over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Work on your weakness!

animal eater

Registered
One of the best pieces of advice that my Dad ever gave me while studying in university was this: Don't waste time going over what you already know. Human's are funny creatures. We like validation. Because of this we tend to continually go over what we are proficient in to stoke our own egos and walk in our comfort zone.

This advice really applies in strength training/ bodybuilding. How many time in the gym do you see people hammering away at a strong body part while paying little attention to a weakness. I know that the last few years that I have had to work on my squats as they were not in the same league as my bench presses or deadlifts. Little by little they are coming up even at 42.

When looking at overall fitness there are three main components. Strength, fitness and flexibility. If longevity and balance is important, don't neglect any of the three. Lack of flexibility leads to injury and a host of other challenges. Lack of fitness is obviously also detrimental to your overall health. Take home message is be honest with yourself and work on your weakness's instead of hammering away on your strengths.

I wonder if you ever thought that the guy "hammering away at the strong bodypart" is doing it because he likes to do it. Weightlifting in a gym is not like obtaining a degree in college (where the latter necessitates external evaluation). Weightlifting can be done for the sheer joy of the activity.

I wonder if you ever thought that the guy "hammering away at the strong bodypart" is doing it because he likes to do it. Weightlifting in a gym is not like obtaining a degree in college (where the latter necessitates external evaluation). Weightlifting can be done for the sheer joy of the activity.

Agreed that the "sheer joy of activity" is important. My point is that if you seek to improve anything, it takes an honest accounting of one's strengths and often more important, one's weakness's.

I like this post. Too many of us forget this. I particularly like the triad you mention, and think that way too many of us forget about fitness. There are a good number of us that walk around with poor fitness and this is evident in our posts. Walking around and getting a high heart rate from just going up the steps, breaking a sweat tying our shoes, or getting winded doing a set of bicep curls. taking all sort of compounds under the sun with the goal of putting on a few extra pounds of muscle.

How many people do you know that go to the gym because they like lifting? Now ask yourself, how many of those people bitch about having small legs that don't match their upper body? If a person doesn't like lifting, they won't last long in the gym, this will be very evident over the next 2-3 months. But, like the O/T stated, people like validation, that's just how we are wired. Nobody wants to bench 365 for 10 reps, then get under a squat rack and struggle to get 10 reps at 225, so they skip squatting while everything else goes up. Gyms are full of people like this, 99% of people do not lift for the sheer joy of the activity. It's not fun pushing yourself 100% all the time in the gym

I like this post. Too many of us forget this. I particularly like the triad you mention, and think that way too many of us forget about fitness. There are a good number of us that walk around with poor fitness and this is evident in our posts. Walking around and getting a high heart rate from just going up the steps, breaking a sweat tying our shoes, or getting winded doing a set of bicep curls. taking all sort of compounds under the sun with the goal of putting on a few extra pounds of muscle.[/QUOTE}

Thanks maldorf, glad you enjoyed the post. I always believe to complete anything in life, you need to recognize when and where you are sufficient vs. deficient.

How many people do you know that go to the gym because they like lifting? Now ask yourself, how many of those people bitch about having small legs that don't match their upper body? If a person doesn't like lifting, they won't last long in the gym, this will be very evident over the next 2-3 months. But, like the O/T stated, people like validation, that's just how we are wired. Nobody wants to bench 365 for 10 reps, then get under a squat rack and struggle to get 10 reps at 225, so they skip squatting while everything else goes up. Gyms are full of people like this, 99% of people do not lift for the sheer joy of the activity. It's not fun pushing yourself 100% all the time in the gym

Agreed, the gym, a relationship, work, etc. Sometimes it isn't going to be fun but when the result comes from hard work and reflection, it is all worth the while.

Weaknesses keep you humble, too.

Just as a personal experience on the matter:

I had some small calves 18 months ago. I felt so embarrassed about them that I would never wear shorts to the gym, ever (even on leg days!). Idk what i was trying to prove or why i was so self-conscious. I just was. Then I read about Arnold having a similar problem and how he made himself wear shorts to reveal his weakness and work them like crazy. I decided to do the same.

Well, I measured my calves last night, and they are 1.5" bigger than they were 18 months ago! Not to mention the overall difference in development and visible separations between the soleus and gastrocnemius. Now I only wear shorts to the gym!

The point is this: the last 18 months have been very humbling, but i've become stronger through this exercise. My calves are by no means a 'strong' bodypart, but they have come a long way.

Weakness -> humility -> teachability -> effective training -> results

Weaknesses keep you humble, too.

Just as a personal experience on the matter:

I had some small calves 18 months ago. I felt so embarrassed about them that I would never wear shorts to the gym, ever (even on leg days!). Idk what i was trying to prove or why i was so self-conscious. I just was. Then I read about Arnold having a similar problem and how he made himself wear shorts to reveal his weakness and work them like crazy. I decided to do the same.

Well, I measured my calves last night, and they are 1.5" bigger than they were 18 months ago! Not to mention the overall difference in development and visible separations between the soleus and gastrocnemius. Now I only wear shorts to the gym!

The point is this: the last 18 months have been very humbling, but i've become stronger through this exercise. My calves are by no means a 'strong' bodypart, but they have come a long way.

Weakness -> humility -> teachability -> effective training -> results[/QUOTE

I really like your point about humility.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
MindMuscle88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws