tissue and liver in the pathogenesis of endogenous hypertriglyceridaemia in man. Diabetologia. 22:563-71.

Kissebah A. H., Vydelingum N., Murray R., Evans D. J., Hartz A. J., et al. 1982. Relation of body fat distribution to metabolic complications of obesity. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 54:254-60.

Kitts D. D., and Wijewickreme A. N. (1994) Effect of dietary caffeic and chlorogenic acids on in vivo xenobiotic enzyme systems. Plant Foods for Human Nutrition. 45(3):287-98.

Komar V. V., Karpulnik Z. V., Kit S. M., Komar L. V., Smolinska V.O. 1980. Macro- and microelement composition of root extracts of Rhodiola rosea. Pharmaceutical Journal. June;3:58-60
Kono Y., Shibata H., Kodama Y., Sawa Y. 1995. The suppression of the N-nitrosating reaction by chlorogenic acid. The Biochemical Journal. Devember15;312 (Pt3):947-953.

Kono Y., Shibata H., Kodama Y., Ueda A., Sawa Y. 1995. Chlorogenic acid as a natural scavenger for hypochlorous acid. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications. 217(3):972-8.

Kono Y., Kobayashi K., Tagawa S., Adachi K., Ueda A., Sawa Y., Shibata H. 1997. Antioxidant activity of polyphenolics in diets. Rate constants of reactions of chlorogenic acid and caffeic acid with reactive species of oxygen and nitrogen. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta. 1335(3):335-42.

Kooy N. W., Lewis S. J., Royall J. A., Ye Y. Z., Kelly D. R., Beckman J. S. 1997. Extensive tyrosine nitration in human myocardial inflammation: evidence for the presence of peroxynitrite. Critical Care Medicine. 25(5):812-9.

Koshihara Y., Neichi T., Murota S., Lao A., Fujimoto Y., Tatsuno T. 1984. Caffeic acid is a selective inhibitor for leukotriene biosynthesis. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta. 792(1):92-7.

Krasik E., Morozova E., Petrova K. 1970. New results on depression therapy using Rhodiola rosea extract. In Modern Problems of Psychopharmacology. Kemerovo. Pp. 298-300.
Krasik E., Petrova K., Ragulina G. 1970. Adaptogenic and stimulative effect of Rhodiola rosea extract. Proceedings of All Union Conference of Neuropathologists and Psychiatrists. Sverdlovsk. May 26-29. Pp. 215-217.

Kreis W., Kaplan M. H., Freeman J., Sun D. K., Sarin P. S. 1990. Inhibition of HIV replication by Hyssop officinalis extracts. Antiviral Research. December;14(6):323-37.

Kyucharants V. 1974. Will the human life span reach one hundred? The Gerontologist. 14:377-380.

Krief S., Lonnqvist F., Raimbault S., Baude B., Van Spronsen A., et al. 1993. Tissue distribution of beta 3-adrenergic receptor mRNA in man. The Journal of Clinical Investigation. 91:344-49.

Kurkin V. A., Zapesochnaya G. G. 1986. Chemical composition and pharmacological properties of Rhodiola rosea. Chemical and Pharmaceutical Journal. (Moscow) 20(10):1231-1244.

Kurmukov A. G., Aizikov M. I., Rakhimov S. S. 1986. Pharmacology of the plant polyphenol epigalokhin. Farmakol Toksikol. March-April;49(2):45-8.

La Du B. N., Aviram M., Billecke S., Navab M., Primo-Parmo S., Sorenson R. C., Standiford T. J. 1999. On the physiological role(s) of the paraoxonases. Chemical-Biological Interactions. May14;119-120:379-88.

Lafontan M., Dang-Tran L., Berlan M. 1979. Alpha-adrenergic antilipolytic effect of adrenaline in human fat cells of the thigh: comparison with adrenaline responsiveness of different fat deposits. European Journal of Clinical Investigation. 9:261-66.

Lam M. and Sulindro M. 2001. Calories that count. **broken link removed**

Laranjinha J. A., Almeida L. M., Madeira V. M. 1994. Reactivity of dietary phenolic acids with peroxyl radicals: antioxidant activity upon low-density lipoprotein peroxidation. Biochemical Pharmacology. 48(3):487-94.

Laranjinha J., Vieira O., Madeira V., Almeida L. 1995. Two related phenolic antioxidants with opposite effects on vitamin E content in low density lipoproteins oxidized by ferrylmyoglobin: consumption vs regeneration. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics. 323(2):373-81.

Lazarova M. B., Petkov V. D., Markovska V. L., Petkov V. V., Mosharrof A. 1986. Effects of meclofenoxate and Extr. Rhodiolae roseae L. on electroconvulsive shock-impaired learning and memory in rats. Methods and Findings in Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology. 8(9):547-552.

Leibel R. L., and Hirsch J. 1987. Site- and sex-related differences in adrenoreceptor status of human adipose tissue. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 64:1205-10.

Lelashvili N. and Dalakishvili S. 1984. Genetic study of high longevity index populations. Mechanisms of Ageing and Development. 28(2-3):261-71.

Lesca P. 1983. Protective effects of ellagic acid and other plant phenols on benzo(a)pyrene-induced neoplasia in mice. Carcinogenesis. 4:1651-1653.

Lishmanov I. B., Trifonova Z. V., Tsibin A. N., Maslova L. V., Dement'eva L. A. 1987. Plasma beta-endorphin and stress hormones in stress and adaptation. Biulleten Eksperimentalnoi Biologii I Meditsiny. April;103(4):422-4.

Lishmanov I. B., Maslova L. V., Maslov L. N., Dan'shina E. N. 1993. The anti-arrhythmia effect of Rhodiola rosea and its possible mechanism. Biulleten Eksperimentalnoi Biologii I Meditsiny. 116(8):175-6.

Lo H. H., and Chung J. G. 1999. The effects of plant phenolics, caffeic acid, chlorogenic acid and ferulic acid on arylamine N-acetyltransferase activities in human gastrointestinal microflora. Anticancer Research. 19(1A):133-9.

Lonnqvist F., Thome A., Nilsell K., Hoffstedt J., Arner P. 1995. A pathogenic role of visceral fat beta 3-adrenoceptors in obesity. The Journal of Clinical Investigation. 95:1109-16.

Lopez-Jimenez F., Mittleman M., Maclure M., Tofler G., Sherwood J., Muller J. 2000. Heavy meals could trigger heart attacks. Veterans Administration Research and Development. Presentation to the American Heart Association scientific meeting in New Orleans. Nov. 14.

Lowe M. E. 1997. Structure and function of pancreatic lipase and colipase. Annual Review of Nutrition. 17:141-158.

Mahmood S., and Smithard R 1993. A comparison of effects of body weight and feed intake on digestion in broiler cockerels with effects of tannins. The British Journal of Nutrition. 70(3):701-709.

Maimeshkulova L. A., Maslov L. N., Lishmanov I. B., Krasnov E. A. 1997. The participation of the mu-, delta- and kappa-opioid receptors in the realization of the anti-arrhythmia effect of Rhodiola rosea. Experimental and Clinical Pharmacopoeia. Moscow. 60:38-39.

Mancini M., Parfitt V. J., Rubba P. 1995. Antioxidants in the Mediterranean diet. The Canadian Journal of Cardiology. 11 Suppl G:105G-109G.

Mazzio E. A., Harris N., Soliman K. F. 1998. Food constituents attenuate monoamine oxidase activity and peroxide levels in C6 astrocyte cells. Planta Medica. 64(7):603-6.

Mandal S., and Stoner G. D. 1990. Inhibition of N-nitrosobenzyl-methylamine-induced esophageal tumorigenesis in rats by ellagic acid. Carcinogenesis. 11:55-61.

Maor I., Hayek T., Hirsh M., Iancu T. C., Aviram M. 2000. Macrophage-released proteoglycans enhance LDL aggregation: studies in aorta from apolipoprotein E-deficient mice. Atherosclerosis. 150(1):91-101.

Marina T. F., Alekseeva L. P., Plotnikova T. M. 1973. The influence of Rhodiola rosea preparation on the Spontaneous bioelectric activity and electrographic reactions of the cortex of the Large Hemispheres and Some subcortical structures. Proceedings of Siberian Department of the USSR Academy of Science. Biological Sciences. 3:85-89.

Martin M. L., and Jensen M. D. 1991. Effects of body fat distribution on regional lipolysis in obesity. The Journal of Clinical Investigation. 88:609-13.

Maslova L. V., Kondrat'ev B., Maslov L. N., Lishmanov I. B. 1994. The cardioprotective and antiadrenergic activity of an extract of Rhodiola rosea in stress. Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology. November-December;57(6):61-3.

Mauriege P., Galitzky J., Berlan M., Lafontan M. 1987. Heterogeneous distribution of beta and alpha-2 adrenoceptor binding sites in human fat cells from various fat deposits: functional consequences. European Journal of Clinical Investigation. 17:156-65.

McBride J., Porter N., Rüchardt., Smith P., MacKay C. 2000. Moses gomberg in Ann Arbor. **broken link removed**

Mchedishvili D. 1999. Georgian language: The history of written language. http://members.tripod.com/ggdavid/georgia/language/bookhist.htm

McKeigue P. M., Laws A., Chen Y. D., Marmot M. G., Reaven G. M. 1993. Relation of plasma triglyceride and apoB levels to insulin-mediated suppression of nonesterified fatty acids. Possible explanation for sex differences in lipoprotein pattern. Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology. 13:1187-92.

McKinney M. 2000. Even modest weight loss reduces diabetes risk. New York Reuters Health Information. May 04.

Micromedex 2001. Medlineplus Drug Information: Angiosensis-converting enzyme (Ace) inhibitors (systemic). August 18. **broken link removed**

Millet J., Chicaud P., Legendre C., Fontaine M. 1984. Improvement of blood filtrability with a purified extract of black currant anthocyanosides in cynomologus monkeys on a fat diet. J Pharmacol. 15(4): 439-45.

Molokovskii D. S., Davydov V. V., Tiulenev V. V 1989. The action of adaptogenic plant preparations in experimental alloxan diabetes. Probl Endokrinol (Mosk). 35(6):82-7.

Moneam N. M., el Sharaky A. S., Badreldin M. M. 1988. Estrogen content of pomegranate seeds. J Chromatogr 22; 438(2): 438-42.

Mori H., Tanaka T., Shima H., Kuniyasu T., Takahashi M. 1986. Inhibitory effect of chlorogenic acid on methylazoxymethanol acetate-induced carcinogenesis in large intestine and liver of hamsters. Cancer Letters. 30 (1):49-54.

Mortensen S. A., Leth A., Agner E., Rohde M. 1997. Dose-related decrease of serum coenzyme Q10 during treatment with HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors. Molecular Aspects of Medicine. 18 Suppl: S137-44.

Morton L. W., Croft K. D., Puddey I. B., Byrne L. 2000. Phenolic acids protect low-density lipoproteins from peroxynitrite-mediated modification in vitro. Redox Report: Communications in Free Radical Research. 5(2-3):124-5.

Motoyashiki T., Miyake M., Morita T., Mizutani K., Masuda H., Ueki H. 1998. Enhancement of the vanadate-stimulated release of lipoprotein lipase activity by astilbin from the leaves of Engelhardtia chrysolepis. Biological & Pharmaceutical Bulletin. 21:5 517-9.

MVPCA (The Mitral Valve Prolapse Center of Alabama). 2001. What are the symptoms of MVP? MVP Symptoms and Testing. 7/27/10. http://www.mvprolapse.com/symtest.htm

Mshavanadze V. V. 1971. Chlorogenic acid in Caucasian blueberry leaves (Vaccinium arctostaphylos L). Bulletin of the Georgian Academy of Sciences. 62:189-192.

Mshavanadze V. V. 1971. Kaempferol glycosides in leaves of Caucasian blueberry Vaccinium arctostaphylos L. Bulletin of the Georgian Academy of Sciences. 62:446-447.

Mshavanadze V. V., Targamadse I. L., Dranik L. I. 1972. Phenolic compounds in leaves of Vaccinium arctostaphylos L. Chemistry of Natural Products. 1(144): 124.

Narayanan A., Geoffroy O., Willingham M., Re Gian., Nixon D. 1999. p53/p21 (WAF1/CIP1) expression and its possible role in G1 arrest and apoptosis in ellagic acid treated cancer cells. Cancer Letters. 136:215-221.

Nardini M., D'Aquino M., Tomassi G., Gentili V., Di Felice M., Scaccini C. 1995. Inhibition of human low-density lipoprotein oxidation by caffeic acid and other hydroxycinnamic acid derivatives. Free Radical Biology & Medicine. 19(5):541-52.

Nardini M., Natella F., Gentili V., Di Felice M., Scaccini C. 1997. Effect of caffeic acid dietary supplementation on the antioxidant defense system in rat: an in vivo study. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics. 1; 342(1):157-160.

NAS (National Academy of Sciences). 1981. The health effects of nitrate, nitrite and N-nitroso compounds. Washington, D. C. National Academy Press.

NAS (National Academy of Sciences). 1982. Diet, nutrition and cancer. Washington, D. C. National Academy Press.

National Parkinson Foundation. 2001. What the patient should know. www.parkinson.org

NCI (National Cancer Institute). 2000. Prevention of cervical cancer - updated. National Cancer Institute/PDQ Physician Statement. OncoLink. University of Pennsylvania Cancer Center. http://cancer.med.upenn.edu/pdq_html/3/engl/304734-3.html.

Neergaard L. 2001. Diabetes Strikes Adults in 30's. Washington D. C. The Associated Press. August 27, 2001.

NEI (National Eye Institute). 2001. Healthy vision 2001 - glaucoma. National Institutes of Healt.h, Department of Health and Human Services. 7/25.

NHLBI (National Hearth, Lung, and Blood Institute) 2001. How you can lower your cholesterol. National Institutes of Health. **broken link removed**

NIMH (National Institutes of Mental Health). 2001. Depression. www. nimh.nih.gov/publicat/
depression.cfm

NFDI (National Foundation for Depressive Illnesses, Inc.). 2001. www.depression.org

NIDDK. (The National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases ) 2001. Statistics related to overweight and obesity. The National Institutes of Health. **broken link removed**

NIDDK and NHLBI (National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, and the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute). 1998. Executive summary: Clinical guidelines on the identification, evaluation, and treatment of overweight and obesity in adults: Obesity Education Initiative National Task Force on Prevention and Treatment of Obesity; North American Association for the Study of Obesity. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 68:899-917.

Nguyen T. T., Mijares A. H., Johnson C. M., Jensen M. D. 1996. Postprandial leg and splanchnic fatty acid metabolism in non-obese men and women. American Journal of Physiology. December;271(6Pt 1):E965-72.

Niwa T., Doi U., Kato Y., Osawa T. 1999. Inhibitory mechanism of sinapinic acid against peroxynitrite-mediated tyrosine nitration of protein in vitro. FEBS Letters. October 1;459(1):43-6.

Nicklaus M., Neamati N., Hong H., Mazumder A., Sunder S., Chen J., Milne G., Pommier Y. 1997. HIV-1 integrase pharmacophore: Discovery of inhibitors through three-dimensional database searching. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 40(6):920-9.

O’Hara V. 2001. Funds pay off at dmanisi: Fossils provide new evidence of hominid migration. **broken link removed**

Ostman J., Backman L., Hallberg D 1975. Cell size and the antilipolytic effect of insulin in human subcutaneous adipose tissue. Diabetologia. 11:159-64.

Paganga G., Miller N., Rice-Evans C. A. 1999. The polyphenolic content of fruit and vegetables and their antioxidant activities. What does a serving constitute? Free Radical Research. 30(2):153-62.

Parkinson’s Action Network. 2001. About parkinson’s disease. www.parkinsonaction.org

PBA (Prevent Blindness America). 2001. Glaucoma alert: Waiting for symptoms can lead to vision loss. Prevent Blindness America News. 8 January. **broken link removed**

Pence B. C., Buddingh F., Yang S. P. 1986. Multiple dietary factors in the enhancement of dimethylhydrazine carcinogenesis: Main effect of indole-3-carbinol. Journal of the National Cancer Institute. 77:269-276.

Peng J. N., Ma C. Y., Ge Y. C. 1994. Chemical constituents of Rhodiola kirilowii (Regel) RegelÍ. Kuo Chung Yao Tsa Chih. 19(11):676-7, 702.

Peters J., Preston-Martin S., London S., Bowman J., Buckley J., Thomas D. 1994. Precessed meats and risk of childhood leukemia. Cancer Causes Control. Mar;5(2):195-202

Petkov V. D., Yonkov D., Mosharoff A., Kambourova T., Alova L., Petkov V. V., Todorov I. 1986. Effects of alcohol aqueous extract from Rhodiola rosea L. roots on learning and memory. Acta Physiologica et Pharmacologica Bulgarica. 12(1):3-16.

PM. (PubMed) 2001. Keyword searches: exercise; meat; vegetables. National Center for Biotechnology Information, National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query

PM (PubMed). 2001. Keyword search: Rhodiola Rosea. National Center for Biotechnology Information, National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query

PM (PubMed). 2001. Keyword searches: Harman D.; Weindruch R. National Center for Biotechnology Information, National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query

PN. (Pesticides News). 1996. Pesticides News. Paraquat fact sheet. Journal of the Pesticides Trust. June(32).

Polozny A. V., Revyakina N. V., Kim E. F., Sviridova T. F. 1985. Rhodiola rosea or Golden-root. Biology of Siberian plants requiring protection. Novosibirsk. Pp.85-114.

Pond E. 1981, 1984, 1988. From the Yaroslavsky Station: Russia Perceived. P. 116. New York. Universe Books.

Prior R. L., and Cao G. 1999. Variability in dietary antioxidant related natural product supplements: the need for method of standardization. JANA Vol. 2 pp. 46-56.

Quigley, H. 1996. Number of people with glaucoma worldwide. British Journal of Opthalmology. 80(5):389-93.

Rebuffe-Scrive M., Lonnroth P., Marin P., Wesslau C., Bjorntorp P., Smith U. 1987. Regional adipose tissue metabolism in men and postmenopausal women. International Journal of Obesity and Related Metabolic Disorders. 11(4):347-55.

Rebuffe-Scrive M., Andersson B., Olbe L., Bjorntorp P. 1989. Metabolism of adipose tissue in intraabdominal depots of nonobese men and women. Metabolism: Clinical and Experimental. 38:453-58.

Reed J. D. 1995. Nutritional toxicology of tannins and related polyphenols in forage legumes. Journal of Animal Science. 73(5):1516-28.

Reeves W. C., Rawls W. E., Brinton L. A. 1989. Epidemiology of genital papillomaviruses and cervical cancer. Review of Infectious Disease. 11(3):426-39.

Reynisdottir S., Ellerfeldt K., Wahrenberg H., Lithell H., Arner P. 1994. Multiple lipolysis defects in the insulin resistance (metabolic) syndrome. The Journal of Clinical Investigation. 93:2590-99.

Reynisdottir S., Wahrenberg H., Carlstrom K., Rossner S., Arner P. 1994. Catecholamine resistance in fat cells of women with upper-body obesity due to decreased expression of beta 2-adrenoceptors. Diabetologia. 37:428-35.

Richelsen B. 1986. Increased alpha 2- but similar beta-adrenergic receptor activities in subcutaneous gluteal adipocytes from females compared with males. European Journal of Clinical Investigation. 16:302-9.

Richelsen B., Pedersen S. B., Moller-Pedersen T., Bak J. F. 1991. Regional differences in triglyceride breakdown in human adipose tissue: effects of catecholamines, insulin, and prostaglandin E2. Metabolism. 40:990-96.

Robinson W. E., Cordeiro M., Abdel-Malek S., Jia Q., Chow S., Reinecke M., Mitchell W. M. 1996. Dicaffeoylquinic acid inhibitors of human immunodeficiency virus integrase: inhibition of the core catalytic domain of human immunodeficiency virus integrase. Molecular Pharmacology. 50(4): 846-55.

Romert L., Jansson T., Curvall M., Jenssen D. 1994. Screening for agents inhibiting the mutagenicity of extracts and constituents of tobacco products. Mutation Research. 322 (2):97-110.

RSWI (Roper Starch Worldwide, Inc.). 2001. America’s Mental Health Survey 2001. The National Mental Health Association. Pp. 2., 11.

Rossiyski D. 1954. Rhododendron a new remedy for regulation of blood circulation insufficiency. Pharmacology and Toxicology. 17:3-12.

Rubin R. J., Harrington C. A., Poon A., Dietrich K., Greene J. A., Moiduddin A. 1999. The economic impact of staphylococcus aureus infection in New York City hospitals. Emerging Infectious Diseases. 5 (1):1-12.

Saleh A., Faten N., Ayyash O., Gasteyer S. 1995. Pesticide usage in the West Bank. Report for the Applied Research Institute-Jerusalem (ARIJ).

Sal’nik. 1979. Ph.D. Thesis. Tomsk State Medicinal Sciences University.

Saloranta C., Franssila-Kallunki A., Ekstr A., Taskinen M.. R., Groop L. 1991. Modulation of hepatic glucose production by non-esterified fatty acids in type 2 (non-insulin-dependent) diabetes mellitus. Diabetologia. 34:409-15.

Saratikov A. 1974. Golden Root (Rhodiola rosea). Tomsk. p155.

Saratikov A., Marina T., Kaliko I. 1965. Stimulative effect of Rhodiola rosea extract on brain function. Proceedings of Siberian Academy of Sciences, Biology and Medicine. 8(22):120-125.

Saratikov A., Cherdinzev S., Tikhonova N. et al. 1968. Effect of CNS stimulant rhodioloside and piridrol on endocrine system. Proceedings of Siberian Academy of Sciences, Biology and Medicine. 15: 72-76.
Saratikov A., Krasnov E. A., Chnikina L. A., Duvidson L. M., Sotova M. I., Marina T. F., Nechoda M. F., Axenova R. A., Tscherdinzeff S. G. 1968. Rhodiolosid, a new glycosid from Rhodiola rosea and its pharmacological properties. Die Pharmazie. 23:392-395.

Saratikov A., Salnik B. U., Revina T. A. 1968. Biochemical Characteristics of the Stimulative Action of Rodosine during prescribed Muscular Workloads. Proceedings of Siberian Department of Academy of Sciences of the USSR. Biological Sciences. 5:108-115.

Saratikov A., and Krasnov E. A. 1987. Rhodiola rosea is a valuable Medicinal Plant. Tomsk. P.252.

Schaffner R. 2000. Science headlines Thursday May 11, 2000. Early human migrants fossils found by Paul Recer, AP science writer. Associated Press; Creature Chronicles. **broken link removed**

Schubert S. Y, Lansky E. P., Neeman I. 1999. Antioxidant and eicosanoid enzyme inhibition properties of pomegranate seed oil and fermented juice flavonoids. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 66(1):11-7.

Seifulla. 1999. Sport Pharmacology Manual. Department of Medico-Biological Problems at the Russian Institute for Highest Sports Achievements, National Research Institute fo Physical Culture and Sport of Russian Federation. VNIIFK - Moscow, Russia.

Shahidi F., Wanasundara P. D., Hong C. 1992. Antioxidant activity of phenolic compounds in meat model system. In Phenolic compounds in food and their effect of health. ACS Symposium, Series 506 Washington, D. C., pp. 214-222.

Shalashvili A. 1967a. Method of total flavonoids extraction from Rhododendron caucasicum. Proceedings of the Georgian Academy of Sciences. 48:603.

Shalashvili A. 1967b. Flavonoids of Rhododendron caucasicum. Proceedings of the Georgian Academy of Sciences. 46:115.

Shalashvili A. 1973. Identification of flavonoids in Rhododendron caucasicum. Plant Biochemistry. 1:214.

Shimizu M., Yoshimi N., Yamada Y., Matsunaga K., Kawabata K., Hara A., Moriwaki H., Mori H.
1999. Suppressive effects of chlorogenic acid on N-methyl-N-nitrosourea-induced glandular stomach carcinogenesis in male F344 rats. The Journal of Toxicological Sciences. 24(5):433-9.
Shopland D. R., Eyre H. J., Pechacek T. F. 1991. Smoking-attributable cancer mortality in 1991: Is lung cancer now the leading cause of death among smokers in the United States? Journal of the National Cancer Institute. 83:1142-1148.

Sigal E., Laughton C. W., Mulkins M. A. 1994. Oxidation, lipoxygenase, and atherogenesis. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. April 18;714:211-24.

Siglin, J. C., Barch D., Stoner G. D. 1995. Effects of phenethyl isothiocyanate, ellagic acid, sulindac and supplementary dietary calcium on the induction and progression of esophageal carcinogenesis in rats induced by short-term administration of N-nitrosomethylbenzylamine. Carcinogenesis. May;16(5):1101-6.

Simonsen L., Bulow J., Madsen J. 1994. Adipose tissue metabolism in humans determined by vein catheterization and microdialysis techniques. American Journal of Physiology. 266:E357-65.

Smith W. A. and Gupta R. C. 1996. Use of microsome-mediated test system to assess efficacy and mechanisms of cancer chemopreventive agents. Carcinogenesis. June;17(6):1285-90.

Smith W. A., Arif J. M., Gupta R. C. 1998. Effect of chemopreventive agents on microsome-mediated DNA adduction of the breast carcinogen dibenzo[a, l]pyrene. Mutation Research. February 13;412(3):307-14.

Smith W. A. and Gupta R. C. 1999. Determining efficacy of cancer chemopreventive agents using a cell-free system concomitant with DNA adduction. Mutation Research. March 10;425(1):143-52.

Smith W. A., Freeman J. W., Gupta R. C. 2001. Effect of chemopreventive agents on DNA adduction induced by the potent mammary carcinogen dibenzo[a, l]pyrene in the human breast cells MCF-7. Mutation Research. September 1;480-481:97-108.

SMVPS (The Society for MVP Syndrome). 2001. Help is available for mitral valve prolapse syndrome! http://www.mitralvalveprolapse.com

Stayer. 1995. Biochemistry. Stamford University Press.

Stoner G. D., Mandal-Chaudhuti S., Daniel E. M. 1992. Chemoprevention of esophageal cancer by ellagic acid and phenethyl isothiocyanate. In Cancer Chemoprevention, ed. Wattenberg L., Lipkin M., Boone C. W., and G. J. Kelloff, pp 407-439. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press.

Stoner G. D., and Mukhtar H. 1995. Polyphenols as cancer chemopreventive agents. Journal of Cellular Biochemistry. 22(Suppl):169-180.

Takagi A., Sai K., Umemura T.., Hasegawa R., Kurokawa Y. 1995. Inhibitory effects of vitamin E and ellagic acid on 8-hydroxydeoxyguanosine formation in liver nuclear DNA of rats treated with 2-nitropropane. Cancer Letters. 91(1):139-44.

Tanaka T., Nishikawa A., Shima H., Sugie S. 1990. Inhibitory effects of chlorogenic acid, reserpine, polyprenoic acid (E-5166), or coffee on hepatocarcinogenesis in rats and hamsters. Japan. Basic Life Sciences. 52:429-34.

Tanaka T., Iwata H., Niwa K., Mori Y., Mori H. 1988) Inhibitory effect of ellagic acid on N-2-fluoenylacetamide-induced liver carcinogenesis in male AC1/N rats. Japanese Journal of Cancer Research: Gann. 79:1297-303.

Tattersall I. and Schwartz J. 2001. Extinct Humans. Boulder, Colorado. Westview Press.

Teel R. and Castonguay A. 1992. Antimutagenic effects of polyphenolic compounds. Cancer Letters. September30;66(2):107-13.

Teselkin I. O., Zhambalova B. A., Babenkova I. V., Tiukavkina N. A. 1996. Antioxidant properties of dihydroquercetin. Biofizika. 41(3):620-4.

TGF. (The Glaucoma Foundation). 2001. 25 July. **broken link removed**

Thiel K. D., Wutzler P., Helbig B., Klocking R., Sprossig M., Schweizer H. 1984. Antiviral effect of enzymatically and nonenzymatically oxidized caffeic and hydrocaffeic acids against Herpesvirus hominis type 1 and type 2 in vitro. Pharmazie. November;39(11):781-2.

Thieme H., and Winkler H. J. 1966. On the occurrence of salidroside in the leaves of the red whortleberry (Vaccinium vitis-idaea L.). Die Pharmazie. 21(3):182.

Thieme H., Walewska E., Winkler H. J. 1969. Isolation of salidroside from leaves of Rhododendron. Die Pharmazie. 24 (12):783.

Thieme H., Winkler H. J. 1971. Die Phenolglycoside der Ericacean. Die Pharmazie. 26:235.

Thresiamma K. and Kuttan R. 1996. Inhibition of liver fibrosis by ellagic acid. Indian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology. Oct;40(4):363-6
Tiukavkina N. A., Rulenko I. A., Kolesnik I. A. 1996. Natural flavonoids as dietary antioxidants and biologically active additives. (Moscow) Nutrition. (2):33-8.

Tiukavkina N. A., Rulenko I. A., Kolesnik I. A. 1997. Dihydroquercetin-a new antioxidant and biologically active food additive. (Moscow) Nutrition. (6): 12-5.

TPH (Toronto Public Health). 1998. Pesticides: A Public Health Perspective. Technical Report. Environmental Protection Office. P. 15.

Tortora G. and Anagnostakos N. 1990. Principles of Anatomy and Physiology. New York: Biological Sciences Textbooks, Inc., A & P Textbooks, Inc., and Elia-Sparta, Inc., HarperCollinsPublishers. Pp. 573, 582; 84, 85.

Tsuchiya T., Suzuki 0., Igarashi K. 1996. Protective effects of chlorogenic acid on paraquat-induced oxidative stress in rats. Bioscience, Biotechnology, and Biochemistry. 60(5):765-8.

Turova A. D. 1974. In Medicinal plants of the U. S. S. R. Moscow: Medicine Press Publisher. P72.

Turova A., Pogorelova, Ovchinnikova A., Golovleva A. 1950. Rhodedenzid - a new heart disease drug from Rhododendron. Russian Journal Pharmacology and toxicology. 13:31-37.

Udintsev S. N., Shakhov V. P. 1989. Decrease in the growth rate of Ehrlich's tumor and Pliss' lymphosarcoma with partial hepatectomy. Voprosy Onkologii. 35(9):1072-5.

Udintsev S. N., and Shakhov V. P. 1990. Changes in clonogenic properties of bone marrow and transplantable mice tumor cells during combined use of cyclophosphane and biological response modifiers of adaptogenic origin. Eksp Onkol. 12(6):55-6.

Udintsev S. N., Shakhov V. P., Borovskoi I. G. 1991. Mechanism of differential effect of low dose adaptogens on the functional activity of normal and transformed cellular elements in vitro. Biophysics. 36(4):624-7.

Udintsev S. N., Shakhov V. P., Borovskoi I. G., Ibragimova S. G. 1991. The effect of low concentration of adaptogen solution on the functional activity of murine bone marrow cells in vitro. Biophysics. 36:105-108.

Udintsev S. N., and Shakhov V. P. 1991. The role of humoral factors of regenerating liver in the development of experimental tumors and the effect of Rhodiola rosea extract on this process. Neoplasma. 38(3):323-31.

Udintsev S. N., Shakhov V. P. 1991. Decrease of cyclophosphamide haematotoxicity by Rhodiola rosea root extract in mice with Erlich and Lewis transplantable tumors. European Journal of Cancer. 27:1182.

Udintsev S. N., Krylova S. G., Fomina T. I. 1992. The enhancement of the efficacy of adriamycin by using hepatoprotectors of plant origin in metastases of Ehrlich's adenocarcinoma to the liver in mice. Oncology. 38(10):1217-22.

Uz T., Pesold C., Longone P., Manev H. 1998. Aging-associated up-regulation of neuronal 5-lipoxygenase expression: putative role in neuronal vulnerability. Journal ASEB; 12(6):439-449.

Vanderhoof J. 2001. Probiotics: future directions. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. June;73(6): 1152S.

Vieira O., et al. 1998) Effect of dietary phenolic compounds on apoptosis of human cultured endothelial cells induced by oxidized LDL. J Pharmacology; 123 (3):565-573.

Vieira O., Escargueil-Blanc I., Meilhac O., Basile J. P., Laranjinha J., Almeida L., Salvayre R., Negre-Salvayre A. 1998. Effect of dietary phenolic compounds on apoptosis of human cultured endothelial cells induced by oxidized LDL. J Pharmacology; 123(3): 565-573.

Wahren J., Sato Y., Ostman J., Hagenfeldt L., Felig P. 1984. Turnover and splanchnic metabolism of free fatty acids and ketones in insulin-dependent diabetics at rest and in response to exercise. The Journal of Clinical Investigation. 73:1367-76.

Wahrenberg H., Lonnqvist F., Arner P. 1989. Mechanisms underlying regional differences in lipolysis in human adipose tissue. The Journal of Clinical Investigation. 84:458-67.

Wang S., and Wang F. P. 1992. Studies on the chemical components of Rhodiola crenulata.
Department of Chemistry of Naturnal Medicinal Products. College of Pharmacy, West China University of Medical Sciences, Chengdu. Yao Hsueh Hsueh Pao. 27(2):117-20.

Wang S., You X. T., Wang F. P. 1992. HPLC determination of salidroside in the roots of Rhodiola genus plants College of Pharmacy. West China University of Medical Sciences, Chengdu. Yao Hsueh Hsueh Pao. 27(11):849-52.
Wardman P. 1993. Free radicals: nature’s way of saying no or molecular murder. Review article from the Gray Laboratory Annual Report, Gray Laboratory Cancer Research Trust.

Weindruch and Walford. 1982. Dietary restriction in mice beginning at 1 year of age: effect on life-span and spontaneous cancer incidence. Science. Mar 12;215(4538):415-8.

Welsch C., Lachance P., Wasserman B. 1989. Dietary phenolic compounds: inhibition of Na+-dependent D-glucose uptake in rat intestinal brush border membrane vesicles. Journal of Nutrition. November;119(11):1698-704.

Wood E. and Wood S. 1992. The World of Psychology. Pp. 498-499. Allyn and Bacon, a division of Simon & Schuster.

Woodward A., and Reed J. D. 1997. Nitrogen metabolism of sheep and goats consuming Acacia brevispica and Sesbania sesban. Journal of Animal Science. 75:1130-1139.

Yakovlev N. Sport Biochemisty. Monograph. Moscow. Pp. 228.

Yamada J., and Tomita Y. 1996. Antimutagenic activity of caffeic acid and related compounds. Bioscience, Biotechnology, and Biochemistry. 60(2):328-9.

Yang C. S. 1980. Research on esophageal cancer in China: a review. Cancer Research. August; 40(8pt1):2633-44.

Yang C. S., Miao J., Yang W., Huang M., Wang T., Xue H., You S., Lu J., Wu J. 1982. Diet and vitamin nutrition of the high esophageal cancer risk population in Linxian, China. Nutrition and Cancer. 4(2):154-64.

Yoshikawa M., Shimada H., Shimoda H., Matsuda H., Yamahara J., Murakami N. 1995. Rhodiocyanosides A and B, new antiallergic cyanoglycosides from Chinese natural medicine "si lie hong jing tian", the underground part of Rhodiola quadrifida (Pall.) Fisch. et Mey. (Tokyo) Chemical & Pharmaceutical Bulletin. July;43(7):1245-7.

Yoshikawa M., Shimada H., Shimoda H., Murakami N., Yamahara J., Matsuda H. 1996. Bioactive constituents of Chinese natural medicines. II. Rhodiolae radix. (1). Chemical structures and antiallergic activity of rhodiocyanosides A and B from the underground part of Rhodiola quadrifida (Pall.) Fisch. et Mey. (Crassulaceae). Kyoto. (Toyko) Chemical & Pharmaceutical Bulletin. November;44(11):2086-91.
Zapuskalova. 1962. Russian Journal of Central Nervous System Function. 1:184-185.
Zazinski J. 2000. Small loss is a big gain. Boston University Research Briefs. March 17.

Zhang Z. H., Feng S. H., Hu G. D., Cao Z. K., Wang L. Y. 1989. Effect of Rhodiola maxim on preventing high altitude reactions. A comparison of cardiopulmonary function in villagers at various altitudes. Chung Kuo Chung Yao Tsa Chih. November;14(11):687-90, 704.

Zhang Z., Wang L., Chen Q., Feng S., Cao Z., Zhou X., Hu G., Jiang P., Cao Y. 1990. Electron microscopic observation of the effects of Rhodiola kirilowii (Regel.) Maxim. In preventing damage of the rat viscera by a hypoxic high altitude environment. Chung Kuo Chung Yao Tsa Chih. 15(3):177-81, 192.

cycle yohimbe?

Do you guys cycle yohimbe? I was thinking 8 weeks on and 1 week off (and repeat). I'm about 25 and 27 weeks out from 2 national qualifiers. Thanks

Depends on your dosing.

A double bagged cup of green tea with your yomhimbine and some tryamine before your empty stomach AM cardio.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws