over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Women and long term use of thyroid

pumpkinhead

Registered
do any of you women use thyroid for the long term? My wife is trying to shed the last 10lbs and having a hell of a time. Scale has been stuck at 163 for a VERY long time.

Her bod pod results yielded 18% bf @163.

she is trying to get down to about 150, she no longer wishes to compete, and couldn't right now if she wanted to because every diet for the past 2 years has failed to yield any results. The diets she has tried are ones she has used in the past for previous shows and are known to work on her body. Tried professional bodybuilding diet coach, he has failed too.

she had been taking 40mcg of T3 for roughly 6 months now, we are starting to wonder if this is having a reverse effect on her weight loss (R-T3). She will most likely stop taking it soon if nothing changes.

Her current diet is 50/25/25 protein/carb/fat... @1600 cals a day. We have not dropped her calories any lower because she does not have a time frame to drop the weight...so the 1LB a week is our goal. After her metabolic testing we know that 1600 is her maintenance intake, BEFORE any exercise.

She does 5 days of weights a week, 4 days of 45min cardio sessions.

should we cut the thyroid? (regardless of your opinion on thyroid, please only respond if you have experience with it) in matter to this question please.

Last edited:
My advice has to always been to stay away from thyroid sups. Women rebound real bad from it. I know many who have jacked themselves up from it and have to stay on thyroid drugs the rest of their life. One top "guru" puts most of his females on it and I know another guru who later has to take on the other guys clients to try to get the thyroid going again as he's got a successful therapy program he's came up with.

Is she taking it to simply loose weight or does she have a slow thyroid? I take a thyroid supp because my thyroid is slow and have to work four times harder to loose even a pound. If shes going to stop it...do it in increments so her body has a chance to get used to it. Good luck to you!

Most evidence now supports that your thyroid hormone rebounds very quickly. The old school thinking of that you will be stuck on it for life is out the window. Most university studies are now showing they were wrong. People that were put on thyroid drugs mistakenly were taken off after years of use, and they recovered anywhere from a couple days to a couple weeks. The study concludes that the thyroid responds very quickly once taken off any form of thyroid, no matter if your on two weeks or two years.

I know this is counter intuitive to everything us old school people have been taught.

At any rate she was not responding to the T3, so I took her off anyhow. She has since switched her diet to a TKD approach after one of our friends who had been thru a similar problem had suggested it (national level comp. female)

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws